Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 16th Sep 16, 3:46 PM
    • 4,139Posts
    • 8,579Thanks
    TallGirl
    The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor
    • 16th Sep 16, 3:46 PM
    The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor 16th Sep 16 at 3:46 PM
    Dear all
    I've been around a long time on this MFW for a long time and I love it. Keeps me on track and helped me pay off my mortgage 9 years early. I'm on the verge on starting something new so I thought I would start a new diary and focus it more on money saving and less on personal stuff. My life was quite steady and stable until April 2015 when I left my husband and took a one year job in London all made easier and more ore possible because I was mortgage free.

My job ended in July 2016 and I had hoped to stay within the organisation in a new job but I didn't get it and they didn't recruit anyone else. I am a great believer in that things will happen for the right reason and good things come to good people. Whilst on holiday and on my birthday I was told my ex had died and as we were still married I now owned the whole house plus his pensions and share in the small family business.

I applied for a new job whilst on holiday and I start that Monday its 28 hours a week with Friday's off and it's obviously on less month than my previous full time one.

I have been busy in the last two months sorting the house out so I can rent I out from October which will give me an income as well.

I have been trying to get his affairs in order so I can apply for probate and I'm getting there. So good folks if you want to read about the following kinds of topics then please feel free to read and or comment:
    • How to be an accidental landlord
    • How to go about getting probate and IHT sorted
    • How to invest an inheritance
    • How to keep accounts as a landlord
    • How to save money on everyday things whilst living in London

There will be more and I often stray into personal totally unrelated money stuff so just gloss over that if you find it boring.

So here we are start of something new so a quick update on where we are with the above topics.

1. Property should be ready after 27/9 as carpets going down then. Estate agent doesn't want to market it before it's completely ready. Once painter is done need to arrange final clean and my old cleaner to hang curtains.

2. My accountant friend has suggested the valuation of the family business is ok to use and my new IFA confirmed the two pensions are outside inheritance tax so I should be able to more forward on this very soon.

3. Meeting the IFA 30/9 potential inheritance will be around £190k will need to pay funeral expenses but want to invest most of it.

4. I need to read up on how to keep accounts as a landlord not sure I need an accountant but as I'm now a part business owner I might have too. Will definitely register with Inland Revenue but as house isn't rent out yet nothing has changed.

5. Finally I love saving money from getting the best deal to using coupons and tokens. I'm very good but can also be very bad. It's expensive to live in London but I'm a property guardian so my rent is so so cheap so I should really save lots of money. I promise I'll do a budget once I get my new wages, I would rather live on this than have to use my income from my property but might be difficult .

Ok I will end there and try and keep on the straight and narrow in terms of sticking with money saving stuff.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 17-06-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    Pay off wasted money £1465/£10k updated Sep 17
Page 17
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 7th Sep 17, 9:42 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 8,579 Thanks
    TallGirl
    DGs interview went well she'll hear middle of next week we think about max 20 candidates for 3 posts. Work I made a wrong judgement it was done in haste and then it spiralled out of my control. I've apologised but it was wrong what I did but it could have been avoided had someone else not acted too quickly.

Never mind new day tomorrow. Early night needed.

Food delivery been should really do lunch for tomorrow only spend today was £1 on chocolate. Bad I know.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 8th Sep 17, 10:33 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 8,579 Thanks
    TallGirl
    No spend today and lots of good things at work. Should really have gone to the leaving do but by 5.20 no ones looked like they were going to decided against it. Chilled with DG instead.

Learnt one of the senior roles at work is seriously underperforming has been there eight years. Wow nothing has been done new CEO is just about starting to work on it and I can see why she brought me in. I could do that role and I think she might have that in mind long term plan maybe. Not sure I want that but right now it's such a good place to work even with the no structure and serious lack of any coordination.

No spend today didn't actually get out at lunch which helped and didn't go out tonight. Transferred money from savings to current account ready for investments to go out. Pension payments won't quite be ready to go out yet but that should hopefully happen later in the month. Transferred my premium bond wins to savings £125 so that tips up the savings again hopefully pay a bigger chunk back next month when I get full wages. Three weeks to payday.

Golf tomorrow and golf lesson Sunday which will be good. Not been out since that bank holiday Monday far too long.

