Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lego mum
    • By lego mum 19th Sep 16, 5:00 AM
    • 919Posts
    • 7,854Thanks
    lego mum
    What small dfw things will you do this week? Monday 19th Sept
    • 19th Sep 16, 5:00 AM
    What small dfw things will you do this week? Monday 19th Sept 19th Sep 16 at 5:00 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    Following to keep us debt free
Page 4
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 22nd Sep 16, 3:22 PM
    • 3,507 Posts
    • 20,841 Thanks
    allydowd
    Sharing Your Amazon Prime Membership with your Family

You can legitimately share the free delivery option with up to four members of your clan and you can share your Prime Instant Video with up to one person.

Log into your Amazon account. Go to ‘Manage Prime Membership’ and then click ‘Invite a Household Member’.

You can then share you delivery benefits by entering the name, relationship, birthday and email address of the guest along with your birthday (your guest will need to know the month and day of your birthday to accept the invitation). Amazon Student accounts are not allowed to share their accounts.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    Holiday Savings Account of Joy: £2000
    Vouchers for Decemberfest: £20

"
    Everything works out well in the end; if all is not well, it's not the end."
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 22nd Sep 16, 6:12 PM
    • 3,999 Posts
    • 29,659 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    Not a very MSE day today as we had the heatig engineer service the boiler and water softener thingy (long overdue ) and I had a dental hygienist's appointment Turning out to be a very spendy month unfortunately

So, what are the positive bits?
    Walked dog for free exercise
    Had a hurried clean up before heating guy arrived before 8.30 am so at least it is quite tidy in here!
    HM meals from stores
    Picked raspberries, French beans and courgettes
    Watered everything that needed it in the back garden
    Read meters and entered readings on energy provider's web site. We seem to have used lots of electricity this month, and I am struggling to understand why
    Posted 4 ebay sales, and sold 2 more items (so far)
    Listed a few more bits

Might manage a few more things yet, but got 2 books here I want to read

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 22nd Sep 16, 6:36 PM
    • 5,368 Posts
    • 28,217 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning just finishing my 2nd cup of coffee and about to jump in the shower madam has just got up so I had better get a move on. Need to leave for work early today so I can finish at 4.30 and get home so ph can go to football. The sacrifices I make!

small things for today:

* I believe my first payslip is in - the first in 4 months can't wait to get to work and check it!
    * Hope I don't pay tax! I shouldn't do but I might and then will have to contact the tax office and wait until next month to get it back... I was! and it (my pay) was less than I thought it would be
    * all meals from stores
    * lunches already made, I'm largely using up odds and sods of lo's!
    * dinner will be various lo's for the 3 of us Madam was fed at cm's
    * make note of mileage at start & finish of the day - 60 days to form a habit, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight???!
    * have checked banking - no change!
    * list 5 things on fleabay - really must do this tonight, no 1 priority!
    * pick up my travel mug I left at work on Monday
    * tonight I'm going to make some tortilla wraps & I think a red velvet cake mmmmmm

Ok that's all I have to do, nothing earth shattering I'm afraid! But hope to have a NSD. Ok am off now! Have a great day x
    Originally posted by determined new ms
    Please with my efforts today I will finish off the last bits when madam goes to bed...

I also managed to get a free packet of crisps and a cappuccino at work and also (very virtuously ) I was walking to town to buy some hair products in my lunch break and a few minutes into the walk I realised I didn't need to go! I still have shampoo and conditioner and I didn't just have to go and spend money just cos it's my payday! So I turned around and went for a walk in the park instead!
    Debt to Bank of oh Mum: £4200/£5700
    Wombling 2016 £169.39 Roadkill £4.79
    • ab_saver
    • By ab_saver 22nd Sep 16, 7:08 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    ab_saver
    Had NSD today.
    Slow cooker dinner still not done - put it on high so hopefully shan't be too long now.
    Finally connected my jawbone to Bounts - and discovered that my gym isn't one of their recognised places for check ins. Ah well.
    Had a rough day at work and had a little cry but had a walk and something from my snack drawer rather than going to buy anything.
    Still need to clean/tidy and do some sorting for big event on Saturday- a busy evening awaits!
    DFW - aiming to be clear Nov '16__________ NSDs Sept 16 6/7 Oct 16 1/18_____ October supermarket challenge £0/40
    £1000 emergency fund #208 - £5.93/ 1000 _ Next: 10k towards a house deposit by mid 2018!
    • LuckyPenny
    • By LuckyPenny 22nd Sep 16, 7:32 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 2,249 Thanks
    LuckyPenny
    NSD
    - packed lunch done
    - checked MR apps
    - found 5 pence roadkill
    - claimed by work expenses again as they got lost between my boss' office and finance
    That's all for today - hope to do loads tomorrow on my non work day
    LP
    Wins so far Designer Wedding Dress,IPod Nano,£50 Meal Voucher,Family Photoshoot,Trampoline, Earrings, Week in a cottage, A years supply of Kiddilicious, Board Game, £25 Clothes Voucher, 4 Easter Eggs and a £10 coffee shop voucher, £12 cash, Tube scarf, sweets

