Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Trying to be sensible
    • By Trying to be sensible 19th Sep 16, 10:01 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Trying to be sensible
    Auris clutch problem
    • 19th Sep 16, 10:01 PM
    Auris clutch problem 19th Sep 16 at 10:01 PM
    I purchased a Toyota Auris 1.6 manual from a national Toyota franchise dealer network in September 2015. I also bought 2 year service plan.
    The car was first registered in December 2013 with delivery date to its' one previous owner 200 miles away in January 2014. The mileage at purchase was 12.800 miles.
    The service book recorded that the car had a first service in December 2014 at the Toyota franchise where it was initially bought when mileage was 7,500. A subsequent service was carried out in July 2015 when mileage was 12,854. This service was carried out by Dealer network from whom I bought the car and I presume this was where first owner traded it in.
    This is my third Toyota car with previous one being Avensis. I found Auris seemed to have difficulty with hills and road bends as gear indicators did not keep up with changes being made. Also found petrol consumption poor. I drive in rural area with lot of hills as well as on longer journeys on motorways to major cities.
    I submitted car for service in December 2015 when a "combination meter ECU recall - toyota" was carried out. No service was done as said not to be due until July 2016. ( Mileage then 16,100)
    In February I had flat tyre and when this was replaced a 'Visual Safety Report" was done.
    In July 2016 the 30,000 mile service was done ( Mileage 21,761) Checklist shows no cause for concern.

Last Friday I drove 50 + miles to spend day shopping with family members. When driving in town noticed burning smell but my passengers smelled nothing. On way home driving up hill car just lost all power and stopped. Had to be towed to National dealer's garage at 11 pm. 50 miles from my home. Has taken until today to get report from garage who say
    "we have carried out investigation & identified there
    is no "clutch",require gearbox removed for further checks..
    labour cost is £252.00...when fault is fully diagnosed we will
    re inform you of further "parts" costs required" When I queried that this should be under warranty they replied
    "i do agree that your car is still within 3 years but we are unable to confirm fault until gearbox removed,
    if it is a component mechanical failure then should be warranty but if the clutch is worn/burnt then not warranty..we did detect a "burning" smell..
    we require your authorisation to remove gearbox to confirm fault.."
    I need advice from you experts as to how to proceed. Sorry this is so long, .
Page 2
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 22nd Sep 16, 8:13 AM
    • 11,258 Posts
    • 9,538 Thanks
    AdrianC
    My point of course was very valid. A burnt out clutch doesn't automatically mean op is at fault in any way and doesn't necessarily prove wear and tear. Anybody that's actually worked in this industry would have seen this time and time again.
    Originally posted by arcon5
    Slow down there... Out of 100 burnt-out 20k-old clutches - especially in cars like near-new lowish-mileage Toyotas - roughly how many are down to component failures, and roughly how many are down to driver wuckfittery?

THAT is the point I'm making, and which you are utterly failing to address.
    • Rain Shadow
    • By Rain Shadow 22nd Sep 16, 12:27 PM
    • 1,201 Posts
    • 2,317 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    Slow down there... Out of 100 burnt-out 20k-old clutches - especially in cars like near-new lowish-mileage Toyotas - roughly how many are down to component failures, and roughly how many are down to driver wuckfittery?

THAT is the point I'm making, and which you are utterly failing to address.
    Originally posted by AdrianC

My 82 year old mother has an Aygo that has done 3000 miles in three years. I'm expecting the clutch to go at any time. I'm not imagining it will be a manufacturing fault.
    • david a
    • By david a 25th Sep 16, 11:08 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    david a
    I see you have put it is a manual but mentioned gear indicators not keeping up with changes. Is it an MMT?
    • Trying to be sensible
    • By Trying to be sensible 26th Sep 16, 4:47 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Trying to be sensible
    Thank you to those who posted since my last post. I will not respond to the ' I know better than you' posts to save time. Rain Shadow was a bit disappointed in your post presuming that 82 year olds are more than likely to ruin clutches. I am hoping that when you get to 82 your ofspring will have more understanding of life.
    David A Thank you for your post. My car is 1.6 v-matic Excel 5dr. IT has a petrol engine. According to website stuff they have a multidrive but I am not sure if that is what you mean. ( Information book is in the car at the garage.) I always felt my gear changes happened before the little arrow came on. similarly I would have the reverse gear in seconds before rear cameras showed. on screen. Does it make a difference to way one changes gear?
    Have just had 'report' from garage. Needs new clutch and Flywheel as first has burnt out and second overheated. Cost £921.
    • david a
    • By david a 26th Sep 16, 5:02 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    david a
    Hi. The MMT (Multi Mode Transmission) is effectively a manual gearbox but with no clutch pedal.
    Owners should be aware that with these kind of gearboxes leaving them in D whilst stationary will cause drag on the clutch leading to the clutch overheating and wearing out quicker.
    • Trying to be sensible
    • By Trying to be sensible 26th Sep 16, 5:22 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Trying to be sensible
    David thank you for the information. My car has a clutch pedal. Need to use it to start the car. Friends now tell me that they have always noticed this car is very noisy when driven off. Do not hear loud noise if in the car with me.
    They presumed that was typical of the Auris.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 26th Sep 16, 9:00 PM
    • 12,580 Posts
    • 7,884 Thanks
    arcon5
    Hi. The MMT (Multi Mode Transmission) is effectively a manual gearbox but with no clutch pedal.
    Owners should be aware that with these kind of gearboxes leaving them in D whilst stationary will cause drag on the clutch leading to the clutch overheating and wearing out quicker.
    Originally posted by david a

I'm sure I read this is a myth, manufacturers know this risk and designed it accordingly to disengage the clutch. Can't remember where now
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,121Users online

Martin's Twitter