Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    • 495Posts
    • 2,475Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Paid off the 31,000! BUT - still scrimping!
    • 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    Paid off the 31,000! BUT - still scrimping! 18th Sep 16 at 1:27 PM
    Heres to my new shiny diary now that I am debt free!

I have finished my previous diary which detailed my debt free journey. This went well for some months I then failed dismally, managed to pull myself together to pay off half then had a lucky windfall which cleared the rest. If you want to have a look its called Scrimping Behind the Scenes with Debt of 31,000! (sorry, I cant manage to get the link to work!).

In the diary I detailed how I was trying to pay off the debt without alerting the fact to family and friends as I was too embarrassed to let anyone know the extent of my folly!

I have however decided to carry on scrimping as I have a few retirement issues coming up. One of the things that will make scrimping easier is that I dont have to do this in secret anymore! My reasons for cutting back financially will be out there for friends and family to see which will let some of the pressure off!

I am now in my early sixties but my State pension will not kick in for another four and a half years. I will not be getting the full whack as I have had contracted out of the second State pension because I was a member of a previous employers final salary scheme. Luckily this pension will take a little of the headache away and I have a couple of small DCB schemes from other employment over the years though these will not amount to much. I am in my current employers company scheme and both they and I pay into this though again its not going to be life changing!

I calculate that I when I retire my income will be slashed by well over half so to carry scrimping would be a good run up to retirement test for me.

A big worry is that the firm I work for was recently bought out. I have been through this sort of thing with previous employers. What tends to happen is this:

1. Big lovey-dovey honeymoon period between new owners and old owners (who have been paid out, but stay on for goodwill).

2. New owners and old owners start to fall out over the management of the company. The new owners want to run the company their way and old owners think they know better.

3. Bad feeling hits all round and new owners start to have a people clear out.

Im rather apprehensive about the possibility of a people clear out because of my age. I think I will be ok as long as my boss is there but unfortunately he is older than me!

Accordingly, my next scrimpy goal is to fully fund my Emergency Fund. It currently stands at 3,000- but I would like to see it at 10,000 to feel safe. If I can fund it with 1,000 per month (like I did with my debt), I will have 10,000 by end April next year.

So today is going to be a NSD. I have 26.90 left spending money and 18.33 in the grocery budget till I get paid next Friday.

So here we go again interesting times!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Scrimpy Goal - Emergency Fund - 10,000
    Currently: 6027.22 (25/11/2016)

My debt free diary - " Paid off the 31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"

NST: December 2016- NSDs: 1/15
Page 3
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Oct 16, 9:06 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 2,475 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Thanks Mysteek and SA - it was easy interest for one phone call and it all adds to the savings pot!

Have been offline on my diary for a couple of days as felt quite wiped out and been turning into bed early. The only positive thing about feeling poorly is that I lost 8lbs when I got on the scales on Sunday due to all that soup! I know it's mainly a water loss but it's given me a psychological boost!

Sunday was a NSD - and as it was the end of the week I swiped over what was left to holiday debit which means there is only a 58.23 shortfall there now! .

Yesterday was a bit more spendy. More cough syrup and also 17.50 to my friend for a Christmas Fair ticket next month which we go to every year.

Coming up to one of our really busy times in work now so anticipating some late work nights. Still today ended up a NSD!

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 18th Oct 16, 10:36 PM
    • 6,293 Posts
    • 29,979 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Sorry you've been poorly - sounds horrid, but glad you had a silver lining as it were! That's an impressive weight loss!!

Hope the busy time at work isn't too stressful..

Take care

Brizzle x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    New debt: 10,000 0% ;
    Declutter 50 items before 31.12.16 xx/50 ** LSDs Target 10 for December xx/10 **AFDs xx/17
    **NSDs Target 6 for December xx/6
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 19th Oct 16, 8:12 PM
    • 3,270 Posts
    • 16,435 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Sorry to hear you've been poorly, although what a bonus side effect!
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Virtual Sealed Pot 295.11
    Weight loss 9.5/14
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 22nd Oct 16, 9:47 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 2,475 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi everyone

Well work has been very busy has expected - it's one of our two busiest times of the year. I've had a couple of late nights at work and going straight to bed when I get in. Cough is still hanging around - it's really annoying me now - I wish it would disappear!

