Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search

Results: Christmas Shopping: Have you finished yet?

Yes, of course, I'm a MoneySaver stocked up since January!

32.26% • 10 votes

No, what on earth, it's only September!

67.74% • 21 votes

You may not vote on this poll

31 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 20th Sep 16, 1:23 PM
    • 7,841Posts
    • 19,653Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Have you finished your Christmas shopping?
    • 20th Sep 16, 1:23 PM
    Have you finished your Christmas shopping? 20th Sep 16 at 1:23 PM

Less than 100 days to Christmas!

Is that good or bad?

Have you finished your Christmas shopping already?

If not, check out our 48 Christmas MoneySaving tips

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 20th Sep 16, 1:28 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 20th Sep 16, 1:28 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 1:28 PM
    Not even started!!

I love December weekends when I can enjoy the buzz of Christmas shopping & the markets, then taking the presents home, lighting the fire & wrapping them with a glass of mulled wine!!
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 20th Sep 16, 1:33 PM
    • 14,767 Posts
    • 26,607 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    • 20th Sep 16, 1:33 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 1:33 PM
    Definitely should say "Have you started it yet?".
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 21st Sep 16, 9:22 PM
    • 9,475 Posts
    • 16,910 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:22 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:22 PM
    I'm all done yes- got my last couple of gifts today. I've been quite thrifty this year- I heavily utilised the summer sales and EBay to get the best deals- and I've found bargains in some unlikely places- I bought a load of sugar free sweets for my dad (he's diabetic) in the WH Smith in George Eliot hospital when I went to have my hearing aids fitted
    Last edited by Mrs_Ryan; 21-09-2016 at 9:25 PM.
    What am I letting myself into Proud sponsor of a prop for the 16/17 season- welcome Mr W
    Thrilled and proud to have met my hero 13 and 15/05- thanks Fran!
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    Always Team V xx
    • elsien
    • By elsien 21st Sep 16, 9:23 PM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 31,672 Thanks
    elsien
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:23 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:23 PM
    You forgot the "are you completely and utterly mad" option.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 21st Sep 16, 10:22 PM
    • 20,476 Posts
    • 35,005 Thanks
    SailorSam
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:22 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:22 PM
    I'm well stocked up with booze, what else is needed ?
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 22nd Sep 16, 1:28 PM
    • 1,455 Posts
    • 5,462 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:28 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 1:28 PM
    There should be another option.....No, not started, and don't intend to. Don't do Christmas here.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 22nd Sep 16, 2:40 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 1,088 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:40 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:40 PM
    Started last night.

I have great admiration for people who shop the sales/discounts throughout the year. I do wonder what happens if people (usually children) change their minds about likes/dislikes closer to Xmas however!
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • pelirocco
    • By pelirocco 22nd Sep 16, 3:32 PM
    • 7,441 Posts
    • 8,207 Thanks
    pelirocco
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:32 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 3:32 PM
    Alternative poll
    Do you

a) buy gifts early , because its in a sale and cheap ..........and after all its the thought that counts
    b) save your money all year and buy something the other person really wants
    c) Dont bother , because if its something I really want , I would have bought it already ( with money not spent on buying for the sake of it )
    d) all sit in a circle and pass the same £20 note around

I love Christmas , but will only buy for children and then limit the number of presents , after all who wants a house full of Crap ....( I will top up with money /voucher for them to spend through out the year ) We dont buy for adults , we spend the money on nights out and or going away with each other . We will have a big party on the Sunday before Christmas for friends and family ( unless that is Christmas eve ) and then Christmas day I do lunch for who ever whats to come/ i can fit in ( quite a lot )
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
    • mai_taylor
    • By mai_taylor 22nd Sep 16, 3:33 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    mai_taylor
    I've got some ideas and have started saving but haven't bought a present yet. I wouldn't buy this early as most decide what they want a month before. I should be able to get most of it done online in a couple of hours though.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 22nd Sep 16, 4:14 PM
    • 5,514 Posts
    • 13,636 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I've got the default presents (mugs filled with sweets) sorted, it's now the tigging awkward squad (husband & sons) I need to pin to the mat & extract a wishlist with web addresses from.

I found temporary Amazon Prime membership was a real blessing even if their prices are not always the best - the lads look & coo and choose & once they've said "That one", the article is in their heap within 24 hours. Not very MSE but brilliant for expectation management.

I'm *hoping* to get them switched on to the idea of delayed gratification - but the Alibaba sourced headphone will need to arrive in the next fortnight!
    • Salome
    • By Salome 22nd Sep 16, 10:10 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    Salome
    I started my shopping in December, just after last Christmas; I've already started buying for Christmas 2017! I've been doing it as & when all year thro' & just have to buy for hubby and I'm finished. Survey sites, sales and suchlike helped me get sorted, plus I've got all my booze and nibbles thanks to deals and saver codes.
    Frodo: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
    Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 22nd Sep 16, 10:31 PM
    • 2,641 Posts
    • 4,133 Thanks
    DomRavioli
    Waiting on wishlists - as the xmas gift guides and sites mostly don't start until october, there's little I can do.

That coupled with recent operations and disability always makes it fun.
    Observe, Adapt, Overcome.
    SPC 2015 #497
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 22nd Sep 16, 10:56 PM
    • 3,387 Posts
    • 2,842 Thanks
    Sharon87
    Nothing bought yet! But I know one present I'm going to get - my dad wants a new phone, so we'll pool in to get him one.

I have an idea what to get my new neice (when she's born) - a massive teddy is more than likely!

Apart from that no idea. No idea what I want either!
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 23rd Sep 16, 12:04 AM
    • 15,964 Posts
    • 59,439 Thanks
    mum2one
    I did most of my shopping in Jan sales, topping up a few bits here and there.

All I have left to do is my main presents- dd and mum, thou dd is having money 2wards a new phone - but there he £100 for extras to open x
    16 crafts 2015 =10/16
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 24/50
    Angel Baby Item, 25 hats,5 blankets, 20 prs booties, 4 sets of bonding squares, angel dress.
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 25th Sep 16, 6:22 AM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 15,343 Thanks
    nic2075
    I have pretty much everything now. Well all the smaller things for everyone and stockings etc. I always leave the main present from Santa til last as it often changes. But the money is put past for it. I like to shop all year, picking up stuff I know people will like at good prices.
    My dad gives me money to shop for the kids in the family. So I still get to go out in December and enjoy the christmas buzz.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

425Posts Today

4,325Users online

Martin's Twitter