Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cooltt
    • By cooltt 19th Sep 16, 8:37 PM
    • 432Posts
    • 205Thanks
    cooltt
    Opinions on MBNA cards
    • 19th Sep 16, 8:37 PM
    Opinions on MBNA cards 19th Sep 16 at 8:37 PM
    Does anyone else feel that MBNA offers are getting a little rubbish. I mean sure, they keep offering balance and money transfers but the fees and length of time are making it not worth it these days.

I got offered 14 months money transfer with 4% fee or 14 months balance transfer for 3.5% fee. Whats your thoughts? I feel that MBNA fees just keep creeping up. My Barclaycard and Virgin money are cheaper. Whats going on.
Page 1
    • pfpf
    • By pfpf 19th Sep 16, 11:11 PM
    • 4,067 Posts
    • 2,809 Thanks
    pfpf
    • 19th Sep 16, 11:11 PM
    • 19th Sep 16, 11:11 PM
    mine is currently 11 months BT with a 4% fee. I've never seen a "good" offer on my MBNA card after the initial offer.
    pfpf, the avatar previously seen as "the Monkey".
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 20th Sep 16, 4:43 AM
    • 1,168 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 20th Sep 16, 4:43 AM
    • 20th Sep 16, 4:43 AM
    My thoughts are that these are not very good offers but equally what sort of offer you get will depend on the manner in which you have been conducting your account so if you are a bad credit sort of person these may be very good offers for you.
    What sort of offers do you get on your other cards? How do these offers compare? Do eligibility checkers show a likelihood of your being accepted for a new card which would offer you better?
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 20th Sep 16, 7:01 AM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 1,561 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 20th Sep 16, 7:01 AM
    • 20th Sep 16, 7:01 AM
    Does anyone else feel that MBNA offers are getting a little rubbish. I mean sure, they keep offering balance and money transfers but the fees and length of time are making it not worth it these days.

I got offered 14 months money transfer with 4% fee or 14 months balance transfer for 3.5% fee. Whats your thoughts? I feel that MBNA fees just keep creeping up. My Barclaycard and Virgin money are cheaper. Whats going on.
    Originally posted by cooltt
    I get the usual offers as mentioned above. However with MBNA I find them very flexible. I wanted to trade one of my existing cards with them for their 20 month interest free on purchases. They allowed me to shift my credit limit with an increase to the new card and now enjoying the benefits of the new card.

Also they also offered me 1.5 percent on money transfers if taken in the first three months.

That said I find BC one of best to hold as often they offer money transfers for 12 month at 0.9 percent.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 20th Sep 16, 10:03 AM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 639 Thanks
    20aday
    • 20th Sep 16, 10:03 AM
    • 20th Sep 16, 10:03 AM
    When I first opened my MBNA credit builder card there was a fairly decent offer on 0% transfer for both existing balances and a money one too.

I've had nothing for the last month or so but imagine one might appear when my account is cleared.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your account conduct and credit history.
    • jamesperrett
    • By jamesperrett 20th Sep 16, 12:50 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    jamesperrett
    • 20th Sep 16, 12:50 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 12:50 PM
    After the initial attractive offer, I don't think I've ever received a really good offer from MBNA. However, they always have some kind of offer on which can be useful if you don't have any alternatives at the time.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 20th Sep 16, 1:52 PM
    • 3,278 Posts
    • 986 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 20th Sep 16, 1:52 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 1:52 PM
    They are fairly flexible and many of their offers aren't as good as taking out a new card. However, their offers be had with no more applications and credit searches.

It's worth noting that they they are up for sale, so that may have altered their appetite for low margin lending.
    • scott_lithgows
    • By scott_lithgows 21st Sep 16, 9:08 PM
    • 1,292 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    scott_lithgows
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:08 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:08 PM
    I think they are great! They always offer me a lob deal of 4.9% (no fee),quite often I transfer a balance to them and next day back to the original card as they are offering a superior 0% for more than a year.
    I have a deep burning indifference
    • Tori Bellatrix
    • By Tori Bellatrix 21st Sep 16, 10:59 PM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    Tori Bellatrix
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:59 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 10:59 PM
    When I first opened my MBNA credit builder card there was a fairly decent offer on 0% transfer for both existing balances and a money one too.

I've had nothing for the last month or so but imagine one might appear when my account is cleared.
    Originally posted by 20aday
    I have this card also. Have they given you an increase since you've had it?
    Tori Bellatrix

.∑:*®®*:∑..∑:*®®*:∑..∑:*®®*:∑.
    • starM
    • By starM 22nd Sep 16, 10:15 AM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    starM
    Any update on the sale?
    • Careful_ly
    • By Careful_ly 22nd Sep 16, 3:45 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    Careful_ly
    I was given 30 months 0% with a 3% fee on a MBNA card which had been unused for a very long time.

I was very happy to take them up on their offer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

195Posts Today

1,050Users online

Martin's Twitter