Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whattochoose
    • By whattochoose 17th Sep 16, 1:48 PM
    • 135Posts
    • 16Thanks
    whattochoose
    Adobe Flash Player problems.
    • 17th Sep 16, 1:48 PM
    Adobe Flash Player problems. 17th Sep 16 at 1:48 PM
    I have a Windows Vista operating system and use Opera as my browser. When I try to check that my version of Flash Player is up to date it's telling me that my plugin wont work. I've tried re-installing but no joy I'm afraid.
    Any advice please.
    Thank you.
Page 1
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 18th Sep 16, 10:00 AM
    • 2,213 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    Fightsback
    • 18th Sep 16, 10:00 AM
    • 18th Sep 16, 10:00 AM
    Use another browser.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/opera-sold-600-million-chinese-consortium/
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
    • whattochoose
    • By whattochoose 22nd Sep 16, 7:52 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    whattochoose
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:52 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 7:52 AM
    Yes, I'm thinking about doing this. I do have Firefox, but for some reason it doesn't seem to work that well on my laptop.
    I was wondering if members have any experience of using any of these?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2898509/browsers/10-obscure-highly-specialized-browsers-that-will-make-you-forget-about-chrome-firefox-and-ie.html#slide10

Thank you.
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 22nd Sep 16, 8:46 AM
    • 2,213 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    Fightsback
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:46 AM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 8:46 AM
    Yes, I'm thinking about doing this. I do have Firefox, but for some reason it doesn't seem to work that well on my laptop...

Thank you.
    Originally posted by whattochoose
    I use Firefox (or derivatives) and Chromium (open source version of Google Chrome) on many different systems and OS architectures generally without issue.

I suspect your could be down to the condition of your operating system and/or other installed software such as antivirus even perhaps malware or adware. There are lots of different things that can cause problems so it's worth going through a basic start checklist

Some general things to do are:

1) Make sure the video drivers are up to date.

2) Windows is fully up to date

3) Make sure you are running only one AV package.

4) Run malwarebytes, choose free download but do not chose the free trial of MWB during install.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

5 ) Remove any browser plugins or addons you might have.
    • whattochoose
    • By whattochoose 22nd Sep 16, 6:39 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    whattochoose
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:39 PM
    • 22nd Sep 16, 6:39 PM
    I use Firefox (or derivatives) and

5 ) Remove any browser plugins or addons you might have.
    Originally posted by Fightsback
    Thank you for reply but won't removing any addons or plugins affect other functionality?
    • almillar
    • By almillar 23rd Sep 16, 4:04 PM
    • 6,394 Posts
    • 2,515 Thanks
    almillar
    • 23rd Sep 16, 4:04 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 4:04 PM
    If you don't know what the plug in does, remove it. If you find you need it again, reinstall it.
    If you know you need the plugin, don't remove it.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 23rd Sep 16, 4:21 PM
    • 1,206 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 23rd Sep 16, 4:21 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 4:21 PM
    Firefox is awesome .

As above, your OS is likely in a bad way.

Malwartebytes and Adw cleaner , and then reinstall firefox
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • fleshandbone
    • By fleshandbone 23rd Sep 16, 4:31 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    fleshandbone
    • 23rd Sep 16, 4:31 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 4:31 PM
    Vista is your problem
    People that correct your spelling/grammar on forums and message boards are very uninteresting...bore off!
    • spenderdave
    • By spenderdave 23rd Sep 16, 5:52 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    spenderdave
    • 23rd Sep 16, 5:52 PM
    • 23rd Sep 16, 5:52 PM
    If you look at the Opera forums you will see there are big problems with the latest update (v23.0.0.162) to Adobe Flash with that browser, and in fact many Chromium ones. See http://forums.opera.com/discussion/comment/15250073
    I also had problems with it in Palemoon, freezing on various sites and have now reverted to the long term support version 18.0.0.135.

Opera used to be a great browser but when they moved to being a Chrome clone it is not so much nowadays. But many do use it and it should not be dismissed in the way it is being done in this thread. This is absolutely nothing to do with viruses etc, it is clearly a bug in the latest version of flash.
    • Fightsback
    • By Fightsback 23rd Sep 16, 6:18 PM
    • 2,213 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    Fightsback
    If you look at the Opera forums you will see there are big problems with the latest update (v23.0.0.162) to Adobe Flash with that browser, and in fact many Chromium ones. See http://forums.opera.com/discussion/comment/15250073
    I also had problems with it in Palemoon, freezing on various sites and have now reverted to the long term support version 18.0.0.135.

Opera used to be a great browser but when they moved to being a Chrome clone it is not so much nowadays. But many do use it and it should not be dismissed in the way it is being done in this thread. This is absolutely nothing to do with viruses etc, it is clearly a bug in the latest version of flash.
    Originally posted by spenderdave
    Can't say I've seen a problem on both Linux or W10 for both the latest FF and Chromium using the latest flash. I've not tested using an Intel graphics system but seems fine on AMD/Nvidia so it could be a driver/flash interaction, not unheard of.

However complete failure of plugin loading (or otherwise) suggests another root cause for the derivative browsers you have mentioned. The original source browsers seem fine as far as I can see. Perhaps I am justified in dismissing the derivatives ?
    Last edited by Fightsback; 23-09-2016 at 6:29 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

1,273Users online

Martin's Twitter