Pay off all debts by Xmas 2016 #69 £4,218/£9,972 Christmas 2016 Saving #75 £171/£334
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 22nd Sep 16, 8:05 PM
    • 3,232 Posts
    • 13,802 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Evening all,
    Am totally knackered with today's efforts but am checking back as promised before jumping (or staggering) into a hot bubble bath to recover. Wanted a really money saving day. Decided I'd prioritise getting our food supplies in & not wasting everything we've spent months growing & tending.
    *Used surplus home grown tomatoes & courgettes to make courgette curry for the freezer. Really easy, tasty & low calorie recipe.
    *Picked runner beans, sliced & froze. Also mixed with them some blanched sliced carrots which were lurking in the fridge & not likely to be used any time soon. That can be Sunday lunch veg.
    *Picked & froze blackberries.
    *Gathered more windfall apples (a whole bucket full).
    *Picked more red chillies. Froze some to use as fresh & strung the other up for drying.
    *Harvested the rest of our sweetcorn. Prepped them, wrapped & froze. (19 corn-on-the-cobs! We've already eaten 4. First time we've grown them so they'll be on the seed list for next year defo!)
    *Topped up worm composter with all the cornsilks, veggie scraps & removed a jug of free liquid plant food (seemed like a fair exchange) which I gave to the runner beans.
    *Baked bread rolls. Froze half of them for next week.
    *Picked a bunch of grapes.....they've done well this year. Shan't need to buy any fruit for me on our next shop as I shall be busy eating my way through loads of grapes.
    *Did all the ironing. Oh, how boring is ironing? Can't stand it. Sorted it out really well so as to only spend time ironing what really needed it.
    *Cleaned whole house using minimal products & washable cloths.
    *Made tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Turned heel on b-in-l's sock & picked up stitches for knitting the foot. Did this while watching a TV prog on my lunch break, the only time I sat down today (my feet feel like lumps of gristle!)
    *Did meal plans for next week. About £30 left in grocery budget, but lots of food in so will be eating that.
    Ok, that felt like a good day for money saving.......didn't go out, either, so not a penny left my purse. Off for a soak now. Have a bit of gorgeous Clarins bath stuff left which I was given as a birthday gift, so I'm going to enjoy a bit of a soak.
    Goodnight all,
    F xx
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund = 1415-42
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £165
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 23rd Sep 16, 7:25 AM
    • 5,368 Posts
    • 28,217 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning opps need to get a move on! It's pay day today and I have just done all of my transfers and taken longer than I should have done! Feels so good to put some money into savings again rather than just taking it out like I have done over the last 4 months

Things for today:

* all meals from stores
    * make packed lunches
    * quick shower. Tie hair back rather than washing
    * Log mileage at start/finish of day
    * hang out washing
    * water veggies in greenhouse
    * making tortillas tonight - made red velvet muffins last night. My frosting didn't turn out too good but the cakes are lovely! I used almond extract rather than vanilla and used too much so the frosting is too strong
    * as I'm in town for work today I will nip in and get some hair mousse
    * wrap ebay sales to post tomorrow

Think that's it. Happy Friday guys
    Last edited by determined new ms; 23-09-2016 at 8:27 AM.
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 23rd Sep 16, 7:30 AM
    • 2,556 Posts
    • 14,560 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi everyone

Happy Friday!!

OK, I'm going to be honest with you now... I've been too busy crocheting to post

I remembered I needed something for my cousin's baby as I'll be seeing him this weekend so I'm rustling up this https://goo.gl/YGkuTT I'm using self-stripe yarn and the stripes aren't quite where I want them but it'll do - it's really just to have a gift to wrap...

Need to get on and sort YNAB out before I go to work. Might come home at lunch and work from home as have a stinking cold.

Catch up later my lovelies!
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 23rd Sep 16, 8:26 AM
    • 5,368 Posts
    • 28,217 Thanks
    determined new ms
    La e toots cute! What a talented thing you are!

princesspea just logging on to say I hope you feel better today. Get over feeling guilty about not being at work. It's not worth the energy, nothing that you have to do is life or death I am assuming? If it were your manager would certainly put someone else on it. Life is too short and it's for living. Rest and get well x

Jeez this morning has been a stress! Didn't prepare properly last night for today and spent too long doing my accounts Oh in a fowl mood as well! Anyway better go and finish up and get going!
    • lego mum
    • By lego mum 23rd Sep 16, 8:39 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,854 Thanks
    lego mum
    Morning all,
    La E Looks fab

Hi to everyone. I've spent the last couple of days not being very productive and I hid myself away under a fleece blanket and worried. Todays a new day and I need to get a grip. I can't wait for it to be weekend and have family time as I know that will help lift my mood.

