Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • strangeotron
    • By strangeotron 20th Sep 16, 3:12 PM
    • 476Posts
    • 385Thanks
    strangeotron
    Talk Talk - Internet Problems
    • 20th Sep 16, 3:12 PM
    Talk Talk - Internet Problems 20th Sep 16 at 3:12 PM
    Their service is dreadful.

Every day for no discernible reason on at least 1 occasion the connection will crap out and I have to switch the router off for about ten minutes before I can get it to work again.

When it does happen it happens every day between 6-7pm, possibly other times as well.

Why?
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 20th Sep 16, 3:17 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 20th Sep 16, 3:17 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 3:17 PM
    What router do you have? I had the same issues & got an engineer out who said my router was notorious for having issues & he gave me a newer model one & I've since had no issues../.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 20th Sep 16, 3:24 PM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 20th Sep 16, 3:24 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 3:24 PM
    Oakdene- what model did you have ? And have now . ?

Mine is a
    DSL 2680 and I have the same issues.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 20th Sep 16, 3:27 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 20th Sep 16, 3:27 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 3:27 PM
    Oakdene- what model did you have ? And have now . ?

Mine is a
    DSL 2680 and I have the same issues.
    Originally posted by Robin9
    This is what I had
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja &uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjRyfmvk57PAhXG7xQKHTF5BzwQjRwIB w&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcadvisor.co.uk%2Freview%2F modem-routers%2Ftalktalk-super-router-review-3625746%2F&psig=AFQjCNFbzdWg7KJ4xStdctUujETpVY-Uwg&ust=1474467932978169

This is what Ive got now
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja &uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjss9eik57PAhWBSBQKHdP3BZUQjRwIB w&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alphr.com%2Ftalktalk%2Ftalk talk-super-router%2F32560%2Ftalktalk-super-router-review&psig=AFQjCNFbzdWg7KJ4xStdctUujETpVY-Uwg&ust=1474467932978169

Sorry am in work so cant save the pics & post.

My internet has been 100% better since the switch. The engineer said they should have never sent out the old routers...
  • TalkTalk Company Representative
    • 20th Sep 16, 3:36 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 3:36 PM
    Hi Strangeotron,

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your services. If you could drop us a tweet (@TalkTalkCare) my team will be able to take a look what's happening with the line for you.

Thanks
    Emma
    ďOfficial Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • strangeotron
    • By strangeotron 20th Sep 16, 3:41 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    strangeotron
    • 20th Sep 16, 3:41 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 3:41 PM
    Hi Strangeotron,

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your services. If you could drop us a tweet (@TalkTalkCare) my team will be able to take a look what's happening with the line for you.

Thanks
    Emma
    Originally posted by TalkTalk Company Representative
    i've communicated with your crap service before and got absolutely nowhere. I want to know why this is happening. Frankly you lot should be out of business because you're crooks.
    • strangeotron
    • By strangeotron 20th Sep 16, 3:51 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    strangeotron
    • 20th Sep 16, 3:51 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 3:51 PM
    What router do you have? I had the same issues & got an engineer out who said my router was notorious for having issues & he gave me a newer model one & I've since had no issues../.
    Originally posted by Oakdene
    I have a DSL 504.

I don't see how it can be the router when the problem happens at the same time every day.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 20th Sep 16, 3:58 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 20th Sep 16, 3:58 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 3:58 PM
    I have a DSL 504.

I don't see how it can be the router when the problem happens at the same time every day.
    Originally posted by strangeotron
    Time may indicate high level of traffic, especially as you're talking about peak time....

I could hardly get online & had to add extra data to my mobile phone bundle just to be able to get online. If you've got the router which is in the first link ask them to get an engineer out & they should change it for you...
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 20th Sep 16, 4:00 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 20th Sep 16, 4:00 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 4:00 PM
    i've communicated with your crap service before and got absolutely nowhere. I want to know why this is happening. Frankly you lot should be out of business because you're crooks.
    Well thats one way to get them on side to rectify the fault!
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • strangeotron
    • By strangeotron 20th Sep 16, 6:30 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    strangeotron
    Well thats one way to get them on side to rectify the fault!
    Originally posted by Ganga
    Surely you're not naive to think that person, probably automated, is in any position, let alone willing, to address this?
    • strangeotron
    • By strangeotron 20th Sep 16, 6:39 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    strangeotron
    Time may indicate high level of traffic, especially as you're talking about peak time....

I could hardly get online & had to add extra data to my mobile phone bundle just to be able to get online. If you've got the router which is in the first link ask them to get an engineer out & they should change it for you...
    engineers don't give out free routers mate, believe me.
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 20th Sep 16, 10:24 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    anactuary
    I had a similar problem with TalkTalk internet dropping every evening around 10pm. I just waited for the next price increase and left without penalty (although they did apply a penalty and I had to complain twice to get it removed).
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 21st Sep 16, 9:48 AM
    • 354 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    Oakdene
    engineers don't give out free routers mate, believe me.
    Well considering the engineer I had came round to test the line & said 'the problem is the old router is useless' & proceeded to give me a new one, I'd say they do. Also he mentioned that 5 out of the 7 appointments he had been on that day he ended up changing the routers...
  • TalkTalk Company Representative
    Hi Strangetron,

You are dealing with a person, not an automated service. We can't take account details over a 3rd party site. We would like to help you - please contact my team on twitter as I've asked so we can do just that.

