Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • carpetseller
    • By carpetseller 20th Sep 16, 8:22 AM
    • 44Posts
    • 72Thanks
    carpetseller
    Overhead & Profit
    • 20th Sep 16, 8:22 AM
    Overhead & Profit 20th Sep 16 at 8:22 AM
    I've just started to get quotes for a 27m sq single story extension & one includes overheads of 9% & a profit of 15% does that seem to be OK.
Page 1
    • krey
    • By krey 20th Sep 16, 11:13 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    krey
    • 20th Sep 16, 11:13 AM
    • 20th Sep 16, 11:13 AM
    that's just some BS, if it were true than yeah it would be OK, actually no , the company doing it would go broke within a month from working with 15% profits in construction
    could it be an extra 15% surcharge on their profits- yup...
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 21st Sep 16, 10:47 PM
    • 4,964 Posts
    • 2,884 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:47 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:47 PM
    that's just some BS, if it were true than yeah it would be OK, actually no , the company doing it would go broke within a month from working with 15% profits in construction
    could it be an extra 15% surcharge on their profits- yup...
    Originally posted by krey

So what would say is an acceptable profit ? Because in another thread you seem to think the OP is getting ripped off & suggest buying the materials herself therefore taking all of the installers profit & moaning that getting an engineer to stop you killing yourself isn't worth the small amount you paid them ?
    Last edited by southcoastrgi; 21-09-2016 at 10:51 PM.
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 22nd Sep 16, 6:36 AM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 1,822 Thanks
    Furts
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:36 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:36 AM
    I think it is very open and up front for the figures to be stated in the manner they are. Admirable, but from a contractors perspective but perhaps foolish because countless consumers do not want to consider, then pay, profit.

I also think the figures excellent and know the 15% could be much higher.

I have a couple of small repair jobs going on where it could be argued the overhead figure is over 100%.
    • carpetseller
    • By carpetseller 22nd Sep 16, 8:14 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    carpetseller
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:14 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:14 AM
    I think it is very open and up front for the figures to be stated in the manner they are. Admirable, but from a contractors perspective but perhaps foolish because countless consumers do not want to consider, then pay, profit.

I also think the figures excellent and know the 15% could be much higher.

I have a couple of small repair jobs going on where it could be argued the overhead figure is over 100%.
    Originally posted by Furts
    Thanks for your reply I thought the quote was fair I just wanted to get other peoples opinion of the profits & overheads. The quote was £21,000 for a 27m sq block on block single floor shell (including profits & overheads) & I'll be contracting the other trades myself.
    • HaydenB
    • By HaydenB 12th Oct 16, 10:21 AM
    • 127 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    HaydenB
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:21 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 10:21 AM
    the company doing it would go broke within a month from working with 15% profits in construction.
    Really??? Not in my experience.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

993Posts Today

5,027Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • PPI deadline decision's just been delayed until first quarter of 2017, it was due this year. For free help now go to https://t.co/EqDQvgRZ2K

• RT @juliegroves49: @GMB @MartinSLewis thanks got my soap & glory glam sets which was half price at boots today thanks or all the tips xmas?

• RT @ckrd: @MartinSLewis Just bagged my Soap and Glory Set £30.00 instead of £60, thanks for the reminder in your email. Another one off the?

• Follow Martin