Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • booklover500
    • By booklover500 20th Sep 16, 5:31 PM
    • 124Posts
    • 537Thanks
    booklover500
    Suddenly getting loads of spam
    • 20th Sep 16, 5:31 PM
    Suddenly getting loads of spam 20th Sep 16 at 5:31 PM
    I used to only get a couple of spam emails a day and now I seem to be getting about 25 or more. This has happened since I signed up to SuperSavvyMe a week ago - this may be a coincidence but I have unsubscribed just in case.

Have any of you had a similar problem or do you know which comp/site may have generated it?

Thanks
Page 1
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 20th Sep 16, 5:41 PM
    • 30,107 Posts
    • 172,141 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 20th Sep 16, 5:41 PM
    Not had problems with them (they are Procter & Gamble) but there have been a few dodgy competitions posted recently.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 20th Sep 16, 5:41 PM
    • 8,100 Posts
    • 9,792 Thanks
    hazyjo
    When you say 'spam' do you mean just newsletters? You have to be really careful with the tickboxes - some are quite sneaky in their wording or location.

You should be able to just unsubscribe to each one, or change your settings on the site itself.

If you mean 'dodgy stuff', I get that anyway and it's not comp related. I keep getting ones in my spam from 'Boots' at the mo. I just ignore.

Jx
    2016 wins: ESPA gift set; jumper; lip balm x 2; kitchen scales; perfume; shoes; theatre tickets; Champagne; books; After Eights; Diet Coke; Molton Brown duo; fish slice; travel set
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 20th Sep 16, 5:50 PM
    • 8,224 Posts
    • 279,863 Thanks
    BlueBella
    • 20th Sep 16, 5:50 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 5:50 PM
    When you say 'spam' do you mean just newsletters? You have to be really careful with the tickboxes - some are quite sneaky in their wording or location.

You should be able to just unsubscribe to each one, or change your settings on the site itself.

If you mean 'dodgy stuff', I get that anyway and it's not comp related. I keep getting ones in my spam from 'Boots' at the mo. I just ignore.

Jx
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    Me too - those boots ones are driving me nuts! I also get similar ebay ones now
    A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
    • booklover500
    • By booklover500 20th Sep 16, 11:16 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    booklover500
    • 20th Sep 16, 11:16 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 11:16 PM
    When you say 'spam' do you mean just newsletters?
    I mean dodgy ones - I just got in from work and had 30 just in a few hours! I very rarely had them before. They are for all sorts of things but I don't open any of them

I am always very careful with tick boxes etc - I've been comping a couple of years now and never had this before - it's really annoying
    • bullshot
    • By bullshot 21st Sep 16, 7:20 AM
    • 3,995 Posts
    • 65,238 Thanks
    bullshot
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:20 AM
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:20 AM
    I've noticed a sudden increase in' spam' too.My MacBook is old and slow now ( just like me) and I am waiting on a new one (MacBook Pro, from my son, I love his cast offs) , should be here this week, meanwhile have stopped comping( over a week since I entered a competition, weather has been good for walking, cycling and fishing) but my spam has increased considerably,getting stuff in my inbox that used to be in ' junk'
    • diddlydoop
    • By diddlydoop 21st Sep 16, 7:26 AM
    • 2,764 Posts
    • 702,964 Thanks
    diddlydoop
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:26 AM
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:26 AM
    Ive had a huge increase over the last week or so Boots Ebay Morrissons British Airways and Marks and Spencer. Think i'd be a millionaire if they were all genuine.
    • booklover500
    • By booklover500 21st Sep 16, 8:15 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    booklover500
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:15 AM
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:15 AM
    Mine seem to be coming from the States - they mention Walmart offers, child-offender maps, hook-ups etc but I haven't entered any American comps. They all go into my spam folder bit it means if I ever do have a genuine win it will be much more difficult to spot amongst the 30 odd junk emails.
    • Stevie Palimo
    • By Stevie Palimo 21st Sep 16, 8:23 AM
    • 2,518 Posts
    • 3,696 Thanks
    Stevie Palimo
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:23 AM
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:23 AM
    Block the domain they are sending these from and that will ease the emails from each sender, When you enter all these comps well the vast majority of them are about gaining data as the Companies all use and sell this on.

So win a free ipad comp may get 250k people enter it and they then use and sell all this data a few times = no brainer and easy data gathering plus profit on what is sold.
    " I refuse to censor myself because it may offend someone. If you don't like me that's ok, I don't need your approval. "
    • booklover500
    • By booklover500 21st Sep 16, 10:26 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    booklover500
    Thanks - I'm not very good with tech - how do i block a domain on gmail please anyone?
    • Stevie Palimo
    • By Stevie Palimo 21st Sep 16, 10:29 AM
    • 2,518 Posts
    • 3,696 Thanks
    Stevie Palimo
    The email is spam

Gmail tries to keep spam out of your inbox, but sometimes messages get through. If you see a spam message in your inbox:

Computer

1.Open Gmail.
    2.Select the message you'd like to report.
    3.In the toolbar above your emails, click the spam button Report spam icon. If you have the message open, you can also report it as spam by using the same button.

Remember, every time you report spam or phishing, it helps us identify those emails as spam for you in the future.

More help here :- https://support.google.com/mail/answer/8151?hl=en
    " I refuse to censor myself because it may offend someone. If you don't like me that's ok, I don't need your approval. "
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 21st Sep 16, 11:26 AM
    • 8,224 Posts
    • 279,863 Thanks
    BlueBella
    Ive had a huge increase over the last week or so Boots Ebay Morrissons British Airways and Marks and Spencer. Think i'd be a millionaire if they were all genuine.
    Originally posted by diddlydoop
    I am getting the same as you - wondered what we entered to get these lot!
    A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 21st Sep 16, 11:58 AM
    • 4,167 Posts
    • 24,267 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    My btinternet account is awful for spam at the minute and most land in my inbox. Am reporting every one as spam and blocking the sender. Trouble is emails I want and those I have added to my contacts (mainly freepostcode lottery) are going to spam box despite always moving to inbox and them being listed on my contacts.
    • booklover500
    • By booklover500 21st Sep 16, 12:44 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    booklover500
    1.Open Gmail.
    2.Select the message you'd like to report.
    3.In the toolbar above your emails, click the spam button Report spam icon. If you have the message open, you can also report it as spam by using the same button.

Remember, every time you report spam or phishing, it helps us identify those emails as spam for you in the future.

More help here :- https://support.google.com/mail/answer/8151?hl=en
    Thank you very much - I will have a look at the link. They are all going straight to the spam folder but I wish I could stop them coming through at all so I will report them too.
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 21st Sep 16, 3:40 PM
    • 2,614 Posts
    • 227,519 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    In the last couple of weeks I seem to be getting a lot more "Doorstop Loans", "Logbook loans", "homecredit" type spam, not sure where they're coming from.

I'm also getting a lot of

"Iphone has a surprise for you"
    "just Eat has a surprise for you"
    "Argos has a surprise for you"

Moreso than the usual spam I get.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 21st Sep 16, 4:38 PM
    • 30,107 Posts
    • 172,141 Thanks
    mjm3346
    In the last couple of weeks I seem to be getting a lot more "Doorstop Loans", "Logbook loans", "homecredit" type spam, not sure where they're coming from.

Originally posted by sleepyjones
    I had some just eat ones as well
    • sammi86
    • By sammi86 21st Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    sammi86

Originally posted by sleepyjones
    i'm getting these and morrisons etc. But its not on my comping account, its on the one i use for banking and internet shopping and anything thats not comping related. its driving me mad
    • fraserbooks
    • By fraserbooks 22nd Sep 16, 11:51 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 3,938 Thanks
    fraserbooks
    I have the same problem. They seem to be generated in America, Almecurque. I have tried unsubscribe which works for the individual companies but there seems to be a central source. I don't think supersavvyme is to blame as I subscribed to them long before I had the problem. It seems to be one site passing my details onto lots of other companies.
    • booklover500
    • By booklover500 22nd Sep 16, 12:14 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    booklover500
    I have the same problem. They seem to be generated in America, Almecurque. I have tried unsubscribe which works for the individual companies but there seems to be a central source. I don't think supersavvyme is to blame as I subscribed to them long before I had the problem. It seems to be one site passing my details onto lots of other companies.

It sounds like the same thing as me - I am getting up to 10 at a time. I have unsubscribed to those that I can but some have links that don't work and others won't display the unsubscribe link has I am not allowed to fully open the email. Some are definitely really dodgy but others are for real, slightly more genuine companies.

I just wish I know which company/comp it originated from.
    • fraserbooks
    • By fraserbooks 23rd Sep 16, 2:27 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 3,938 Thanks
    fraserbooks
    Mine seem to be for loan companies, car insurance and the like. They are genuine companies but for things I am not interested in. I expect newsletters after I enter a competition and don't mind those.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

98Posts Today

2,134Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • If you know you're bust you must declare it asap. So no firm ever says "yes we plan to go insolvent". So you never? https://t.co/w8aIKOqHzq

• Some people misreading... it's NOT the rumours of insolvency of the Monarchy! Its Monarch airlines (again tho I've no idea of its validity)

• Also re #monarchinsolvency rumours it's important to state Monarch are firmly denying it... https://t.co/N27MENRjY9

• Follow Martin