Life is pretty good actually long may it last. Well could do with DG getting a new job.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 10th Sep 17, 8:40 AM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 8,579 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Spendy day yesterday DGs chest of draws which was bought in the recycle shop at the skip died she's been fed up with it for ages. My bedside table was £5 from a skip a year ago so set off to by at least a new one for her. Nothing on Gumtree or B&Q or Homebase and being central London no big shops around. Drove to nearest charity shop they were a bit of a rip off and didn't have anything really. Thought well we aren't that far from IKEA let's go. Spent £10 on lunch first i paid then set upon the shop. £250 in total but that was £100 for two chest of draws and also got two new sheets and two new pillows much needed plus a fab caddy to keep all our toiletries in I've been using an old wooden bo I got a Christmas hamper in. Frivolous buy was a large canvas with a Fiat500 silhouette on it. DG and I don't like the same picktures but this was perfect and Rossi is the modern 500 so a great fit. This is it http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/decoration/frames-pictures/pjätteryd-picture-classic-fiat-500-art-60332068/ this is the chest of draws in white stained oak http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/chest-of-drawers/malm-chest-of-3-drawers-white-stained-oak-veneer-art-70178603/ also the fab box http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/bathroom-storage/godmorgon-box-with-compartments-transparent-art-60177473/

Looks fab on the wall even got another picture up so the front room we rent looks really homely. Bedroom looks so much more streamlined and it's lovely to have a large bedside table and more space. Old bedside table can be used in store room to store excess clothes not needed that season. This is really good for organising the underwear and sock draws http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/small-storage-organisers/clothes-organisers/skubb-box-set-of-6-light-blue-art-10323957/

We also bought dinner (hotdogs £6) and as it's free refills swapped my last softdrinkk for a latte naughty I know but nice.

Swedish food shop came to £12 but all nice stuff bad the cod roe in tubes yuck nothing like what I thought it would be.

Golf lesson today (no golf for two weeks so wrong) and i want to buy another 6 lessons so some spending today but got money in current account of my own. Three weeks left to payday and £940 left with only £300 savings still to come out.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 10-09-2017 at 8:52 AM.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 10th Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 8,579 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Tired can't believe how playing six holes of golf and having an hours lesson can do that. Spendy day £280 on golf lessons but DG will pay half if not more and more economical to buy in bulk get 6th lesson free. I had developed a fault in my swing good to get it ironed out lots of practice need to sort it and DG knows what's wrong with hers too. She was a about to give up again so much better to do lesson. One more booked in two weeks might as well work on it over winter.

Dinner at the club £23 of two paid I paid half. No drinking this weekend and no gambling for 4 weeks quite pleased with that so want to keep it up.

Forgot to say I think I've found the travel bag my mum really wanted cheaper to buy two so got four three as presents if they are any good one for myself too. Only £15 for two and £1.99 postage but got £1.74 cash back which is quite good.

Early night for sure DG is speaking to her mum hence why I can post she does this every night. Tidied some more draws tonight think the new furniture is helping. Tried to change some mailings to my new address but couldn't log into old online accounts so sod that won't pay for postal direction anylonger. Runs out in October got an extra two months as they messed up setting it up last year.

Lunch made for three days if not four and will buy ryebread from bakery so that will sort rest out. Cooked butternut we had and wil have that with spag Bol tomorrow easy dinner. Might go and hit some balls after work. When it gets too dark in the evenings might get range card and go to indoor one like we did last year. Stopped us from drinking so in a way £7 for a bucket of balls is cheaper than drinking.

Our joint account is really depleted due to IKEA so is our holiday fund and we did really want a nice wekend away. Might have to pay ourselves but with the monthly premium bonds and us putting £50 each into savings it will build back up. Got loads of food in Sainsbury's delivery during the week so don't need anything now.

Think that is it for my waffles night night all.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 11th Sep 17, 10:27 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 8,579 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Spent £3 on coffe and donut had a crap meeting and crap phone call at work but one good one too. Going in late tomorrow for meeting then might be staying late such evens out.

Looking to book bootcamp finally £1000 for the week all in but will get 10% off plus 1 extra night in lov lovely couples hotel for the Friday night (camp ends lunchtime so seems a shame not to do something). That will add another £100 on top as I posted yesterday should come out of joint savings which got depleated by Ikea. I have no holiday savings and I'm obviously trying to build up my wasted money so might need to raid my Zopa account trying to get out of that anyway rates so low now so that should help even if it's only £330. Also wages from Oct will help obviously.

