Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 19th Sep 16, 7:54 AM
    • 864Posts
    • 1,208Thanks
    fredandwilma
    Milkman Energy - New Monthly Collective Switching Company?
    • 19th Sep 16, 7:54 AM
    Milkman Energy - New Monthly Collective Switching Company? 19th Sep 16 at 7:54 AM
    Milkman Energy
    Last edited by fredandwilma; 09-10-2016 at 1:29 PM.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
Page 1
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 19th Sep 16, 5:23 PM
    • 7,788 Posts
    • 4,613 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 19th Sep 16, 5:23 PM
    • 19th Sep 16, 5:23 PM
    What are their credentials? Anyone can set up a website.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 19th Sep 16, 5:37 PM
    • 9,365 Posts
    • 3,824 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 19th Sep 16, 5:37 PM
    • 19th Sep 16, 5:37 PM
    Capital £100 .

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09066371/filing-history
    • FOREVER21
    • By FOREVER21 19th Sep 16, 5:42 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 989 Thanks
    FOREVER21
    • 19th Sep 16, 5:42 PM
    • 19th Sep 16, 5:42 PM
    What are their credentials? Anyone can set up a website.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    They say they are an independent energy collective, organisation.
    Additionally they charge no fee to customers and say also they get a fee from energy companies.

Where they seem to differ from other collectives is that once a "winner" is selected then customers details e-mail address will be passed on and the supplier will then cont.act the potential customer direct. There is no further dealings with the milkman ( rather silly name methinks)
    They also make a point in saying that all customers details are deleted from their data base, and that they do not sell on information.

So there you have it their registration does not involve giving them any financial information.

Might give it a try.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 19th Sep 16, 6:55 PM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 1,691 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 19th Sep 16, 6:55 PM
    • 19th Sep 16, 6:55 PM
    A company i haven't seen before. I can't see who this switch is powered by, but there are 11 days left to register for this collective switch. I note it says they hold monthly auctions. To be tried and tested, i haven't used them before, so don't blame me.

https://www.milkmanenergy.com/
    Originally posted by fredandwilma
    Certainly worth a look. I have now signed up for their collective switch and with UK Power. Hopefully a little more promising than with the Energy Club.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 19th Sep 16, 7:39 PM
    • 3,307 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 19th Sep 16, 7:39 PM
    • 19th Sep 16, 7:39 PM
    Anyone remember Ben Scammell and his pipeline card?

Best to keep to the comparison sites included in the MSE articles.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 19th Sep 16, 8:01 PM
    • 3,307 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 19th Sep 16, 8:01 PM
    • 19th Sep 16, 8:01 PM
    The site has been spammed here before - it's an affilaite site to the Ofgem accredited comparison site MyUtilityGenius.co.uk

Looks like they have tried even harder to disguise this fact since the last time it was spammed here.

(Trouble is, some of us have very long memories )
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 20th Sep 16, 7:06 AM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 1,691 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 20th Sep 16, 7:06 AM
    • 20th Sep 16, 7:06 AM
    Following copied from Scamadviser.com. Hopefully they will not mind me quoting the following from their article.

How did milkmanenergy.com get a Trust Score of 80% ?
    When checking milkmanenergy.com we looked at many factors, such as the ownership details, location, popularity and other sites relating to reviews, threats, phishing etc. Although a site like may have a high trust rating, it's worth just checking the countries involved as these could indicate that goods would be shipped from abroad rather than your home country.

The internet is populated with many fake and scam sites - with many being created daily purely to look genuine. Even many review sites are tainted with fake reviews making it almost impossible for somedbody to detect a safe site from a scam. We attempt to analyse the website information and provide a trust guide that will help you determine the risk rating of .
    unquote
    Last edited by MABLE; 20-09-2016 at 7:09 AM.
    • FOREVER21
    • By FOREVER21 8th Oct 16, 8:18 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 989 Thanks
    FOREVER21
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:18 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:18 PM
    I also received my quote from mikman energy, again for me the E-On was the best deal,but again it was not available to me as an existing customer.

The new tariff was slightly more than my current one but I would have gone with it,to get the extra period of fix.

This tactic by E-On seems to be the future trend with collectives, very annoying.
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 8th Dec 16, 8:19 AM
    • 864 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    Email received from Milkman Energy
    No actual "collective" winner from Milkman Energy, this month.

Thanks for taking part in the latest Milkman Energy switch. The auction for your energy contract is now over, and you are now just a few clicks away from cheaper energy.

