Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessavyfav
    • By lessavyfav 17th Sep 16, 9:41 PM
    • 169Posts
    • 200Thanks
    lessavyfav
    The Next Chapter: Our Dream House Fund
    • 17th Sep 16, 9:41 PM
    The Next Chapter: Our Dream House Fund 17th Sep 16 at 9:41 PM
    So, I've been married for two weeks now (which was the most fun, amazing day), a wonderful honeymoon in The Maldives, and now back at home, going back to work on Monday — yep, the honeymoon is definitely over!

The next step for us is to continue saving for a deposit of our first home. Now, a little secret: I spent more than I wanted to on the wedding (paying extra little things for my mum, bridesmaid, flowers, taxis for family members visiting from abroad), and because my other half already outlaid more money than I did on the wedding, I don't want him to have to bail me out of the extra costs I put on my CC, to the tune of around 2400. He knows I've got an outstanding debt, but not of the exact amount because it makes me pretty embarrassed to be honest. I have a diary over at the Debt Free Diary section but I've started a new one here as I want to start afresh, and am hoping I'll be able to pay off the CC relatively quickly.

After reading MSE, I discovered the lifeline that is balance transfer credit cards — so I've sent everything over to a Barclaycard for the next 21 months to give me some breathing space. I lowered my CC1 credit limit from 4k to 1400 and the balance transfer card from 6k to 4k. I've had CC2 for a few years, but it has a super low limit and high APR, so I'm going to cancel it this week.

I have been saving an emergency fund (100 a month), as well as towards a Help to Buy fund with 200 a month, so that's forced savings, but I know I need to do more. Next month will be a tough one - husband's birthday and my parents are pressuring me to meet them in Europe (they're visiting from Australia) but from Christmas, it should hopefully be smooth sailing.

I know I need to be more disciplined: better with the grocery budget (which I look after), making an effort with eBay, and spending less on dinners with friends. Time to get my a$$ into gear: here's to the next chapter.
    Emergency fund in regular saver account 1100/1000 (110% there)
    0% Balance Transfer (May 2018) 959.94/2524.94 (38% there)
    Joint house deposit over 100% there
Page 3
    • lessavyfav
    • By lessavyfav 20th Jan 17, 1:37 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    lessavyfav
    More than a week since my last journal entry - oops!

Money-wise, doing....o-kay. It was always going to be ambitious, and I'm now down to 27ish in my 'fun' spends account, which is supposed to last me another week. Do-able with a few NSDs thrown in, but just remembered I'm getting my hair done a day before payday, so theoretically I won't have enough in there. Will have to take from my savings and then pay it back.

In good news, I've been offered a new role, which is very exciting! I'm still waiting on the final details of the salary package, but think it will be around what I'm on currently or slightly more. Which I am happy with as my wage is so much better now than it was a couple of years back! The role is a step up in terms of responsibility and really interesting company. Am yet to sign a contract but should know by Monday. Work has been particularly painful for the past couple of months so I don't think resigning will bother me too much - although my boss is a lovely person, I feel bad for him.

Almost reached my emergency fund goal, so I'll have to think about what my next one is; perhaps a joint 3-6 month emergency fund, or maybe new car fund as we'll need one once we move out to the sticks.

7 days till payday, bring it!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 20th Jan 17, 3:08 PM
    • 12,474 Posts
    • 45,815 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on new job role. Yay.

Can you change your hair appointment to the day or week of payday? It's ok as you do have the money in your savings fund anyway.

Hurray. We are all staying on track so far.
    Savings Fund(Nov 2017) 7000/8000 84%
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017) 60/600
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • lessavyfav
    • By lessavyfav 20th Jan 17, 4:43 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    lessavyfav
    Thanks!

And the offer has come through, for a little more money than I am on now I can't complain! Lots of soft perks too, like free lunches 1 day a week, free breakfast, fruit baskets, etc.

Hooray! I'm in a very good mood
    • lessavyfav
    • By lessavyfav 27th Jan 17, 3:16 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    lessavyfav
    Payday today, what a relief!!

Spotted a big mistake on my payslip — almost a grand taken from my pay slowly over the past few months — so I'll be getting that back hopefully today. Gotta use it to pay myself back for my hair (which cost way more than it usually does, they've upped their prices ), also I dipped into my savings to pay a tax bill so I'll reimburse for that too. I will have leftover money, so I'll pop it all back into the savings. I'm being so disciplined!

