Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Scrimpstar
    • By Scrimpstar 20th Sep 16, 4:48 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 17Thanks
    Scrimpstar
    Job interview dilemma
    • 20th Sep 16, 4:48 PM
    Job interview dilemma 20th Sep 16 at 4:48 PM
    Hi,

I have a problem, and would appreciate hearing the range of views others would have regarding the solution.

I have been employed by a small local concern, at a low wage, in a labour intensive job. My colleagues are all decent people but I am exhausted and want to find a job that isn't so physical.

Such a job has arisen at a larger company, with much better pay and perks.

I applied without telling my current employers and have been offered an interview. The interview is in two days time, during the middle of the day, some miles from where I work. We are a skeleton staff and it would cause severe problems if I did not turn up for work at such short notice, ie pull a sickie. There is nobody who can cover for me on the day in question, and my manager will be horrified to learn that I plan to leave, so she will not cooperate with any attempts to get cover for me to attend. However, opportunities like this don't happen very often.

I have contacted the interview people but their response has been, either take this interview or thank you and goodbye.

Anybody got any ideas, before I email to say I can't attend the interview? I am really worried that I will struggle to get away from my current job and that this situation will occur again...
Page 1
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 20th Sep 16, 4:56 PM
    • 11,214 Posts
    • 10,553 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 20th Sep 16, 4:56 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 4:56 PM
    Given that you're dead set on leaving, you may as well just go to the interview

But don't expect a good reference, which may then jeopardise the new role
    • Ivrytwr3
    • By Ivrytwr3 20th Sep 16, 5:36 PM
    • 5,346 Posts
    • 9,530 Thanks
    Ivrytwr3
    • 20th Sep 16, 5:36 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 5:36 PM
    I wouldn't tell them about the interview, nor would i not just turn up to work. Can you not put in a holiday or if not create some drama ie family emergency that you must attend (this will give them opportunity to find relief for you).

But i would certainly find some way to attend the interview.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 20th Sep 16, 6:16 PM
    • 1,823 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 20th Sep 16, 6:16 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 6:16 PM
    OK, so the two previous posters are suggesting the OP lies to his current employer!

I understand the difficulty but that, ignoring the moral aspects, is still a significant risk. Assuming he is offered the job a reference request will rather give the game away.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 20th Sep 16, 6:45 PM
    • 2,365 Posts
    • 1,216 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 20th Sep 16, 6:45 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 6:45 PM

I have contacted the interview people but their response has been, either take this interview or thank you and goodbye.

I'm really sorry this doesn't sound the best odds I'm afraid, moreso if the interview was offered at short notice too. Their whole recruitment could be strict/fixed especially if they need someone ASAP so there is no guarantee you won't be wasting your time. Do you know how long the interview is likely to last?

If you do decide to go in being another naughty poster - is your lunch timing at all flexible? Which you could take the hit of being late back from if against pulling a sickie. (Can recall once when I got to the lunch hour interview as fate would have it the main interviewer had gone off to a 'family emergency' and the standee only conducted 15 minutes.. And I also managed to let them know I was actually inbetween my working day.. I managed to pull it off and it worked out I wasn't even late back from lunch as anticipated. A week later I heard I was unsuccessful for the next round of 2nd interview so the trouble it had the potential to cause if I had been working for a less flexible employer would likely not have been worth it.

I really believe there is every truth in as one door closes, another will open. Who knows the next job advert for applying to may be much better then this inflexibility experienced. (which there likely is some reason for)
    "Nowadays if you do what you've always done, you'll get less"
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 20th Sep 16, 6:49 PM
    • 14,842 Posts
    • 26,723 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    • 20th Sep 16, 6:49 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 6:49 PM
    OK, so the two previous posters are suggesting the OP lies to his current employer!

I understand the difficulty but that, ignoring the moral aspects, is still a significant risk. Assuming he is offered the job a reference request will rather give the game away.
    Originally posted by Undervalued
    It was also suggested that the OP put in for holiday.

If employers are acting unreasonably (as in this case) it's unfortunate but the only way to fight them is by underhand ways.
    • Scrimpstar
    • By Scrimpstar 22nd Sep 16, 6:31 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Scrimpstar
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:31 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:31 AM
    Dear All,

Many thanks for your comments, the interview was today, I emailed yesterday morning and told them I could not get cover for the lunch period and I offered to come in for 4.30pm or later if it fitted in with them, but that I would otherwise have to let down my current employers. Have to think that maybe I would be better off not working for a company who show a 'take it or leave it' attitude and move on to the next interview.
    Thank you all for taking the time to post.
    • dcouponzzzz
    • By dcouponzzzz 22nd Sep 16, 5:18 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    dcouponzzzz
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:18 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 5:18 PM
    Dear All,

Many thanks for your comments, the interview was today, I emailed yesterday morning and told them I could not get cover for the lunch period and I offered to come in for 4.30pm or later if it fitted in with them, but that I would otherwise have to let down my current employers. Have to think that maybe I would be better off not working for a company who show a 'take it or leave it' attitude and move on to the next interview.
    Thank you all for taking the time to post.
    Originally posted by Scrimpstar
    You took the words out of my mouth. You're interviewing them as much as them interviewing you, and that attitude is not what you'd want to be working for.
    Started 07/15. Current debt: 9.4k - 5600 (Car finance), Mortgage: 52.5k - Savings: £0
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

1,199Users online

Martin's Twitter