Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    • 1,191Posts
    • 6,710Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping!
    • 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping! 18th Sep 16 at 1:27 PM
    Hereís to my new shiny diary now that I am debt free!

I have finished my previous diary which detailed my debt free journey. This went well for some months Ė I then failed dismally, managed to pull myself together to pay off half then had a lucky windfall which cleared the rest. If you want to have a look itís called ďScrimping Behind the Scenes Ė with Debt of £31,000!Ē (sorry, I canít manage to get the link to work!).

In the diary I detailed how I was trying to pay off the debt without alerting the fact to family and friends as I was too embarrassed to let anyone know the extent of my folly!

I have however decided to carry on scrimping as I have a few retirement issues coming up. One of the things that will make scrimping easier is that I donít have to do this in secret anymore! My reasons for cutting back financially will be out there for friends and family to see Ė which will let some of the pressure off!

I am now in my early sixties but my State pension will not kick in for another four and a half years. I will not be getting the full whack as I have had contracted out of the second State pension because I was a member of a previous employerís final salary scheme. Luckily this pension will take a little of the headache away and I have a couple of small DCB schemes from other employment over the years though these will not amount to much. I am in my current employerís company scheme and both they and I pay into this Ė though again itís not going to be life changing!

I calculate that I when I retire my income will be slashed by well over half so to carry scrimping would be a good run up to retirement test for me.

A big worry is that the firm I work for was recently bought out. I have been through this sort of thing with previous employers. What tends to happen is this:

1. Big lovey-dovey honeymoon period between new owners and old owners (who have been paid out, but stay on for goodwill).

2. New owners and old owners start to fall out over the management of the company. The new owners want to run the company their way and old owners think they know better.

3. Bad feeling hits all round and new owners start to have a ďpeopleĒ clear out.Ē

Iím rather apprehensive about the possibility of a people clear out because of my age. I think I will be ok as long as my boss is there but unfortunately he is older than me!

Accordingly, my next scrimpy goal is to fully fund my ďEmergency Fund.Ē It currently stands at £3,000- but I would like to see it at £10,000 to feel safe. If I can fund it with £1,000 per month (like I did with my debt), I will have £10,000 by end April next year.

So today is going to be a NSD. I have £26.90 left spending money and £18.33 in the grocery budget till I get paid next Friday.

So here we go again Ė interesting times!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
Page 22
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 26th Nov 17, 6:13 AM
    • 4,118 Posts
    • 22,856 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant

Was it a coconut shampoo he suggested inod or more of a lotion you would apply to the scalp?

Thanks again everyone for your comments. Thinning hair seems such a vain thing to moan about when so many people have real health problems to worry about but I think as a woman it really brings your confidence levels down.
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    I expect the coconut oil will be the stuff you cook with/bathe in/moisturise with - you usually buy it in tubs and it looks really thick but is actually very malleable once it's got the heat of your hands.

Most places sell it now but at various prices - http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product-group/coconut-oil/

I agree with you Seaside that some people have other health worries which may seem worse than your hair issue but at the end of the day it's how you feel about it that matters.
    And what I love about MSE is there is always someone who has experienced the same or known someone who has and everyone is always happy to share their wisdom.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 15 for November
    NSD - 1/15
    (up to 01/11/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 26th Nov 17, 9:59 AM
    • 4,750 Posts
    • 26,912 Thanks
    in need of direction
    EE was right. Sorry, I should have said, it's a female gp. She says that she can't stand the smell of coconut now as he mother continually rubbed the oil into her hair when she was a child to stimulate growth and thickness. She does have amazing hair for her age. It's a cheap option and maybe worth trying on face pack nights, etc.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £130/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 8/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 26th Nov 17, 12:28 PM
    • 2,119 Posts
    • 6,276 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi Seaside

Your colleague is just rude and bad mannered. I can't give you advice but you are a wonderful person and you should ignore your colleagues jibe.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 26th Nov 17, 8:15 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,710 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Thanks everyone - your lovely comments have really bucked me up no end and EE you are so right about MSE posters sharing their wisdom. Iíve learnt so much since Iíve joined the ranks.

I checked out the coconut oil online - there were a few horror stories on there about people using it for thinning hair and the first time they tried it their hair started to come away! It seemed to happen to those with fine, thin hair like me - users with coarser thicker hair seemed to get a benefit from it. I think I will just try the Viviscal for now as I couldnít bear to lose any more hair at the moment! but thank you again inod for your suggestion and EE for looking up the link.

Talking of the Viviscal, my yearly Amex Cashback card payout is on the 1st December and itís nearly up to £62 at the moment. The supplement for three months is about £69 so the Cashback will pay for most of the cost!