I've ditched the gym this morning as I want to get a lot done as ds needs picking up from school early after his trip. If I went to the gym as usual, came back and had breakfast its often 11.30ish before I get on with anything else.

Health & Fitness plans (lose this weight once and for all, no fad diets ever again!)
    Walk at least 7000 steps to get bounts points

Daily jobs
    Ironing – switch off before starting last couple of items
    Check banks/update spreadsheet
    Delete junk from emails
    Clean & tidy fridge (make sure we don’t waste anything)
    Use something out of the food use up box - Not using anything out of there today but I have tidied the box and know exactly what is in there and I will get back to trying to get it used up
    Meals from stores
    Complete daily flylady task
    RM survey

Tidy home = Tidy mind
    Hoover carpets
    Clean the kitchen using minimal products
    Tidy at least one cupboard - I have tidied kitchen cupboards and reorganised them
    Gather together items for the cs

Money making schemes
    Inbox pounds 4 searches
    Swagbucks
    Check Fpl
    Check luckyphone
    Check numberplate lotto
    Check for surveys
    Check Ashleigh money saver daily draw

Freebies/vouchers/offers
    Check tcb/quidco
    Check cos/shopit/clicksnap for any freebies

Extras

Sign off Mr S cc

More to follow
    Last edited by lego mum; 23-09-2016 at 7:17 PM.
    Following to keep us debt free
    • LuckyPenny
    • By LuckyPenny 23rd Sep 16, 8:45 AM
    • 376 Posts
    • 2,249 Thanks
    LuckyPenny
    Hoping to have a good money saving day today.
    - check bank
    - call breakdown and haggle down the cost
    - get the best deals by shopping at Aldi, Home Bargains and Morrisons
    - 7,000 bounts points got to do it today
    - read martins email
    - ipoll
    - check MR apps
    - have a tidy and see if I can post anything on eBay

I'll see what other money saving things I can get to grips with as the day goes on
    Last edited by LuckyPenny; 23-09-2016 at 9:14 PM.
    Wins so far Designer Wedding Dress,IPod Nano,£50 Meal Voucher,Family Photoshoot,Trampoline, Earrings, Week in a cottage, A years supply of Kiddilicious, Board Game, £25 Clothes Voucher, 4 Easter Eggs and a £10 coffee shop voucher, £12 cash, Tube scarf, sweets

Pay off all debts by Xmas 2016 #69 £4,218/£9,972 Christmas 2016 Saving #75 £171/£334
    • nanny beach
    • By nanny beach 23rd Sep 16, 8:54 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    nanny beach
    foxgloves, please be carefull, with your "overnight" laundry, regarding the washing machines,tumble dryers catching fire. I also have economy 7, but without electric heating, (no doubt my 60s bungalow had it pre-central heating) OH gets up at 5 for work, washing machine,tumble dryer,dishwasher goes on then. Tumble dryer only as last resort. I also bake cakes, pies, make jams chutneys then, as my hob and ovens are elctric
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 23rd Sep 16, 9:14 AM
    • 699 Posts
    • 4,988 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone,

It's Friday, thank goodness. My friend couldn't make it last night as he got his days mixed up, so I managed a productive one.

I'm doing much tonight so I don't have an extensive list really. Need to visit a SM on my way home and the GF and I are having a movie night so minimum expenditure.

Have a nice Friday everyone.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    Follow my Debt Free Diary/Save, Save, Save Dairy - "It's not a lot, but it's enough"
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 23rd Sep 16, 9:16 AM
    • 3,999 Posts
    • 29,659 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Up early this morning but feeling a bit directionless, so I thought posting earlyish would help focus my mind!

La E, I am sure your cousin will be delighted with your lovely gift
    Legomum, take care, you are so busy and bubbly usually

So far:
    Turned out all my boxes of stock to find a very small item that sold overnight on ebay - took ages, but at least I located a few other things with watchers, and it looks tidier up there - a bit!
    Finished up the rest of a windfall apple that GD ate half of the other day with my breakfast porridge and yogurt. Also added a few berries from the garden, so it looked quite luxurious but was free, so much more MSE than just having a banana!
    Bagged up more raspberries for the freezer

Still to do:
    Wrap errant ebay item, and take it, with the other 2 sales, plus some RM surveys stuff, to the post office - must be after 12 though for the postal survey and I am not going twice!
    Sort out fridge to make sure nothing is wasted
    Water pots in front garden
    Think about what to do with strawberry plants in hanging baskets. Some of them need replacing, and I have runners pegged down in pots to do this. Might take them out of the baskets and plant them in the big pots recently vacated by the tomatoes while I think about it!
    Pick up a bag of compost this afternoon to redo some of the flower tubs in the front garden. I have pretty little viola plants that have seeded themselves everywhere, so these coud replace some of the summer annuals that are on their last legs
    Washing, and dry on the line
    Descale kettle

Hmm, sounds like a mostly gardening day today - my favourite kind!

