Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    • 1,413Posts
    • 8,174Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping!
    • 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping! 18th Sep 16 at 1:27 PM
    Hereís to my new shiny diary now that I am debt free!

I have finished my previous diary which detailed my debt free journey. This went well for some months Ė I then failed dismally, managed to pull myself together to pay off half then had a lucky windfall which cleared the rest. If you want to have a look itís called ďScrimping Behind the Scenes Ė with Debt of £31,000!Ē (sorry, I canít manage to get the link to work!).

In the diary I detailed how I was trying to pay off the debt without alerting the fact to family and friends as I was too embarrassed to let anyone know the extent of my folly!

I have however decided to carry on scrimping as I have a few retirement issues coming up. One of the things that will make scrimping easier is that I donít have to do this in secret anymore! My reasons for cutting back financially will be out there for friends and family to see Ė which will let some of the pressure off!

I am now in my early sixties but my State pension will not kick in for another four and a half years. I will not be getting the full whack as I have had contracted out of the second State pension because I was a member of a previous employerís final salary scheme. Luckily this pension will take a little of the headache away and I have a couple of small DCB schemes from other employment over the years though these will not amount to much. I am in my current employerís company scheme and both they and I pay into this Ė though again itís not going to be life changing!

I calculate that I when I retire my income will be slashed by well over half so to carry scrimping would be a good run up to retirement test for me.

A big worry is that the firm I work for was recently bought out. I have been through this sort of thing with previous employers. What tends to happen is this:

1. Big lovey-dovey honeymoon period between new owners and old owners (who have been paid out, but stay on for goodwill).

2. New owners and old owners start to fall out over the management of the company. The new owners want to run the company their way and old owners think they know better.

3. Bad feeling hits all round and new owners start to have a ďpeopleĒ clear out.Ē

Iím rather apprehensive about the possibility of a people clear out because of my age. I think I will be ok as long as my boss is there but unfortunately he is older than me!

Accordingly, my next scrimpy goal is to fully fund my ďEmergency Fund.Ē It currently stands at £3,000- but I would like to see it at £10,000 to feel safe. If I can fund it with £1,000 per month (like I did with my debt), I will have £10,000 by end April next year.

So today is going to be a NSD. I have £26.90 left spending money and £18.33 in the grocery budget till I get paid next Friday.

So here we go again Ė interesting times!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    Surveys: PA: £15.78/£20; One Poll: £15.40/£40: Opinium: £10.50/£25; Panelbase: £5/£10; You Gov: 1625/5000 points (£50)
Page 30
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Jan 18, 7:19 PM
    • 1,413 Posts
    • 8,174 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I think that you are just tired and busy SSG. These dark mornings and cold temperatures don't help.

Try and do something relaxing at the weekend ( although eating fish will be good for you ). Are you still doing Pilates.? That is very calming. I've often thought that Tai Chi would make me feel relaxed .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Iíve got my Pilates session tomorrow so thatís one good thing. Tai Chi also has a good rep. I was watching a programme the other night where a group of older pensioners took a weekly class. They absolutely swore by it for relaxation and feeling more flexible.

Surveys: PA: £15.78/£20; One Poll: £15.40/£40: Opinium: £10.50/£25; Panelbase: £5/£10; You Gov: 1625/5000 points (£50)
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Jan 18, 7:30 PM
    • 2,850 Posts
    • 16,548 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I need to look out for a Tai Chi dvd in the charity shop . Have a lovely evening.
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £110.76/Loss of Income Fund £0
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    • 1,413 Posts
    • 8,174 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I need to look out for a Tai Chi dvd in the charity shop . Have a lovely evening.
    Good idea!