My final payslip at the end of next month will be pretty decent as I have some holiday owed to me, then go straight into my new role. !!! it's getting addictive! Can't wait till we're on the property ladder and I can start to funnel my money into investments and pretty things for the house
    • lessavyfav
    • By lessavyfav 27th Jan 17, 9:23 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    lessavyfav
    I've just realised that this month I hit my 1,000 EF and will also get over 4,000 in my H2B ISA. How exciting!

Going to make myself some goals for the next month:
    - Keep on cooking more veg food and try new recipes. Next up: Anna Jones' crumble-topped sweet leeks leftovers pie
    - Deep clean a room or two of our house starting with our bedroom. I can tell there's dust as my allergies are playing up, and can see a few webs lurking up high. Flip the mattress, too.
    - Avoid eating rubbish food. This week, in particular, I've been eating greasy, gross food and now I'm feeling pretty rubbish.
    - I already go to pilates but I should head to the gym and do a class a week. I have about 40 credit on a pay as you go plan near my work gym and should take advantage of it before I leave.
    - Save as much as possible!

I stayed in tonight and this weekend will be a quiet one, so low spends there. But February is looking socially VERY busy so far!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 27th Jan 17, 10:21 PM
    • 12,474 Posts
    • 45,815 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on finding mistake on payslip. Crumbs that's scary. Really well done on all the savings and eating healthily. Maybe that will inspire the rest of us. I keep eating rubbish. lol.
    • lessavyfav
    • By lessavyfav 30th Jan 17, 7:26 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    lessavyfav
    savingwannabe, if only I was eating as healthily as I should be — last week I had two days in a row of pizza and a takeaway dirty burger, which is so unlike me these days! I blame the cold weather.

Back on track today though, and feeling much better for it. Had a few spends today on some salad bits to make lunch for today and tomorrow, plus we just received a food delivery with lots of delicious and fresh looking food..this week will be a treat!
    • lessavyfav
    • By lessavyfav 31st Jan 17, 9:01 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    lessavyfav
    NSD today! Aiming for the same tomorrow, and if I'm prepared with cooking tomorrow night then Thursday will be the same.

I also joined Moneybox recently, which is an app that rounds your change up then invests it to a stocks and shares ISA. I'll be adding more money to it when I can so I'm not ripped off by the fees, but thought it would be a great way to force myself to just get on with investing! Gotta remember I'm in it for the long haul though!
    • lessavyfav
    • By lessavyfav 1st Feb 17, 9:15 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    lessavyfav
    Another NSD today!

I spent my evening baking a veg pie ready for lunch tomorrow (and a few meals beyond), so tomorrow could also be an NSD.

27 days till payday, 19 work days till the new job.
    • lessavyfav
    • By lessavyfav 3rd Feb 17, 3:13 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    lessavyfav
    Yesterday wasn't an NSD as I felt like a little snack to go alongside lunch — 2.25 spent. Today spent under a fiver for lunch so that's okay.

Feels like I'm coming down with something, so I'm glad this weekend isn't looking too busy. Just a bit of cooking and visiting a friend.

Next week's potential tube strike looks like it'll put me in a bad mood

25 days till payday, 17 days till the new job.
    • lessavyfav
    • By lessavyfav 4th Feb 17, 4:27 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    lessavyfav
    I'm having a relaxing weekend so far, hoping for a lazy evening too!

Made a delicious vegan bowl for lunch today that will definitely make a regular appearance throughout winter and autumn. So wholesome, tasty and filling!

Tomorrow I'll be making some food and bringing it with me to see a friend. Annoyingly, the trains aren't running so I'll either need to hop on a couple of buses, or get an Uber. Uber is pricier but so much faster and more convenient. Hmm.

24 days till payday! It's a big one this month
    • lessavyfav
    • By lessavyfav 7th Feb 17, 4:50 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    lessavyfav

Going to see a few properties this weekend, which is exciting. Not sure if any of them are quite right - the cheaper ones are a bit too small if we plan on staying longer term, the bigger ones would mean we're stretching ourselves to get a bigger mortgage. I have a feeling it's going to be hard slog, this house-hunting

I'm still determined to stick to my ambitious budget this month, but there's a lot of the month still to go..21 days till payday and just 15 work days till I finish up. Not long now!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 7th Feb 17, 6:44 PM
    • 12,474 Posts
    • 45,815 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    It sounds like it is v exciting looking at lots of places and getting ideas and choosing the best one for you. I hope you see some nice places.
    • lessavyfav
    • By lessavyfav 12th Feb 17, 5:03 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    lessavyfav
    Ah thanks savingwannabe, it was great property hunting, despite the snow/sleet most of the day.