Spends in the week included more Pret soup, donating 10 to colleague who is off on charity walk and spending just under 16 lunchtime at another colleague's leaving drinks yesterday. I didn't really feel like standing in a pub but in the end I went as I had a lot of time for him workwise.

I did have a few NSD days including today, though I did have my monthly (budgeted) pedicure this morning which left me feeling nice and pampered!

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 23rd Oct 16, 9:03 AM
    • 6,293 Posts
    • 29,979 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Well done on the pampering...very important (I did the same yesterday, now have nice red nails )

Have a great weekend
    Declutter 50 items before 31.12.16 xx/50 ** LSDs Target 10 for December xx/10 **AFDs xx/17
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 23rd Oct 16, 8:56 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 2,475 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Dear sis and her OH popped over today so we went out and had panini and a drink. Ended up spending 15. They are over the moon as they have been trying to adopt and finally after two and a half years they will bringing home their little boy next Monday. So I will have a little nephew! We are all really excited. They have had a tough past year for other reasons and I'm so happy that everything has worked out for them.

And.... whooo - I've got my debt free badge!

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 25th Oct 16, 9:14 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 2,475 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    So - it was the end of working month yesterday (which also was a NSD!):

Monthly Scores on the Scrimpy Doors!:

Negatives:
    • Holiday fund going into debit after Berlin and Windsor trips;
    • Had to buy new washing machine as old one went to the Big Launderette in the Sky;
    • Rotten cold and cough (which is still hanging around after over two weeks!).
    • AND - I came home to a letter from HMRC last night informing me that I had underpaid last years tax by 583! This was a deficit due to the fact that my medical insurance had increased that year but the firm didnt take this into account! (it is classed as a benefit in kind so I pay tax on the amount). So I now have to pay it through PAYE over the next 12 months.
    !

Positives:
    • After I had paid off the rest of the holiday debt category, 59.31 went over to the emergency fund which comprised of balances from Week 4 spends, Week 4 food/household, and 123 cashback/account interest. With the extra 320 I had in todays pay packet this brought it down to a 3.68 debit so I have funded it with some of this months spends to bring it back to the full 4,000 post the new washing machine. With the allocated 1,000 from this months salary the emergency fund now stands at 5,000 which is half way to my 10,000 goal!!!
    • Joining the October NSD Turtles thread which has made me focus more;
    • Saving some money on subscribing to Times instead of buying paper each day (thank you Sun Addict!);
    • Having the safety of an emergency fund so that when the said washing machine did blow up the cash for the cost of the new one was already in my account if I had chosen to fund it from there;
    • Finally setting up categories in YNAB for next month in respect of clothes and toiletries/make up all essentials for me which I should have done ages ago;
    • Getting two for one cinema tickets for a year through comparethemarket.com when renewing my contents insurance. Also got 16% cashback via quidco on my travel insurance.
    • Opening Regular Esaver account at 3% for a year - funding this with 200 per month.
    • Among Non-fiscal positives was the lovely day out with family on Thames Rib Ride, my fantastic breaks in Berlin and Windsor and of course the wonderful news about my new little nephew!!!

Today I bought a new lipstick in M&S - I had a 20% off coupon so only cost me 8 - the colour and texture looked and felt very much like my usual 15.50 Mac version so I thought I would try and downsize a brand! If I like it I'll keep to it! Also bought some opaque knee highs for under trousers - three packs came to 9 but I had 10 worth of loyalty vouchers - bought some Xmas gift tags with the other 1. Also bought a British Legion poppy brooch - 15 but I always support Poppy Day and I'm forever losing the regular poppies!

• Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 25th Oct 16, 9:59 PM
    • 3,931 Posts
    • 11,551 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    And.... whooo - I've got my debt free badge!
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58

Congratulations x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    BC: 8850.00 Overdraft: 2750.00

15 NSD - 8/15, 10 LSD - 3/10, 15 AFD - 1/15, Lunches to work 9/20

20p Savers 2016 2 Savers 2016 50p Savers 2016 SPC 9 2016 #003
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 25th Oct 16, 10:21 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 2,475 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Thank you PM2 - I've only just got round to posting on the Debt Free Roll of Honour so it's lovely to see it shining there on the left after being in various stages of debt for the good part of my working life!

One badge I would like is the coat hanger with trousers - the retired early badge1 But I cant see that happening yet!

• crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 26th Oct 16, 7:12 AM
    • 759 Posts
    • 1,443 Thanks
    crunch_time
    So - it was the end of working month yesterday (which also was a NSD!):

Monthly Scores on the Scrimpy Doors!:

Negatives:
    • Holiday fund going into debit after Berlin and Windsor trips;
    • Had to buy new washing machine as old one went to the Big Launderette in the Sky;
    • Rotten cold and cough (which is still hanging around after over two weeks!).
    • AND - I came home to a letter from HMRC last night informing me that I had underpaid last years tax by 583! This was a deficit due to the fact that my medical insurance had increased that year but the firm didnt take this into account! (it is classed as a benefit in kind so I pay tax on the amount). So I now have to pay it through PAYE over the next 12 months.
    !

Positives:
    • After I had paid off the rest of the holiday debt category, 59.31 went over to the emergency fund which comprised of balances from Week 4 spends, Week 4 food/household, and 123 cashback/account interest. With the extra 320 I had in todays pay packet this brought it down to a 3.68 debit so I have funded it with some of this months spends to bring it back to the full 4,000 post the new washing machine. With the allocated 1,000 from this months salary the emergency fund now stands at 5,000 which is half way to my 10,000 goal!!!
    • Joining the October NSD Turtles thread which has made me focus more;
    • Saving some money on subscribing to Times instead of buying paper each day (thank you Sun Addict!);
    • Having the safety of an emergency fund so that when the said washing machine did blow up the cash for the cost of the new one was already in my account if I had chosen to fund it from there;
    • Finally setting up categories in YNAB for next month in respect of clothes and toiletries/make up all essentials for me which I should have done ages ago;
    • Getting two for one cinema tickets for a year through comparethemarket.com when renewing my contents insurance. Also got 16% cashback via quidco on my travel insurance.
    • Opening Regular Esaver account at 3% for a year - funding this with 200 per month.
    • Among Non-fiscal positives was the lovely day out with family on Thames Rib Ride, my fantastic breaks in Berlin and Windsor and of course the wonderful news about my new little nephew!!!
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    I love this way of looking at things. I'm going to start thinking of each month like this - positives and negatives and things I am grateful for. It puts the whole thing into perspective!

Thank you
    Crunchyxx
    June 2014 23,555 vs Now 10,500 (Loan)
    Smashed my credit card for the last time 1275 PAID OFF!!!
    Next up - Husbands Credit card 1461
    0% Credit card 950/1096
    • -taff
    • By -taff 26th Oct 16, 7:49 AM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 3,731 Thanks
    -taff
    You can get better deals on water filters [ I know it's a bit late] from Arg*s or similar on the net. I had a years worth from @mazon for about 25 quid, branded, but special offer, they seem to have dropped in price again lately.
    Shops do have 3 universal types that should fit, like W!lkos etc.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 26th Oct 16, 8:56 PM
    • 3,270 Posts
    • 16,435 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    So pleased to see the positives list is far longer than the negatives one I used to always look back on my month and plan for the next one - I need to start doing this again, keeps me focused. Don't talk to me about the paper poppies, I'm lucky if mine last a day before losing.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 9.5/14
    • Alarae
    • By Alarae 27th Oct 16, 11:39 AM
    • 247 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    Alarae
    Popping in Seaside- I thought our diary relationship was a bit one-sided so thought I would come along to visit here

I have to say, your diary is so organised! I may need to pinch a few of your ideas- most importantly a running total for grocery spends as I am awful in that area!

