Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Singh23
    • By Singh23 19th Sep 16, 2:22 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Singh23
    nPower - No bills received in 6 months since switching
    • 19th Sep 16, 2:22 PM
    nPower - No bills received in 6 months since switching 19th Sep 16 at 2:22 PM
    Hi all,

I switched to nPower using a energy comparison website in Feb, not realising that they were going through all sorts of issues.

I received a letter within the last 1-2 months, explaining that the company has had trouble with billing customers and that they would slowly start to correct the issue with each customer.

To date, I have not been billed for my electric and gas usage. I am now concerned about incorrect billing due to what I've read online and the problem apparently being possible to linger on for many years to come.

What action do you recommend at this stage? Please bare in mind that I will have trouble repaying a large amount, though I have seen evidence that they will be willing to reduce the bills by a small amount in goodwill. Many thanks!
Page 1
    • victor2
    • By victor2 19th Sep 16, 2:28 PM
    • 4,453 Posts
    • 2,956 Thanks
    victor2
    • 19th Sep 16, 2:28 PM
    • 19th Sep 16, 2:28 PM
    You can work out from your starting meter readings and your current ones how much you owe. Put that money aside now and every month until it is resolved. Any goodwill gesture or discount will then be a bonus.
    • JEN22
    • By JEN22 19th Sep 16, 2:39 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    JEN22
    • 19th Sep 16, 2:39 PM
    • 19th Sep 16, 2:39 PM
    Ive never heard a good thing said about NPOWER
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 19th Sep 16, 5:16 PM
    • 5,106 Posts
    • 3,113 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 19th Sep 16, 5:16 PM
    • 19th Sep 16, 5:16 PM
    Ive never heard a good thing said about NPOWER
    Originally posted by JEN22
    I'll tell you one, then:

Last quarter, for the first time, my bill was not generated during the usual first couple of days in June, even though I had posted my readings online before the cut-off date.

I rang customer service, who said they could do me one there and then, but would need up to date readings. I ended the call to get these, then also negotiated a higher DD as the one I had wouldn't be sufficient, together with paying in a sum to bring up to date.

This month there was no bill again, so as a chat box popped up on my account page, I made my complaint, only to be asked to do fresh readings.

This did not please me , as having back problems, reading the gas meter is not easy, so I closed and emailed Executive Complaints.

I was given a case number , immediately and a lady rang me the following day.

She apologised, checked my account and could see no reason, except that last time the bill was done manually.

She did me an immediate bill and has credited my account with £25; not bad for a 5 minute call.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 19-09-2016 at 5:20 PM.
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 19th Sep 16, 6:23 PM
    • 2,596 Posts
    • 1,288 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 19th Sep 16, 6:23 PM
    • 19th Sep 16, 6:23 PM
    As you have found, n'powers systems are in a mess after a botched software update
    Keep safe your record of the meter readings you gave for the Switch - You know the prices of the tariff you switched to, so with that Start reading it's not too difficult to know what you owe at any given date from a meter readings
    Read you meter monthly and once again keep a safe record.
  • nPower company representative
    • 21st Sep 16, 4:32 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 4:32 PM
    Hi all,

I switched to nPower using a energy comparison website in Feb, not realising that they were going through all sorts of issues.

I received a letter within the last 1-2 months, explaining that the company has had trouble with billing customers and that they would slowly start to correct the issue with each customer.

To date, I have not been billed for my electric and gas usage. I am now concerned about incorrect billing due to what I've read online and the problem apparently being possible to linger on for many years to come.

What action do you recommend at this stage? Please bare in mind that I will have trouble repaying a large amount, though I have seen evidence that they will be willing to reduce the bills by a small amount in goodwill. Many thanks!
    Originally posted by Singh23
    Hi Singh23

Thanks for your post.

I'm disappointed to learn you're experiencing billing issues. We've resolved our prehistoric billing issues which were widely reported, however, there's sometimes genuine reasons why we won't produce a bill, such as a potential issue with the meter details or the meter readings don't fall in line with what we'd expect.

If you can get in touch using the details on our profile page, along with a photo of your meter(s) and up to date meter readings, we'll double check all the details are correct and get a bill over to you as quickly as possible.