There was one place at the top end of what we're looking for. we have been told we can borrow over 500,000 but for the place we're looking at, it would be less a little less. However, we're shy about 15,000 when it comes to the stamp duty/moving costs (unless we get a 5% deposit instead, but I'm not keen on that). My parents have offered to chip in the extra money for us, which is super generous of them and something we're considering. It's a bit of a change from where we looking at first (it's in London, we had been looking at commuter towns before). However, I feel better about staying in London — connected, and there are still parts that have that village feel. Working out the costs it wouldn't be a massive amount of difference (due to season train ticket being extortionate, and having to pay higher council tax and service charge where we were looking). A lot to think about, feeling a little more confused though :/

It was a cheapie weekend and we managed to get lots done off the to-do list, so feeling accomplished. Just sad I have to go to work tomorrow!

16 days till payday, 12 days of work.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 12th Feb 17, 6:19 PM
    • 12,474 Posts
    • 45,815 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done in looking and thinking about it. Sorry about the snow. Buying in London. Gosh. That's amazing. I watch lots of telly programmes about buying in London and it is very exciting.
    • lessavyfav
    • By lessavyfav 19th Feb 17, 4:50 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    lessavyfav
    savingwannabe, yes exciting to buy in London, but terribly expensive! We are fortunate that we earn good money, don't have crazy outgoings and no kids right now..so plenty of time to be saving and dare I say, the right moment to stretch ourselves (even though it's not much more than what we pay in rent).

Going to put an offer on a house tomorrow, we're nervous and excited — I hope it's accepted! It feels right, and like we could make it a proper home. Wish me luck!

I've hit my 1000 EF target, but just realised it's in a regular saver so I still have two months before it matures. The EF will most likely end up going towards our moving costs so I'll have to build it up again soon! Quite skint till payday but it's all doable as I have no social things on during the week, and will definitely bring lunch to work tomorrow. My final week at the job, I can't wait! I'm allowed to leave two days earlier so that's just 5 working days and 9 till payday.

Happy Sunday all x
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Feb 17, 4:55 PM
    • 12,474 Posts
    • 45,815 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done. It's all fallen into place. I watch 'Location, Location, Location' all the time. You are one of those people. You DID IT. Happy Sunday indeed:m oney:
    • lessavyfav
    • By lessavyfav 23rd Feb 17, 10:39 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    lessavyfav
    yay savingwannabe, so many celebration emojis! you seem to be doing very well with your savings.

More money in the H2B fund, so Ive updated my signature. Very little in my fun personal funds but I don't have much coming up this weekend so I can just about scrape by till payday.

Final day at work tomorrow, and so much to tidy up before I leave! I think I'll collapse on Saturday and mooch as much as possible. Just 5 days till payday, phew.

Right, time to pinterest more house decor blogs
    • lessavyfav
    • By lessavyfav 2nd Apr 17, 6:28 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    lessavyfav
    Doing well with the squirrelling away since my last entry. New job is good but insanely intense. Am hoping I'll get used to it, at least the work is interesting and the people are nice.

In exciting news, I'm hoping soon I will join the Mortgage Free Wannabe board. Offer accepted, mortgage offer approved, chain complete..we have a bit to go (survey later this week and 4 buyers in the chain), so I'm not counting on it being a swift process till exchange and completion — at least it gives us more time to keep saving and getting ahead. I already have plans for overpayments, renovation fund and staring over another emergency fund. How nerdy.

Our place is more than the H2B ISA threshold, which means no bonus from the government, booo. So I closed the account yesterday. Bank accounts are looking so healthy but that is all about to change soon

Very much looking forward to a little break at Easter then a longer holiday towards the end of the month. New job has got me wiped out!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 2nd Apr 17, 7:08 PM
    • 12,474 Posts
    • 45,815 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on mortgage process and I hope you have a lovely holiday. You can join lots of nice people on the MFW thread but you must say goodbye before we let you go. Or ElSE we will eat all your chocolate. lol.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,944Posts Today

6,860Users online

Martin's Twitter