Thanks
    Emma
    ďOfficial Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • Hargreaves1910
    • By Hargreaves1910 22nd Sep 16, 9:46 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hargreaves1910
    Well I am also with TalkTalk in the middle of an eighteen month contract. No offense to you Emma as I'm sure you are trying to do your best for everyone but I have found the broadband pretty dire. The phone service seems fine with no issues. I have the Huawei HG633 modem/router which I am convinced is the problem. TT have updated firmware for this modem which they have been promising to roll out for some time now but still there are delays. In the past I've been able to download firmware updates and install them myself. Why not with TT? I have constant dropouts and wifi problems, the TT community is full of complaints about this modem, including mine.

I was with Virgin for years without any major problems but the price started to creep up so I looked around and saw MSE recommending TalkTalk. I rang Virgin to cancel and they begged me to stay even beating the price that TT were offering. I decided to go with TT. My son said I'd be sorry, the girl at Virgin said I'd be sorry, guess what they were right. The broadband service is truly shocking and just as I joined TT got hacked, I still haven't managed to set an email account up and now I'm not bothered anyway. On the occasions I've complained I get the standard "We checked your line and it appears to be fine". That's because the line is fine but the modem is no good!

In nine months I will be off, the problem is who to? Maybe back to Virgin if I can get a good deal. I once considered Plusnet but I see their reputation is now plummeting as they've just done a big cost cutting exercise. Someone like A&A or Zen would be nice but now I'm retired they might be out of my price range. My son likes Sky but I'm not sure if there are strings attached with their tv service.

I just want broadband that works. Is that too much to ask?
    • strangeotron
    • By strangeotron 23rd Sep 16, 2:46 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    strangeotron
    Well considering the engineer I had came round to test the line & said 'the problem is the old router is useless' & proceeded to give me a new one, I'd say they do. Also he mentioned that 5 out of the 7 appointments he had been on that day he ended up changing the routers...
    The only router TT gave was the crappy freebie that came with the contract. It has one ethernet port and wifi, presumably not both simultaneously, rendering the entire thing pointless. Echolife HUAWEI HG521 thing. Cheap rubbish to be sure which is why i've never used it and have no desire to. Engineers aren't going to give out free routers. It's likely that, assuming you're being honest, he probably had a spare he wanted to get rid of. In the main they don't do this. ever.
    Last edited by strangeotron; 23-09-2016 at 2:54 PM.
    • strangeotron
    • By strangeotron 23rd Sep 16, 2:47 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    strangeotron
    Hi Strangetron,

You are dealing with a person, not an automated service. We can't take account details over a 3rd party site. We would like to help you - please contact my team on twitter as I've asked so we can do just that.

Thanks
    Emma
    Originally posted by TalkTalk Company Representative
    And as I said, i've contacted you lot on FB and you lot didn't even bother responding (along with almost everyone else doign the same thing).

I doubt twitter will offer a different service. Simple way to find out though: will your engineer (it won't be a TT engineer, it will be a BT one since they own the line) give out a free, suitable, router? One that can handle multiple inputs, both wired and wireless, simultaneously?
    Last edited by strangeotron; 23-09-2016 at 2:55 PM.
    • strangeotron
    • By strangeotron 23rd Sep 16, 2:53 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    strangeotron

I was with Virgin for years without any major problems but the price started to creep up so I looked around and saw MSE recommending TalkTalk.
    Originally posted by Hargreaves1910
    Well well well!

The broadband service is truly shocking and just as I joined TT got hacked,
    Oh yes. I didn't mention all the spam phone calls we get; as well as the usual crap that everyone gets these include a considerable number of calls from people claiming to be TT.

Wonderful company.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 23rd Sep 16, 4:31 PM
    • 2,809 Posts
    • 1,369 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    "please contact my team on twitter as I've asked so we can do just that."
    Fortunately not everyone is on Twitface. So what's the alternative
    The Conservative Party is a bit like double cream. Rich, thick and full of clots!
    • welshbookworm
    • By welshbookworm 25th Sep 16, 7:57 PM
    • 2,291 Posts
    • 6,024 Thanks
    welshbookworm
    So to contact Talk Talk about a problem I have to create a Twitter account?
    Will have to ring my daughter to explain that one to me.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,660Posts Today

8,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: If a cheap clothing store admitted under 12s in foreign factories made their clothes would it stop you buying?

• RT @toes_pointy: @MoneySavingExp @MartinSLewis Feeling smug. Used MSE sky code to change bband provider, saved £150 & got £50 free credit.?

• MSE weekly email: Ending - Brit Gas £300/yr off & free £30M&S, Vax 75%off, £15off Tesco Wine, £64/yr bband, £8 duvet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Follow Martin