Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Weave
    • By Weave 19th Sep 16, 1:26 PM
    • 93Posts
    • 21Thanks
    Weave
    Evans Halshaw versus We Buy Any Car guarantee
    • 19th Sep 16, 1:26 PM
    Evans Halshaw versus We Buy Any Car guarantee 19th Sep 16 at 1:26 PM
    Hi

Anyone used Evans Halshaw to sell their car recently?

I am buying a new car for the wife and the dealer has offered a px of £5500. We Buy Any Car online valuation is £6150 and Evans Halshaw's online 'estimate' is £6700.

Evans Halshaw guarantee to beat WBAC but do they just add another £1 on top of the WBAC price when you get there?

Anyone had any experience of the Evans Halshaw guarantee?

My nearest WBAC is just 3 miles away but Evans Halshaw is a 2 hour round trip. I don't want to go to all that effort to find the price they actually pay is a tiny bit more than WBAC. My concern is their use of the word 'estimate' when they offer £6700 I don't want it to turn into £6151 after driving an hour to get to them!

Thanks.
Page 1
    • bobbymotors
    • By bobbymotors 19th Sep 16, 2:39 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    bobbymotors
    • 19th Sep 16, 2:39 PM
    • 19th Sep 16, 2:39 PM
    we buy any car tends to be at the lower end of trade value as WBAC is owned by British Car Auctions so that's where your car will go..with a profit to WBAC AND to the dealer that buys it from the auction.

Nothing wrong with that, they are there to make a profit, and they're allowed to do so.

So the dealer is definitely trying to 'nick' your car.

If you can put up what car it is, together with age, mileage and condition also does it have fsh, etc then we might be able to give an opinion on the likelihood of EH buying it for £6700
    • loskie
    • By loskie 19th Sep 16, 3:02 PM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 679 Thanks
    loskie
    • 19th Sep 16, 3:02 PM
    • 19th Sep 16, 3:02 PM
    try the car buying group too. they come to you and there are no charges > I sold my Volvo V50 to them got 2525 which was about 150 more than wbac plus no fees and collected from my house
    • dannyrst
    • By dannyrst 19th Sep 16, 3:59 PM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    dannyrst
    • 19th Sep 16, 3:59 PM
    • 19th Sep 16, 3:59 PM
    EH will beat the quote. That is based on an actual quote for your car in the condition it is actually in. So if you don't tell WBAC that you have a tiny dent on the bonnet and EH find it, they may not honour the quote.

That being said, if you have done a quote for the condition your car is realistically in (not through rose tinted glasses), EH are less likely to try and find issue to knock the price down than WBAC. So whilst they may only beat the quote by £1, in reality, they may be offering you £1000 more than WBAC's final offer.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 20th Sep 16, 3:34 AM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    • 20th Sep 16, 3:34 AM
    • 20th Sep 16, 3:34 AM
    I wouldn't rely on the WBAC online quote, go along and see them and get a real world price before making a decision.
    • Trapdoor
    • By Trapdoor 20th Sep 16, 8:30 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Trapdoor
    • 20th Sep 16, 8:30 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 8:30 PM
    Try tootle.co.uk - it's free and may get you a better deal.

Didn't for my car that the dealer tried to 'steal' off me for a derisory p/ex quote, but WBAC beat it by £2k and the WBAC price paid was well over what EH offered. Suppose it depends on the car.

But you really DO have to be realistic with your damage assessment and be prepared to be knocked down and then haggle hard to get the money back up some. Gathering up your paperwork and making a move to leave seems to work, but you do have to be realistic.
    • Weave
    • By Weave 23rd Sep 16, 5:31 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Weave
    • 23rd Sep 16, 5:31 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 5:31 PM
    Just to update on this thread as I hate it when I find a thread that tales of with no answer....

Today I have sold the car to another online dealer called Money4yourMotors. They offered me £6550 online before inspection. They came to my house this morning to inspect and deducted for a scuffed alloy and for not having a full dealer history (last stamp was done by an independent garage). They also highlighted that the only previous owner was Avis Budget Ltd so they said it must have been a rental car before I purchased it. This last bit of info was news to me as I bought it from a Peugeot dealer and they told me it was ex staff/management fleet car (That is a lesson learned, look carefully at the previous owners name and don't take the sales mans word for it!). Not sure how much this previous owner being a rental company affected the final price.

Anyway... they offered me £6004 and then we settled on £6250 less their admin fee of £68.

I am happy with that price and the process was hassle free. I think if I had done the 2 hour round trip to EH trying to chase the £6700 valuation they would have ended up about the same after the inspection. At least I did better than the WBAC price and I didn't have to leave the house.

Hope this info proves useful to any future readers.

Thanks to everyone for you input as always
    • Weave
    • By Weave 23rd Sep 16, 5:35 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Weave
    • 23rd Sep 16, 5:35 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 5:35 PM
    Oh, by the way....

The Money4yourMotors inspector said the car will go to a body shop to be polished up for retail sale and will then be sold back to Peugeot and be advertised for around £8000!

Makes you think twice about how much quality control the main dealers have over their approved used vehicles if they are buying them like this.
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 23rd Sep 16, 6:46 PM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 954 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    • 23rd Sep 16, 6:46 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 6:46 PM
    I looked at WBAC earlier this year when selling my Qashqai, they offered a reasonable price, though I did do slightly better in the end through a local dealer, the big thing that put me off WBAC is payment, their normal terms are 7 days, if you want payment sooner you have to pay IIRC they were looking at £200 and then the local rep couldn't guarantee same day payment, apparently it can be 2 days on higher value cars.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
    • deanos
    • By deanos 24th Sep 16, 8:19 AM
    • 10,736 Posts
    • 5,518 Thanks
    deanos
    . They also highlighted that the only previous owner was Avis Budget Ltd so they said it must have been a rental car before I purchased it. This last bit of info was news to me as I bought it from a Peugeot dealer and they told me it was ex staff/management fleet car (That is a lesson learned, look carefully at the previous owners name and don't take the sales mans word for it!).
    Originally posted by Weave
    When i was looking at nearly new cars , i would say the vast majority of them were ex rental cars in the main dealers , i also usually got the "ex management" line off the salesmen

If you see ERAC on the log book that will be Enterprice Rent A Car
    • Fillipio99
    • By Fillipio99 9th Apr 17, 5:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Fillipio99
    See my review.

Basically evans halshaw automaticalky add more to the price for your valuation. But once you get to the appointment, they use webuyanycar.com to come tonthier final valuation. Awful..

Dont sell your car to evan halshaw. They just use we buy any car...

I had been trying to sell my car (fiat 500) for a couple of weeks and decided to use the online services such as 'webuyanycar.com' and other various ones available online.
    Naturally you know what you do these kind of valuations that you are paid the lowest price in effect so that the bigger companies can make a solid prophet on them.

After doing a couple of these, I then came across Evan Halshaws Website who also boasted an online valuation of your vehicle. After filling out the form the valuation for them would be able to pay me approximately £600 mor than what everyone else was paying. So i decided to book and appointment with them to get the ball rolling with the sale of my car.. HUGE MISTAKE!

When I arrived there, the car dealer took all of my documents (v5, mot, service history) and took them upstairs to photocopy but did NOT bring them back. He then mentioned that he would have to perform a NEW valuation for today because the figures can change on a day to day basis. He then took his extremely broken iPad and went outside to have a look at my vehicle for sale. He came back and note some minute scratches he had found which is typical with any second had car that has been driven on the roads. I expected this none the less.

He then proceeded to show me his iPad with a new valuation pending on the screen. When i looked at the web address I noticed he was on 'Webuyanycar.com' and not Evan Halshaws official Valuation site that I had used the day previously. I asked him 'Why are you on webuyanycar.com', he answered 'this is what we use to get our true valuations on the cars'.
    Instantly alarm bells were ringing, as the official Evans Halshaw Valuation is clearly a tactic to get you in there in order to 'Hard Buy' the car from you.

Low and behold, after he had done his evaluation on 'Webuyanycar.com' the total was significantly lower than the one that was originally completed (over £600 lower in fact).

I was disgusted that Evan Halshaw had used 'Webuyanycar.com' in order to get to their final price. This makes the evans Halshaw Valuation app completely irrelevant. It did take me a couple of askings in order to get my document back also, which we're still situated upstairs for some reason (probably another tactic).

I do not sell to anyone who has to use lies and cheap tactics in order to rip someone else off so that they can make profit.

I would advise people DO NOT SELL their car to Evans Halshaw, Nor buy one either.

RIP OFF MERCHANTS.

UPDATE: just 24 hours later I managed to sell the car for £900 than what Evan Halshaw we're offering me.......
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 20th May 17, 10:24 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    mutley74
    What is the legal reasons for quote same day? (is it a Consumer Act Requirement?) (or do you really mean your internal EH sales requirements?)
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 23-05-2017 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 20th May 17, 11:39 AM
    • 25,870 Posts
    • 10,297 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    The secret unwritten law known only to the people that make it up.

As the WBAC quote is valid for 7 days are you sure the price changes daily?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 20th May 17, 3:47 PM
    • 11,613 Posts
    • 6,512 Thanks
    Strider590
    For me Evans Halshaw always makes me think of barge poles........
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 20th May 17, 4:44 PM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    What is the legal reasons for quote same day? (is it a Consumer Act Requirement?) (or do you really mean your internal EH sales requirements?)
    Originally posted by mutley74

I'd love to know the legal reason too.

• martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 20th May 17, 4:54 PM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 5,527 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    For me Evans Halshaw always makes me think of barge poles........
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Oh yes, and I wouldn't even use yours for them
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • marlot
    • By marlot 20th May 17, 5:08 PM
    • 3,069 Posts
    • 2,197 Thanks
    marlot
    Like others, I don't believe there is a legal reason. I think your employer is just riding on the back of the fact that WBAC have made a significant investment in their software - and your employer is using it to make sure that you're not overpaying relative to other players in the market.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 23-05-2017 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    • harrys dad
    • By harrys dad 20th May 17, 5:47 PM
    • 1,816 Posts
    • 2,034 Thanks
    harrys dad
    Hopefully the post from the EH employee made against forum rules will be removed soon. If it isn't, there is enough in it to show that their process is hopeless anyway. I love the "our quote assumes one owner and fsh". If that info affects the price offered then why not ask for it, rather than give an inflated "best circumstances" quote.

Pathetic.
    • Pottsie
    • By Pottsie 1st Jul 17, 11:29 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pottsie
    Con men
    Hi, have just went to wbac and evans halshaw buy your car on same day, wbac gave me a price of £4700 first after checking and deductions for stone chips etc, then without haggling upped my price by £125. Then it was a trip to EH, who said car was in good nic, so good that he would stick it on his forecourt for sale. Anyway computers were running slow, has to send pictures away to central buying team for price, got phone a call 3 hours later saying he would pay 4500 and could go no higher. So its a no brainer who got the car. So much for come to us direct, we pay more than wbac
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 22nd Sep 17, 2:15 PM
    • 7,388 Posts
    • 7,920 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Bumping this as I've just sold my car via EH, they paid £350 more than WBAC offered (and £450 more than the dealer I bought it from new and thats serviced it, offered as well)

Service was reasonable, the process did take 90 min, they went over the car looking for dents and scratches but were OK with a few tiny stone chips said they could be polished out. Next time if i was selling i would look for such small blemishes with more care, and polish those out myself.

But overall i was very happy with the service from them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

250Posts Today

2,588Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin