Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lego mum
    • By lego mum 19th Sep 16, 5:00 AM
    • 919Posts
    • 7,853Thanks
    lego mum
    What small dfw things will you do this week? Monday 19th Sept
    • 19th Sep 16, 5:00 AM
    What small dfw things will you do this week? Monday 19th Sept 19th Sep 16 at 5:00 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    Following to keep us debt free
Page 3
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 21st Sep 16, 8:25 AM
    • 3,231 Posts
    • 13,795 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Moneysavers & welcome to newbies. Legomum - I always think my lists are repetitive too, but that's because money saving is all about small regular habits. I once read somewhere that you have to do somethibg 27 times for it to become a 'habit' so establishing good daily routines is important.
    OK....today. Well, I have to do some prep for a meeting tonight but aiming to do the following:
    *2 baths from 1 lot of hot water.
    *Wash hair & let it dry naturally.
    *Laundry done overnight on cheap tariff. Will peg it out but yesterday's didn't dry & so I switched the heated airer on overnight.
    *Use some of our homegrown stuff for dinner.....basil & courgettes.
    *Plan a cook up tomorrow to use more courgettes & lots of apples.
    *Make a payment across to CC. We used it for main grocery shop just for maximising points for vouchers but I then pay it off from grocery budget.
    *Update personal finance project I'm doing (recruited via survey site).
    *Take mini muffins out of freezer to eat while watching 'GBBO' tonight instead of calling in to shop to buy chocolate on the way home from my meeting.
    *Cat's wasted dinner chopped up with some new food this morning & he ate it.
    *Knit Christmas present socks.
    *Try to make a start on listing ebay items......or at least photographing & uploading pics, even if I don't finish the listings.
    OK....can feel the caffiene is doing its job. Must crack on,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund = 1408-25
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £165
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 21st Sep 16, 9:06 AM
    • 2,589 Posts
    • 17,222 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning All

Thanks all for your concern and well wishes, I'm fine and I still can't work out what happened, bit achey but fine - life still feels good at the moment. Today's list looks a bit like this:

Packed lunch for DH & DS - Done
    Check Bank - Done
    RM Survey -
    Deliver SIL's Birthday gift -
    Craft -
    Declutter -
    Bump Sale Posts on FB -
    Walk at least 7000 step for Bounts points -
    Continue purge on emails -
    Surveys -
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Lucky Phone, Ashleigh, Numberplatelotto, FPL -

Have a great day!

C x
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Stashbusting Challenge 2016 - 80/52
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 21st Sep 16, 9:09 AM
    • 688 Posts
    • 4,782 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning chums,

Welcome Plsnomorechaos. It's a great habit to tune in here each morning and check you're doing everything you can.

Foxgloves - Funnily enough I was listening to a podcast yesterday in which a Dr referred to a study and said to form a habit it must happen 60 days in a row.

My (repetitive) list for today;
    - Check banks and YNAB
    - Bring lunch to work
    - NSD
    - Have an early night
    - Shop around for cheapest place to buy some games coming out soon

That's all I can actually think of at the moment. I'll no doubt come up with more.
    Barclaycard - £990.84
    Follow my Debt Free Diary - "It's not a lot, but it's enough"
    • ab_saver
    • By ab_saver 21st Sep 16, 9:35 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    ab_saver
    Morning all.

My list for today

- check bank done - £20 owed by mum paid back
    - tidy flat
    -sweep and mop kitchen floor (putting it separately as it's the job I always miss then regret later)
    -bring bin in
    -more laundry on, put away previous load (I will get to bottom of basket eventually!!)
    -go to gym!!!
    -pump up bike tyres
    -not go overboard with dinner out tonight
    -cycle to above to give good reason to avoid expensive alcohol (and get fitter)
    -prep slow cooker curry and leave split peas to soak overnight (and put conspicuous reminder to put it on tomorrow!)
    EDIT: and order birthday gift for OH's sister and send her a card

I think that's all for today... as a bonus if I could figure out how to get my jawbone to talk to bounts that'd be good - it says they are connected but I haven't earned any points
    Last edited by ab_saver; 21-09-2016 at 9:38 AM.
    DFW - aiming to be clear Nov '16__________ NSDs Sept 16 6/7 Oct 16 _ /18_____ October supermarket challenge £0/40
    £1000 emergency fund #208 - £5.93/ 1000 _ Next: 10k towards a house deposit by mid 2018!
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 21st Sep 16, 9:36 AM
    • 5,367 Posts
    • 28,209 Thanks
    determined new ms

