Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    • 1,582Posts
    • 9,426Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Paid off the 31,000! BUT - still scrimping!
    • 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    Paid off the 31,000! BUT - still scrimping! 18th Sep 16 at 1:27 PM
    Heres to my new shiny diary now that I am debt free!

I have finished my previous diary which detailed my debt free journey. This went well for some months I then failed dismally, managed to pull myself together to pay off half then had a lucky windfall which cleared the rest. If you want to have a look its called Scrimping Behind the Scenes with Debt of 31,000! (sorry, I cant manage to get the link to work!).

In the diary I detailed how I was trying to pay off the debt without alerting the fact to family and friends as I was too embarrassed to let anyone know the extent of my folly!

I have however decided to carry on scrimping as I have a few retirement issues coming up. One of the things that will make scrimping easier is that I dont have to do this in secret anymore! My reasons for cutting back financially will be out there for friends and family to see which will let some of the pressure off!

I am now in my early sixties but my State pension will not kick in for another four and a half years. I will not be getting the full whack as I have had contracted out of the second State pension because I was a member of a previous employers final salary scheme. Luckily this pension will take a little of the headache away and I have a couple of small DCB schemes from other employment over the years though these will not amount to much. I am in my current employers company scheme and both they and I pay into this though again its not going to be life changing!

I calculate that I when I retire my income will be slashed by well over half so to carry scrimping would be a good run up to retirement test for me.

A big worry is that the firm I work for was recently bought out. I have been through this sort of thing with previous employers. What tends to happen is this:

1. Big lovey-dovey honeymoon period between new owners and old owners (who have been paid out, but stay on for goodwill).

2. New owners and old owners start to fall out over the management of the company. The new owners want to run the company their way and old owners think they know better.

3. Bad feeling hits all round and new owners start to have a people clear out.

Im rather apprehensive about the possibility of a people clear out because of my age. I think I will be ok as long as my boss is there but unfortunately he is older than me!

Accordingly, my next scrimpy goal is to fully fund my Emergency Fund. It currently stands at 3,000- but I would like to see it at 10,000 to feel safe. If I can fund it with 1,000 per month (like I did with my debt), I will have 10,000 by end April next year.

So today is going to be a NSD. I have 26.90 left spending money and 18.33 in the grocery budget till I get paid next Friday.

So here we go again interesting times!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- 10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My diary: Paid off the 31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!
Page 33
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 3rd Feb 18, 8:25 PM
    • 3,393 Posts
    • 21,430 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I think cake freezing is the way forward here to avoid temptation . Glad you enjoyed the retirement do after all, it's always worth making yourself go to things.

How annoying those pensions people are, I do dislike those automated emails .
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    Emergency Fund 1 = 818/Emergency Fund 2 = 0/Loss of Income Fund 0
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 3rd Feb 18, 8:28 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 9,426 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Im going to cut it up and freeze it redo and Hairy! You know it makes sense........

Re pension - the other worrying thing is that these cowboys administer my final salary scheme.........

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 3rd Feb 18, 9:06 PM
    • 3,393 Posts
    • 21,430 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Im going to cut it up and freeze it redo and Hairy! You know it makes sense........

Re pension - the other worrying thing is that these cowboys administer my final salary scheme.........
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 4th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    • 2,227 Posts
    • 6,835 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi SSG, glad you had a lovely evening.

My sis sent me home last night with a slab of b'day cake and OH doesn't really eat sweet stuff....I think I will freeze it as I would hate to waste it.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 5th Feb 18, 7:51 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 9,426 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    A slice at a time Munchin......

Today I was off work as the immersion heater in my water tank failed yesterday and I had no hot water! Luckily the plumber I use was able to come out lunch time between jobs today and fit a new element. So 50 paid out!

And I received an profuse apology and a corrected pension state from the cowboys this morning. One day later than I wanted but as Im feeling generous Im letting them off with the official complaint! If anything like this happens again though Ill be shooting it off straight away.

Another annoyance - I received a business related council tax statement this morning from our local council for nearly 800! Again my address but to someone else. This happened last year when I received a letter from them querying my single occupancy discount as they had reason to believe someone else was living here! I sorted it out with them - they gave me the persons name but Id never heard of him! Hes on this latest statement though. I rang the council up today and again they apologised and said all reference to him should have been removed when I contacted them last year. However they did follow the call up today with an email confirming that they shouldnt have sent the statement out in the first place so at least theyre quicker on the ball than the pension cowboys!

