Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    • 906Posts
    • 4,726Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping!
    • 18th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping! 18th Sep 16 at 1:27 PM
    Hereís to my new shiny diary now that I am debt free!

I have finished my previous diary which detailed my debt free journey. This went well for some months Ė I then failed dismally, managed to pull myself together to pay off half then had a lucky windfall which cleared the rest. If you want to have a look itís called ďScrimping Behind the Scenes Ė with Debt of £31,000!Ē (sorry, I canít manage to get the link to work!).

In the diary I detailed how I was trying to pay off the debt without alerting the fact to family and friends as I was too embarrassed to let anyone know the extent of my folly!

I have however decided to carry on scrimping as I have a few retirement issues coming up. One of the things that will make scrimping easier is that I donít have to do this in secret anymore! My reasons for cutting back financially will be out there for friends and family to see Ė which will let some of the pressure off!

I am now in my early sixties but my State pension will not kick in for another four and a half years. I will not be getting the full whack as I have had contracted out of the second State pension because I was a member of a previous employerís final salary scheme. Luckily this pension will take a little of the headache away and I have a couple of small DCB schemes from other employment over the years though these will not amount to much. I am in my current employerís company scheme and both they and I pay into this Ė though again itís not going to be life changing!

I calculate that I when I retire my income will be slashed by well over half so to carry scrimping would be a good run up to retirement test for me.

A big worry is that the firm I work for was recently bought out. I have been through this sort of thing with previous employers. What tends to happen is this:

1. Big lovey-dovey honeymoon period between new owners and old owners (who have been paid out, but stay on for goodwill).

2. New owners and old owners start to fall out over the management of the company. The new owners want to run the company their way and old owners think they know better.

3. Bad feeling hits all round and new owners start to have a ďpeopleĒ clear out.Ē

Iím rather apprehensive about the possibility of a people clear out because of my age. I think I will be ok as long as my boss is there but unfortunately he is older than me!

Accordingly, my next scrimpy goal is to fully fund my ďEmergency Fund.Ē It currently stands at £3,000- but I would like to see it at £10,000 to feel safe. If I can fund it with £1,000 per month (like I did with my debt), I will have £10,000 by end April next year.

So today is going to be a NSD. I have £26.90 left spending money and £18.33 in the grocery budget till I get paid next Friday.

So here we go again Ė interesting times!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
Page 15
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 3rd Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    • 4,423 Posts
    • 24,715 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Welcome home SSG - glad you had a fab time Sounds like you're straight back on the wagon too.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £656.24
    October NSD 5/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 3rd Oct 17, 7:04 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,403 Thanks
    reality_check
    I hope you had an amazing holiday! Great news on the fitbit! xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    Current debt: £8,250
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 3rd Oct 17, 7:12 PM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Your holiday sounds lovely SG. I love Roman remains so I'm VERY jealous. Glad you enjoyed it .

You're doing really well to get straight back into the money saving.
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt at highest = £58,766
    Current debt = £16,234, Emergency Fund = £200
    Long Hauler No. 156 Spendaholics Anonymous No. 47
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 4th Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 4,726 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Thanks guys. I went to the gym last night and he let me off training my legs! But I've just returned from a session this evening where he did put me through a leg workout! So I've crawled onto the sofa to write my diary! Anyway I weighed myself today and have managed to lose 2lbs even though I chomped my way through all that lovely Italian food! An archeological tour/ extinct volcano climb holiday must be the way forward.

I had a catch up lunch today with my friend and also bought some birthday and new home cards (these out of the gifts budget).

I received a letter today from Santander confirming my e-saver 3% savings account is ending soon so I'll arrange to close it and move everything over to the 123 account. Will have to look around for another savings account but not a lot out there interest wise.

And my travel insurance finishes at the end of the month so will look around tomorrow to try and beat current provider's renewal quote which has gone up £12 from last year.

I was looking at the calendar for the rest of October spends wise - have got a few things on with family and friends so won't be putting that much away this month. Plus the tooth appointment will be looming soon.

SSG x

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 5th Oct 17, 7:58 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 4,726 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Oh I love being at home and not at work!. Don't have to return till next Thursday - bliss!

So today I pottered about, went to Aldi and just picked up a couple of bits to tide me over till tomorrow when I'm off to DD's for the weekend. My friend popped in from work for a natter and a cuppa and has not long left.