It is good to hear you are on the mend from that nasty cold. At work they were offering flu jabs and I said no (not a fan of needles) to which my director said she wouldn't pay me for sick leave if I ended up with the flu! I work in tax so the next few months will be full on until 1st February. Luckily she was joking but it still didn't make me want to volunteer to be sticked! I happened to be out that day anyway for study leave, so it's not like I could have had it even if I wanted to...

If you want to give the weight loss thing a go, have you heard of Myfitnesspal? It basically helps you track your calories and gives you a goal number to eat that day. It's fantastic and the community are fab to help with any queries. No exercise required! I'm nearing a three and a half stone loss now since January, with two months off in between, not following any faddy diets at all. I also eat chocolate everyday without fail, so you don't have to give up the Cronuts!

I will also subscribe to your diary once I find the button... *wanders off*
    Slimming the Wallet... and Me!
    09/10/2016
    MBNA:
    (775.46) AA: 972.00 (25.00) Barclaycard: 938.54 (0.00)
    • Mysteek
    • By Mysteek 27th Oct 16, 10:56 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    Mysteek
    Lovely shiny new badge! I wondered what had happened to it!
    Fantastic news also on your new little nephew!
    MFIT #73 - Pay all mortgage off in 3 years 46,40034,295 PAID 12,105
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 30th Oct 16, 10:08 AM
    • 495 Posts
    • 2,475 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Morning all! I havent posted for a few days so making an early start today. This was due to some late work nights thank goodness it will calm down this week. Also had visit to hairdressers after work and last night had fantastic time at concert (ticket bought a few months ago) with some friends saw a band that was really big in the Sixties and early Seventies it was great to listen to all the old tracks took me back to my pre-teens when we all had little transistor radios to listen in to the pirate radio stations!

Hi to crunchy and SA I find posting monthly positives/negatives really helpful of course as my thread is my diary its nice to look back each month for a quick recap on what I have been up to and what is working for me money wise.

Thanks for the tips taff you are so right Im definitely going to source Amazon next time I am running out of water filters. Also, with regards to your comment on the universal filters, the cheaper Tesco versions sound like they will fit so I will check both Amazon and Tesco for price.

Welcome Alarae its nice to see you over here! I have my own flu jab this week we get vouchers through work for a free jab at Boots. Im your opposite Im wimpy about not having the jab as the last time I got flu a couple of years ago I was so ill I could hardly get out of bed and had a week off work! Id rather have the jab than the flu! Re. myfitnesspal, Ive got something like that called nutracheck recording on it has been sliding lately though!

Thanks Mysteek itll be a few weeks before I can meet him but Im really looking forward to it!

So last week I had a few NSDs and today should also count as well. The non-scrimpy days included a few charity donations, impromptu lunch with a good friend who rang up out of the blue and who I hadnt seen for a while, and drinks at the concert last night.

Scrimpy budgeted spends were my highlights/cut at hairdressers, birthday cards, 10 to birthday whip for work colleague on our desk (we do this for each other). Also bought some Christmas pressies golf balls for my boss cheapest sourced via quidco and some Molton Brown smellies for one of my besties. We were given a 20% discount code via work so saved some money there! The girl in Molton Brown also wrapped it up really nice so all I have to do is put tag and ribbons on it!

Ive signed up for the NOvember NSD thread though I have taken the less scrimpy/hardcore path of the two options. One of the tasks is to drop your budgeted food/household bill by 5% so that is 6 for me. After my monthly Tesco shop and minus the 6 I am left with 9.57 for each of the next three weeks. Big shop is being delivered tonight so this may change very slightly if there are any adjustments such as stuff not being available. Anyway I am winging the 6 over to the emergency fund!

The weight thing went better than I expected after losing the 8lb two weeks ago I have also lost another 1lb when getting on the scales yesterday. My eating went rather back to normal last week and the 5:2 hasnt really started as I have been all over the place. This week Ill get back on the two days Wednesdays and Fridays.

