Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MAFERGAL
    • By MAFERGAL 20th Sep 16, 11:07 AM
    • 51Posts
    • 17Thanks
    MAFERGAL
    Cleaning ceramic mirror glass on a Wood log burner stove
    • 20th Sep 16, 11:07 AM
    Cleaning ceramic mirror glass on a Wood log burner stove 20th Sep 16 at 11:07 AM
    Hi all, just after some advice on the best way to clean this kind of stove glass. I have an Ekol Crystal 12 and use the airwash system, however there are really tough burnt on stains inside and when the stove is lit you can clearly see them. It was installed in February and we used it a handful of times to temper it as per instructions. I've been cleaning it out today to get it ready for use.

The instruction manual says to just use a cloth and warm water but this isn't budging the stains at all. I obviously don't want to use anything that will ruin the coating. I've done a search but nothing seems to come up. Any tips/advice greatly received.
Page 1
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 20th Sep 16, 11:22 AM
    • 4,714 Posts
    • 4,816 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 20th Sep 16, 11:22 AM
    • 20th Sep 16, 11:22 AM
    Use a cleaner for ceramic hobs. I use HobBrite which you can get from Wilkinsons for £1.

But you can also use wet newspapers which is almost as good.
    There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O.S. Nock
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 22nd Sep 16, 12:17 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    owen_money
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:17 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:17 PM
    Wet a sheet of crumpled up newspaper and dip in the wood ash. Use this to clean the glass, works a treat and is free. I also use windolene 4 in 1 to give a final clean.

My stove also has air wash, but i clean the glass after every use as it has a large window and i like to see the fire.
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • MAFERGAL
    • By MAFERGAL 22nd Sep 16, 4:09 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    MAFERGAL
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:09 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 4:09 PM
    Thanks both, I have tried the newspaper both with/without ash and it still isn't budging the marks. I'll buy a ceramic hob cleaner next time I go to town & try that
    • JoP1
    • By JoP1 27th Sep 16, 12:31 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    JoP1
    • 27th Sep 16, 12:31 PM
    • 27th Sep 16, 12:31 PM
    Thanks both, I have tried the newspaper both with/without ash and it still isn't budging the marks. I'll buy a ceramic hob cleaner next time I go to town & try that
    Originally posted by MAFERGAL
    We used to have a 'Franco Belge' central heating cooker and now have a 'Villager' log burning stove - with glass panels.

Spray on and wipe off oven cleaner works a treat.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,299Posts Today

5,927Users online

Martin's Twitter