• ab_saver
    • By ab_saver 23rd Sep 16, 10:07 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    ab_saver
    Today will be an NSD.
    I will sweep/mop kitchen floor (my capacity to put this off is slightly concerning...)
    I will finish all my sorting for big event tomorrow - will involve lots of stapling
    I need to go through my diary and pencil in gym, park run etc.
    DFW - aiming to be clear Nov '16__________ NSDs Sept 16 6/7 Oct 16 1/18_____ October supermarket challenge £0/40
    £1000 emergency fund #208 - £5.93/ 1000 _ Next: 10k towards a house deposit by mid 2018!
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 23rd Sep 16, 10:52 AM
    • 3,507 Posts
    • 20,841 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi September Super Stars,

Another day off at Dowd Towers.

I seriously need to catchup with a lot of Admin jobs that work-ma-geddon has got in the way of. And I need to spend time with my DW whom I haven't seen for 8 days.

But first we are headed to the local deli for a couple of treats. We have learned the art of "can I just have 6 olives" and "one slice of pastrami, please", rather than a "bucket-load of that". Love supporting local businesses.

Debt Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Two:

* Did RM Surveys.

* Upstairs cleaned with Stardrops and washable cloths.

* Small amount of mould removed with own-brand-Milton tablets.

* DW dyed own hair.

* Print receipts from e-copies in case required when something breaks down.

* Backed up essential files into free cloud.

* Cleared in-tray to ensure I hadn't missed anything valuable.

* Enjoyed a local craft-beer at home instead of going to the pub.

* Turned mattress over to prolong its life.

* Listed postage stamps for sale on eBay.

* Cleared emails in case anything valuable in them.

* Produced an invoice for DW's business. It will bring her £650 profit!

* Checked loyalty points balances.

Live long, live well and prosper.
    Last edited by allydowd; 23-09-2016 at 7:33 PM.

"
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 23rd Sep 16, 2:01 PM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 7,896 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    afternoon

Not posted for a couple of days and late today, work manically busy and next week will be more of the same. However, I've been keeping the DFW faith

checked banking, surveys and FPL
    Used my new contactless card that I get a % of contactless back on where I would have been spending anyway
    meals from stores
    used £co for 2 things I've ordered on line
    invited to a preview evening at a new restaurant - was amazing and food was all half price
    washing drying outside again
    trying (and succeeding) to spend less time on line
    watering tomatoes, see how many more I can get before plant needs to go to plant heaven
    use leftovers for lunch meals at work

think that's all for now, hopefully I'll be able to post more over the weekend
    CC1 paid off April '16. Debt on 0% card deal ends March '18, so DF date is also March '18, because we'll be saving the rest
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 23rd Sep 16, 2:24 PM
    • 3,232 Posts
    • 13,802 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Nanny B - Thanks for your concern. I'm aware of potential fire risks, esp as our washing machine is getting quite old. I don't have a tumble dryer. The timer for my 'overnight' laundry is generally set for around 5am as I start to wake up around then, certainly I'd be alert enough to detect a fire & hear the smoke alarms.Economy 7 is set till 7 or 8am depending on summer or wintertime so plenty of time for a cheap wash.
    F
    Last edited by foxgloves; 23-09-2016 at 6:54 PM.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 23rd Sep 16, 2:33 PM
    • 3,232 Posts
    • 13,802 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Friday Frugalistas,
    Not such a busy day today. In fact I just want to wash a sink of pots then I intend to have an afternoon of leisure. Money saving things today:
    *Turned my bucket of windfall apples into apple chutney & sat & updated my blog while it was bubbling.
    *Tweaked meal plans to include a freezer dive night next week as freezer is utterly rammed to the point where I can barely open the drawers.
    *Write shopping list.
    *Knit Christmas present sock.
    *Try free 'healthy' drink which we got free with O2 Priorities last week. Mr f said his was disgusting, so better luck for mine!
    Cheers,
    F x
    Last edited by foxgloves; 23-09-2016 at 6:55 PM.
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 23rd Sep 16, 7:53 PM
    • 3,507 Posts
    • 20,841 Thanks
    allydowd
    Freebies

* Free coffee sample. (Link)

* Free tea bags. (Link)

Offers

* £5, £10 and £25 off codes for money off Tesco Direct. (Link)
    Last edited by allydowd; 23-09-2016 at 8:32 PM.

"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,424Posts Today

7,938Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: What proportion of your usual monthly spending do you do in cash (ie not plastic, bank transfer, cheque etc)

• RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Follow Martin