Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • johannis
    • By johannis 20th Sep 16, 10:41 PM
    • 61Posts
    • 13Thanks
    johannis
    Sorting out our phone and broadband?
    • 20th Sep 16, 10:41 PM
    Sorting out our phone and broadband? 20th Sep 16 at 10:41 PM
    Sorry if this is a bit basic for these forums, but I am struggling to see the wood from the trees after a few days of trawling the Internet for an answer. (I am not sure I am asking the right question)
    We have had work done to our house and we need to replace a couple of damaged phone sockets.
    Before the work was done were getting ok speeds but nothing like the speeds that sky promise. ( I believe we should be getting 20mb but rarely got close to 10!). I had spent fairly fruitless long phone calls with Sky engineers trying to iron out the issue with little success. The speed is ok for now, but I'd like to get more of our content through streaming and Internet and there seems little point in doing so until we have a decent connection.
    My question really is who is best to advise and fix our issues, BT who I presume is responsible for the line coming to the house, Sky who provide the broadband or do I get an independent engineer to sort it out or would it be cheaper in the long run and switch to something like infinity?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 20th Sep 16, 11:34 PM
    • 1,437 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 20th Sep 16, 11:34 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 11:34 PM
    Who did the work at your house.

Do you have the router plugged in at the master socket ?

I think 10 Mbps is ok for streaming.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 21st Sep 16, 8:20 AM
    • 323 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:20 AM
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:20 AM
    10Mbps is fine for normal non-HD programme streaming, but may struggle on HD streaming, especially if you're doing other things at the same time on the internet.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 21st Sep 16, 9:38 AM
    • 8,564 Posts
    • 3,448 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:38 AM
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:38 AM
    As above how are you connected .
    BT OR have to be contacted from SKY .

How are you measuring this speed is it over WiFi . What speed etc is showing in the router .
    • johannis
    • By johannis 21st Sep 16, 10:21 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    johannis
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:21 AM
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:21 AM
    Morning all thanks for the replies.
    So, we have had a number of different tradesmen working on stuff in the house and while i suspect it was the damp course people who affected our connection it was something we were going to have to sort out anyway.

The router is not in the master socket, the master socket is old and not particularly conveniently placed.

In terms of speed, i've tried the online sites and sky have measured it at their end. 10mb is about the best we get but its lower that surrounding properties are getting (or so sky tell me). it was also tested in the master socket and while better not much above 10mb

Sky is our broadband provider i've always assumed that BT provide the line but we currently pay BT nothing.

I think the bottom line is that if we want to make the most of the way TV etc is going we need a quicker and more consistent internet connection. i'm just not sure who is best to contact to sort this out for me.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 21st Sep 16, 10:36 AM
    • 9,037 Posts
    • 19,613 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:36 AM
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:36 AM
    You cannot contact open reach direct, your isp has to do that for you

You pay sky line rental, they pay BT /OR

It's sky you need to chase

Because they say the problem is not their end, then you will end up paying for the OR call out, and that's not cheap

A lot of factors can mess with the speed over wifi. My friend lives next door to a box, her wifi BB is dire, and I mean you can't even watch a YouTube video. Soon as she connects via Ethernet , she's on speeds of 20+
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • johannis
    • By johannis 21st Sep 16, 4:25 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    johannis
    • 21st Sep 16, 4:25 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 4:25 PM
    Part of the problem i have is that i'm not even sure that what i think is the master socket actually is the master socket?
    there is a box, roughly in the area the line enters the house, but that doesn't have a socket, the nearest socket to it may be the master socket but its difficult to trace the wiring back because of flooring and panelling.
    Our house was previously owned by a bit of a DIY bodge it merchant so i'm always discovering oddities.

I think in the end we'll need to get someone in to sort the whole thing out. I appreciate that as our provider Sky should be my first call but i'm not necessarily beholden to them and i will be significantly reducing my tv package soon and not really bothered about where the broadband come from as long as its reliable.
    Is it worth threatening them about leaving to get them to come and sort as you might with getting them to reduce your TV costs or is this a completely different thing?

thanks
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 22nd Sep 16, 12:29 PM
    • 516 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:29 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:29 PM
    Has the BB been off a while during the works? Might just need a couple of weeks to settle down. Can't see how changing ISP will change anything - it's all down the same line. 10mps is pretty good tbh if it's non-fibre BB - I used to only get about 8 on a good day. Now switched to fibre and get about 20 ish. Still managed to stream movies and play on PS4 with before I switched.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 22nd Sep 16, 5:49 PM
    • 1,437 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:49 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:49 PM
    master sockets look like this. (unless it was installed a long time ago)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BT-Master-Socket-New-OpenReach-Brand-NTE5-NTE5a-Faceplate-BNIB-BackBox-/182286899625?hash=item2a712559a9:g:RbkAAOSwL7VWpk8 x
    • johannis
    • By johannis 22nd Sep 16, 7:57 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    johannis
    Thanks again, we don't have anything like that master socket, we have an anonymous looking box more or less where the phone line comes in and then an extension running off it (which I know won't help)
    The broadband wasn't off for any significant length of time and it's working ok at the moment, I think basically what I'm asking is I'm going to spend a bit of money resoring the sockets to a more convenient place do I spend more to ensure as good a service as I can afford?
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 22nd Sep 16, 8:04 PM
    • 1,437 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    AndyPK
    The best solution is to start using your 10Mbps connection and see if its good enough for what you want.

Sadly other way forwards are likely to waste money and could well achieve little.

I wouldn't waste money on fibre if you get 10mbps.

What you really want is a DIYer to sort it !

And get them to fit one of these, and a power socket next to it for the router.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BT-Master-Socket-DSL-ADSL-Phone-Filter-Faceplate-Box-4-Openreach-Nte5a-/261398618797?hash=item3cdc9262ad:g:rvYAAOSwoydWp63 k

The router will only work plugged into this then, (at line entry)
    Last edited by AndyPK; 22-09-2016 at 8:06 PM.
    • johannis
    • By johannis 25th Sep 16, 10:30 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    johannis
    I think you are right, to be honest I think this whole thread is about getting me to a point where I understand the question I want to ask and who to ask it to!
    I think getting the line (master socket) situation sorted out first is the way forward. From what you are saying getting Sky/BT out could be pricey and I'm better contacting an independent to come and sort.

Thank you all for the time and advice
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 26th Sep 16, 12:22 AM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    Ian011
    If the wiring in the house is terrible, and the phone sockets aren't in the right place for what you want, it may be useful to replace all of the internal wiring and sockets. Any competent person could do that.

However, before any of that, go outside and trace where your phone line comes from, most likely an overhead cable from a pole out in the street. Does the cable travel a long way along the outside before entering the property? Would it make sense to have it enter at a different location?

If your phone line is faulty, or develops a fault in the future, it is often an issue with the overhead cable. If this ever needs to be replaced, BT could fit a modern master socket at the same time. If you get a particularly helpful technician, the new cable could run to a different location - especially if it means a shorter cable run.
    • johannis
    • By johannis 26th Sep 16, 5:45 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    johannis
    Thanks, I appreciate the reply and I think you are right but I don't think there is anything faulty with the line, is just not great. I think one way or another I'm going to have to pay to get it sorted out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,121Users online

Martin's Twitter