Foxgloves - Funnily enough I was listening to a podcast yesterday in which a Dr referred to a study and said to form a habit it must happen 60 days in a row.
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    I think with living frugally it can take years! It now is second nature to me to be as frugal as possible and make the most out of our resources but it has been years in the making!
    Debt to Bank of oh Mum: £4200/£5700
    Wombling 2016 £169.39 Roadkill £4.79
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 21st Sep 16, 10:47 AM
    • 3,231 Posts
    • 13,795 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Well, that's budgets updated. All looks in order. Various funds switched around to keep budgets straight. Grocery budget looks a bit tight for final shop this weekend, but it's doable, so decided to skim current account & move £31 to the Car Loan Pay-Down Fund.
    Am now feeling as though there is more blood in my veins than caffiene, so off to brew a cafetiere, than back up to my HQ to start the ebay pile.
    It's amazing how much more at peace I feel once a bit pile of receipts, little notes I've written to myself, etc, are fed into updating my monthly budget. I used to be so appalling at managing money (in fact, my system was NOT to manage it, as it kind of got in the way of spending it!) but I now like to know exactly where we are at any time of the month, esp when it is getting nearer to pay day.
    Take care all,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • lego mum
    • By lego mum 21st Sep 16, 12:22 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,853 Thanks
    lego mum
    Foxgloves, I think you're right about forming these good habits The little things do add up certainly.

One of my ds's is now on a school trip and not back until Friday, the house is going to feel very strange without that little chatterbox tonight!

My parents came over whilst I was waving ds off at the school gates, so when I got home there was a cooked breakfast (that they'd brought all the ingredients for with them) on the table, good job I didn't go to costalots for a coffee & walk around the shops after all!
    Following to keep us debt free
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 21st Sep 16, 1:37 PM
    • 3,507 Posts
    • 20,841 Thanks
    allydowd
    Free £5?

Sign in to your PayPal account and there should be a message to say that you’ve got a free £5 voucher, if you’re one of the lucky ones.

If it doesn’t automatically pop up on the screen click the notifications button on the top right hand side of the site (it looks like a bell).

You then need to ‘save the offer’ and visit the site of your choice and pay for the item using PayPal.

The discount will be applied automatically at the checkout but you must buy it from a UK retailer.

You can view the saved offer in your PayPal Wallet, although be aware that the offer is not visible in the PayPal app.
    Last edited by allydowd; 21-09-2016 at 1:48 PM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    Holiday Savings Account of Joy: £2000
    Vouchers for Decemberfest: £20

"
    Everything works out well in the end; if all is not well, it's not the end."
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 21st Sep 16, 8:04 PM
    • 3,997 Posts
    • 29,648 Thanks
    DawnW
    I've only managed the smallest of dents in my freezers too DNMS - and I need somehow to find space for 4 tubs of ratatouille

Had GD today, and am exhausted. We have great fun, but I have discovered that nature is very sensible in preventing (by and large) 60 year old ladies from having babies Among other things, we played in the park, 'planted' prepared hyacinths in their water filled vases (filling up all the vases very precisely using the plastic rabbit watering can ) and built stables for a plastic cow and a diplodocus using lego

Apart from that, very little done:
    Online shopping arrived
    Sold 3 items on ebay, found and packed 2 so far
    Reassured an ebay lady who was very worried that she had mistakenly bid hundreds of pounds for a couple of old cracked cups and saucers
    Watered a few pots in the garden

And that is it! Must do better tomorrow

• LuckyPenny
    • By LuckyPenny 21st Sep 16, 10:18 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 2,244 Thanks
    LuckyPenny
    Well done Ally for not spending in the canteen for almost 3 months. I had a rubbish day today, have infected eczema in both ears and didn't sleep properly- grr.
    - couldn't be bothered to make packed lunch but bought a salad from asda with a price guarantee voucher.
    - my DD won a pizza express colouring competition/ I think it's a ice age goodie bag but we'll have to wait and see what the postman brings!
    - postcode lottery
    - didn't buy tissues for work as they were extortionately priced - will go to home bargains on Friday!
    - checked eBay and MR apps

Think that's it for now...trying to catch up on some zzzz
    Wins so far Designer Wedding Dress,IPod Nano,£50 Meal Voucher,Family Photoshoot,Trampoline, Earrings, Week in a cottage, A years supply of Kiddilicious, Board Game, £25 Clothes Voucher, 4 Easter Eggs and a £10 coffee shop voucher, £12 cash, Tube scarf, sweets

Pay off all debts by Xmas 2016 #69 £4,218/£9,972 Christmas 2016 Saving #75 £171/£334
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 22nd Sep 16, 6:19 AM
    • 3,507 Posts
    • 20,841 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi September Super Stars,

So. I'm back. After 13 weeks of huge professional challenges and working crazy hours I have three days off and a fixed shift pattern.

Debt Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Two:

* Do RM Surveys.

* Reconcile Finances Spreadsheet.

* Add to this list when I've had some sleep.

* Kick DW out of bed in a couple of hours to go to work.

Live long, live well and prosper.
    Last edited by allydowd; 22-09-2016 at 6:25 AM.

"
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 22nd Sep 16, 6:56 AM
    • 5,367 Posts
    • 28,209 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning just finishing my 2nd cup of coffee and about to jump in the shower madam has just got up so I had better get a move on. Need to leave for work early today so I can finish at 4.30 and get home so ph can go to football. The sacrifices I make!

small things for today:

* I believe my first payslip is in - the first in 4 months can't wait to get to work and check it!
    * Hope I don't pay tax! I shouldn't do but I might and then will have to contact the tax office and wait until next month to get it back... I was! and it (my pay) was less than I thought it would be
    * all meals from stores
    * lunches already made, I'm largely using up odds and sods of lo's!
    * dinner will be various lo's for the 3 of us Madam was fed at cm's
    * make note of mileage at start & finish of the day - 60 days to form a habit, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight???!
    * have checked banking - no change!
    * list 5 things on fleabay - really must do this tonight, no 1 priority!
    * pick up my travel mug I left at work on Monday
    * tonight I'm going to make some tortilla wraps & I think a red velvet cake mmmmmm

Ok that's all I have to do, nothing earth shattering I'm afraid! But hope to have a NSD. Ok am off now! Have a great day x
    Last edited by determined new ms; 22-09-2016 at 6:33 PM.
    Debt to Bank of oh Mum: £4200/£5700
    Wombling 2016 £169.39 Roadkill £4.79
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 22nd Sep 16, 7:57 AM
    • 2,589 Posts
    • 17,222 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning All

Today's list looks a bit like this:

Packed lunch for DH & DS - Done
    Check Bank - Done
    RM Survey - Done
    Craft (5 orders to be completed) - Done
    Declutter -
    Bump Sale Posts on FB - Done
    Walk at least 7000 step for Bounts points -
    DS to footie training -
    Continue purge on emails -
    Surveys -
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Lucky Phone, Ashleigh, Numberplatelotto, FPL -

Have a great day!

C x
    Last edited by ziggy2407; 22-09-2016 at 6:22 PM.
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Stashbusting Challenge 2016 - 80/52
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 22nd Sep 16, 8:02 AM
    • 2,064 Posts
    • 9,180 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Just popping in to let you know that I haven't abandoned ship and deserted this thread. Last week and this week have just been extremely busy.

Currently we are away for a few days on a field trip to tie in with the children's current topic. We have planned this trip to keep the costs low and the education and enjoyment high.

I'll do my best to post properly at the weekend once we are home, already that is looking extremely busy, so I might not make it to next week.

I am finding the link at the end of the previous thread, directing us to the new thread really useful.

Sorry I haven't had time to read how you all are. Love and hugs to everyone, I am missing you guys so much.
    • ab_saver
    • By ab_saver 22nd Sep 16, 8:22 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    ab_saver
    After yesterday's excesses, my list now stands at:

-put slow cooker on - done
    -check bank - done
    -tidy flat when home
    -get more than 5.5 hours sleep tonight!
    - oh, and have an NSD
    Last edited by ab_saver; 22-09-2016 at 8:38 AM.
    DFW - aiming to be clear Nov '16__________ NSDs Sept 16 6/7 Oct 16 _ /18_____ October supermarket challenge £0/40
    £1000 emergency fund #208 - £5.93/ 1000 _ Next: 10k towards a house deposit by mid 2018!
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 22nd Sep 16, 8:26 AM
    • 3,231 Posts
    • 13,795 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning all,
    Just checking in to say that I haven't yet decided what things to prioritise today but am intending to have a stonking money saving day. Will check back later to let you know how I got on. I think skimming that £31 to the Loan Paydown fund this week & getting all my ebay pile listed yesterday has really motivated me to crank my efforts up a notch or two. So back later, Thursday penny savers.
    F x
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 22nd Sep 16, 9:25 AM
    • 688 Posts
    • 4,782 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone,

I managed everything on my list from yesterday, so let's hope for the same again today;

- Check banks and YNAB
    - Bring lunch to work
    - Have breakfast before leaving for work
    - Exercise
    - Aim for a low spend day
    - Make lunch for tomorrow

That's all I can think of for now. Planning for a super duper productive weekend. Got a list the length of my arm. Bring it on.
    Barclaycard - £990.84
    Follow my Debt Free Diary - "It's not a lot, but it's enough"
    • Plsnomorechaos
    • By Plsnomorechaos 22nd Sep 16, 9:34 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Plsnomorechaos
    Good morning everyone, hope you are all ok.

So I had a non achieving day yesterday and feel very embarrassed and down by it. It started off fantastic, had to spend money but got some good Christmas presents that I cantick off my list when I make one! then after that it all went to pots. I've woken up today in an extremely strange mood... I checked online banking and it's just made me stop and think... I seriously do not want to continue how I am! So

Today:

- limit the coffees to 2 (I normally have 2 caf then about 6-8 decaf... that's a lot of milk!!)
    - just because I'm limiting the coffees I can't go and buy any fizzy drinks from the shop (yes I drink lots of fizzy too)
    - drink good old tap water which I pay for every month (normally I would opt for bottle water)
    - stop being a drinks snob!!!
    - post a couple of eBay sales
    - list a couple of items on eBay
    - ironing must do ironing
    - exchange old phone on mazuma for Argos vouchers
    - exchange an item at B&Q
    - meals from stores

Have a lovely frugal day!
    • princess_pea
    • By princess_pea 22nd Sep 16, 11:09 AM
    • 317 Posts
    • 2,517 Thanks
    princess_pea
    Hi everyone,

Was off work yesterday with the mother of all colds and have been sick this morning so still off work feeling sorry for myself. It just makes me anxious as I have lots to do and get no cover when I'm off! Feeling dizzy and generally 'off'

LSD as DH went to get essential food shopping this morning. Should last until pay day next Wednesday

My bank sent me a new debit card as I've changed my surname and they've sent me a 'premier' one instead of a bog-standard one I have repeatedly tried to call them but can't get through (this is ironically the 'world's local bank'). Have given up as my account is still a standard bank account online so have signed the card and activated it. Can spend the next 3 years pretending to have pots of money!

Need to finish writing wedding thank you cards and post them out. I think we're two stamps short so will ask hubby to get a couple from the post office later

Fill in paperwork to open a Help to Buy ISA

No other spends this week

Catch up with my PGCAP course as I missed the two day teaching block when we were on honeymoon. Thankfully the sessions have been recorded and are available online

Try to convalesce!
    DFD 7/3/2016
    Married 3/9/2016
    Mortgage Deposit £3000
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 22nd Sep 16, 2:44 PM
    • 3,507 Posts
    • 20,841 Thanks
    allydowd
    News, Freebies and Offers

Get a 5% reward for shopping at the Co-op. They have a new loyalty scheme. (Link)

How to sometimes get free Amazon delivery. (Link)

500 free Tesco Clubcard points with PayQwiq App. (Link)

New food sharing App. Like Freecycle...for food. (Link)

How to claim forgotten Tesco Clubcard vouchers. (Link)

Read this if you have debt on an MBNA credit card. They are moving their direct debit payment date so that you will owe more interest for one month. (Link)

10% off Morrisons shopping for students with an NUS Extra card. (Link)
    Last edited by allydowd; 22-09-2016 at 3:09 PM.

"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,660Posts Today

8,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: If a cheap clothing store admitted under 12s in foreign factories made their clothes would it stop you buying?

• RT @toes_pointy: @MoneySavingExp @MartinSLewis Feeling smug. Used MSE sky code to change bband provider, saved £150 & got £50 free credit.?

• MSE weekly email: Ending - Brit Gas £300/yr off & free £30M&S, Vax 75%off, £15off Tesco Wine, £64/yr bband, £8 duvet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Follow Martin