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Jan 18, 9:30 PM
    • 4,973 Posts
    • 30,882 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    An ex colleague who retired a few years ago does Tai Chi and loves it. Maybe worth a try? I've also got a retired friend who goes swimming 3-4 times a week and is totally rejuvenated plus has gone from a size 18 to a 10. Personally I don't swim, but if you do, maybe that would be good for you.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £94.62
    Jan NSDs 4 Jan AFDs 6
    Weight loss 3/10LBS Emergency Fund £1685.31/£10,000
    April holiday £803.90/£803.90
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Jan 18, 9:38 PM
    • 1,413 Posts
    • 8,174 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Iím afraid I swim like the proverbial stone SA. Although I was sporty as I child I hated swimming and used to get my mum to write sick notes for me so I didnít have to go with the school! Iíve always meant to have lessons to improve but never got round to it. And thereís no pool near to where I live within walking distance. I do have the sea nearby I suppose but thatís too cold!. But itís going to be another thing put on the to do list for when I retire.

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 14th Jan 18, 11:06 AM
    • 1,413 Posts
    • 8,174 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Early post today as Iím out late afternoon to the cinema to see ĎDarkest Hourí with my friend, which Iím really looking forward to.

Iíve been to Iceland this morning and bought the frozen cauli rice packets. I also bought some cauli rice and greens packets as well. Havenít been to Iceland for what seems like years so was pleasantly surprised by what they are seling now and how cheap it is.

Iíve also got my Pilates session later on early afternoon.

One of the items on my to do list for 2018 was to sort out my pensions and, which in true Seasidegal procrastinating fashion, I not done anything about yet. I received my annual statement yesterday for my workplace pension so this has prompted me to sort out the contact deatails of my other two smaller DCB schemes and Iím going to call them tomorrow to arrange transfer to my workplace scheme so everything is in one place.

I also have a very small AVC scheme which I took out years ago to run in tandem with my final salary scheme. Itís only worth around the £11,000 mark but I thought I might as well transfer this as well. I can however withdraw up to 25% in tax free cash so I think I will do this from the AVC and put c.£2,500 towards my kitchen fund.

Have a great Sunday everyone - the sun seems to be finally making an appearance this morning at last!

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Jan 18, 1:38 PM
    • 2,850 Posts
    • 16,548 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Enjoy Darkest Hour SSG, I'm sure you will .
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 14th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    • 4,973 Posts
    • 30,882 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    It will be interesting to see what you think about the greens rice SSG, not too sure about it myself. It's ok but I prefer the cauli rice. Iceland have really upped their game recently. Enjoy the film xx
    Jan NSDs 4 Jan AFDs 6
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 14th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 5,932 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    SSG I read your old diary , I think you did the right thing paying everything off with your money. I was going to ask if you had any pension arrangements, and you had read my mind . They sound really good and it’s good that you have it. My big elephant is that I will still need to pay rent , that is what I want to save for. I can’t rely on inheritance it could all be used up so won’t take it into account. My dad laughs at me and says you will have a good retirement on your inheritance but I never think of it .

Have got my cauliflower rice as well , will let you know when I have tried it.
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3209 CC2 £308

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 15th Jan 18, 1:44 PM
    • 1,413 Posts
    • 8,174 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Enjoy Darkest Hour SSG, I'm sure you will .

Thank you Hairy - it was a wonderful film and if Gary Oldman doesn't get a BAFTA and Oscar there is no justice in this world!

It will be interesting to see what you think about the greens rice SSG, not too sure about it myself. It's ok but I prefer the cauli rice. Iceland have really upped their game recently. Enjoy the film xx
    Originally posted by Sun Addict

I had both the greens rice and cauli rice last night for dinner SA. I really like the cauli rice - it was rather "carb" tasting and therefore satisfying. The green rice was nice (I thought there was cauli in it, but there wasn't) but not so substantial so I treated this as a vegetable to complement the "rice." I had them with two little pork fillet steaks and BBQ sauce and it all totted up to a very good low cal meal. The green rice did pong out the kitchen a bit though when it came out of the microwave!

SSG I read your old diary , I think you did the right thing paying everything off with your money. I was going to ask if you had any pension arrangements, and you had read my mind . They sound really good and itís good that you have it. My big elephant is that I will still need to pay rent , that is what I want to save for. I canít rely on inheritance it could all be used up so wonít take it into account. My dad laughs at me and says you will have a good retirement on your inheritance but I never think of it .

Have got my cauliflower rice as well , will let you know when I have tried it.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass

I rang the pension providers up this morning Cumbria and they are sending out the transfer values to me - should take between five and fourteen working days. The AVC is worth a little more than I first thought - c.£12,800, so there will be a little more cash to go towards the kitchen fund - maybe c.£3,200. Although I suspect there will be some transfer fees to pay out that will reduce it slightly.

So do you mean that you want to save up a lump sum to put away for your rent when you retire?

Last night my friend and I agreed that we should make more effort to go out and see films - so we have decided to make it more of a regular event. Accordingly, we have decided to go and see the "The Three Billings......" film on Sunday as it has had such fantastic reviews. Also would like to see "The Post" as well as the trailer looked good.

I'm also going to order some boots from Marisota as I'm in need of a new black knee length pair. I've got £50 in the clothing budget and the Marisota pair is £59. I've been filling up the online basket and leaving it hoping I'll get a discount code and I did this morning! 20% off and free delivery! So I'm going to order these as they're within my budget now!

Will be working late tonight so I can get the dreaded project done and dusted!

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 15th Jan 18, 4:14 PM
    • 853 Posts
    • 4,883 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I really want to see the Darkest Hour.

Is the workplace one a really secure one? I was reading about someone earlier who had transferred theirs into Carillion and will now get much less back, hindsight being a wonderful thing.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 15th Jan 18, 5:34 PM
    • 1,413 Posts
    • 8,174 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi redo - I'm just having a coffee and scan of the board before getting down to "the project!"

You'll love Darkest Hour! I was getting pretty emotional when Churchill gave his speech to the House!

With regard to the investment portfolio that makes up my workplace pension, as I am only three years away to retirement it is now invested in very boring, safe vehicles, e.g - bonds, cash, gilt fund, etc - hardly any equity exposure at all. Not a lot of growth there now, but hopefully no nasty surprises either. The other DCS schemes that are transferring to it are pretty much invested the same as well.

My final salary scheme, which will be my main income stream when I retire, is with one of the biggest banks in the world so, again, is hopefully as safe as can be in this world of financial maelstrom!

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th Jan 18, 8:22 PM
    • 2,850 Posts
    • 16,548 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thank you Hairy - it was a wonderful film and if Gary Oldman doesn't get a BAFTA and Oscar there is no justice in this world!

I had both the greens rice and cauli rice last night for dinner SA. I really like the cauli rice - it was rather "carb" tasting and therefore satisfying. The green rice was nice (I thought there was cauli in it, but there wasn't) but not so substantial so I treated this as a vegetable to complement the "rice." I had them with two little pork fillet steaks and BBQ sauce and it all totted up to a very good low cal meal. The green rice did pong out the kitchen a bit though when it came out of the microwave!

I rang the pension providers up this morning Cumbria and they are sending out the transfer values to me - should take between five and fourteen working days. The AVC is worth a little more than I first thought - c.£12,800, so there will be a little more cash to go towards the kitchen fund - maybe c.£3,200. Although I suspect there will be some transfer fees to pay out that will reduce it slightly.

So do you mean that you want to save up a lump sum to put away for your rent when you retire?

Last night my friend and I agreed that we should make more effort to go out and see films - so we have decided to make it more of a regular event. Accordingly, we have decided to go and see the "The Three Billings......" film on Sunday as it has had such fantastic reviews. Also would like to see "The Post" as well as the trailer looked good.

I'm also going to order some boots from Marisota as I'm in need of a new black knee length pair. I've got £50 in the clothing budget and the Marisota pair is £59. I've been filling up the online basket and leaving it hoping I'll get a discount code and I did this morning! 20% off and free delivery! So I'm going to order these as they're within my budget now!

Will be working late tonight so I can get the dreaded project done and dusted!
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    Great news on tbe boots SSG, it's lovely getting a discount on things you're dying to buy .

Glad you enjoyed the film, it's a good idea to go more regularly .

It's not long until you retire, are you looking forward to it?
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th Jan 18, 9:26 PM
    • 4,973 Posts
    • 30,882 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Great bargain with the boots, I love it when things like that happen
    Jan NSDs 4 Jan AFDs 6
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Jan 18, 1:04 PM
    • 1,413 Posts
    • 8,174 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Great news on tbe boots SSG, it's lovely getting a discount on things you're dying to buy .

Glad you enjoyed the film, it's a good idea to go more regularly .

It's not long until you retire, are you looking forward to it?
    Great bargain with the boots, I love it when things like that happen
    Originally posted by Sun Addict

Thanks guys. I had even more of a result on the boots Ė when I went back to order them they have sold out of my size! BUT, a new pair of black boots had appeared within my price range Ė they were originally £85 but had been reduced and a new discount code for 30% also appeared in my email box! So I've bought these and it's worked out cheaper than the other pair at £40.64!

Hairy Ė I am SO looking forward to retirement! I know a good retirement is dependent on one's income and health, but hopefully thiings won't be too bad when the time comes. Apart from when I was pregnant and a month after DD was born, I've worked full on since I was sixteen! I will be so very glad to say goodbye to all the commuting, early mornings, late nights and stress! I have a list of things I want to do on retirement that shouldn't cost too much and I cannot wait!

Speaking of late nights, it's been full on at work and so haven't had time to read diaries and update for last couple of days. I lost 2lb when I weighed in on Monday so that brought me up to a 7lb loss in two weeks. However, I succumbed to fish and chips on the way home last night as I was late and it was freezing!

Money wise it's been relatively scrimpy this week Ė apart from the boots (budgeted for), fish and chips and cinema tickets for the weekend, nothing else spent.

Bit sad that I won't see DD at the weekend. She and OH were due to come down for our "Alternative Christmas", but they are both now snowed under at work with deadlines to meet so will be working at the weekend.

I've got a mandatory training session (three hours!) here at work shortly so will be signing off for now and will catch up with diaries tonight.

• JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 18th Jan 18, 1:34 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Sorry about your DD and alternative Christmas! I feel like lots of people are feeling the heat at work this time of year... It's like the world's woken up after New Year!!
    Credit Card Debt: £0!!!
    Loan Debt: £6,052.36
    Savings: £200.00
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 18th Jan 18, 8:45 PM
    • 4,973 Posts
    • 30,882 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I'm another one who's worked since 16 apart from maternity leave.

Well done on the weight loss but sorry your alternative Christmas won't be going ahead.
    Jan NSDs 4 Jan AFDs 6
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 18th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    • 2,850 Posts
    • 16,548 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    That's great that you're looking forward to retiring SA, you certainly deserve a break.

Hurrah about the boots , but a shame your alternative Christmas has to be delayed .
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 18th Jan 18, 9:13 PM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 5,932 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    I never replied to you asking about the rent fund, yes any money I save after debt free to retirement is for rent fund. Any amount helps , in the real world I hope at 60 to reduce my working week to 3 days .

There are so many ifs and buts in life , nobody knows what the future holds for them, so I will just try and do the best I can.

The boots were a good buy , even better in the sale. Envious of your 7lb weight loss.

I was so pleased yesterday when doctor said BP was very good. Another thing of the list of ailments , it’s bobbins getting older.
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3209 CC2 £308

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Jan 18, 9:26 PM
    • 1,413 Posts
    • 8,174 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Sorry about your DD and alternative Christmas! I feel like lots of people are feeling the heat at work this time of year... It's like the world's woken up after New Year!!
    Originally posted by JWPopps
    Thanks JW. Work for me has really been full on since the New Year. Itís not normally this busy but weíve had a lot of new regulatory requirements that have kicked in since 3rd Jan and itís created tons of extra work in training and projects.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,532Posts Today

9,025Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bigmickwelsh63: @MartinSLewis Already done it.... donated my kidney to my brother almost 30yrs ago. Not sure if I would have done it fo?

• Today's Twitter poll: Following yesterday's poll about being an organ donor when you die - would you consider being? https://t.co/tCTWjJBin8

• RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• Follow Martin