Rest of the week should be quiet until Saturday. DD is coming down then and Im meeting her for early lunch uptown then were off to see the new Charles I arts exhibition at the RA.

Have to also check cinema tomorrow to see if theres anything well want to see on Sunday. My friend and I couldnt see anything we liked yesterday so didnt go.

Put half a pound on today so really got to start knuckling down till Saturday- 5:2 day tomorrow!

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 5th Feb 18, 7:58 PM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 6,847 Thanks
    redofromstart
    The CT thing is annoying - its having to ring again that makes me really cross.

Sponge/buttercream will freeze, it just wont be as 'perfect' when it comes out but will still be lovely.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 5th Feb 18, 8:01 PM
    • 3,393 Posts
    • 21,430 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Why can't people just do their jobs properly . At least it's sorted now.

A shame you couldn't find anything you liked at the pictures, but hopefully you can go next week.

I'm having trouble shifting weight too .
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 5th Feb 18, 8:11 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 9,426 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    The CT thing is annoying - its having to ring again that makes me really cross.

Sponge/buttercream will freeze, it just wont be as 'perfect' when it comes out but will still be lovely.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Thats good to know redo - thanks. Ill try and hold off unfreezing some of it til DD arrives.......

Why can't people just do their jobs properly . At least it's sorted now.

A shame you couldn't find anything you liked at the pictures, but hopefully you can go next week.

I'm having trouble shifting weight too .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    I know - the weight thing is very boring, especially this time of year as all I want to do is eat nice comforting things like the cake mentioned above.......

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 5th Feb 18, 8:18 PM
    • 3,393 Posts
    • 21,430 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I know, cold weather and stress are making me want to comfort eat but I'm trying to resist
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 7th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 7,859 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    SSG , thank you for get well wishes.

Your cake is making me hungry , hospital food is not the best .

Glad the hot water is sorted , it!!!8217;s a bit cold to be washing in freezing water.

It would be great if they just forget to send you your council tax bill, I think not. Hopefully it is sorted now.

Love hearing about the cowboy pension administrators .
    Jan 2018 CC1 3099 CC2 220

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 9th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 9,426 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Thanks Cumbria glad to read on your diary that you are a lot better and out of hospital. At least you won't have to stomach the awful hospital food anymore! I jumped into the shower as soon as the water heated up strip down wash reminded me of being five years old!

Finally updated diary have felt rather washed out this week so together with one late-ish night at work and one night when trains were playing up and I was late home, I have just been having dinner and then going straight to bed!

Not been a very scrimpy week because:-

Tuesday
    I was browsing in M&S and saw two tops that they were actually in my size! So I bought them I find I have to buy clothes in M&S in my size when I see them otherwise they're not there when I go back and they all seem to disappear fast online. So 39.50, but the Clothes budget covered it this month and there's nothing else clothes-wise I have to buy apart from the underwear I'm going to get with my M&S vouchers. Also bought fish and chips on way home from work as I was so late in with the train problem!

Wednesday
    Ordered my side table for the living room from Dwell today finally found one high enough, big enough and that also had the marble top that I wanted so this has come out of the money that would have been put towards the kitchen this month. Also bought birthday cards for this month.

Thursday
    And also ordered my fridge/freezer to replace decrepit one that is taking on a life of its own when it comes to keeping cold! Got a bit of a result as it was originally 449 but down to 349 on website. I have also paid 15 to have old ancient version towed away to scrapyard in the sky. But I had the rest of my JL vouchers that I received as Christmas pressies and so I have only ended up paying 219! But it's had to come out kitchen money and so I am now a bit overspent in this category and will have to replace next month.

40 paid out today as well in House of Fraser voucher for a bestie's birthday present (out of budgeted gits).

Today
    Amazon e-voucher bought today for DD's stepson - 30(again budgeted for.

Finally finished my work performance appraisal for the past year and this has been agreed with boss and whooshed off to HR.

Still labouring over the pension forms!

Tonight DD is staying at mine instead of coming down to London tomorrow. We have early lunch and the exhibition. Also can't see anything at the pictures to go and see on Sunday only the new 50 Shades and I won't be bothering with that!

Have a good day everyone and will catch up with diaries later.

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 9th Feb 18, 8:19 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 7,859 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Have a lovely weekend with DD . I must say I do love Dwell , have a couple of things from there myself .
    Jan 2018 CC1 3099 CC2 220

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 9th Feb 18, 8:20 PM
    • 3,393 Posts
    • 21,430 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    That's great that you have two new tops, a new side table and new fridge freezer .

You didn't go into debt to pay for them which is great. I do agree also that sometimes you have to buy clothes when you see them in your size or you will be full of regrets later.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 9th Feb 18, 9:10 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 9,426 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Have a lovely weekend with DD . I must say I do love Dwell , have a couple of things from there myself .
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Yes Im very fond of Dwell. I have a very boring 1980s boxy flat so a modern streamlined look is the way to go here and Dwell often hits the mark. I already have a long TV unit with lots of nice streamlined drawers so my DVDs stay out of sight and a matching bookcase - both from Dwell. Ive had some nice cushions from there as well.

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 9th Feb 18, 9:11 PM
    • 5,226 Posts
    • 33,172 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Good to make purchases that have been accounted for I think if you see something you like that fits well and you feel happy in then it's a good purchase.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 153.08
    Jan NSDs 4 Feb AFDs 1
    Weight loss 4/10LBS Emergency Fund 2000/10,000
    April holiday 0/900
    Dining room fund 150
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 9th Feb 18, 9:13 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 9,426 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    That's great that you have two new tops, a new side table and new fridge freezer .

You didn't go into debt to pay for them which is great. I do agree also that sometimes you have to buy clothes when you see them in your size or you will be full of regrets later.
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks Hairy. It is nice to think theyve been bought with actual funds that I already have and vouchers rather than bunged straight on the ccs and not paid for as I used to do!

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 9th Feb 18, 9:15 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 9,426 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Good to make purchases that have been accounted for I think if you see something you like that fits well and you feel happy in then it's a good purchase.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Hi SA. Yes I havent actually bought any new tops for a while and these will be suitable for both work and going out so Im pleased.

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 11th Feb 18, 11:30 AM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 9,426 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Had a really lovely time with DD yesterday. Got up to the West End and she treated me to a delicious lunch at a rather good fish restaurant. Then went to the Charles I Exhibition which was so interesting. All this wonderful artwork gathered in from all over the world - it was breathtaking.

Afterwards we did a bit of shopping - or rather DD did most of it! I bought an historical book by Lucy Worsley - 11.99 - in Hatchards bookshop - one of my most favourite shops! We ended up in one of our most beloved independent coffee shops - I bought the flat whites as she bought the lunch - its always a tussle when Im out with her her as she doesnt want to let me pay for anything! Anyway we ended the trip sitting in the coffee shop with our excellent coffees resting our feet listening to Sade - bliss!

Got home and watched The Devil Wears Prada for the umpteenth time and then the The Limehouse Golem which was rather quirky in the Sherlock Holmes/Jack the Ripper vein!

Today Im off to Pilates later. DD will be away soon as well to catch her train home. Will have to pick up some food bits though Im really trying to eat down the freezer as the new one will be arriving on Tuesday week.

Have a lovely Sunday everyone. Very bright and clear here at Seasideville today.

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 11th Feb 18, 8:02 PM
    • 7,204 Posts
    • 35,129 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    What a lush weekend Really pleased for you SSG - have a great week next xx
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 60 items before 28.02.18 xx/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for Feb xx/10 **AFDs xx/15 ** Sales Target 2018 xx/500 NSDs Target 10 for Winter xx/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Feb 18, 9:35 PM
    • 5,226 Posts
    • 33,172 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    You've got a lovely DD there Sounds like you had a fab weekend

Pleased to say I might be doing Pilates soon, always wanted to try it, we might have someone to do a class at work every week.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 153.08
    Jan NSDs 4 Feb AFDs 1
    Weight loss 4/10LBS Emergency Fund 2000/10,000
    April holiday 0/900
    Dining room fund 150
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,275Posts Today

7,300Users online

Martin's Twitter