Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andrewm1981
    • By andrewm1981 20th Sep 16, 4:06 PM
    • 91Posts
    • 19Thanks
    andrewm1981
    Shaming a fly-tipping company?
    • 20th Sep 16, 4:06 PM
    Shaming a fly-tipping company? 20th Sep 16 at 4:06 PM
    A bit of a moral dilemma.....

I live in London, and I park my car around the back of some flats which are next to my house, The area is a private car park, but the owner lets anyone park there. It's a little secluded, and there's normally about 25 cars parked there. The car park is an absolute haven for flytipping. At least once a week there's a new pile of wood or builders rubble, which eventually gets cleared by the council. It's really annoying and embarassing. I have friends and family over, I park my car, in the only appropriate place, and have to walk past settees, or piles of rubble.

I saw one van flytipping and filmed them in action. I didn't approach them as it was dark, and they'd seen me arrive in my car which I take great pride in and wouldn't want damaged at a later date.

I informed the council and sent of the video data, but it really feels like there's any lack of interest from them and I can't see the company getting punished. The van had all the company details on the side, and the rubbish they'd left (a full van load) suits their company. Given that theres not much I can do, would posting a couple of negative reviews on review sites (Ive found their check-a-trade page) stating that they are am untrustworthy company, given that they have no respect for local residents or the environment, as they're flytipping locally (within 1 mile of their business address!)

It seems sensible to me, any other ideas about what I can do, or if what I've suggested?

Thanks in advance

Andrew
Page 1
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 20th Sep 16, 5:14 PM
    • 2,268 Posts
    • 2,272 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 20th Sep 16, 5:14 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 5:14 PM
    If everything is as you describe then it sounds like a 'slam-dunk' for the council.

Why are you so sure the council is not acting on the information you have provided?
    • andrewm1981
    • By andrewm1981 20th Sep 16, 5:43 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    andrewm1981
    • 20th Sep 16, 5:43 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 5:43 PM
    Yup, filmed them doing it, including reg plate, carrying the waste, and photos of the waste after. I don't think they're acting on it, as i've asked them twice for an update, with not even a reply, plus the waste is still there and hasn't ben removed. Just doesn't seem like the actions of a council that are "on it".

Irrespective of that, any thoughts on the shaming aspect?
    • GreatBeyond
    • By GreatBeyond 20th Sep 16, 6:47 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    GreatBeyond
    • 20th Sep 16, 6:47 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 6:47 PM
    Yup, filmed them doing it, including reg plate, carrying the waste, and photos of the waste after. I don't think they're acting on it, as i've asked them twice for an update, with not even a reply, plus the waste is still there and hasn't ben removed. Just doesn't seem like the actions of a council that are "on it".

Irrespective of that, any thoughts on the shaming aspect?
    Originally posted by andrewm1981
    It might be that they are not able to disclose the results and actions stemming from their investigation.

I wouldn't be too concerned with their lack of response although it is frustrating!
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 20th Sep 16, 7:45 PM
    • 23,650 Posts
    • 28,945 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 20th Sep 16, 7:45 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 7:45 PM
    Our council has a facebook page, maybe an anonymous download of the film on there, embarrass them into action. (not my council that is)
    Millies due back at Christmas.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 20th Sep 16, 8:58 PM
    • 19,353 Posts
    • 221,167 Thanks
    Valli
    • 20th Sep 16, 8:58 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 8:58 PM
    If it's a privately-owned piece of land why are the council involved at all?
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!

Roadkill Rebel #16 2015 Roadkill Haul - £23.25 + 7c (Eu) + a dime (31.12.2015)
    2016 Roadkill Haul - £05.75, 10c ($) and 10c (Eu)
    • andrewm1981
    • By andrewm1981 20th Sep 16, 9:04 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    andrewm1981
    • 20th Sep 16, 9:04 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 9:04 PM
    I wouldn't want to make it hugely obvious that it was me, and from the footage i have it would be obvious it was, so I'd be nervous about posting it online. I'm not good enough to edit myself out.

The council are involved, as they have a responsibility to ensure the streets are clear. It's not "private" as in someones back garden, but more the sort of land that's on the back of a block of flats thats accessed by many people.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 20th Sep 16, 9:09 PM
    • 14,978 Posts
    • 10,737 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 20th Sep 16, 9:09 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 9:09 PM
    Still doesn't sound like it's land that the council have any responsibility for.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 20th Sep 16, 9:29 PM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 20th Sep 16, 9:29 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 9:29 PM
    It is down to the land owner to clear it, by the council should prosecute where they have evidence.

