Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cshimmons
    • By cshimmons 19th Sep 16, 10:08 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    cshimmons
    PDSA and ongoing illness
    • 19th Sep 16, 10:08 PM
    PDSA and ongoing illness 19th Sep 16 at 10:08 PM
    I'm hoping somebody out there can offer me some advice. I have just recently qualified for various benefits which allow me access to PDSA treatment with the local vet. Unfortunately, my dog has had a skin problem for the past month or so and after some very expensive treatment from another vet (antibiotics and anti hystemines) the problem is still there. Does anybody know if I'd be eligible for treatment for this given its technically an ongoing problem and one which appeared a month ago? An unfortunate change of circumstance means that I can no longer afford private treatment and insurance doesn't cover any problems which are ongoing. I have only just applied for PDSA registration so am concerned I'd be turned away.

Thanks
Page 1
    • paddypaws101
    • By paddypaws101 20th Sep 16, 12:50 PM
    • 1,977 Posts
    • 2,387 Thanks
    paddypaws101
    • 20th Sep 16, 12:50 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 12:50 PM
    I see no reason why the PDSA will not treat an ongoing condition. They may even be able t get the existing notes from your previous vet so that they can properly continue the care.
    A new insurance policy would indeed exclude this condition but if you have existing insurance it should be treated as an ongoing claim with no further excess to pay.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 21st Sep 16, 8:19 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 3,101 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:19 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 8:19 PM
    A problem is that, being a charity , the PDSA has limited funds so cannot always supply the best treatment possible. A friend had to buy her dog's drugs herself, until a change of policy meant the PDSA would provide them.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 22nd Sep 16, 7:15 PM
    • 1,793 Posts
    • 1,532 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:15 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:15 PM
    Presumably, with ever more advanced and costly veterinary treatments becoming possible, any charity like the PDSA must have the difficult dilemma of whether to provide more basic care for ten animals (say) or what is medically possible for just one?

If you have the financial resources and choose to use them you can buy the very latest treatment for your pet. Sometimes it will be possible to save what, even a few years ago, would have been a hopeless case.

As I understand it, even fairly comprehensive pet insurance has finite limits on what it will pay. Should a charity even go this far? Quite an ethical problem for them and indeed all but the wealthiest pet owners to wrestle with I would have thought.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 23rd Sep 16, 10:00 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 3,101 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:00 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 10:00 PM
    Yes, some insurers do have a limit on what can be spent on a specific condition. They , also, will not insure a pre-existing condition (common sense or everyone would only buy insurance when the animal was ill) and sometimes even one not directly connected with a condition. (eg someone's hound had it's leg cut by another dogs flexi-lead cable and the former's insurers refused to cover any future leg problem, whether caused by accident or through an ailment.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,383Posts Today

7,404Users online

Martin's Twitter