Energy prices are rising and the cheapest deals are being constantly pulled from the market. Expect energy bills to go up by at least 10%. We highly recommend you fix into a new deal now.

GB Energy collapsed this month resulting in the regulator (OFGEM) intervening and moving 160,000 customers to Co-Op Energy. GB Energy blamed wholesale energy prices and a lack of funds to pay for high energy prices.

This month, Milkman Energy have decided to not accept the cheapest deals because we feel that more small suppliers a likely to go out of business this winter.

We spoke to suppliers to understand their trading strategy and ability to cope with volatile energy prices and felt that Place for People Energy have access to wholesale energy products and financial resources to cope with rising prices. In fact Place for People Energy have already bought gas and electricity for the winter and beyond.

The cheapest supplier was Places for People Energy Together - December 2017 - fixed 40-Paperless*.

Carpe diem
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 28th Dec 16, 2:13 PM
    • 8,268 Posts
    • 20,325 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi everyone

Milkman Energy has asked to give a response on this thread.

MSE doesn't endorse anything a company says on the Forum.

Hi all,

Over the past few months, visitors to Money Saving Expert have written several posts about Milkman Energy. This is very flattering. This is a very “clued-up” forum, and while some of the comments have been slightly wide of the mark, all have been interesting. We’re happy to put a clear picture of our model here. If you’d like more information, you can visit our website, our watch this video.

Milkman Energy is an independent company, set up by two people, one of whom has seventeen years’ experience in the energy sector. We run monthly collective switches, which work in the following way: during each calendar month we gather a cohort of people together, all of whom have expressed an interest in switching their energy supplier and cutting their bills. When the month ends, we ask suppliers to quote for that group’s business. Within a week or so, we have a best quote to recommend to the group. We then invite members of the group to sign-up, should they want to.

Our aim is to gather large enough volumes of customers each month to encourage suppliers to create bespoke tariffs which are cheaper than available elsewhere. Given that our numbers have been growing month-by-month, we hope that soon every one of our switches will involve a unique and bespoke tariff, beating the tariffs available at price comparison sites. However, in the months when we cannot achieve a bespoke tariff, we will recommend the cheapest deal on the market - or the cheapest deal from what we consider a completely safe and stable supplier (it’s an uncertain time right now for some of the smaller suppliers, as you know).

An important point to make is that Milkman Energy’s model is completely no obligation. People who enter a monthly switch pay us nothing; if they do not like the tariff we find for them, they can pull out without any penalty; we do not give any suppliers customer details until the customer has confirmed they want to switch.

If they do choose to switch, we get paid a small flat fee by the supplier, but the customer pays us nothing.

To address a couple of other interesting points raised by people on this forum:

That we are “an affiliate of My Utility Genius”: we use My Utility Genius as a supplier, as do several others. They primarily help run our customer “onboarding”. They’re a good company - but that’s the extent of our relationship with them.

That Milkman Energy is a silly name: yes. Fair cop. It is a silly name.

Thanks. Interested to see any further posts - and if you have any questions direct for us, please email hello@milkmanenergy.com.

Regards,

The Milkman Energy team.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 28th Dec 16, 3:07 PM
    • 10,811 Posts
    • 14,005 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Hope you won't mind be quoting, Andrea, and highlighting is mine:

Hi everyone

Hi all,

Over the past few months, visitors to Money Saving Expert have written several posts about Milkman Energy. This is very flattering. This is a very “clued-up” forum, and while some of the comments have been slightly wide of the mark,
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea

They really should be identifying which comments these are, otherwise this is baseless.

all have been interesting. We’re happy to put a clear picture of our model here. If you’d like more information, you can visit our website, our watch this video.

Milkman Energy is an independent company, set up by two people, one of whom has seventeen years’ experience in the energy sector. We run monthly collective switches, which work in the following way: during each calendar month we gather a cohort of people together, all of whom have expressed an interest in switching their energy supplier and cutting their bills. When the month ends, we ask suppliers to quote for that group’s business. Within a week or so, we have a best quote to recommend to the group. We then invite members of the group to sign-up, should they want to.

Our aim is to gather large enough volumes of customers each month to encourage suppliers to create bespoke tariffs which are cheaper than available elsewhere. Given that our numbers have been growing month-by-month, we hope that soon every one of our switches will involve a unique and bespoke tariff, beating the tariffs available at price comparison sites. However, in the months when we cannot achieve a bespoke tariff, we will recommend the cheapest deal on the market - or the cheapest deal from what we consider a completely safe and stable supplier (it’s an uncertain time right now for some of the smaller suppliers, as you know).

