Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bigfreddiel
    • By bigfreddiel 16th Sep 16, 6:10 PM
    • 4,071Posts
    • 1,866Thanks
    bigfreddiel
    How to lose weight - it's simple
    • 16th Sep 16, 6:10 PM
    How to lose weight - it's simple 16th Sep 16 at 6:10 PM
    For anyone wanting to lose weight this the answer and it's very simple.

Eat less - exercise a bit.

And that's it. If you really do want to lose weight just do it!

Diets do not work, that is why there are so many.

Eating less is just as easy, if not easier than following some fad or diet of the moment.

Good luck fj
Page 3
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 22nd Sep 16, 7:39 PM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 1,831 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    If it was that easy, you'd be smallfreddiel.

End of.
    Originally posted by Top Girl
    This times a million!!!😂
    • nanny beach
    • By nanny beach 23rd Sep 16, 4:04 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    nanny beach
    A bit of excersise wont cut it, There is a chart tells you how many miles you need o run/swim to burn off say a Mars bar, and its a lot. I have done Michael Mosleys Blood Sugar diet, 800 cal a day, no carb, no diary, I lost 2kg in the first 3 days, 2kg more in the first week. I wont say it was easy. He says dont use low fat "diet" stuff because it is inevitably full of sugar instead.
    • bigfreddiel
    • By bigfreddiel 23rd Sep 16, 4:46 PM
    • 4,071 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    bigfreddiel
    Actually I am smallfreddiel I only weigh in at 75kg.

You don't need to count calories, sheet common sense can tell you if you're eating too much. Use smaller plates if it's too hard for you.

And all low fat foods are loaded with sugar, I said this right at the start of my thread.

Exercise is a waste of time so don't bother wirh going to the gym, but making an effort to walk instead of using the car or lift does help by keeping you fit, well fitter than if you just sit around munching on a bag of crisps watching daytime TV!

Come on people it is easy, don't bother with fads, expensive weight watching drinks, just eat less, eat fresh, and before you know it you will lose kilos

Cheers fj
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 23rd Sep 16, 4:56 PM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 1,831 Thanks
    Anoneemoose

You don't need to count calories, sheet common sense can tell you if you're eating too much. Use smaller plates if it's too hard for you.

And all low fat foods are loaded with sugar, I said this right at the start of my thread.

Exercise is a waste of time so don't bother wirh going to the gym, but making an effort to walk instead of using the car or lift does help by keeping you fit, well fitter than if you just sit around munching on a bag of crisps watching daytime TV!

Come on people it is easy, don't bother with fads, expensive weight watching drinks, just eat less, eat fresh, and before you know it you will lose kilos

Cheers fj
    Originally posted by bigfreddiel
    What if you can't walk and struggle to cook, so much so, you have to rely on others or convenience foods?
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 25th Sep 16, 12:37 AM
    • 9,609 Posts
    • 17,206 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    What if you can't walk and struggle to cook, so much so, you have to rely on others or convenience foods?
    Originally posted by Anoneemoose
    this is me exactly. It's all well and good saying walk half an hour a day when some days I can barely crawl to the toilet! I'm not able to cook because of my disabilities and have to rely on whatever I can manage.
    What am I letting myself into Proud sponsor of a prop for the 16/17 season- welcome Mr W
    Thrilled and proud to have met my hero 13 and 15/05- thanks Fran!
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    Always Team V xx
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 25th Sep 16, 8:30 AM
    • 15,232 Posts
    • 35,327 Thanks
    Pollycat
    This is meaningless without context of height.

Almost 12 stone isn't a great weight if you're only 5 feet tall.
    'Exercise is a waste of time'?
    What do you think walking is then?
    Isn't that exercise?
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 25th Sep 16, 11:07 AM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 1,831 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    this is me exactly. It's all well and good saying walk half an hour a day when some days I can barely crawl to the toilet! I'm not able to cook because of my disabilities and have to rely on whatever I can manage.
    Originally posted by Mrs_Ryan
    Me too. I have ME/CFS/Fibro and I am similar. I force myself to do the school run - as in park close, walk from the car to the playground and that's pretty much me done. I also need to recover before I can drive home again. And yep, I rely on others cooking too. I struggle to stand and chop and lift.

I never used to be like this before I got ill.
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 25th Sep 16, 11:41 AM
    • 3,428 Posts
    • 2,878 Thanks
    Sharon87

Cheers fj
    Really? No exercise? Being 4ft 11, I have to exercise to lose weight, reduction in calories just doesn't work. Believe me, when I stopped going to the gym (because of an operation), even with eating the same things as I did before I put on 4kgs! Now that I'm exercising again my weight is going down steadily.

