Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 20th Sep 16, 12:54 PM
    • 471Posts
    • 3,164Thanks
    CuppaTea
    Dairy free alternative to cow's milk
    • 20th Sep 16, 12:54 PM
    Dairy free alternative to cow's milk 20th Sep 16 at 12:54 PM
    Please can you tell me what you think is the most palatable for a child to try. I want to keep them on board so starting off with a "horrible tasting" one and ruining their breakfast won't be my best move!!!

Nice taste and moneysaving too would be fab. Thank you.

My local supermarkets are Tesc* and Waitr*se. Can sometimes get to a M*rris*ns.

Much appreciated.
    I'm dealing with stuff.
Page 2
    • indsty
    • By indsty 21st Sep 16, 5:36 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 767 Thanks
    indsty
    There are so many choices nowadays. It really does depend on the age of your child, and the reasons you are looking for dairy-free. Please check with your GP, health visitor or an NHS trained dietitian if this is a long-term change. Milk is such an important part of the diet for a child.
    • Loz01
    • By Loz01 21st Sep 16, 8:59 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    Loz01
    OP I am allergic to cows milk. Best one I have found is called Koko Dairy Free coconut milk, its in a blue/white carton, available in Tesco and its about £1.20 (ish, sometimes on offer for £1)

Its the same colour as normal milk, just a bit thinner and not a funny shade like some soya milk. I use it on cereal (weetabix and frosties etc) and it tastes just the same to me.

Gotta say I don't drink it on its own tho in a glass as Im not keen on milk of any description. Think this is mainly because cows milk makes me feel nauseous so Ive developed a milk aversion!!
    Some people think football is a matter of life and death... I assure you, its much more important than that - Bill Shankley.
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 21st Sep 16, 9:32 PM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 8,293 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    Have to admit I have liked basically all the plant based milks I have tried. Recently had the cashew as was £1 a carton and liked that, found it rather creamy - not suprising given you can make 'cheese' out of cashews.
    It can be hit and miss though. My OH likes soya but not the unsweetened version, was okay with rice milk (prefers it for rice pudding than anything else) but he hated cashew milk and isn't a fan of unsweetened almond milk. He didn't get to try the hemp milk when I had it as it went to fast, lol.

A lot of the bought plant based milks have calcium, D12, B2 etc added. I wouldn't really worry about protein. Milk isn't the only source and chances are a child is going to get more than enough without it; most people consume more than enough and that is including veggies and vegans.
    27 year old vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • Lunar Eclipse
    • By Lunar Eclipse 22nd Sep 16, 5:29 PM
    • 2,891 Posts
    • 5,437 Thanks
    Lunar Eclipse
    We use Lactofree. It tastes like milk and is available in semi-skimmed and full fat versions in our local supermarket.

Everything else we've tried, like soya, almond and rice milks have a very different taste, unpalatable to everyone in this house! Yoko coconut milk is good for things like chocolate milk, and we happily drank goats milk years ago that tasted different but pleasant enough.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 22nd Sep 16, 5:46 PM
    • 21,061 Posts
    • 81,092 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    In addition, the versions sold in the chilled area next to normal milk tend to taste 'lighter' or 'fresher' than the long life versions.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • SingleSue
    • By SingleSue 23rd Sep 16, 1:57 AM
    • 9,482 Posts
    • 51,305 Thanks
    SingleSue
    There was little choice when mine were younger and needed an alternative. We were originally pointed (and had on prescription) soya milk until it was discovered they were also intolerant to that, after that, we really only had the choice of goats or rice milk. We went with rice milk in the end as that was the preferred choice but it was very restricted as they tended to react to that too in normal quantities.

Good thing the nut ones weren't available, youngest is severely allergic to nuts...that would have been a nightmare on top of everything else and we probably wouldn't have worked out it was the nut element quickly.

Middle son has now pretty much grown out of his intolerance, youngest improved with his intolerance (lactose and protein) but it has now come back with a vengeance...he's just avoiding dairy as much as he can rather than finding alternatives.
    Keep battling on, I will get there eventually..even if I don't know where there is! Now a degree student and a carer to 3 disabled sons! Eldests' diagnosis (4.5.10) is Ehlers Danlos Hypermobility type and now it looks like I have it too (13.1.11) eekk!
    Tilly Tidy #10 £92.24/£180
    • Loz01
    • By Loz01 23rd Sep 16, 9:11 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    Loz01
    Lactofree is apparently nicer, however it depends on your intolerance - lactose is only one part of cows milk and Lactofree milk still contains other cows milk components so its no good for people like me that are just straight up allergic to cows milk. But if its just lactose, there is more choice out there I think.
    Some people think football is a matter of life and death... I assure you, its much more important than that - Bill Shankley.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,880Posts Today

6,252Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @PapaSlavs: @MartinSLewis hi, how much per month should I typically charge my daughter board & lodgings now she's left uni and become an?

• RT @EssexHebridean: 13 years, 2 months and 6 days after taking it out, we've just paid the final lump sum off our mortgage. #MortgageFree @?

• Many first time buyers panicked about Help to Buy mortgage guarantee ending, here's my video on what it really mean? https://t.co/uGD6sG4hvl

• Follow Martin