Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • karlos the jackal
    • By karlos the jackal 20th Sep 16, 12:20 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 9Thanks
    karlos the jackal
    Sky Multiroom alternative, any reason why this wouldn't work?
    • 20th Sep 16, 12:20 PM
    Sky Multiroom alternative, any reason why this wouldn't work? 20th Sep 16 at 12:20 PM
    I've just moved home, the previous owner must have had Sky Multiroom as there are cables from the dish going to the bedroom and conservatory as well as the lounge.

My SO also wants to get multiroom, but frankly I don't want to pay the extra £12 a month. We have two old Sky boxes, one of the earlier HD boxes and an old non-HD (white) box. Is there any reason why we can't install the old boxes in the bedroom and conservatory and move the viewing card between them? Obviously we wouldn't be able to watch Sky content in more than one room at once but this wouldn't be a problem.
Page 1
    • almillar
    • By almillar 20th Sep 16, 12:56 PM
    • 6,394 Posts
    • 2,515 Thanks
    almillar
    • 20th Sep 16, 12:56 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 12:56 PM
    In the HD boxes at least, the card needs to be paired to the box. You do this by phoning Sky, not sure if there's another way. That would be a lot of phonecalls for your plan! A Freesat box would get you more channels than a Sky box with no card, and will allow recording, which might be better value than £12 per month.
    • karlos the jackal
    • By karlos the jackal 20th Sep 16, 4:21 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    karlos the jackal
    • 20th Sep 16, 4:21 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 4:21 PM
    I didn't know they were paired. Looks like I'm going to have to lay some cat6 around the house and run HDMI over ethernet. I briefly looked into an AV sender but everyone seems to agree that they rarely work well.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 20th Sep 16, 4:30 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 20th Sep 16, 4:30 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 4:30 PM
    the pairing is oll done online these days.

however sky might bock it if you do it a lot.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 20th Sep 16, 5:21 PM
    • 3,886 Posts
    • 1,510 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 20th Sep 16, 5:21 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 5:21 PM
    Rather than pairing every time ,might be easier to just move the box with the card in ?
    • Futuristic
    • By Futuristic 20th Sep 16, 6:14 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    Futuristic
    • 20th Sep 16, 6:14 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 6:14 PM
    What channels exactly? What about the freesat card you can get on eBay for fiver?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Sep 16, 11:47 PM
    • 16,797 Posts
    • 7,448 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 20th Sep 16, 11:47 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 11:47 PM
    Rather than pairing every time ,might be easier to just move the box with the card in ?
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Certainly that won't cause any problems with Sky, however I don't think constantly re-booting the decoder in that manner would aid it's longevity.

I think the cheapest option is to just use the old viewing card in the Sky box as a means of watching the Free-To-Air channels. It won't be multi-room exactly, but the number of free channels available is significant.
    • karlos the jackal
    • By karlos the jackal 21st Sep 16, 1:21 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    karlos the jackal
    • 21st Sep 16, 1:21 AM
    • 21st Sep 16, 1:21 AM
    What channels exactly? What about the freesat card you can get on eBay for fiver?
    Originally posted by Futuristic
    To be clear, SWMBO would like access to all the channels we pay a subscription to (movies etc) in all of the rooms but I'm not prepared to pay £12 per room per month for the privilege.

If I had my way we'd have freeview or freesat everywhere and be done with it but that's not going to happen!
    • VisionMan
    • By VisionMan 21st Sep 16, 1:40 AM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    VisionMan
    • 21st Sep 16, 1:40 AM
    • 21st Sep 16, 1:40 AM
    Then tell SWMBO she can have Sky on one TV, and one TV only, unless she wants to cough up the £12 a month.

I know thats hard but it has to be done.
    • devizes18193
    • By devizes18193 21st Sep 16, 7:21 AM
    • 1,409 Posts
    • 670 Thanks
    devizes18193
    what about now tv as the 2nd box it would be cheaper .
    • almillar
    • By almillar 21st Sep 16, 12:53 PM
    • 6,394 Posts
    • 2,515 Thanks
    almillar
    Moving the Sky box itself isn't much of a problem for the box itself I wouldn't imagine, and it's cheap to replace if it does break, but those satellite cables are really awkward to connect and disconnect.
    How about the multiroom on the cheap system that I use, with a Magic Eye?
    You connect the RF2 output of the Sky box to the Aerial in on the TV you want to watch on, and you tune that TV on its analogue tuner. Adding Magic Eye allows you to control the Sky box from that TV. Obviously you're watching an analogue signal, and no-one else can use the box, but it's dead on for the kitchen or bedroom.
    • The Groat Counter
    • By The Groat Counter 21st Sep 16, 12:54 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    The Groat Counter
    To be clear, SWMBO would like access to all the channels we pay a subscription to (movies etc) in all of the rooms but I'm not prepared to pay £12 per room per month for the privilege.
    Originally posted by karlos the jackal
    Originally posted by devizes18193
    Yep, this. The NOW TV Entertainment pass is £6.99 a month:
    www.nowtv.com/tv-passes

Amazon is currently offering a NOW TV box plus 3 months Entertainment Pass for £14.99, or a 6 months Entertainment Pass for £25.85:
    www.amazon.co.uk/NOW-TV-Month-Entertainment-Pass/dp/B013SGATVC/

It needs a half decent broadband connection.

A NOW TV box is also very portable and easily moved.
    Last edited by The Groat Counter; 21-09-2016 at 12:57 PM.
    • rochdi90.ma
    • By rochdi90.ma 21st Sep 16, 12:58 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rochdi90.ma
    What channels exactly?
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 21st Sep 16, 2:00 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 16,586 Thanks
    mije1983
    Originally posted by devizes18193
    Yep, this.
    Originally posted by The Groat Counter
    OP has movies as well. So Now TV probably isn't a viable option price wise compared to multiroom.

Originally posted by karlos the jackal

• duchy
    • By duchy 21st Sep 16, 2:15 PM
    • 17,538 Posts
    • 44,238 Thanks
    duchy
    Magic eye seems the obvious solution as you seem to want one service between two TVs.

For £3 a week I'd probably go for multi screen though.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

Apparently having a "Quirky and Hipster" wedding
    • The Groat Counter
    • By The Groat Counter 21st Sep 16, 2:17 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    The Groat Counter
    OP has movies as well. So Now TV probably isn't a viable option price wise compared to multiroom.
    Originally posted by mije1983
    Yeah fair enough. For some reason I though it was only Sky One that was important.

So it's either pay-up for multiscreen (the new name for multiroom), or else run either an RF cable (as per almillar's post above) or split the HDMI output and run an HDMI cable (or cables) to the bedroom and/or conservatory TVs, and use the Magic Eye system to control the Sky box.

The OP already seems to have got that far (minus the Magic Eye bit) in post #3 above.
    • Cycrow
    • By Cycrow 22nd Sep 16, 11:45 AM
    • 2,588 Posts
    • 1,466 Thanks
    Cycrow
    Nowtv with movies as well could work out cheaper if you was to replace all the sky boxes with it, so you have no sky subscription at all.

Obvious it doesn't give you every channel sky has, so it depends what channels you actually want, but it has the main sky channels and all the movies, and you can often get the subscription at cheaper prices. I currently pay 3.99 for movies. So you could get both movies + entertainment for less than £10

Plus you can have multiple devices on the same account and use 2 of them at a time
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,546Posts Today

7,071Users online

Martin's Twitter