Stop being a close minded idiot and realise different things work for different people!

Oh and I don't watch daytime TV cause I have a job, something that you may not have based on the time of day you post.
    • .Gigolo Aunt
    • By .Gigolo Aunt 25th Sep 16, 9:06 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    .Gigolo Aunt
    People do get their knickers in an awful twist! If someone says something that annoys you, just scroll past or look at another thread.
    • bigfreddiel
    • By bigfreddiel 26th Sep 16, 8:22 PM
    • 4,071 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    bigfreddiel
    Really? No exercise? Being 4ft 11, I have to exercise to lose weight, reduction in calories just doesn't work. Believe me, when I stopped going to the gym (because of an operation), even with eating the same things as I did before I put on 4kgs! Now that I'm exercising again my weight is going down steadily.

Stop being a close minded idiot and realise different things work for different people!

Oh and I don't watch daytime TV cause I have a job, something that you may not have based on the time of day you post.
    Originally posted by Sharon87
    Thanks for that, actually I do work, but have a few days off now and then.

Well I can only imagine you are eating too much food, and the wrong sort if you put on 9lbs, that's nine bags of 2lb sugar.

Take a tip, cut out sugar, cut out low fat food, it's full of sugar and eat less.

If you have to exercise to keep your weight level your intake is more than you need without the exercise.

If you like exercising good, keep it up.

If you don't eat less to balance input with output.

Good luck fj
    • bigfreddiel
    • By bigfreddiel 26th Sep 16, 8:24 PM
    • 4,071 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    bigfreddiel

Isn't that exercise?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Your right, walking is exercise, well done on pulling me up on that.

But going to the gym to exercise is a waste of time. As is running, swimming, etc. But if you enjoy it do it, if not just walk 30 mins/day
    • bigfreddiel
    • By bigfreddiel 26th Sep 16, 8:25 PM
    • 4,071 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    bigfreddiel

Isn't that exercise?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Well of course 5' 11"

Thanks for pulling me up on that, obvious it was meaningless.

Good luck fj
    • rayqi
    • By rayqi 12th Oct 16, 9:20 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    rayqi
    Anyway, running is a not bad way to lose weight, but it's a little hard to insist on it! i think running with music is not bad lifestyle!
    Hello,everyone!
    • Walcott
    • By Walcott 12th Oct 16, 1:30 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 773 Thanks
    Walcott

Originally posted by Sharon87
    But you would only gain weight if you had an excess in your intake of calories. So if you can't lose weight by reducing calories then that would mean that even after your reduction you are still not in deficit.

At a very basic level - the body can't fuel itself out of nothing. If it is in calorie deficit then there is weight loss because fat fuels the body.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 12th Oct 16, 1:59 PM
    • 6,436 Posts
    • 20,551 Thanks
    fairy lights
    But you would only gain weight if you had an excess in your intake of calories. So if you can't lose weight by reducing calories then that would mean that even after your reduction you are still not in deficit.

At a very basic level - the body can't fuel itself out of nothing. If it is in calorie deficit then there is weight loss because fat fuels the body.
    Originally posted by Walcott
    But the problem is that for someone who's 4'11, the number of calories they can eat without gaining weight is going to be very small. To lose weight they would have to reduce their calories buy a lot more than say, a 6ft man, so unless a very petite lady has a willpower of iron and is happy to eat tiny low calorie meals, they will need to do exercise to allow them to eat a few hundred more calories a day.
    • Walcott
    • By Walcott 12th Oct 16, 2:05 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 773 Thanks
    Walcott
    The calorie intake required would be proportionate to the height? I would have thought someone that is 4'11 wouldn't have the hunger of a 6ft man so not sure how that is relevant.
    • bigfreddiel
    • By bigfreddiel 16th Oct 16, 2:32 PM
    • 4,071 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    bigfreddiel
    For anyone wanting to lose weight this the answer and it's very simple.

Eat less - exercise a bit.

And that's it. If you really do want to lose weight just do it!

Diets do not work, that is why there are so many.

Eating less is just as easy, if not easier than following some fad or diet of the moment.

Good luck fj
    Above was my initial post, and I was RIGHT! I know am right and Dr MAX Pemberton has just published this article in the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3839065/DR-MAX-MIND-DOCTOR-s-not-rocket-science-want-lose-weight-eat-less.html

What he says is "if you want to lose weight eat less"

Absolutely correct. This is how the article starts:

A few years ago, I had a patient who'd battled endlessly with her weight. She was in her 50s and had recently developed type 2 diabetes, yet she was adamant she couldn't lose weight despite going on diets.
    She refused to listen to the dietitians who advised her to eat less, convinced instead she was simply genetically predisposed to being fat.
    In my experience, it's an all-too- common attitude.

So folks don't bother with diets, they don't work, just eat less, it's that simple

Cheers fj
    • MrsShazbat
    • By MrsShazbat 17th Oct 16, 9:45 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 1,657 Thanks
    MrsShazbat
    I lost 4st 2002-04. Inevitably when life changed (new job, new social life, new partner) and I put 6st back on which is where I am now. I have an underactive thyroid. My portions are smaller than they used to be, I eat less fruit due to allergies stemming from hay fever, but otherwise eat lots of vegetables and have the odd drink or treat. I always halve any Chinese or Indian takeaway - tonight I made a bolognese and halved it so I've got lunch tomorrow. Last year it took me exactly 10 months to lose a stone - during that time my husband almost died and spent 7 weeks in hospital and I still didn't lose weight with the stress of it or the relentless hospital visiting cycle. I've put half of that stone back on and constantly yo-yo around the 7lbs-off mark - last week lost 1lb, this week gained 2lbs.

10 weeks ago my husband and I got a dog. The main purpose being to exercise. She's a husky so doesn't exactly dawdle. I walk up to a mile with her every morning at stupid o'clock - further on weekends, due to work at the moment hubby walks her alone in the evening but it clocks in at a 1.5 miles. Last week on a day off, I walked her nearly 3 miles. At work I rarely use the lifts. Zero difference.
    Last edited by MrsShazbat; 17-10-2016 at 9:48 PM.
    PAYDBX 2016 #71 £3109.44 / £4785 * Xmas 2017 #8 £0 / £365 * (2016 £424.32 / £366)
    * SPCNo.10 #66 (SPCNo.9 £442.64) *
    • fireblade28
    • By fireblade28 17th Oct 16, 10:08 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    fireblade28
    I lost 4st 2002-04. Inevitably when life changed (new job, new social life, new partner) and I put 6st back on which is where I am now. I have an underactive thyroid. My portions are smaller than they used to be, I eat less fruit due to allergies stemming from hay fever, but otherwise eat lots of vegetables and have the odd drink or treat. I always halve any Chinese or Indian takeaway - tonight I made a bolognese and halved it so I've got lunch tomorrow. Last year it took me exactly 10 months to lose a stone - during that time my husband almost died and spent 7 weeks in hospital and I still didn't lose weight with the stress of it or the relentless hospital visiting cycle. I've put half of that stone back on and constantly yo-yo around the 7lbs-off mark - last week lost 1lb, this week gained 2lbs.

10 weeks ago my husband and I got a dog. The main purpose being to exercise. She's a husky so doesn't exactly dawdle. I walk up to a mile with her every morning at stupid o'clock - further on weekends, due to work at the moment hubby walks her alone in the evening but it clocks in at a 1.5 miles. Last week on a day off, I walked her nearly 3 miles. At work I rarely use the lifts. Zero difference.
    Originally posted by MrsShazbat
    Of course for one thing walking doesn't burn nearly as many calories as we think. In fact humans are rather good at being able to do it efficiently and after you adapt you will use even less energy.

The body adapts to lower your BMR to conserve body mass when you are resting.

Its pretty clever sometimes you need to shock it more.

Its compounded by the fact you have an underactive thyroid that messes all things up. I still think you can lose weight you just have to figure out what works. Something will.
    • bigfreddiel
    • By bigfreddiel 17th Oct 16, 10:20 PM
    • 4,071 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    bigfreddiel

Originally posted by MrsShazbat
    If you put on 6st then you are eating and snacking far too much.

Eat less.

Walking at a fast pace not strolling will help keep you trim by exercising your heart.

Cut out all low fat foods, laced with sugar.

Eat off smaller plates.

Above all stick toit

Good luck fj
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

993Posts Today

5,027Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • PPI deadline decision's just been delayed until first quarter of 2017, it was due this year. For free help now go to https://t.co/EqDQvgRZ2K

• RT @juliegroves49: @GMB @MartinSLewis thanks got my soap & glory glam sets which was half price at boots today thanks or all the tips xmas?

• RT @ckrd: @MartinSLewis Just bagged my Soap and Glory Set £30.00 instead of £60, thanks for the reminder in your email. Another one off the?

• Follow Martin