Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • blindman
    • By blindman 19th Sep 16, 2:03 PM
    • 4,750Posts
    • 3,865Thanks
    blindman
    0 WOW
    One way Car rental Fees in California
    • 19th Sep 16, 2:03 PM
    0 WOW
    One way Car rental Fees in California 19th Sep 16 at 2:03 PM
    Hi

When did car rentals start charging one way fees for drop offs in California?>?

In the past I've done several Ow's (LAX-SFO etc) and it was easy to find a rate that did not include a drop off fee.

Now they all seem to charge?

Have those days gone ?

Just found out it's because I'm booking in August (never usually travel then).
    Last edited by blindman; 19-09-2016 at 2:08 PM.
Page 2
    • FunTime
    • By FunTime 21st Sep 16, 6:23 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    FunTime
    Lets draw a line under this:

1. Going direct to Alamo\Hertz etc for this West cost trip gives no OW fee regardless of travel.

2. Going through Netflights has no OW fee if LAX-SFO and is cheaper by far than going direct.

Wrong, of course.

I have found the answer to my original Q.

Thanks.

BTW
    Yesterday I could not see the screenshots due to the filtering at work.
    Originally posted by blindman

9% Cashback equalling £18.10 Total cost £183.40

But who am I to argue with a blind man?
    • FunTime
    • By FunTime 21st Sep 16, 6:36 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    FunTime
    Your original itinerary :

But with your scary US$399 one way charge.

Direct:

£259.41 after cashback, but no fear of a one way charge.
    • FunTime
    • By FunTime 21st Sep 16, 7:14 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    FunTime
    Blindman, you are wrong in thinking that I didn't look at the LAX to SFO quote. In fact I questioned quite why you decided to change from SFO to LAX, if only because of your perceived one way fee.

My point was to show you that you could keep your original itinerary(most prefer driving north to south, for the views), eliminate any possibility of a one way fee and pay a comparable or lesser amount by going direct.

By why would I expect a blind man to see...... You are clearly stuck in your ways and think you are right....even when the evidence shows you are not.

Banging on? A nice way to describe the actions someone who went to the trouble of helping you. Yuk!

I should remember to put you on ignore, lest I forget and make the same mistake of helping you again.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 21st Sep 16, 7:25 PM
    • 4,750 Posts
    • 3,865 Thanks
    blindman

Banging on? A nice way to describe the actions someone who went to the trouble of helping you. Yuk!

I should remember to put you on ignore, lest I forget and make the same mistake of helping you again.
    Please do not try to help me again

I can happily do without it
    • FunTime
    • By FunTime 21st Sep 16, 7:28 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    FunTime
    What I didn't show you...in answer to your post #11 is the quote for Hertz:

£195.33 minus Quidco cashback of 8% equalling £179.71

So most definitely cheaper than your broker.

It's only money. The most important thing is that you could just keep on doing the same thing that you've done for twenty years. Even if it meant changing your itinerary.
    • FunTime
    • By FunTime 21st Sep 16, 7:29 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    FunTime
    I don't know why you bothered posting here. Just a waste of everyone's time.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 21st Sep 16, 7:40 PM
    • 4,750 Posts
    • 3,865 Thanks
    blindman
    I don't know why you bothered posting here. Just a waste of everyone's time.
    Originally posted by FunTime
    You seem to have plenty of it..

Maybe you missed my earlier post about drawing a line and my Q has been answered.

And of course you're still banging on-thought you'd put me on ignore??

Do all your other 250ish posts bang on about you being right?
    • FunTime
    • By FunTime 21st Sep 16, 7:58 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    FunTime
    You seem to have plenty of it..

Maybe you missed my earlier post about drawing a line and my Q has been answered.

And of course you're still banging on-thought you'd put me on ignore??

Do all your other 250ish posts bang on about you being right?
    Originally posted by blindman
    You clearly don't need anyone here....with your twenty years of experience

One way fee indeed. Utter waste of time and ungrateful to boot.
    • FunTime
    • By FunTime 21st Sep 16, 9:00 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    FunTime
    The OP was looking at Alamo via NetFlights, but they suggested a US$399 one way fee.

So my suggestion was to book direct with Alamo via Quidco....with no one way fee and as a bonus it being cheaper.

Alamo via NetFlights £186.40

Alamo via Quidco £183.40

So tell me about the benefit of booking Alamo via NetFlights, rather than direct with Alamo for when it comes to convenience factor variations of the car rental locations at these large US airports, airline frequent flyer point implications and also free membership of car rental loyalty clubs and their benefits.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 22-09-2016 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Quoting edited post
    • dickydonkin
    • By dickydonkin 21st Sep 16, 9:04 PM
    • 2,747 Posts
    • 2,772 Thanks
    dickydonkin
    Not forgetting the customer experience as well. On my recent trip to the US, I could have hired my car cheaper than I did from another company.

The reason I took the more expensive option was that I knew I would have a good choice of vehicle, I wouldn't have to go through the monotonous attempts at upselling and there would be no attempts at falsely claiming I had damaged the car.

All experiences I have encountered from the same company that I avoid like the plague-irrespective of price.

It's not all about the price tag!

No doubt this is going to be another long drawn out thread of screen shots.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 22-09-2016 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Quoting edited post
    • FunTime
    • By FunTime 21st Sep 16, 9:18 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    FunTime
    Not forgetting the customer experience as well. On my recent trip to the US, I could have hired my car cheaper than I did from another company.

The reason I took the more expensive option was that I knew I would have a good choice of vehicle, I wouldn't have to go through the monotonous attempts at upselling and there would be no attempts at falsely claiming I had damaged the car.

All experiences I have encountered from the same company that I avoid like the plague-irrespective of price.

It's not all about the price tag!

No doubt this is going to be another long drawn out thread of screen shots.
    Originally posted by dickydonkin
    Erm.....the OP asked about Alamo via NetFlights and I've quoted Alamo direct.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 22-09-2016 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Inappropriate posting
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 21st Sep 16, 9:18 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    thanks to all, going to do a USA road trip in 2017 and some good ideas for car hire costs on here.
    • dickydonkin
    • By dickydonkin 21st Sep 16, 10:01 PM
    • 2,747 Posts
    • 2,772 Thanks
    dickydonkin
    To answer your question, the relevance of my post was to highlight that as the more sensible posters will realise, the price of a product or service should not be the deciding factor in selecting it.

As usual, you are being selective and very creative with other people's quotes.

As for embarrassing myself over the other post you alluded to, I reported the disgusting insulting personal comment you made to a contributor on that thread and quite rightly the post was removed and thankfully the thread was closed.

Sadly, this thread seems to be heading the same way.

The Op has indicated he does not require your 'advice' so just let it go.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 22-09-2016 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Quoting edited post
    • HHarry
    • By HHarry 22nd Sep 16, 8:06 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    HHarry
    What I didn't show you...in answer to your post #11 is the quote for Hertz:

£195.33 minus Quidco cashback of 8% equalling £179.71

So most definitely cheaper than your broker.

It's only money. The most important thing is that you could just keep on doing the same thing that you've done for twenty years. Even if it meant changing your itinerary.

Well that explains my confusion. You jumped on my price as being more expensive, but hadn't actually posted your quote at that point.
    • FunTime
    • By FunTime 22nd Sep 16, 11:15 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    FunTime
    Well that explains my confusion. You jumped on my price as being more expensive, but hadn't actually posted your quote at that point.
    Originally posted by HHarry
    Actually, no. Since Alamo via NetFlights didn't suggest a one way fee at £186.40, there was little benefit in paying more to go with AVIS.

Also at that point I still remembered the Alamo direct price at £186.40. In fact it was £183.40.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 22nd Sep 16, 11:25 AM
    • 16,918 Posts
    • 6,791 Thanks
    richardw
    ...there was little benefit in paying more to go with AVIS....
    Is that little or no benefit whatsoever to go with Avis?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • FunTime
    • By FunTime 22nd Sep 16, 11:30 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    FunTime
    Is that little or no benefit whatsoever to go with Avis?
    Originally posted by richardw
    Diplomacy. Some people might deserve it

On the other hand, when it comes to convenience factor variations of the car rental locations at these large US airports, airline frequent flyer point implications and also free membership of car rental loyalty clubs and their benefits.....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,373Posts Today

7,464Users online

Martin's Twitter