Today I went out for a walk - lovely cold, crisp sunny day, and then went to Pilates. Creaked and crunched all over the place again but I certainly felt that it loosened up my lower back. I wonít talk about my attempt at the Plank though...... Itís really made me want to focus on my weight loss as Iíll certainly get more benefit from Pilates if I can drop some lbs. My tutor is away for the next two weekends but Iím going to try and book for the group class next Saturday morning before I go off to Stratford on the Sunday.

Oh and I forgot to mention in my last post - have put £420 back into the EF so all fully funded again now!

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 26th Nov 17, 8:44 PM
    • 4,764 Posts
    • 28,403 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    When I was a teenager I used to brush coconut oil on my eyelashes every night. I probably read the tip in Jackie magazine. I don't do it now but at the time I had very long eyelashes so might be something in it.

You'll have to let us know how you get on with the supplement, worth a try, if it doesn't work at least you've given it a go.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £20.70
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 26th Nov 17, 9:03 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,710 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Thanks SA. There does appear plenty of evidence that it works for some - itís just that Iím terrified Iíll end up being one of those that will lose more hair. Iíll do a monthly update on the supplements though.

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 26th Nov 17, 11:05 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 4,669 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Yes monthly updates will be good . Glad Pilates was ok again today.
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 27th Nov 17, 11:39 AM
    • 4,750 Posts
    • 26,912 Thanks
    in need of direction
    So, inspired by you, I contacted my old one to one Pilates instructor. She got back saying one of the twelve spaces in her group class has become available and OH has said that he will pay for the six sessions. I wouldn't have thought of it if your post hadn't prompted me so thank you.

Also, re your hair. If you hadn't already thought of it, can I suggest that you talk some photographs so you can actually compare to see what works.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,389.12, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,055.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Progress not perfection.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 28th Nov 17, 9:36 PM
    • 2,310 Posts
    • 11,298 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I have the same problem as you SSG with regard to thinning hair. It's quite common after the menopause and is often genetic if all else has been ruled out. Mine is thinner on the top and like you I hide it with a side parting .

I can't afford supplements so I just hope it doesn't get much worse. One thing I've noticed is that my hair falls out when I'm stressed and thickens up a bit when I feel relaxed.

I also try to eat things like eggs, as at one time I thought I might not be having enough fat in my diet.

It is quite a common problem and I often spot women out and about with a thin patch. I've had my thyroid checked and that's fine. I decided a few years ago that as there's nothing I can do about it then I just have to not worry about it. If all else fails there are always wigs or scarves .
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £203.76
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 28th Nov 17, 9:46 PM
    • 661 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Thanks everyone - your lovely comments have really bucked me up no end and EE you are so right about MSE posters sharing their wisdom. Iíve learnt so much since Iíve joined the ranks.

I checked out the coconut oil online - there were a few horror stories on there about people using it for thinning hair and the first time they tried it their hair started to come away! It seemed to happen to those with fine, thin hair like me - users with coarser thicker hair seemed to get a benefit from it. I think I will just try the Viviscal for now as I couldnít bear to lose any more hair at the moment! but thank you again inod for your suggestion and EE for looking up the link.

Talking of the Viviscal, my yearly Amex Cashback card payout is on the 1st December and itís nearly up to £62 at the moment. The supplement for three months is about £69 so the Cashback will pay for most of the cost!

Today I went out for a walk - lovely cold, crisp sunny day, and then went to Pilates. Creaked and crunched all over the place again but I certainly felt that it loosened up my lower back. I wonít talk about my attempt at the Plank though...... Itís really made me want to focus on my weight loss as Iíll certainly get more benefit from Pilates if I can drop some lbs. My tutor is away for the next two weekends but Iím going to try and book for the group class next Saturday morning before I go off to Stratford on the Sunday.

Oh and I forgot to mention in my last post - have put £420 back into the EF so all fully funded again now!
    re hair try a product nizoral
    Debts 15981.64 total paid 2078
    Cashback Earnings YTD £167.28 Survey Earnings YTD £570.88
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 2nd Dec 17, 10:02 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,710 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    So, inspired by you, I contacted my old one to one Pilates instructor. She got back saying one of the twelve spaces in her group class has become available and OH has said that he will pay for the six sessions. I wouldn't have thought of it if your post hadn't prompted me so thank you.

Also, re your hair. If you hadn't already thought of it, can I suggest that you talk some photographs so you can actually compare to see what works.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Iím glad youíre off to Pilates again inod as I remember you used to practice it.

Thanks also for the photo tip. Iím definitely going to ďselfieĒ my head and see if there is any difference as time goes on.

I have the same problem as you SSG with regard to thinning hair. It's quite common after the menopause and is often genetic if all else has been ruled out. Mine is thinner on the top and like you I hide it with a side parting .

