Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WLM21
    • By WLM21 20th Sep 16, 1:29 PM
    • 1,025Posts
    • 343Thanks
    WLM21
    0 WOW
    Buying a PAYG SIM for use in South Africa.
    • 20th Sep 16, 1:29 PM
    0 WOW
    Buying a PAYG SIM for use in South Africa. 20th Sep 16 at 1:29 PM
    My wife, will be travelling to South Africa in a few weeks time.

She has just got a new phone, her previous iPhone 5 contract (EE) has just come to an end.

She intends taking the old phone for her trip, then just leave it there with her sister. Can she buy a prepaid SIM card here in the UK for use while over in South Africa or would it be better (cheaper) to buy a SIM when she arrives.

She'll mainly be using the phone to phone her South African friends, so doesn't really need any data.

thanks
Page 1
    • sandsy
    • By sandsy 20th Sep 16, 3:43 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    sandsy
    • 20th Sep 16, 3:43 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 3:43 PM
    I bought a Vodacom sim on eBay before our trip last October. I was provided with online account details so could load it up for calls, texts and at a before arriving.

It is cheaper to buy one there though. Vodacom and MTN are the two main carriers.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 20th Sep 16, 4:32 PM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 20th Sep 16, 4:32 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 4:32 PM
    The local SIM will be cheaper and more useful to be in touch with her friends without them having to make an international call.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 21st Sep 16, 11:19 AM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Roger1
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:19 AM
    • 21st Sep 16, 11:19 AM
    If she can wait until she gets to SA, she should buy a local SIM there.

She should avoid the airport shops. Expensive. She or her sister should buy a SIM at a Pick'n'Pay supermarket or similar store. Vodacom (and other) SIMs normally cost 1 rand.

Then, with phone and SIM, she should go to a Vodacom (or other airtime retailer) and top up with credit. Her sister may be able to advise which company to use for best coverage.
    • pmramsay
    • By pmramsay 21st Sep 16, 12:29 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    pmramsay
    • 21st Sep 16, 12:29 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 12:29 PM
    Possibly correct about the airport shops being a little more expensive but I sorted my sim card out at the airport for convenience and it didnt cost much more. If you do buy from a normal store make sure you take your passport with you or they wont sell you one.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 22nd Sep 16, 10:46 AM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Roger1
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:46 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:46 AM
    Possibly correct about the airport shops being a little more expensive but I sorted my sim card out at the airport for convenience and it didnt cost much more.
    Originally posted by pmramsay
    More than 1 rand? IME airport retailers are much more expensive.
    If you do buy from a normal store make sure you take your passport with you or they wont sell you one.
    The same applies wherever you buy. It's because of the RICA regulations. http://www.afrihost.com/site/page/rica_information

OP's sister-in-law may be able to help by using her address.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,299Posts Today

5,927Users online

Martin's Twitter