Kind regards

Jess :-)
    Last edited by nPower company representative; 21-09-2016 at 4:33 PM. Reason: Typo
    ďOfficial Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
    • stevegrass777
    • By stevegrass777 22nd Sep 16, 10:50 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    stevegrass777
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:50 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:50 PM
    I would move away from npower as quick as you can,very very bad company,can't bill properly,don't observe the energy billing code and are corporate bullies in my opinion.
    They also make you pay heavily for there mistakes,if they told me they would give me free energy I still wouldn't deal with them!!!
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/energy/2016/09/npower-worst-energy-supplier-at-dealing-with-customer-complaints-ofgem-survey-reveals
    • stevegrass777
    • By stevegrass777 22nd Sep 16, 10:56 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    stevegrass777
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:56 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 10:56 PM
    I've fallen for the we've fixed it all now stuff they spout often and it just drags on and on and they never seem to fix it then they put you in debt and won't let you leave.
    Look at reviews,still very very bad right up to date!
    https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.npower.com
    • likabu
    • By likabu 25th Sep 16, 6:39 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    likabu
    • 25th Sep 16, 6:39 PM
    • 25th Sep 16, 6:39 PM
    Hi Singh23

. We've resolved our prehistoric billing issues which were widely reported,

Jess :-)
    Originally posted by nPower company representative

Err, no you haven't. I've just received a letter apologising for delay in bill dated 9th September. I received it on 22nd September. I was only with npower for 4 weeks in June, provided opening and closing meter readings on the specific dates and still no bill.

Your retention team does manage to ring nearly every other day though - I ignore the phone!
    Brassic!
    • nothingwitty
    • By nothingwitty 26th Sep 16, 10:25 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    nothingwitty
    Npower delays
    am in exactly the same boat and hugely regret moving to npower. no bills for six months and letters aplogising but not offering any solution. If anyone is thinking of moving to them, don't do it.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 26th Sep 16, 11:00 AM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 2,342 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I'll tell you one, then:
    Originally posted by teddysmum

I'll tell you another, Jen22 (dons hard hat and riot mask)

Yes, nPower have a terrible press but I have just checked with the CEC yet again and it says, "you're on the cheapest deal". Not cheap; cheapest. Cheaper than the the much-vaunted Big Switch 5. What price good customer service, really? £20 a month? That's what the also much-vaunted Eon would have charged me last time I checked.

Yes, nPower do mess up on a regular basis and many of their online chat people leave a great deal to be desired (don't think they are UK based) so I usually end up calling them. When I do, almost always I speak to someone who is professional, friendly, courteous and customer-focused. They cannot always fix the problem then and there and some in their complaints department fall far short of the customer service staff in the way they engage with me but they are getting better. The last complaint I had to raise was dealt with in textbook perfect fashion. Thanks again, Catherine at nPower complaints. Thumbs up from me.

P.S. Jess, you are a braver person than most.
    What is this life, if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?

Every stew starts with the first onion.

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • stevegrass777
    • By stevegrass777 26th Sep 16, 1:29 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    stevegrass777
    I'll tell you another, Jen22 (dons hard hat and riot mask)

Yes, nPower have a terrible press but I have just checked with the CEC yet again and it says, "you're on the cheapest deal". Not cheap; cheapest. Cheaper than the the much-vaunted Big Switch 5. What price good customer service, really? £20 a month? That's what the also much-vaunted Eon would have charged me last time I checked.

Yes, nPower do mess up on a regular basis and many of their online chat people leave a great deal to be desired (don't think they are UK based) so I usually end up calling them. When I do, almost always I speak to someone who is professional, friendly, courteous and customer-focused. They cannot always fix the problem then and there and some in their complaints department fall far short of the customer service staff in the way they engage with me but they are getting better. The last complaint I had to raise was dealt with in textbook perfect fashion. Thanks again, Catherine at nPower complaints. Thumbs up from me.

P.S. Jess, you are a braver person than most.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Npower are having to be one of the cheaper suppliers for new switches to get as many customers as possible to replace the ones that are leaving.
    I just find it doesn't matter how cheap the deal is,it the billing system keeps getting it wrong it can cost you loads more,as the billing system is the thing that invoices you it can put you in debt and stops you from leaving.
    In my experience they don't abide by the energy billing code, (they back billed 15 months on my farthers account and still refuse to alter this even when the ombudsman has told them) .
    They also lied on letters to my farther by post dating letters by 2-3 months so as to make out they abided by the conditions that the ombudsman gave them,they also post using a system that doesn't mark the envelope with a date (very crafty indeed).
    I just can't believe how bad this company treated my pensioner farther.
    And how they wouldn't put things right or offer a payment plan until threatened by the ombudsman.
    I would never go with npower even if they were free,or the parent company RWE.
    They have ruined the npower name with billing that is wrong often,and customer service that can't fix the billing.
    Also every time they read the economy 7 meter they got the day and night readings the wrong way round.
    Utterly useless and bullying corporate cowboy is how I would describe them.
    Also they pay the uk tax system very little and shuffle all the profits into other countries to pay less tax here that's what the newspapers say anyway.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 26th Sep 16, 4:49 PM
    • 5,106 Posts
    • 3,113 Thanks
    teddysmum

Yes, nPower do mess up on a regular basis and many of their online chat people leave a great deal to be desired (don't think they are UK based) so I usually end up calling them.

They are based abroad. That's why I gave up on chat (only used it as the box popped up while I checked my account and I only wanted to ask what should be a simple question) and emailed instead.

I'm glad I did as it's only Executive Complaints who pay credits after an error.

Back office and 'chat' staff are abroad,but most (all?) call centre staff are UK based.
    Last edited by teddysmum; Today at 4:32 PM.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 26th Sep 16, 5:17 PM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 2,342 Thanks
    Smodlet
    teddysmum, it is not only Executive Complaints who pay credits after error, unless the customer service staff refer to them while I am on hold. Usually it takes only a few minutes to get a credit if they are in error and, if they are not, we would not complain in the first place, would we?

As for billing errors, yes they do occur but, if one takes ownership and provides meter readings on the same date every month, and works out what the bill should be at the same time, it is usually fairly easy to get them rectified. If an elderly person is unable to do that, their diligent offspring surely are able to do it for them, I would imagine. I would take the same care no matter which provider I was with as they all can make errors. You pay your money, you make your choice... and I have been with nPower for at least five years. That is my choice. I sympathise with those whose experiences have been so negative and hope their issues are resolved soon.
    What is this life, if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?

Every stew starts with the first onion.

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 26th Sep 16, 10:40 PM
    • 5,106 Posts
    • 3,113 Thanks
    teddysmum
    teddysmum, it is not only Executive Complaints who pay credits after error, unless the customer service staff refer to them while I am on hold. Usually it takes only a few minutes to get a credit if they are in error and, if they are not, we would not complain in the first place, would we?

As for billing errors, yes they do occur but, if one takes ownership and provides meter readings on the same date every month, and works out what the bill should be at the same time, it is usually fairly easy to get them rectified. If an elderly person is unable to do that, their diligent offspring surely are able to do it for them, I would imagine. I would take the same care no matter which provider I was with as they all can make errors. You pay your money, you make your choice... and I have been with nPower for at least five years. That is my choice. I sympathise with those whose experiences have been so negative and hope their issues are resolved soon.

We've been with them since they were the MEB (Midlands Electricity Board) and since it's been possible to change provider have found them to be competitive; just a saving of £50 or so, sometimes possible, not guaranteed, and not worth the hassle of switching.

I, too, keep an eye on our bills , readings and messages, making contact as soon as a problem occurs, so it doesn't escalate.
    • stevegrass777
    • By stevegrass777 27th Sep 16, 10:08 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    stevegrass777
    https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.npower.com
    Don't take my word for it,there are thousands of others with problems.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/energy-bills/12083072/Exposed-disgraced-and-fined-but-npowers-contempt-for-customers-STILL-goes-on.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/bills-and-utilities/gas-electric/npower-demanded-12000---18-months-after-we-left/

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/business/news/14028528.Npower_loses_200_000_customer_as_bosses_a dmit__tough_year__continues/

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/14157703.Suspected_drug_found_at_Worcester_HQ_of_e nergy_firm_nPower/
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 27th Sep 16, 4:34 PM
    • 5,106 Posts
    • 3,113 Thanks
    teddysmum
    There are, as with many other companies, but it tends to be only dissatisfied customers who post, as is the case with any commercial product.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,959Posts Today

7,496Users online

Martin's Twitter