I would send the video to the local press, I am sure this company would love the publicity.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 21st Sep 16, 12:02 AM
    • 8,458 Posts
    • 9,496 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    What may happen will depend on the council concerned.
    The two quotes below are just to show the differences between councils.

Southwark council only say that they will prosecute landowners who don't clear up dumped rubbish:
    If the rubbish has been dumped on public or council owned land we'll make sure the rubbish is removed and the crime is investigated by our enforcement officers. We're not able to remove rubbish from private land, but may be able to provide help dealing with landlords who do not clear up rubbish on their land.
    but Hillingdon state that they may take action against the flytippers even if on private land:
    Private property owners are responsible for their own land and its clearance of any fly tipping and keeping their land in a clean, tidy and sanitary condition. The council will not normally remove items from private land unless in default of a legal notice and at the expense of the property owner. Wherever possible, evidence will be gathered to show who deposited the waste and formal actions through the courts will be taken.
    • andrewm1981
    • By andrewm1981 21st Sep 16, 2:20 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    andrewm1981
    Thanks for the replies. Merton Council, where I live, have cleared up flytipping many times after I've reported it. They're generally pretty good at that, but not much is happening with this one. The local press seems like an interesting idea though! Hmmmmm
    • RHemmings
    • By RHemmings 21st Sep 16, 3:28 PM
    • 1,891 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    RHemmings
    Whatever you do I hope that the flytippers end up with the entire load inserted where the sun doesn't shine. Flytippers really get my goat.
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 21st Sep 16, 4:41 PM
    • 14,755 Posts
    • 13,386 Thanks
    bod1467
    The problem comes because many community recycling centres won't accept trade visitors / will charge trade visitors, but traders don't won't to go out of their way / pay extra on top of their business rates.

Not saying such traders are justified, just giving a possible reason why they do it.
    Got a Parking Charge Notice (parking ticket - IT'S NOT A FINE!)? Go here for further info ...
    Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking >
    ... and click on the NEWBIES sticky thread (4816822)
    Please do not PM me for help - I will not offer help via PM.
    • fleshandbone
    • By fleshandbone 22nd Sep 16, 9:37 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    fleshandbone
    Please can you share the company name here.
    People that correct your spelling/grammar on forums and message boards are very uninteresting...bore off!
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 22nd Sep 16, 10:02 AM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    I am afraid fly tipping is going to get worse if councils follow the lead of West Sussex who are apparently going to charge householders for non-household waste such as soil, hard-core, DIY, plasterboard of £4 a bag/sheet (a standard rubble sack of 45l /20-25 kg) and introduce charges of £4 for car and van tyres
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 22nd Sep 16, 9:27 PM
    • 23,650 Posts
    • 28,945 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    Bonkers.
    Millies due back at Christmas.
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 22nd Sep 16, 9:57 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    Living a few minutes from vast areas of green and hills, our council is s*** hot with prosecuting fly tippers. They prosecute ALL the time and publish in local newsletters. Still happens though...people are lazy and greedy.

Be careful if you're considering posting it on social media. If you can be identified from the position it was filmed from them take care. If not, then upload it to your council page using "made up" Facebook account.

You are completely right...they should be prosecuted but don't put yourself at risk.
    Mummy to 2 little boys
    House on the market for 19 months ....SOLD!
    Natalie
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 22nd Sep 16, 11:57 PM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    The problem comes because many community recycling centres won't accept trade visitors / will charge trade visitors, but traders don't won't to go out of their way / pay extra on top of their business rates.

Not saying such traders are justified, just giving a possible reason why they do it.
    Originally posted by bod1467
    But how many of those "traders" charge their customers for the legal disposal of their waste.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 24th Sep 16, 10:47 AM
    • 3,266 Posts
    • 3,448 Thanks
    robatwork
    Create a youtube account called MertonFlyTippers. Post the video there.
    Post the link here. Trust me, word will get out and they will be named & shamed....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,575Posts Today

6,836Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: If a cheap clothing store admitted under 12s in foreign factories made their clothes would it stop you buying?

• RT @toes_pointy: @MoneySavingExp @MartinSLewis Feeling smug. Used MSE sky code to change bband provider, saved £150 & got £50 free credit.?

• MSE weekly email: Ending - Brit Gas £300/yr off & free £30M&S, Vax 75%off, £15off Tesco Wine, £64/yr bband, £8 duvet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Follow Martin