Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BeTheChange
    • By BeTheChange 18th Sep 16, 10:33 AM
    • 17Posts
    • 29Thanks
    BeTheChange
    Be the change you wish to see
    • 18th Sep 16, 10:33 AM
    Be the change you wish to see 18th Sep 16 at 10:33 AM
    Part of a quote apparently incorrectly attributed to Ghandi and relates to the world. I don't want to change the world but I do want to change me and I thought this was apt as it is only by me doing something different that I will see a change. Sitting around thinking I want things to be another way won't make that happen.

So what do I want to be different? I want my debt (over £50k ) gone, I want to drink less (over a bottle of wine per day), I want a clean and tidy house, I want energy and enthusiasm for life back .

How will I make that happen? It's fair to say I have had half hearted attempts in the past but now I need to get serious, only 3 more years and I reach the half century. I have set up a DMP which will see me debt free in just under 7years. Thank you to those on the DMP thread whose advice and guidance helped me take that step . I want that to be quicker but right now I am happy that the debt is not increasing and that I can now open post without feeling sick and sleep at night.

There are other areas that need my attention and I think sorting those will help put me in a better place to tackle the debt. With regards to alcohol I have tried the only at weekends, only a glass an evening etc but soon lapse so I am setting a challenge of 100 days without alcohol. Hence why I have started this diary as I know from being a long time lurker that there are many lovely supportive people on here and I am hoping that with a little of that support and the accountability of updating my diary daily I will get the motivation and strength to see it through.

I will post my daily to do list on here. I have become so lazy and a master of procrastination so anyone reading please give me a kick up the backside if you see me slacking.

The final step at the moment is to do a daily HHH - Half Hour Housework. Not setting a rigid schedule but just to do half an hour of anything to keep on top of things and not have that heart sinking and embarrassing feeling when people turn up and the place is a tip.

Well that's it for starters except to post todays to do list:
    Return unwanted clothes
    Buy last couple of bits for DS who is off to Uni (budgeted for)
    Set up final standing orders for DMP
Page 1
    • BeTheChange
    • By BeTheChange 18th Sep 16, 6:54 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    BeTheChange
    • 18th Sep 16, 6:54 PM
    • 18th Sep 16, 6:54 PM
    Off to a good start - have completed my to do list for today, done my HHH and settled in for the evening with a cup of tea so I am declaring successful completion of day 2 of my 100 day challenge. I started yesterday but wanted to sleep on things before I started my diary.

To do list for tomorrow is:
    Pay for DD's college trip - budgeted for
    Clear out the coat closet - can't close the door at the moment there is that much in there and there are only 3 of us in the house:
    Me who works fulltime
    DS who is heading off for first year at Uni next weekend
    DD who has just started first year of college
    Hopefully there will be some items that are saleable.

I won't set anymore than that as it is my first day back to work after a few days off so there will be lots to catch up on and may be a long day!

A good evening to anyone who has taken the time to read.
    • BeTheChange
    • By BeTheChange 19th Sep 16, 9:30 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    BeTheChange
    • 19th Sep 16, 9:30 PM
    • 19th Sep 16, 9:30 PM
    Evening Diary

Well it was the long first day back at work that I expected but when I got home I set my timer and did my HHH. Which to be honest was mainly resetting the house back to tidy after kids had disrupted it. I am counting down the days til my DS tootles off to Uni. I will miss him but there are some things I won't - dirty clothes and dishes left lying around just two of them!

I have completed To Do List:
    Pay for DD's college trip - done
    Clear out the coat closet - done and 2 items that are saleable
    AFD number 3

Had hoped for a NSD but had to buy milk for my tea at work. Need to add that to my weekly food shop so it isn't a separate buy.

I am eagerly awaiting payday on 27th of this month as it means I make my first DMP payments and finally start to reduce my debt rather than increase it after what has been about a decade and a bit! I wish I could cite tragic circumstances that led me to such a huge amount of debt but the sad reality is I just overspent on general living. Meals out, clothes, basically not saying 'No' to friends, family, kids and most importantly myself. Consolidating, spending again, consolidating, spending again, robbing Peter to pay Paul until there was no more room for manoeuvre.

Starting the DMP is a big relief and feels like a proper fresh start. No worries about whether cards will be accepted or dreading looking at statements. Now the statements will just show numbers decreasing and if I stick to my budgets then will no longer have the Feast and Famine scenario of the past. Rich at payday spending lots in first week or so of month and scraping money together at the end of the month to buy food. Going from Steak to beans on toast!

OK tomorrows To Do List:
    Sort out the make-up and toiletries in my bedroom

Okay that's it for this evening - nite diary.
    • BeTheChange
    • By BeTheChange 19th Sep 16, 10:02 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    BeTheChange
    • 19th Sep 16, 10:02 PM
    • 19th Sep 16, 10:02 PM
    ooh forgot to say I found 33p whilst clearing out coats which I have put in my spare change collection pot
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 19th Sep 16, 10:19 PM
    • 7,102 Posts
    • 46,331 Thanks
    Bobarella
    • 19th Sep 16, 10:19 PM
    • 19th Sep 16, 10:19 PM
    Good luck with your mission Be the Change
    £1025 to pay =62% repaid
    RR 2016 #2 September £3.17 2016-£36.36 2015- £84.20)
    Wombling Free 2016#5 £1028.01 2015 £1027.20
    NST September 3 3/16
    PAYDBX #7 £1665.46/£2,700 (62%)
    GC Sept £217.42/£300
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 20th Sep 16, 9:15 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    • 20th Sep 16, 9:15 AM
    • 20th Sep 16, 9:15 AM
    Well done for taking the first steps and being honest with yourself. Take every day at a time, keep it up and you will get there.
    • BeTheChange
    • By BeTheChange 20th Sep 16, 11:49 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    BeTheChange
    • 20th Sep 16, 11:49 PM
    • 20th Sep 16, 11:49 PM
    Thank you Bobarella and Toni'sfriend

It's a late night for me so just a quick pop in to say achieved AFD No. 4, my HHH and my To Do List.

I am feeling more positive as each day goes by and have had some different thoughts about my budget and tackling debt. But as it is so late I will share those another day.

Tomorrows To Do List:
    Tidy my bedroom wardrobe
    • BeTheChange
    • By BeTheChange 21st Sep 16, 7:47 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    BeTheChange
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:47 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 7:47 PM
    Grrr I am struggling to have a NSD. I have moved to doing weekly meal planning and shopping, this was my first week and I underestimated on things like milk and salad stuff. Oh well will tweak the shop for next week and I will get there! In all fairness I had come under budget so not the end of the world.

So HHH complete, To do list (all of one item!) completed, an AFD so successfully achieved day 5 of my 100 day challenge

As a result of sorting wardrobe put 4 items on Gumtree for sale. Fingers crossed for some interest.

On the money saving front I have also completely cancelled our SKY package. I was on the basic package which had gone to normal price a couple of months a go after a discount from previously threatening to leave. This time they offered a slight discount but have decided to do completely without. I know many would say it should have gone sooner but hey better late than never.

So in one of my early posts - not that there have been that many! I said I was happy with DMP payments and taking the scenic route to clearing debts. However as the week has gone on I have been motivated by other peoples diaries and their determination to get rid of the debt as quickly as possible so I am going to scrimp and save where I can to put the money aside to pay off my debts quicker. Hence ditching the SKY.

The other driver is that I have been unhappy at my work for some time and not having the weight of the huge debt holding me back could potentially open up other opportunities. Early retirement would be the top of the list - one can but dream

I will put any money I save into another account so that I can hopefully pay off the smaller debts and then further down the road attempt some discounted full and final settlements on the bigger ones

To Do List for tomorrow:
    Clean the fridge ready for food shop being delivered on Fri
    Tidy my bedroom chest of drawers - they have become a little un-Kondoe'd

Right time to make a cuppa and then settle down to watch Great British Bake-off in peace as both kids are out

Enjoy your evening everyone.
    • mandz1
    • By mandz1 21st Sep 16, 9:19 PM
    • 2,191 Posts
    • 9,527 Thanks
    mandz1
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:19 PM
    • 21st Sep 16, 9:19 PM
    Good luck bethechange

Congrats on the alcohol free days and getting the housework done, little and often is the best way to start. I love a good list. Keep going and keep strong

Good luck, I will subscribe and keep up with your journey
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 22nd Sep 16, 9:24 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    You are doing so well. Really impressed with your AFD. Something I need to think about as well but as I'm going on holiday probably being a bit optimistic to start right now but when I come back......I've also subscribed to your diary and will follow your progress with interest. Keep up the good work.
    • BeTheChange
    • By BeTheChange 22nd Sep 16, 9:14 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    BeTheChange
    Hi Mandz1 and thank you for joining my diary It is certainly working so far doing a little bit of housework every day. I am less of a stresshead when the house is tidy!

Toni'sfriend - there is no way I would be jumping on the wagon if I was going on hols. Maybe that is a little silver lining to being so in debt - no hols for me on the horizon to lead me astray I am going to sign up to the Giving up/cutting down alcohol support thread for October as although I have found this week relatively easy I know it won't always remain so.

So for the daily challenge update - Day 6 completed alcohol free, HHH done but only one item from my to do list which is the fridge all nice and clean ready for food shop tomorrow. I am toooo tired today to tackle my chest of drawers.

On a money saving note my weekly grocery budget runs to a Thursday and I have come in £8.89 under budget this week so I have moved it into my slush fund. I will look to move money to my debt busting fund but I want to see how things go this month before I commit it to there. It's early days with this new budgeting malarkey.

To help keep me on track I have signed up to the Grocery Challenge on the Old Style Forum and I will set up my signature over the weekend so I can track everything there.

My to do list for tomorrow will be ensuring DS has everything packed and ready for Uni as we leave early Saturday morning to take him there. He is very excited about it I have been trying to give advice on budgeting and I think some of it may have sunk in. When opening up his student bank account they offered him a credit card which he declined - very pleased at that

Right - have a good rest of the evening everyone. BTC
    • BeTheChange
    • By BeTheChange 23rd Sep 16, 8:45 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    BeTheChange
    Challenge Day 7
    HHH complete
    TDL - done
    AFD
    NSD - Finally!

So when I set myself the 100 day challenge it was a spur of the moment decision last Friday night. What I didn't work out until last night is that day 100 is Christmas Day. Well it will certainly be a novelty experiencing sobriety on Christmas day!

Tomorrow taking DS to Uni and will be away most of the day so that will be my TDL (yes I know a bit of a cop out!) will stick with the HHH and of course will be an AFD.
    • BeTheChange
    • By BeTheChange 24th Sep 16, 8:10 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    BeTheChange
    Challenge Day 8
    Very quick update as been a very loooong day.

Shipped DS off to uni and have had an AFD but failed to get my HHH in as too late and am going to chill with a cup of tea and watch the brutally that is the X-factor 6 seat challenge.
    • BeTheChange
    • By BeTheChange 24th Sep 16, 8:11 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    BeTheChange
    I mean brutality!
    • BeTheChange
    • By BeTheChange 25th Sep 16, 9:50 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    BeTheChange
    Day 9 nearly at a close and not the best of days challenge and money wise.

No HHH as just so tired today and had unplanned spending. DD had eye test and needed new glasses - ouch!

It has however been an AFD and I have made some meals for the freezer

So To Do List for tomorrow:
    Extra HHH to make up for weekend shortfall
    Sort out my bedroom chest of drawers
    Set next months budget

Nite all
    • BeTheChange
    • By BeTheChange 26th Sep 16, 10:50 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    BeTheChange
    Where do the evenings go? It's so late already! So a quick update.

Day 10 of the challenge so now 10% of the way through

HHH and extra HHH completed
    Budget set for October - ouch it's tight
    Didn't get to do the chest of drawers
    But AFD no. 10 successfully completed

I know I don't write much about debt busting but not drinking alcohol is saving an average of £8 per day.

Keeping on top of the housework means I am happy to chill at home and not slope off to the shops and spend to avoid having to deal when the mess.

So tomorrow's To Do List:
    The pesky set of drawers in my room that I still haven't got round to. Will leave it at that to make sure they get done.
    • natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 27th Sep 16, 9:27 AM
    • 2,460 Posts
    • 2,167 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    £8 X 7 days = £56 a week

£56 a week x 52 = £2912 a year!

Also, for the 100 day challenge .... £800.00 saved!!

If that's not debt-busting I am not sure what is!!
    LBM ,- Wed 19th Nov 2008 £21,225 PAID OFF
    *DEBT FREE 28th September 2015*
    *2016 cashback pending £78.90 PAID £146.16*
    (2011=£137.30, 12=£66.39, 13=£102.61, 14=£214.97, 15=£159.51)
    Pro.Ac £19.42 + £20.12 paid
    SAVINGS TO CLEAR STUDENT LOAN £105.00

• BeTheChange
    • By BeTheChange 27th Sep 16, 10:14 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    BeTheChange
    Thank you Natsplatnat - when you put it like that it sounds good and is just the motivation needed to keep going.

So day 11 completed and it has been an NSD Met a friend for lunch and had my budgeted cash but they paid. Will be my turn next time.

Another AFD under my belt and completed my HHH and the bedroom drawers of doom are restored to Kondo peace!

Tomorrows To Do List:
    Online gas and electric meter readings
    Meal plan for next 2 weeks
    • BeTheChange
    • By BeTheChange 28th Sep 16, 10:56 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    BeTheChange
    Day 12 successfully completed.
    AFD
    HHH complete
    Meter readings submitted. Bizarrely the app now shows that they have reversed my last two invoices and I am now £638 in credit. I wish! I am sure by morning they will have reversed back again.
    Meal plans complete, food shop being delivered tomorrow and well within budget.

I bought a bottle of alcohol free Chenin Blanc today to see if it is something I can take as a substitute to friends etc. Had half a glass and poured it down the sink. Totally vile supersweet nastiness. Will stick to my cheapo flavoured fizzy waters lower in cost and calories!

To do list for tomorrow:
    Set timer for half an hour and see how much blitzing I can do in DS bedroom. When the door is open it still smells of teenage boy on the landing!! Bring on the bleach!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,300Users online

Martin's Twitter