I can't afford supplements so I just hope it doesn't get much worse. One thing I've noticed is that my hair falls out when I'm stressed and thickens up a bit when I feel relaxed.

I also try to eat things like eggs, as at one time I thought I might not be having enough fat in my diet.
    S
    It is quite a common problem and I often spot women out and about with a thin patch. I've had my thyroid checked and that's fine. I decided a few years ago that as there's nothing I can do about it then I just have to not worry about it. If all else fails there are always wigs or scarves .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Itís such a pain Hairy. If the Viviscal doesnít work Iíve run out of options. Wigs and scarves eh ........

re hair try a product nizoral
    Originally posted by Scott_Weiland
    Hi Scott. Thanks for the tip. Iíve looked into Nizoral but it seems to be a treatment for dandruff rather than hair loss.

Well where has this week gone! Quite a lot on again in work - new accounts coming in - some quite complex.

Was out on Wednesday - had my trip with the family on the wonderful train to Chatsworth House. Such a beautiful place - it had a Dickens theme this Christmas - so cleverly done. Actors dressed up as Dickens characters and the rooms dressed to match so the grand dining room which is laid up for a banquet had cobwebs sprayed over it and an old wedding cake in the middle of the table with eerie music playing to mimic Miss Havershamís dining room from Great Expectations. Wonderful Christmas trees and decorations as well. There was a Christmas market outside but I was quite good - bought some cheeses, chocolate liqueur for DD and me, biscuits for work, and a lovely advent calendar which was a painting of Chatsworth House with the little doors opening all over it.

Thursday afternoon at work was our desk Xmas lunch - that was good fun. Yesterday I worked late as Iím off now till next Thursday (whoopee!)

Today I finished my 30 cleaning project earlier than I should as the deccies went up today. I did miss a couple of things off, like sorting out the paperwork, till the New Year and some things in the book donít apply to me anyway as I donít have an office or dining room.

Still it all looks lovely and twinkly!

Tomorrow Iím off to Stratford at lunchtime so will pack tomorrow morning. Really looking forward to it!

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 2nd Dec 17, 10:27 PM
    • 4,750 Posts
    • 26,912 Thanks
    in need of direction
    your life always seems both glamorous and fulfilling. i love the balance you achieve.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 3rd Dec 17, 7:38 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 4,669 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    How was your weekend in Stratford, was RSC as good as you thought. ?

Chatsworth sounded wonderful , we live not so far away, might visit my birthday weekend, depending on the weather.
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 3rd Dec 17, 8:59 PM
    • 4,764 Posts
    • 28,403 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Sigh - I miss going to Stratford Another place we used to go a lot was Stroud. Hope you've had a fab day
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £20.70
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 3rd Dec 17, 9:55 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,710 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    your life always seems both glamorous and fulfilling. i love the balance you achieve.
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Thanks inod - though it would be nice to have some actual glamorous hair.

How was your weekend in Stratford, was RSC as good as you thought. ?

Chatsworth sounded wonderful , we live not so far away, might visit my birthday weekend, depending on the weather.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Just arrived in Stratford this afternoon Cumbria. First play we are seeing is tomorrow night.

Do try and get to Chatsworth before the end of the year to see the Dickens experience if you can.

Sigh - I miss going to Stratford Another place we used to go a lot was Stroud. Hope you've had a fab day
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Thanks SA. Iíve never been to Stroud. Itís in the Cotswolds isnít it and very picturesque?

All my train connections were on time - the hotel is very comfortable and olde worldy. Staff are really nice and the bar and restaurant here are liveely. Stratford is looking very Christmassy.

However DD managed to get on the wrong train and ended up on her way to London instead of Birmingham! got off at Peterborough and managed to get a connection and arrived about quarter of an hour before our restaurant reservation time! At one point I thought I would be sitting in there like Billy No-Mates!

So tomorrow weíre going to explore Stratford before theatre in the evening.

Night night for now!

• Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 5th Dec 17, 1:54 AM
    • 661 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    Iím glad youíre off to Pilates again inod as I remember you used to practice it.

Thanks also for the photo tip. Iím definitely going to ďselfieĒ my head and see if there is any difference as time goes on.

Itís such a pain Hairy. If the Viviscal doesnít work Iíve run out of options. Wigs and scarves eh ........

Hi Scott. Thanks for the tip. Iíve looked into Nizoral but it seems to be a treatment for dandruff rather than hair loss.

Well where has this week gone! Quite a lot on again in work - new accounts coming in - some quite complex.