I got a renewal notice from my contents insurance provider so I decided to have a look round to see if I could better it. Spent quite a bit of time on comparison sites and checking on quidco for Cashback but strangely enough only one provider could better the renewal. And this was due to the £70 Cashback offer. So I was about to go to the page where I enter my card details when I noticed that the offer only applied to combined buildings/contents insurance which I dont need as my flat's freeholder arranges the buildings side. I checked back on quidco but there was no mention of a combined policy. I was quite annoyed as I could have ended up paying out another £40 for nothing! so I'll be sticking with the renewal quote.

Also didn't get very far with the travel insurance. I can't get a quote till I get a diagnosis from the podiatrist once he has looked at the scan / X-rays and my appointment is not till the week after next. So that will have to wait.

Anyway at least I was productive in sorting out my winter footwear. Summer stuff has replaced the winter stuff in the suitcase that lives under the bed with a few bits to take to the dress agency tomorrow. Will sort out rest of wardrobe and drawers tomorrow morning.

SSG x

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 5th Oct 17, 8:44 PM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You've been busy SG, it feels great to get all those things organised
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 9th Oct 17, 10:26 AM
    • 906 Posts
    • 4,726 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    On the train now winging my way back from DD's and just finished my full English - got cheap 1st class tickets courtesy of Advanced booking and Senior Railcard. . Really enjoyed my weekend - had some lovely meals courtesy of DD and OH -it was so good to be able to spend a whole weekend with them.

I love The White Company stretch jersey, long- sleeved nighties. They had a sale so I got one for 40% off plus I bought a new bathroom spray and they gave me an extra 15% off on both items as I'm on their mailing list. . Also treated myself to a Lipstick Queen lipstick in Space NK - just the shade I've been looking for! The Charlotte Tilbury make up stand in John Lewis is beautiful but I was very good and restrained myself!

We went to see the new Blade Runner. I was really looking forward to it - we watched the original first to get us in the mood! But we were all very disappointed in the new film though. Overlong ( if any film deserved a proper "director's cut" in length it was this one!), ponderous - I'd heard the CGI and the look of the film was outstanding but wasn't any better than most sci-fi going around. Shame because the original was groundbreaking.

Also finished a book called The Party by Elizabeth Day. A sort of Talented Mr Ripley for our times! Very enjoyable!

Should be back home for early afternoon then more washing and ironing!

SSG x

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 9th Oct 17, 3:51 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 2,008 Thanks
    redofromstart
    HHoD - PC is usually pine cone research. Google for a sign up banner, £3 a time for short surveys
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 10th Oct 17, 11:45 AM
    • 906 Posts
    • 4,726 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Thanks for clarifying redo - I filled out the form but they confirmed I'm not in their demographic at the moment, but they will revisit in a few weeks time.

Other surveys in the doldrums at the moment. Nothing from PA since my payout, trudging away still with OnePoll though did finally get one YouGov last night.

When I got back yesterday did my unpacking, washing and ironing. Settled down then and watched "Alien: Covenant" which is a sci-fi I did actually enjoy!

I'm going out this afternoon to Aldi to stock up - will be making a tomato and basil sauce to go with pasta and which will stretch to a few dinners. Heard good things of the Aldi candles which are supposed to be a very good take on Jo Malone so will buy one if in stock to try out. Should save absolute oodles if they are any good!

SSG x

• reality_check
    • By reality_check 10th Oct 17, 12:45 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,403 Thanks
    reality_check
    They are nothing like Jo Malone SSG, but a decent candle for the money, scent pay off is alright and burns all the way down unlike other cheap candles. I like going to TKMAXX for candles, right now I have theee nicest candle ever burning in my bathroom, Pecksniffs Bourbon & Mandarin, it's a 3 wick candle, meant to be £40 I got for £7.99!! It smells like a very very good looking man! xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 10th Oct 17, 4:28 PM
    • 4,636 Posts
    • 26,033 Thanks
    in need of direction
    so does my OH but that's due to his liking for creed aventus!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,993.50, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,035.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £90/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 6/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • reality_check
    • By reality_check 10th Oct 17, 6:15 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 1,403 Thanks
    reality_check
    INOD - that's what my OH wears and I love it! I don't think you can get a nicer smell on a man! xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 10th Oct 17, 7:20 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 4,726 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Creed Aventus candle anyone?!

