Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CheerfulPlum
    • By CheerfulPlum 18th Sep 16, 11:29 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    CheerfulPlum
    PCN residential parking UKPC
    • 18th Sep 16, 11:29 AM
    PCN residential parking UKPC 18th Sep 16 at 11:29 AM
    Hi so I've been lurking in the forum for a while and I thought it was time for my first thread!

I've recently received 2 PCNs from UKPC for 'Parking without a valid permit'. A little bit of background:

Was visiting my girlfriend who lives in a flat with an allocated parking space, the residential car park is behind 2 separate gates with different codes on them (So quite secure!). I parked in the allocated space and received 2 tickets on separate occasions for 'Parking without a valid permit'. I do actually have a valid permit but it wasn't on display when the tickets were issued. I had permission from the resident of the flat to park in their space. Surely the purpose of the parking scheme is to stop unauthorised people parking but as I was authorised by the resident of the flat then that is okay?

So I ignored the window ticket, waited for the notice to keeper, when this came through I wrote a letter to UKPC appealing both PCNs stating that:
    • I Permission for the occupier of the space to park there
    • £90 for parking there was an extortionate amount to charge as it was a residents car park and free to park and there was no loss to the land owner or occupier
    • I was not causing any obstruction to the parking of anyone else

In my letter I requested a few things:
    • A copy of the contract between UKPC and the landowner
    • Full details of who owned the land I parked on
    • A copy of the protocol UKPC uses to handle personal data (This was more to be annoying )
    • A POPLA code should my appeal fail
    • A breakdown of costs for my parking

None of the above things were provided, instead I got a letter from Debt Recovery Plus a couple of weeks later!

I sent another snottier letter mentioning I got a letter from DRP rather than a response from them. I once again asked for the items I requested in my previous letter and I received a letter back asking to show evidence of a permit, I sent them photos of the permit.

After a few days I got a standard letter back saying my appeal had been rejected with some POPLA codes.

The only thing from my previous letters they mentioned was that they couldn't provide me with the contract as it had a 'Confidentially Clause' they didn't respond to any other points other than giving me POPLA codes.

So now I've got my code and a couple of weeks to appeal with POPLA what are my main appeal points? And do you think my case is strong enough to win?

Cheers!
    Last edited by CheerfulPlum; 18-09-2016 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Lists!
Page 1
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 18th Sep 16, 11:31 AM
    • 23,620 Posts
    • 28,901 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 18th Sep 16, 11:31 AM
    • 18th Sep 16, 11:31 AM
    Check with GF to see what her deeds/lease says about parking.
    Millies due back at Christmas.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 18th Sep 16, 12:00 PM
    • 3,557 Posts
    • 3,942 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 18th Sep 16, 12:00 PM
    • 18th Sep 16, 12:00 PM
    CheerfulPlum ... You are dealing with a highly unethical company in UKPC. When they refuse to answer questions, it probably means they have no answers.

A 'Confidentially Clause' is fine as long as what they are hiding is not detrimental to others.

This is a wheeze used by UKPC before.

The question is, do they have permission to operate in the manner they are doing.

So now, you need to contact the landowner or management of the site explaining what UKPC has said. The fact that UKPC are hiding behind such a clause allows them to attempt to extort money from you.
    Make the landowner/mamagement company fully aware that failure to provide such information as to the validity of UKPC and the terms, if it goes to court, you will have no option but to involve them providing a statement of truth to the court.

Ask them the cancel the ticket before it reaches this stage
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 18th Sep 16, 12:05 PM
    • 38,245 Posts
    • 49,711 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 18th Sep 16, 12:05 PM
    • 18th Sep 16, 12:05 PM
    So now I've got my code and a couple of weeks to appeal with POPLA what are my main appeal points? And do you think my case is strong enough to win?
    Possibly on the signage being unclear and perhaps a lack of photo evidence that the car was near a legible sign where £90 was in large lettering.

Show us UKPC's photos from their webpage, showing the two parking events, or send me a pm and I will take a look at the photos for you (others will confirm you can trust me).
    PCN in a private car park in England/Wales? DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

USE THE 'FORUM JUMP' ON RIGHT, GO TO THE PARKING TICKETS FORUM. READ THE 'NEWBIES' THREAD.
    Do NOT read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 18th Sep 16, 12:08 PM
    • 3,557 Posts
    • 3,942 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 18th Sep 16, 12:08 PM
    • 18th Sep 16, 12:08 PM

Show us UKPC's photos from their webpage, showing the two parking events, or send me a pm and I will take a look at the photos for you (others will confirm you can trust me).
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    YES confirmation that C-M is genuine and trustworthy. Hated by PPC's, adored by people like you
    Last edited by beamerguy; 18-09-2016 at 12:12 PM.

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 18th Sep 16, 12:34 PM
    • 3,557 Posts
    • 3,942 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 18th Sep 16, 12:34 PM
    • 18th Sep 16, 12:34 PM
    Hi Coupon-Mad,

If you got the the UKPC appeals website here:

And enter:

EDITED
    Originally posted by CheerfulPlum
    I suggest you quickly edit your post with the numbers and reg removed. UKPC read this forum as it scares them to bits.

PM coupon-mad with them, but not on a public forum
    Last edited by beamerguy; 18-09-2016 at 12:38 PM.

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • CheerfulPlum
    • By CheerfulPlum 18th Sep 16, 12:36 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CheerfulPlum
    • 18th Sep 16, 12:36 PM
    • 18th Sep 16, 12:36 PM
    Sorry Coupon-Mad have now PMed you
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 18th Sep 16, 12:39 PM
    • 38,245 Posts
    • 49,711 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 18th Sep 16, 12:39 PM
    • 18th Sep 16, 12:39 PM
    Have not yet seen a pm but I did clear a space.

USE THE 'FORUM JUMP' ON RIGHT, GO TO THE PARKING TICKETS FORUM. READ THE 'NEWBIES' THREAD.

• The Deep
    • By The Deep 18th Sep 16, 12:51 PM
    • 5,259 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 18th Sep 16, 12:51 PM
    • 18th Sep 16, 12:51 PM
    Is your g/f a tenant or a leaseholder. If the latter, what does the lease say about the parking space? Is any mention made of permits?

You should not approach the M/A and your g/f should only do so if she is the leaseholder. If she is a tenant she should complain to her landlord.

Does the sign say "Authorised uses only"? If so the you have been authorised.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • CheerfulPlum
    • By CheerfulPlum 18th Sep 16, 1:15 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CheerfulPlum
    Okay Coupon-Mad that should have sent that time. Not sure what happened...

Thanks for your help
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 22nd Sep 16, 1:20 AM
    • 38,245 Posts
    • 49,711 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    OK I had a look and the signs in that covered, dark car park are nowhere near your car, no signs at all on the wall and corner where the car was parked. You cannot possibly see the terms at that place nor assume there might be any. The sign that is over the other side is not only unreadable but has what looks like white tape covering some wording. The £90 is in the smallest typeface used on the sign - wonder why??!!

Have a look at the POPLA Decisions thread (top of this forum board) from last week where I've added some template POPLA appeal points and today added an extra one, written by IanMSpencer, which has valid points about why a £90 or £100 (whatever, depends on the case) charge in a secure residents' car park is unconscionable as it is clearly set to punish residents and their valid visitors.

Anyway, you can also find examples of UKPC POPLA appeals of course just by searching the forum for 'POPLA UKPC' but the template versions written last week in the POPLA Decisions thread should assist you to include the most detailed and recent wording.

I do hope you didn't wait for the NTK then appeal giving away who the driver was? That was a mess, if so and you were lucky to get a POPLA code at all as that stage is NOT for 'driver appeal'. If you did say who was driving then you've thrown in the bin any POPLA appeal points about the POFA/keeper liability of course, which reduces your options to the usual other points you will find.

Show us your draft.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,243Posts Today

8,449Users online

Martin's Twitter