With regard to up and coming events for November I have the Christmas Fair this week that my friends and I visit annually, a meal out to celebrate her retirement from the City with one of my oldest pals (lucky thing to be retiring!), and Im having my bedroom carpet cleaned. Hopefully I will be able to do the NSD thread justice on all the other days and have a reasonably scrimpy month!

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 30th Oct 16, 7:40 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 2,475 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Forgot to add in my earlier post today that Im in dire need of smart winter boots. Received 20% discount code from Marisota in post yesterday so will have scout through their website to see if I can find a nice pair.

I have also started a cleaning/tidying month so that everything will be nice and shipshape for when the Xmas deccies go up at the beginning of December.

A few months ago I bought a book on Kindle called 30 days to A Clean and Organised House by Katie Berry, which Ive never properly read through (I am a sucker for these sort of books!). Tbh my flat isnt in that bad a shape as Im a bit of a minimalist decor wise, definitely not a clutter bug and dont have a lot of storage space! I do think however that things are beginning to grow behind closed doors! Also Ive not been absolutely on top of things whilst I was poorly and the late night working hasnt helped. So I thought it would be an ideal opportunity to start the tasks in the book. Im more of a flylady tidier than the Marie Kondo type and this book fits in nicely with getting thing done bit by bit over 30 days. You have a basic routine that you do every day which is not arduous or particularly time consuming, plus she gives you three different types of jobs: cleaning, organising and maintenance. The main thing is that you have to follow her instructions strictly no deviating from the tasks she gives you as each day is worked out precisely to complement each other. Its a bit like flylady but you get a month to finish it. She does however state that if you are really time poor or have physical difficulties you can take longer than a month, but you must follow the order of the plan.

So this afternoon Day 1 the cleaning task was actually the basic daily cleaning routine - I think this is to give those with serious clutter/cleaning problems a bit of a flying start. So I fairly zoomed through that. The organising task was the spice/herb drawer/cupboard. In my case that is a shelf in one of my kitchen cupboards. Again mine wasnt too bad as I dont hoard a lot I took them all out and wiped down shelf and jars/containers. They were all in good date so none needed to be thrown. The maintenance task was catching up with laundry, but as theres only me to launder for Im never behind with that particular task.

So easy day today but will have more to do as I go along!

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 31st Oct 16, 11:05 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 2,475 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I managed 11 out of 12 NSDs for the October challenge so here's to winging into November!

One of the NSDs was today so that was a good end to the month.

Tesco didn't have a couple of items when my grocery shop was delivered so grocery spends for the next three weeks have been adjusted up to 12.98 each.

Re Day 2 of the cleaning project - I've got off easy again today as cleaning job was the fridge which I always do before the big shop arrives so that had been done yesterday. Likewise organising task was clearing out cupboard under kitchen sink. I did this when new washing machine was delivered a couple of weeks ago. That left the maintenance task which was dusting the bedroom furniture so that didnt take long!

• Hiraeth
    • By Hiraeth 1st Nov 16, 3:16 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Hiraeth
    Great to see your site. I am in a position where I am just retired, in debt and not able to tell my husband about it. I have started looking at my finances seriously and making a note of everything I spend, and even working out before hand if I need to spend something before I do. Anyway am well motivated to get it all paid off.

Love the way you keep your diary and I think I might pinch your idea of making a list of positive and negatives. Also love the way it is so 'newsy' and full of ideas. As I get paid fortnightly I thought I would post my positive and negatives fortnightly - hopefully it will keep me properly on track.
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 1st Nov 16, 8:17 AM
    • 6,293 Posts
    • 29,979 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Hi SSG and pals

Love the newsy updates and so so much to be proud of! All going well which is great to see.

I would also like a ER badge SSG...not sure it's going to happen anytime soon but I did cross another brick off my MFW wall today, so the only way is up!

Xx
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 1st Nov 16, 8:25 PM
    • 3,270 Posts
    • 16,435 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I would love to think I could clean and organise my home in just 30 days As fast as I clean/tidy Mr SA, DD and the dog undo it all!
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 9.5/14
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,754Posts Today

7,833Users online

Martin's Twitter