Was out on Wednesday - had my trip with the family on the wonderful train to Chatsworth House. Such a beautiful place - it had a Dickens theme this Christmas - so cleverly done. Actors dressed up as Dickens characters and the rooms dressed to match so the grand dining room which is laid up for a banquet had cobwebs sprayed over it and an old wedding cake in the middle of the table with eerie music playing to mimic Miss Havershamís dining room from Great Expectations. Wonderful Christmas trees and decorations as well. There was a Christmas market outside but I was quite good - bought some cheeses, chocolate liqueur for DD and me, biscuits for work, and a lovely advent calendar which was a painting of Chatsworth House with the little doors opening all over it.

Thursday afternoon at work was our desk Xmas lunch - that was good fun. Yesterday I worked late as Iím off now till next Thursday (whoopee!)

Today I finished my 30 cleaning project earlier than I should as the deccies went up today. I did miss a couple of things off, like sorting out the paperwork, till the New Year and some things in the book donít apply to me anyway as I donít have an office or dining room.

Still it all looks lovely and twinkly!

Tomorrow Iím off to Stratford at lunchtime so will pack tomorrow morning. Really looking forward to it!

Right re Nizoral i cant remember the chemical in it its name escapes me but anyway it has something in it which strengthens routes and helps pretent further hair loss. Its being used quite abit with rogaine/regaine in america to prevent mpb and prolong it.
    Debts 15981.64 total paid 2078
    Cashback Earnings YTD £167.28 Survey Earnings YTD £570.88
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 5th Dec 17, 8:55 AM
    • 2,310 Posts
    • 11,298 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Could you get to Stratford by coach or train SA? Or would your DS take you for a visit?

You sound like you're having a fabulous time in Stratford SSG. to DD getting on tbe wrong train,
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 8th Dec 17, 1:01 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,710 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Right re Nizoral i cant remember the chemical in it its name escapes me but anyway it has something in it which strengthens routes and helps pretent further hair loss. Its being used quite abit with rogaine/regaine in america to prevent mpb and prolong it.
    Originally posted by Scott_Weiland

Thanks Scott - I'll do some more digging on this.

You sound like you're having a fabulous time in Stratford SSG. to DD getting on tbe wrong train,
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor

Thanks Hairy!

Week has absolutely flown by again!

Had a fabulous time in Stratford. The Cicero plays were wonderful. On the first night, the actor playing Cicero was unable to go on so his understudy took the role. It must have been absolutely nerve racking for him as the character is on stage for near enough the whole night! He only made a few fluffs but the audience were behind him and at the end both the rest of the cast and us gave him a rousing send off! The next evening, Richard McCabe, was back playing Cicero Ė he is a wonderful actor and his performance was excellent.

On the Monday we took the bus tour of Stratford, which we always do when we are visiting somewhere new as it is a great way to get your bearings. Also explored it on foot and did some shopping Ė I wasnít going to buy anything else for Christmas but found a rather nice Xmas throw for £25 Ė faux sheepskin on one side and warm and woolly on the other Ė grey and white and very Scandi and hygge! On the Tuesday we visited Warwick Castle and felt like we had the whole place virtually to ourselves Ė watched the Birds of Prey show while we were there Ė they are so beautiful. Wednesday we had a lovely lunch in a newish restaurant where DD had read good reviews Ė while we were having coffee, they brought up a little accompaniment of tiny profiteroles, which were the best I've ever tasted and where I could have eaten a whole bowlful! I said that they should put them on the main dessert menu!

Then travelled back to London Ė got there just as the rush hour was starting and there were delays on the underground so, as I had my case, I decided to get a taxi to my usual overground station. This took nearly an hour as the traffic was gridlocked! Was rather stressed when I got to my station but there was a lovely choir of about 20 Cubs in their uniforms and Santa hats singing carols. They were absolutely belting out "Mary's Boy Child" Ė rather out of tune but were so enthusiastic it really cheered me up so I gave them all my loose change!

Back to work the next day which was full on after my three days off. I'm off tonight though to see DD and OH for the weekend as they won't be spending Christmas with us this year. I'm just taking up their edible Christmas presents and OH's sons' pressies. DD and OH are going to come down and stay in mid-January at DSis's and we're all going to go out for a "late" Christmas meal and exchange our presents then.

Still plodding on with the surveys and still a bit to go with them before I get a pay out. Got paid £7.60 cashback from Quidco though!

• JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 8th Dec 17, 1:09 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    JWPopps
    That sounds like a lovely week, I'm so pleased for you! That Christmas rug sounds lush...
    Credit Card Debt: £720
    Loan Debt: £6,100
    Savings: £30

[B]PAYDBX 2017 - #19 : 80% paid 6624/8280[/
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 8th Dec 17, 7:32 PM
    • 2,310 Posts
    • 11,298 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    That sounds fabulous SSG, what a great time you had .

Who will you spend Christmas with if DD is away? I hope you have some friends or other family you can be with.

Have a great weekend .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,418Posts Today

7,783Users online

Martin's Twitter