An important point to make is that Milkman Energy’s model is completely no obligation. People who enter a monthly switch pay us nothing; if they do not like the tariff we find for them, they can pull out without any penalty; we do not give any suppliers customer details until the customer has confirmed they want to switch.

If they do choose to switch, we get paid a small flat fee by the supplier, but the customer pays us nothing.

To address a couple of other interesting points raised by people on this forum:

That we are “an affiliate of My Utility Genius”: we use My Utility Genius as a supplier, as do several others. They primarily help run our customer “onboarding”. They’re a good company - but that’s the extent of our relationship with them.

That Milkman Energy is a silly name: yes. Fair cop. It is a silly name.

Thanks. Interested to see any further posts - and if you have any questions direct for us, please email hello@milkmanenergy.com.

Regards,

The Milkman Energy team.
    Okay, why do so many companies do this? Sign off a statement with their company name and no individual, sure, so no one can be held accountable for the words.

P.S. Perhaps Milkman should have proof read their statement a few more times before sending it out, I've noticed several errors in it.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 29th Dec 16, 6:51 AM
    • 864 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    Response to the following:-

Hi everyone

Hi all,

Over the past few months, visitors to Money Saving Expert have written several posts about Milkman Energy. This is very flattering. This is a very “clued-up” forum,

Yes, it is, and as an open forum, we are able to discuss all aspects of energy?

Our aim is to gather large enough volumes of customers each month to encourage suppliers to create bespoke tariffs which are cheaper than available elsewhere. Given that our numbers have been growing month-by-month, we hope that soon every one of our switches will involve a unique and bespoke tariff, beating the tariffs available at price comparison sites.

Which, i would imagine, has been enhanced by the discussion of Milkman Energy on MSE.

However, i don't have responsibility for the comments which other users make.

However, in the months when we cannot achieve a bespoke tariff, we will recommend the cheapest deal on the market - or the cheapest deal from what we consider a completely safe and stable supplier (it’s an uncertain time right now for some of the smaller suppliers, as you know).

Fair do's, your policies have fallen in line with other collective switching companies, at this time.

Regards,

The Milkman Energy team.

Carpe diem
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 7th Jan 17, 6:48 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    Winning tariff from Milkman Energy December 2016

"Energy prices are likely to rise between 10-20% over the next few months. We highly recommend you fix into a new deal now.

The cheapest supplier was Places for People Energy Together - January 2018 - fixed 41 - Paperless."

Carpe diem
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 7th Jan 17, 7:18 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 474 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    But that tariff is just a normal tariff and freely available on PfPE's website . Hardly a collective deal. So Milkman is just a very selective switching site?
    And a bad one as it is number 6 in the fixed tariff list for me and number 13 in the list of fixed or variable (from CAB comparison site).
    Last edited by gsmlnx; 07-01-2017 at 7:19 PM. Reason: add comparison site
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 8th Jan 17, 6:41 AM
    • 864 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    But that tariff is just a normal tariff and freely available on PfPE's website . Hardly a collective deal. So Milkman is just a very selective switching site?
    And a bad one as it is number 6 in the fixed tariff list for me and number 13 in the list of fixed or variable (from CAB comparison site).
    Originally posted by gsmlnx
    Perhaps i should amend "winning tariff" to "winning recommendation?"

Carpe diem
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 8th Jan 17, 2:45 PM
    • 4,311 Posts
    • 1,751 Thanks
    brewerdave
    I registered -but they haven't even bothered emailing me!
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 29th Jan 17, 8:09 AM
    • 864 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    Has anyone managed to register for this months 'collective?'

The website doesn't appear to be accepting registrations.

Thanks

f&w

Carpe diem
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 6th Feb 17, 7:03 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    Although Milkman Energy still appears to be operating as a switching / comparison site, (I'm not going to switch to find out,) they are no longer advertising or accepting registrations for their 'collectives' or 'crowdfunding.'

Perhaps Mr C would be available for comment?

Carpe diem
    • draph91
    • By draph91 10th May 17, 7:54 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    draph91
    any updates, they sent me a follower request on twitter, naturally I never heard of this company before now and refused their request, it struck me as strange for some reason
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

188Posts Today

1,157Users online

Martin's Twitter