I didn't go to Aldi in the end - decided to do a big shop online via Tesco. So the Aldi candle will have to wait. I will have a look in TKMax though reality at the Pecksniff candles as they sound really cheap. We have a large TKMax near to where I work but I rarely go in there as it's always heaving at lunchtime but I think I will pop in on my way to work and have a look.

Talking of candles, scents etc., I heard that the luxury candle/ fragrance firm Diptyque has just brought out a car diffuser. I had a look online and it was £35 in John Lewis but had already sold out! The one reviewer of it on the JL website wasnt very happy though as she had bought it then found out that you had to buy the fragrance sachet separate and that was £25! It's quite a lot to pay out but I was thinking of a Xmas pressie for DSis. She adores Diptyque and this is the sort of thing that would go down a storm with her. Perhaps DD and I could get one thing each......

Talking of Xmas I did make a start today. DD saw some earrings in The White Company that she liked at the weekend but they only had the display set left. I had a 15% discount code indoors so I ordered them today together with their large Fir Tree candle and room spray which she loves. Also got free delivery and put it through quidco though I'll probably get knocked back as I used the discount code.

I also generally buy DD and OH a joint Xmas pressie for the home - she mentioned a nice basket to hold logs as they had a wood burner fitted in their living room earlier in the year. So I emailed them some links today and they're going to have an "imagineering" session ( as OH calls it!) tonight and let me know!

Oh the joys of the Xmas pressie selection!

SSG x

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 10th Oct 17, 7:34 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 2,304 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Just been reading some of your diary. It's my ambition to save around £10000 before I am 60 but need to be debt free first , I have 5 years to do both.
    Aug 2017 CC1 £3549 CC 2 £1000

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 10th Oct 17, 7:36 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 2,304 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    That's spooky I commented on your diary and then realised you had done the same on mine! Meant to be obviously.
    Aug 2017 CC1 £3549 CC 2 £1000

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 10th Oct 17, 7:49 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 4,726 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi there Cumbria Lass - I was lucky in that I received extra cash from work which helped with both clearing my debt and the emergency fund but it's do-able. Originally I was spending willy- nilly on everything for years - I'm not in a bad position now but I should be a lot better off than I am. I'll never be that person that scrimps down to the bone but one day realising that I was £33000 in debt with not a lot to show for it, plus retirement hurtling towards me was a real wake-up call. And having that emergency fund now gives me such peace of mind.

I'm sure you'll finish your pesky debt and have that lovely EF before your five years is up - we'll have a virtual party then!

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 10th Oct 17, 7:50 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 4,726 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    That's spooky I commented on your diary and then realised you had done the same on mine! Meant to be obviously.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Spooky indeed! Well we are approaching Halloween!

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 10th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Wow Christmas shopping already SSG, it's nice to get some of that organised

Glad you had a lovely weekend with DD.
    • Purplebonnie
    • By Purplebonnie 11th Oct 17, 7:37 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    Purplebonnie
    Sounds like you had a great holiday and weekend away. I too love The White Co, am currently looking at some little dressing gowns for my granddaughter's for Christmas. Enjoy the rest of your time of work.
    September 2017 Total Debt £37188.89 / DFD 01/05/22
    October 2017 Debt £36149.48 / DFD 01/04/22
    Extra Payments : 0.1% = £37.19 Total paid 0.3%
    MBNA - £5350.73

October Food Budget : £200/£114.94 Extra Income £100 /£81.06
    SFD : 8/31 Weight Loss (Goal 8lbs) :
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 11th Oct 17, 5:34 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 4,726 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Thanks Hairy and purplebonnie! DSis loves White Company children's nightwear for DNephew. She buys his pyjamas either in the sale or when she has a discount code but says they wash so well compared to other cheaper brands. I think that as well with the nighties - they feel better the more you wash them!

Today is my last day of holiday so back to work tomorrow. . I've really enjoyed my two weeks off and think that having some breaks away and days at home will perhaps be my default fortnight holiday time in future.

I've done all my housework today and won't have to bother at the weekend!

I've renewed my annual season ticket on my M&S credit card so have made about £7 here in M&S vouchers and will claim the cost back when I return to work. Have a nail appointment later this evening - £25. Also renewed my contents insurance today - £65.31.

Gym tomorrow night after work and then a bit of a spendy weekend. Out for dinner with friends Friday evening, lunch with other friend on Saturday and going to a charity gig Saturday night as my friend's daughter is singing, but at least I have already bought my ticket for this

SSG x

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

290Posts Today

2,033Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin