Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stepfly
    • By Stepfly 18th Sep 16, 2:06 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 8Thanks
    Stepfly
    PARKING TICKET: I've been a fool. Any advice?
    • 18th Sep 16, 2:06 PM
    PARKING TICKET: I've been a fool. Any advice? 18th Sep 16 at 2:06 PM
    First off, this is my own damn fault, which makes this all the more aggravating (I do appreciate a lot of the discussion on these boards applies to people being unfairly targeted rather than victims of their own stupidity)

Anyway, I live in an apartment block with an underground car park. In the last twelve months or so the building owners (an impersonal, non-local megacorp) have mandated the use of parking permits.

Ok, fair enough. As a resident I have a permit BUT although I drive I don't own a car, so only use the permit very infrequently when a friend wants to stay, or I have borrowed a vehicle for a specific purpose. I don't think I've needed it for about 6 weeks.

I've had a very rough summer, and a particular bad last week so a friend came round to cheer me up (we went out for a drink...)

He arrived early, surprising me (you can probably guess what's coming). I let him in... and forgot to display the damn permit.

We get back to the car and my friend has been stung with a £100 ticket (£60 if paid before the end of the week). I'm absolutely gutted (on top of my previous lows). Never been caught out like this before, and it was just a moment's forgetfulness we can all suffer.

I was in the process of composing a begging appeal letter, explaining I was a resident, my current state of mind etc, but a cursory glance at other stories here suggests that given it's UKCPS LTD I might as well just save the postage as bother with that.

Glancing at the pages and pages of people's extended battles with these private companies my heart falls. It's my mate's car, yet I'm at fault... But neither of us are in the financial position to just swallow the ticket without substantial pain (plus, I *do* have a permit, which rankles me deeply, even though I'm the twit here)

Is there any (sensible) way to push against this, or is it just a (very costly) lesson not to be depressed and forgetful in future?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to comment.
Page 2
    • Stepfly
    • By Stepfly 22nd Sep 16, 3:32 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Stepfly
    Can anyone confirm whether - since the UKCPS appeal window is 21 days rather than 28 - it is better to send the intial form letter from the Newbies post earlier than the 3 weeks advised there? Thanks.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 22nd Sep 16, 5:15 PM
    • 38,274 Posts
    • 49,756 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I'd send it around day 17 by post and keep proof of posting (free from the PO Counter, NEVER Recorded).

Those signs are the usual terrible small print. Not even the word 'attention' tells you what it's about - could easily be a warning about thieves and not leaving valuables in your car, to any right-thinking person seeing it. And you wouldn't have cause to read that.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 22-09-2016 at 5:17 PM.
    PCN in a private car park in England/Wales? DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

USE THE 'FORUM JUMP' ON RIGHT, GO TO THE PARKING TICKETS FORUM. READ THE 'NEWBIES' THREAD.
    Do NOT read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Stepfly
    • By Stepfly 23rd Sep 16, 12:24 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Stepfly
    Thanks, Coupon-mad. 17 days takes us to next Friday, so I may advise my friend to post on the Thurs, just so we don't get into any non-working weekend days nonsense.

I've also now sent a letter of complaint to the Building Managers using the language Half_Way recommended. I'll update when we hear more. Cheers.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 23rd Sep 16, 1:16 PM
    • 38,274 Posts
    • 49,756 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Make sure the friend knows NOT to pop it in a postbox nor to use Recorded Delivery. Just 1st class with a free certificate of posting (receipt) from a PO Counter clerk. Keep it stapled to a printed copy of the exact letter sent, in his/her file of letters.
    PCN in a private car park in England/Wales? DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

USE THE 'FORUM JUMP' ON RIGHT, GO TO THE PARKING TICKETS FORUM. READ THE 'NEWBIES' THREAD.
    Do NOT read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,937Posts Today

7,273Users online

Martin's Twitter