Night night
    Last edited by TallGirl; 11-09-2017 at 10:30 PM.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 12th Sep 17, 9:51 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 8,579 Thanks
    TallGirl
    UPS forgot my travel card needs renewing its £95 cheaper than the £134 I used to pay but stuck it on the credit card would be hard to cut the budget down more for this month. Spent £4 on ryebread don't think it's great so will get baking myself has the flour mix so easy. £3 on late lunch as working late and £3 in Poundland on chocolate never going to get slim again.

Work ok actually spoke to a client which felt good but without any advice I could give I think she just wanted to off load.

Late home so no golf but will be tomorrow.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 13th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 8,579 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Totally gutted got email this morning the council wants the property back so we need to be out by 30/10. It's odd as the Council only told us a week ago they had been told by guardian com at we would get heating back. I did wonder if it was a lie to get us out so they don't have to install heating so have emailed counsellor. Let's see but we've signed up with other guardian company that sounds much better and viewing 5 flats on Saturday. They are one beds but I fear that means studios in guardian terms so we shall see. We would need to pay all bills but we wouldn't be sharing that is good. Let's see still feel sick about having to move it's only a year since I emptied my place but at least it's a year off moving. Need to cull some stuff and if no Garden my plants what do I do with them. Need storage for sure big dinning room table and also garden furniture that will be £1300 for a year yes I could just buy new but not ready to get rid of more got rid of so much last year.

We might of course not get anything there might be loads interested I've gone along to their viewings two years ago and it was mayhem 30 plus people for one room. Let's see. Annoying we just bought all the ikea stuff.

Not been to golf all week so bad. Was going tonight but got home late hopefully tomorrow definitely Friday. Work ok today but getting very busy but still good. Running out of capacity but getting help in so hopefully ok.

No spend today at least.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 14th Sep 17, 7:42 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 8,579 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Culled some clothes and put the most summery stuff away. Don't need to buy anything could cull moe that's for sure. Will take stuff to my old house for the loft that will help a bit.

DG didn't get the job so she's gutted but she's got an agency letting her about a job and there's one to apply for in Hackney so not all bad. No spend today but my savings account money will go out soon so not much left in the current account. I'm really pleased it's been a month since I did any gambling feels great and I'm not even tempted.

Work fine today busy but getting somewhere. Problem is the speed the CEO wants things to happen is ok with me but the rest a quite old fashioned. My team member is working silly hours and have far too many clients but I'm trying to help as best I can whilst not talking on casework. Going to a meeting tomorrow in my old sector at least I don't have to worry about introducing myself as unemployed.

So a bit more optimistic but tired as I didn't sleep well.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 15th Sep 17, 10:48 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 8,579 Thanks
    TallGirl
    This is becoming obsessive almost a no spend again but did go to Tesco with dh nothing out of the freezer for dinner £26 spent but ended up eating rolls reduced to 16p so cheap dinner in the end and we will aet the rest tomorrow.

Spent £50 on a range card DG will pay the other half and that will mean we can hit balls during the week in winter. Quite cool and cheaper than buying it each time.

Was suppose to go to that meeting today but when I got to the tube station it was shut due to the terror attack so went by bus but was taking ages so ended up coming home instead.

That meant i could go to the viewing but room to small and it was gone by the time I arrived one minute late. Another couple wanted it too. He does have a property quite near here which is an old pub with flats above it. He will know more on Monday and that might be better than the flats we're seeing tomorrow glad I saw him he seemed nice actually.

Not long to bed time really tired this diary is a year tomorrow wow
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 16th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 8,579 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Viewing today there was a mix up with where we were meeting the guy and also only three flats not four. One was a studio but we signed up for the other two I recon there will be five couples after them and he said it was the office who decide who gets it. I'm not sure I think it will be him as he said call when they open and they will let you know. We shall see. We stil have that pub to view with the other company but would be nice not to share. The flats we in a bit of a tough looking estate and some flats had bars on the windows so a bit scary one is on the ground floor but let's see we both liked them it's will be £1000 all bills in so cheap and no sharing.

Went out for posh brunch afterwards which was nice £11 each so not too bad it's London after all.

Chill out and then hit some balls on the range before cooking nice dinner to eat with X factor.

My uncles estate has had probate granted I've now got money in the bank in Denmark which is wierd as I could now buy a second home over there (well a summer house).

