Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • leewhitney16
    • By leewhitney16 20th Sep 16, 10:52 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    leewhitney16
    Mobile Phone Sale Problem
    • 20th Sep 16, 10:52 AM
    Mobile Phone Sale Problem 20th Sep 16 at 10:52 AM
    Morning all,

I am a long time reader of these forums, however this is the first time I have needed to post.
    I sold a mobile phone to GAME in July 2015, a year later in July 2016 I have a Police Officer at my door stating that the mobile phone has been registered as lost/stolen and the IMEI number has been blacklisted.
    According to the Officer the person who subsequently purchased the mobile from GAME in October 2015, returned to the store and advised that the mobile could no longer be used.
    I was asked to provide the Officer with Proof Of Purchase which I duly did and following his investigation he assured me that this was found to be a network error and that I had done nothing to block or bar the mobile.
    Now my problem is that whilst the Officer was conducting his investigation, GAME passed the alleged 'debt; to a Debt Collection Agency. This seems unfair as the investigation had not yet been completed.
    I have been trying for the past couple of weeks to get GAME to call the agency to close the case, the Officer has even called GAME himself, however I am still receiving daily calls.
    I have spoken to the store in question and to GAME head office, however nothing is getting done.
    What I need is some advice on how I can get this resolved as it is taking more of my time than I feel is warranted.
    Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • leewhitney16
    • By leewhitney16 22nd Sep 16, 11:42 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    leewhitney16
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:42 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 11:42 AM
    An update to this....
    GAME have come back to me and stated that even though the Police have investigated this and have found me to not be at fault, they will continue to persue me for the alleged debt as I was the person who originally traded in the phone. How crazy is this ? Does anyone know if I can take any action to stop this ?
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 22nd Sep 16, 12:28 PM
    • 2,920 Posts
    • 1,459 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:28 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 12:28 PM
    you sue the person/company you bought the phone from

Looks like they sold you a dodgy phone
    • £note
    • By £note 22nd Sep 16, 2:48 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    £note
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:48 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:48 PM
    How has this become a debt? I don't understand how anything relating to this can have passed to a debt collection agency as a debt, has the phone been returned to you and you haven't paid them back?
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 22nd Sep 16, 2:59 PM
    • 1,424 Posts
    • 2,142 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:59 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 2:59 PM
    How has this become a debt? I don't understand how anything relating to this can have passed to a debt collection agency as a debt, has the phone been returned to you and you haven't paid them back?
    Originally posted by £note

Presumably Game have (wrongly as it turns out) refunded buyer and are now chasing OP for the money they paid them for phone.

Easier said than done but I'd be getting something in writing from network and working from their rather than via calls
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 23rd Sep 16, 7:54 PM
    • 9,598 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 23rd Sep 16, 7:54 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 7:54 PM
    Game always provide paperwork when selling phones, to show that they have followed procedures to ensure that the phone has not been reported stolen or lost, among other extensive checks.

The onus is on them to explain why they failed to identify the situation when re-selling your phone to another person.

Go back to the shop where you sold it, and make a fuss in front of the other customers. I've had problems with Game myself, as a purchaser, and I don't think they are as efficient as they would like us to believe they are.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• boliston
    • By boliston 23rd Sep 16, 9:06 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    boliston
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:06 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 9:06 PM
    An update to this....
    GAME have come back to me and stated that even though the Police have investigated this and have found me to not be at fault, they will continue to persue me for the alleged debt as I was the person who originally traded in the phone. How crazy is this ? Does anyone know if I can take any action to stop this ?
    Originally posted by leewhitney16
    The worst game can do is take you to court, but armed with the police evidence you are not at fault I expect the judge would side with the police rather than game.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,424Posts Today

7,938Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: What proportion of your usual monthly spending do you do in cash (ie not plastic, bank transfer, cheque etc)

• RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Follow Martin