Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CitizenJones
    • By CitizenJones 20th Sep 16, 9:33 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    CitizenJones
    WARNING - Wowcher cheap watches are FAKES
    • 20th Sep 16, 9:33 PM
    WARNING - Wowcher cheap watches are FAKES 20th Sep 16 at 9:33 PM
    There's some great discounts on designer watches advertised on Wowcher - in the region of £400+ discount on £600 watches

My first reaction was that it must be too good to be true but stupidly I thought Wowcher would not be involved in the sale of fake goods.

How wrong I was.

When the watch turned up, it looked good to the eye - but as soon as I picked it up I realised something was wrong. It just didn't feel right - cheap and nasty and nothing like a £600 watch. A quick trip to the high street confirmed this beyond doubt. The real thing felt heavy and great on the wrist, the fake that I bought through Wowcher was much too light and felt scratchy and not very pleasant to wear.

To try and get an idea of where this could have came from, I thought I'd look up the same watch on the "dark web" marketplace alphabay and sure enough an identical looking fake is available for scammers to buy for around £60 from China - so that's a nice £100+ profit for the scammer plus a nice commission for Wowcher to skim off the top.

Just to warn you all, the deal was from "Gray Kingdom" run by a guy called Luke Gray based in Sunderland. If you do a quick google search for "luke gray SR5 2TA" and click on the companies house link it shows that he running a number operations selling these watches.

Anyway, I was stung by not trusting my first instinct and believing in the Wowcher brand name. So I guess I've learnt something at least.

PLEASE DON'T BE TAKEN IN BY CHEAP DESIGNER WATCHES ON WOWCHER - OR FROM GRAYS KINGDOM / KINGDOM AVENUE - THEY ARE FAKES!!!!

I am also reporting all of this to the trading standards authority, so hopefully it will eventually get shut down.

As Martin always says, if it seems too good to be true then it probably is!
Page 1
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 21st Sep 16, 11:55 AM
    • 12,463 Posts
    • 10,578 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:55 AM
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:55 AM
    I'd suggest you demand your cash back from wowcher, and alert the brand owners to the fakes. Nobody is more excited to prevent fakes diluting their brands than the brand IP owners.
    • CitizenJones
    • By CitizenJones 22nd Sep 16, 3:51 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CitizenJones
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:51 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:51 PM
    Thanks. I have talked Wowcher and they have asked me to send the watch back, directly to them - which I have. Will see what happens, but even if they refund the full cost (which I believe they have to by law) I'm pretty annoyed by this.

I might also add that I weighed the watch before I sent it back to them this morning. It barely weighed 160g. It should weigh around 490g. So that explains why it felt so cheap, despite looking almost identical to the real thing.

I notice that they are still sending out email advertising these counterfeit watches this afternoon though. Will be interesting to see if this continues.

I'd steer well clear of buying any designer goods from Wowcher in the meantime!
    • fleshandbone
    • By fleshandbone 22nd Sep 16, 4:05 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    fleshandbone
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:05 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:05 PM
    If it looks to good to be too true......It usually is.
    People that correct your spelling/grammar on forums and message boards are very uninteresting...bore off!
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 22nd Sep 16, 8:38 PM
    • 14,347 Posts
    • 10,120 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:38 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:38 PM
    Who has confirmed it's a fake?
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 23rd Sep 16, 7:46 AM
    • 3,757 Posts
    • 22,308 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 23rd Sep 16, 7:46 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 7:46 AM
    And a simple two second glance of the website!
    http://www.graykingdom.com/pages/about-us

Fool

Money!
    Two Lovers
    Siting on a bench in Sydney Park
    • pleasedelete
    • By pleasedelete 23rd Sep 16, 9:32 AM
    • 2,100 Posts
    • 3,526 Thanks
    pleasedelete
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:32 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:32 AM
    The grammar and spelling on the website is poor, are they even Uk based?
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
    • pleasedelete
    • By pleasedelete 23rd Sep 16, 9:33 AM
    • 2,100 Posts
    • 3,526 Thanks
    pleasedelete
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:33 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:33 AM
    And no address or telephone number
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 23rd Sep 16, 9:55 AM
    • 14,347 Posts
    • 10,120 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:55 AM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:55 AM
    I have to agree about the grammar.
    When you google gray kingdom you get this gem
    "UK Jewellers what serves customers all over the world selling huge brands at the lowest costs."

More than a hint of Ernie Wise and " the plays what I have wrote"
    Last edited by hollydays; 23-09-2016 at 9:57 AM.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 24th Sep 16, 10:45 AM
    • 3,266 Posts
    • 3,448 Thanks
    robatwork
    They can't even spell Jewellery correctly.

Did you say "Wowcher!" when it arrived? Or something less annoying and more Anglo-Saxon?
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 24th Sep 16, 12:47 PM
    • 14,347 Posts
    • 10,120 Thanks
    hollydays
    The op needs to update this thread as to the result.
    Also name which watch he bought.
    Anyone could ' say' they received something different to what they ordered
    • CitizenJones
    • By CitizenJones 26th Sep 16, 4:05 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CitizenJones
    Wowcher received the watch back from me on Friday and then told me they also wanted the original box too. A little odd as the watch is clearly a fake (and annoying that they didn't ask for this in the first place). I have a bad feeling they may end up just passing the counterfeit goods back to the retailer to be resold.

The watch model was a Burberry BU9381. The fake I was sent weight 160g. It should weigh 498g, so that's a little bit of a giveaway!

Citizens Advice consumer service have also got back in touch with me in the meantime, requesting details to pass on the appropriate Trading Standards office as apparently selling counterfeit goods is a criminal offense. Will be interesting to see where that goes.

Anyway, I sent the box back to Wowcher on Saturday. I'll post up any resolution or lack of as it happens.

Be careful out there!
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 26th Sep 16, 4:28 PM
    • 14,347 Posts
    • 10,120 Thanks
    hollydays
    Wowcher received the watch back from me on Friday and then told me they also wanted the original box too. A little odd as the watch is clearly a fake (and annoying that they didn't ask for this in the first place). I have a bad feeling they may end up just passing the counterfeit goods back to the retailer to be resold.

The watch model was a Burberry BU9381. The fake I was sent weight 160g. It should weigh 498g, so that's a little bit of a giveaway!

Citizens Advice consumer service have also got back in touch with me in the meantime, requesting details to pass on the appropriate Trading Standards office as apparently selling counterfeit goods is a criminal offense. Will be interesting to see where that goes.

Anyway, I sent the box back to Wowcher on Saturday. I'll post up any resolution or lack of as it happens.

Be careful out there!
    Originally posted by CitizenJones
    So what did the retailer say to you when you said to them the watch was fake?

Which box are they asking for?
    The presentation box?

Why if you are so sure they have broken the law, do you suddenly thing wowcher are going to send Them the item back?
    Presumably they want to check The tamper proof seal?
    Last edited by hollydays; 26-09-2016 at 4:38 PM.
    • CitizenJones
    • By CitizenJones 26th Sep 16, 5:12 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CitizenJones
    So what did the retailer say to you when you said to them the watch was fake?

Which box are they asking for?
    The presentation box?

Why if you are so sure they have broken the law, do you suddenly thing wowcher are going to send Them the item back?
    Presumably they want to check The tamper proof seal?
    Well the retailer didn't respond so I sent it back to Wowcher because they have asked me too... and that seems my best way of getting a refund - i.e. they have a brand reputation that they presumably care about.

It's the presentation box they have asked for in addition to the watch - and yes, I don't actually know what they want with it so I can only speculate. There is no "tamperproof seal" in any case.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 26th Sep 16, 5:14 PM
    • 14,347 Posts
    • 10,120 Thanks
    hollydays
    Ah.
    Who told you how much it should weigh?
    • CitizenJones
    • By CitizenJones 26th Sep 16, 5:30 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CitizenJones
    The genuine weight is available on many different watch database websites, such as watch-db.com, and also on other reputable retailers' sites, such as amazon.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 26th Sep 16, 5:50 PM
    • 14,347 Posts
    • 10,120 Thanks
    hollydays
    The problem this board has seen before, iss where people try to
    Blackmail companies with allegations that haven't been proven, so it's likely that companies will possible consider that the watch a person is sent, may not be the same watch they are sending back.
    It's an old trick some try, unfortunately.
    • CitizenJones
    • By CitizenJones 26th Sep 16, 6:14 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CitizenJones
    Not quite sure what you're saying or what I'm supposed to be getting out of this.

Hopefully Trading Standards will take this seriously. I'm sure they have the resources to independently verify the situation.

I will post whatever updates happen when they do.
    • Lingua
    • By Lingua 26th Sep 16, 6:35 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    Lingua
    Not quite sure what you're saying or what I'm supposed to be getting out of this.

Hopefully Trading Standards will take this seriously. I'm sure they have the resources to independently verify the situation.

I will post whatever updates happen when they do.
    Originally posted by CitizenJones
    That the company is going to be checking out your story as it will be watching out for an attempt to fleece it of money.

The scam that would normally be carried out is buying an authentic item (in this case the watch), then telling the company the item that you received is a fake. This is why a lot of companies weigh packages before they are sent out. That way, if someone tries to send back a fake and the weight is different, they know it's a scam.

As you're not doing that, they should get back to you soon and hopefully offer a refund. This is something they would want to avoid as it's damaging to their reputation.

Lingua
    Long-Term Goal: £6'460 / £40'000 mortgage downpayment (2019)
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 26th Sep 16, 6:45 PM
    • 14,347 Posts
    • 10,120 Thanks
    hollydays
    Burberry watches aren't a watch house as such , they are made by fossil, and burberry aren't renewing the licence with fossil , which could explain several Things, or not..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

730Posts Today

5,660Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Morning. On way to @gmb for 7:40 slot, this week warning to parents about student finance, get paid to cut debt costs, free cafe nero & more

• Follow Martin