Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ollie345
    • By Ollie345 18th Sep 16, 9:05 AM
    • 19Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Ollie345
    Cheap car with good mpg, low tax and reliable?
    • 18th Sep 16, 9:05 AM
    Cheap car with good mpg, low tax and reliable? 18th Sep 16 at 9:05 AM
    I have an old car which only does 30 mpg and tax costs about £240 a year.
    Thinking about changing it and looking for ideas, any suggestions? Mainly just myself driving. Also considering a 125 bike but car is better if it rains!
Page 2
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 20th Sep 16, 1:47 PM
    • 1,075 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    At 5,000 miles a year your currently buying 750 ltrs of fuel @ £1.05 per liter your spending around £780 + £240 VED.

If you want a 45mpg car then you will only save £225 a year on fuel and maybe £120 VED.

So unless your current car is heading for a big bill stick with it...if you decide to change then running costs and VED shouldnt be one of the reasons - especially with only doing 5,000 miles a year.
    • Ollie345
    • By Ollie345 20th Sep 16, 10:01 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ollie345
    Lol what is it with golf gti's. I was considering something small like a lion, arosa, the iq could be an option.
    Agreed probably cheaper to stick with what I have but I do like a change every few years.
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 21st Sep 16, 8:20 AM
    • 653 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    lcc86
    Lol what is it with golf gti's. I was considering something small like a lion, arosa, the iq could be an option.
    Agreed probably cheaper to stick with what I have but I do like a change every few years.
    Originally posted by Ollie345
    I still look at them online now - I'll never learn! But as someone else has worked out, perhaps financially it's not worthwhile, I had to change as I needed a reliable car for a new job, but if your car is happily pottering about maybe just keep it until such time as it's not worth doing so.
    1/12/14 total £9,140 Today £5,238 42.6% paid

£1127 saved towards 'The Move' as of September 2016 £80 saved towards citizenship £100 saved towards Xmas 2016
    • DragonQ
    • By DragonQ 21st Sep 16, 11:20 AM
    • 1,956 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    DragonQ
    Fuel economy is great but it's rarely going to actually cover the cost of the car. My new car is about twice as efficient as my old car but that still only saves me maybe £500 a year. The savings in VED are wiped out by the increase in insurance costs. If I keep the car for 5 years then that's still £2.5k but the car cost 4 times that.

If you're looking to replace a car anyway then certainly consider fuel costs, but don't use that as a reason to replace the car to begin with.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 21st Sep 16, 3:29 PM
    • 23,660 Posts
    • 28,954 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    Is that always true? I went from a Daihatsu Charade to my Picanto and saved about £50 on insurance, £200 plus on the VED and about £125 per year petrol (based on 5000 per year.)
    Millies due back at Christmas.
    • omega1987
    • By omega1987 22nd Sep 16, 10:15 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    omega1987
    The problem with many eco cars now is that although they achieve excellent fuel economy they are so complicated that a single breakdown can wipe out any fuel saving.

Personally I would avoid anything with direct injection (carbon build up is common), duel mass flywheels and turbos.

I currently drive a Citroen C1, its averaging 62 MPG on my 16 mile commute and it has free road tax. It's very reliable (Toyota engine) and consumables like tyres are some of the cheapest on the road.

I also had a Honda CBF 125 that did 125 MPG and cost just £15 to tax but the 2500 mile service intervals quickly became annoying.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,300Users online

Martin's Twitter