My diary is one years old today how weird should really revisit my first post funnily enough it started a new job last year this time. Obviously wasn't the right one this one does seem right and I'm enjoying it.

Golf tomorrow and possible some more sorting out. Need to get my garden furniture in as someone tried to jump the gate yesterday all mine is locked up in chains so should be ok.

Hopefully we won't have to buy too much when we move but might need second freezer, washing machine and a cooker depends what flat or property we get.

Might watch a film in a bit alhough I am tired
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 17th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 8,579 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Both woke up saying we didn't feel safe in that ground floor flat and we would refuse it. Then looking at bars you can fit inside the windows decided it was perfect. I'll call them Monday let's see what happens. We're not paying the last months rent as we're convinced we won't get out deposit back. They owe us £1200 as we both had to pay. We won't get it all back but might loose at worst £100 each which is better than £600. I think the firm will jut go bust again as their parent company has a large loan that is due to be paid by Christmas and also we think there is at least 50 guardians that will need their deposits back at £600 each. That's a lot to find even if they say they pay it back within 3 months. If we get the flat the new company pay it back in a week and we only pay one not two deposits.

Spoken to my sister dad and niece which was nice and my mum must be a month since last time must call them more often stupid not too.

Played some golf today and made soup using up some old stuff. Can't take the huge industrial freezer with us and I don't want to buy a new one if we dont have to. I do have a fridge freezer we are taking.

DG is doing some job hunting stuff and I'm chilling. I should really sort the garden furniture out so it can come inside. It will be sad to not have a garden but let's wait and see where we end up.

I recon the move will cost us min two thousand quid but that's with deposit first month rent, washing machine etc.

Fingers crossed we get a flat let's see what tomorrow brings.

Ps it was a NSD very happy about that tomorrow could be expensive if we get a place time to dip back into savings.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 17-09-2017 at 9:45 PM.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 18th Sep 17, 10:38 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 8,579 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Good news we got the one bed flat on the 6th floor but there is a lift. It's not that big and no shower but it's all ours and no sharing. It's more money as we have to pay all utility bills plus council tax but happy and excited about moving currently uploading all the references and ID stuff need to scan some bank statements and get reference from employer. Pain but got to be done. We have six weeks so time to get it all in place before we have to move. Will be good even if a little rough we are right by the nice new bits let's hope that makes a difference.

Spent £2 on sweets and £20 topped up Oyester should claim my expenses back really. Still £200 left until end of month not bad but spending will start soon on move.

happy days here
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 19th Sep 17, 8:39 AM
    • 3,651 Posts
    • 3,953 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    That's great news. I hope the move goes well.
    • vandanfc
    • By vandanfc 19th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    • 1,803 Posts
    • 4,796 Thanks
    vandanfc
    That is good news. No sharing sounds good.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 19th Sep 17, 9:43 PM
    • 4,139 Posts
    • 8,579 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Thanks guys for the good wishes means a lot

Today I bought a coffee as I was early to a meeting and then I forgot another meeting in the same building as I went back to the office. Doh!

Got all documents uploaded to portal for guardian company and also spoke to them re no wage slips for a few months I just have to give them the contact. We can move to a property on a lower ground floor if one becomes available so just need to keep looking on their site. Now all we can do is wait for them to check documents and then we are stage two payment then we need to collect keys. We want to take a drive over tomorrow night just to check how scary it is but we're both excited about having got somewhere.

Not so cool re my rental house the two people I deal with who are brilliant have left and suddenly the person I'm dealing with has a different company name in his email. I know the company still exists but they might have been taken over. My gas safely has run out and the tenant wasn't prepared to organise it for them to inspect. New tenant is immidiately moving in so they suggest we leave it up to them. That's so wrong and illegal as it invalids the insurance and rental cover. I've told them I'm not letting it out until it's done and I'll do it myself on the 6/9. I'll see what he says they found the tenant really quickly overnight and if my old contact there thought it was a good one I trust him even if he's gone. If I knew he had gone I would swap to his agency. Never mind let's wait and see.

Tired so bed soon night night all watching bake off on catch up later in the week so no spoilers please.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 19th Sep 17, 11:06 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 1,212 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    What a nightmare with the rental.

All I can say about bake off, is don't attempt to 'eat along' this week, we did and felt a little
    Sick after the signature round..
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    July : £36,800 8/100
    August: £36,411.85 8/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,304Posts Today

8,357Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin