Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 16th Sep 16, 3:46 PM
    • 4,145Posts
    • 8,583Thanks
    TallGirl
    The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor
    • 16th Sep 16, 3:46 PM
    The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor 16th Sep 16 at 3:46 PM
    Dear all
    I've been around a long time on this MFW for a long time and I love it. Keeps me on track and helped me pay off my mortgage 9 years early. I'm on the verge on starting something new so I thought I would start a new diary and focus it more on money saving and less on personal stuff. My life was quite steady and stable until April 2015 when I left my husband and took a one year job in London all made easier and more ore possible because I was mortgage free.

My job ended in July 2016 and I had hoped to stay within the organisation in a new job but I didn't get it and they didn't recruit anyone else. I am a great believer in that things will happen for the right reason and good things come to good people. Whilst on holiday and on my birthday I was told my ex had died and as we were still married I now owned the whole house plus his pensions and share in the small family business.

I applied for a new job whilst on holiday and I start that Monday its 28 hours a week with Friday's off and it's obviously on less month than my previous full time one.

I have been busy in the last two months sorting the house out so I can rent I out from October which will give me an income as well.

I have been trying to get his affairs in order so I can apply for probate and I'm getting there. So good folks if you want to read about the following kinds of topics then please feel free to read and or comment:
    • How to be an accidental landlord
    • How to go about getting probate and IHT sorted
    • How to invest an inheritance
    • How to keep accounts as a landlord
    • How to save money on everyday things whilst living in London

There will be more and I often stray into personal totally unrelated money stuff so just gloss over that if you find it boring.

So here we are start of something new so a quick update on where we are with the above topics.

1. Property should be ready after 27/9 as carpets going down then. Estate agent doesn't want to market it before it's completely ready. Once painter is done need to arrange final clean and my old cleaner to hang curtains.

2. My accountant friend has suggested the valuation of the family business is ok to use and my new IFA confirmed the two pensions are outside inheritance tax so I should be able to more forward on this very soon.

3. Meeting the IFA 30/9 potential inheritance will be around £190k will need to pay funeral expenses but want to invest most of it.

4. I need to read up on how to keep accounts as a landlord not sure I need an accountant but as I'm now a part business owner I might have too. Will definitely register with Inland Revenue but as house isn't rent out yet nothing has changed.

5. Finally I love saving money from getting the best deal to using coupons and tokens. I'm very good but can also be very bad. It's expensive to live in London but I'm a property guardian so my rent is so so cheap so I should really save lots of money. I promise I'll do a budget once I get my new wages, I would rather live on this than have to use my income from my property but might be difficult .

Ok I will end there and try and keep on the straight and narrow in terms of sticking with money saving stuff.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 17-06-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    Pay off wasted money minus £1000 /£10k
Page 16
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 17th Aug 17, 8:18 PM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 8,583 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Work going well I'm enjoying it but it's very much fend for yourself no induction not sure who to ask but getting there people are nice but very overworked. Lots of changes needed which I love.

Got a works phone it's a Samsung it's not as nice as an iPhone but it's a phone and it's hard to be phonelss actually. Sim has arrived phone claim being looked at tomorrow then if passed phone gets dispatched hopefully Monday would be fab.

Pension signed up for 5.1% max contribution so IFA can transfer two old pensions. Funny new one is with Scottish widdows which I was with a long time ago but we have just transferred out off.

DG fed up with her job but she's done a test for a possible interview and an agency has rung about another job it's a long way from here so not ideal. I'm ok with my journey bit long between busses no trans but if I get my phone back at least I can time it better. Roll on Waterloo being sorted it's so annoying.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 17-08-2017 at 8:26 PM.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 18th Aug 17, 7:15 AM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 8,583 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Morning quick post saw a job advert on linked in last night posted by one of the managers at dream job. It's a six months secondment actually in the same team as my friend works in. A bit gutted but then it's not meant to be and I've got a job. Not sure it's going via the Agency if it is will be interesting if I get a call from them. If I don't I'll know it wasn't meant to be.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 20th Aug 17, 11:28 AM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 8,583 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Enjoyed the men versus ladies yesterday I match and the ladies won overall. DG played ten holes with one of the ladies recovering from injury but is otherwise a very good player so good for DG.

Long week and early start yesterday so chilling today definitely. It's nice to have hot water back in the bathroom they have also installed a water heater on one kitchen sink but it's not in the main kitchen so a bit pointless and as it involves walking through two doors it's easier just to boil the kettle.

We're still going to deduct £6 a day for lack of heating and not full hot water our room has a sink and there's no hot water for that. It think it will be cold here in winter not sure I'm quite up for the portable radiator idea but we shall see and I do have the finances in place to move to somewhere else. We need parking and it has to be near the golf club.

First week at work was ok I quite enjoyed it even with the missing infra structure and IT gremlins at least I've got a newish PC now that will help. It's nice that my caseworker is so good and knowledgable she's also very professional. I just feel like I need to move faster too keep up but not sure I'm willing to do much more we shall see it was only week one. I got called a kid by one of the volunteers that was really sweet. She was trying to save me from the office politics.

Thing are almost back to normal after the break in of the car. I've got all my cards back and phone claim is now settled and a new one on its way. I'll get a refund for the cover so that £35 might buy a cheaper one might not I do like proper Apple ones. Should get it Monday or Tuesday can't wait. Got works phone a Samsung it's horrible but will do for work just have carry both.

To fix the scratches on the car is £375 so leaving that for now not really notable and I don't think the car will suffer long term if I don't fix them. Glad I didn't make the claim would have lost most of my no claims bonus definitely protecting it next year.

IFA is setting pension overpayments up again now I'm working and moving two smaller pensions sadly they need original documents or solicitor certified unfortunately I cannot get DG to do it but she might be able to ask at work. I do also work with solicitors just don't know them well enough.

Once set up I'll have one private pension and one with work plus my old final salery scheme. Much easier than having loads hanging about. I'm definitely not retiring at 68 which is what it is now for my age group. No way glad I've got finances behind me so I don't need to plus currently mortgage free.

Not heard anything re tenant I'm hoping he'll give notice end of Aug and we can get someone in so there's no void period. He's up to date which is good but better to get him out and someone in who can afford it better.

Right need cup of tea DG snoring beside me.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 20th Aug 17, 11:38 AM
    • 3,652 Posts
    • 3,956 Thanks
    SuzieSue

To fix the scratches on the car is £375 so leaving that for now not really notable and I don't think the car will suffer long term if I don't fix them. Glad I didn't make the claim would have lost most of my no claims bonus definitely protecting it next year.
    Originally posted by TallGirl
    Sorry to hear about the break in. If you do a search on Honest John, he says that it is not usually worth protecting your ncb as most people have found that their premium still goes up after a claim.

If the police were involved, then I think you need to inform your insurance company if you haven't already done so.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 22nd Aug 17, 7:28 AM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 8,583 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Thanks SuzieSue I didn't know that I've only got four years but when I stopped having company cars it was so expensive as I obovusly had no no claims bonus. Insurance knows as I claimed for the glass and cancelled the other claim for the paint when we got the items back I was only covered for £150 of stolen stuff hardly covered the clothes we could have lost let alone the bags so lucky we got it back.

Got my phone yesterday and then spent £52 in apple getting the same cover and screen protector I should get money for the cover back and hopefully for the lead they took I really need one for my bag to take to work they are so expensive.

Work is fine managed to catch up with loads and get my new leaflets out which was great. Also ordered business cards and sorted out getting my chair currently at my old work to the new one for £20 which is a good price and I don't have to drive it. I can then set my desk up at the right height and my back I'll be fine. Worth that bit of money and it's my own chair so I can just take it with me wherever I go next.

Forgot to mention friend who has the cats said Jack needs all his teeth out they were just going to pay but I never cancelled the insurance. Remember it was on my to do list for ages but I couldn't do it. He's going in Wednesday I'm sure he will be fine but I still feel like he is mine even though I know he isn't. I do miss them and I'm sad I never had Thomas cuddles when we were down last.

Need to get up soon was awake between 2 and 3 felt like I had just got back to sleep when DG woke up and went to work around 5.30. I got an hour more but broken sleep isn't great. Got a meeting in zone 1 at 3.30 then meeting a friend from the leadership course at 5.30pm. Will be an hour or so but will be good to see her and catch up with hq in my new world wouldn't mind working for them in the future.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 22-08-2017 at 7:34 AM.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 22nd Aug 17, 9:45 AM
    • 3,652 Posts
    • 3,956 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    Thanks SuzieSue I didn't know that I've only got four years but when I stopped having company cars it was so expensive as I obovusly had no no claims bonus. Insurance knows as I claimed for the glass and cancelled the other claim for the paint when we got the items back I was only covered for £150 of stolen stuff hardly covered the clothes we could have lost let alone the bags so lucky we got it back.

sorted out getting my chair currently at my old work to the new one for £20 which is a good price and I don't have to drive it. I can then set my desk up at the right height and my back I'll be fine. Worth that bit of money and it's my own chair so I can just take it with me wherever I go next.

I thought that you could usually transfer your ncb from a company car.

Good idea having your own chair. I haven't been able to sit down and work for the last 6 or 7 years as it hurts my neck and shoulders so I have to stand up all day. It was tough for the first few weeks, but now I don't notice it at all. The hardest part is finding shoes which are comfortable to stand in all day. They can't be too flat or too high.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 23rd Aug 17, 7:04 AM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 8,583 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Not sure I could stand up all day I know you can get standing desks etc which is handy but definitely couldn't. I'm taking in my desk raisers and get a pedestal from the CEO which will be nice really good to be able to meet people without having to book rooms.
    Re no claims bonus most companies don't transfer them from company cars or they don't count the same so I gave up in the end.

Met with contact from HQ last night really worth it got some good ideas and she's doing two projects that would definitely benefit our office. Also she might be able to get me access to proper project management tools wow that would be good.

Got my contract all as it should be says I can do casework which is great if a bit unexpected might be useful to keep debt skills up. Only SSP but with 30 days leave it shouldn't be a problem and I'm really not off sick that often. Working hours are 9.30 to 5.30 I've got to change that to 9 to 5 or even 8.39 to 4.30 just doesn't suit me and travel is easier too. I don't think she'll mind and all I can do is ask.

DG has got a job interview it is about an hour away but easy enough to get to. They are recruiting three solicitors for a council so fingers crossed. She has to do a presentation which isn't her greatest skill but hopefully with all her court work she'll be more confident now.

I'm playing golf Sunday DG won't have anyone to play without she's got to prep for her interview so that's ok. Can't wait for her to play in the comps will be a while off but would be easier. Need that handicap first.

Think that is about it been quite frugal but diet is awful need to get back on track for sure.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 23rd Aug 17, 9:15 PM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 8,583 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Dream job Agency now asked me to recommend someone for the job though one as I really do like it but decision made not going anywhere. Went on a home visit today bit of an eye opener really brought it home why I'm doing what I'm doing. Nice what with CEO she's happy with what I'm doing just need to capture it. I can do that no problems. Working from home Friday is fine which I'm very happy with problem is I'll be in late tomorrow and I don't want to stay late but should really.

Tired DGs alarm is on for 5.45am so really early even if I don't leave until just before 8. Journey much easier with phone so I can track busses but tomorrow might be fun as they are cutting even more trains. Glad I'm not travelling in Friday.

My tenant has found somewhere else which is a relief and is moving out end of the month. Rent will be slightly increased ready to be dropped if needed. Going back on Rightmove might have a nose now.

Hopefully able to get some stuff out from the loft next weekend and move some stuff up there. Would be nice miss a couple of dishes etc.

Jack my old cat should have had his op today I'm hoping I'll hear how it went. Don't want to chase it as it's not my cat I keep having to remember that.

Early night for sure but alls is well.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 24th Aug 17, 9:04 PM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 8,583 Thanks
    TallGirl
    House was on Rightmove added yesterday email this morning tenant found ready to move in I'm so impressed with that agent glad I found that company.

Hospital for new insoles this morning got four pairs now never had more than one so that's really nice.

Work find stayed until 6.30 working from home tomorrow lots to suss out and think about so want some quiet time to do it. Senior management meeting good today I like the changes they are making and my experience is handy for them. Also cool to be part of something like that. I think they like me too nice new team as well as everything was under the CEO before now it's going to be divided better.

Been thinking I'm quite lucky right now the house should be sorted no voids and no works need doing plus I've got my nice new job. Would be good if DG got something and if we can stay here a bit longer. The cold will be horrible but we shall see. To live in zone two all bills included with parking and several rooms to ourselves all for less than £250 each is a bargain.

Totted up my income pre tax it's £56k, mad really but must save more really must. Anyway tired but nice to be a home tomorrow.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 24th Aug 17, 9:15 PM
    • 3,652 Posts
    • 3,956 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    House was on Rightmove added yesterday email this morning tenant found ready to move in I'm so impressed with that agent glad I found that company.
    That's great news. We managed to find a tenant to move in with only 2 days between tenants earlier this year.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 25th Aug 17, 9:38 AM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 8,583 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Paying back what I borrowed
    Right done some totting up and while I was off work I wasted on online gambling and other crap a ridiculous amount of money £10k to be precise in the 5 months I was off. I felt sorry for myself and I do turn to gambling when that happens. Yes I do have a problem but as I can afford it it has no consequences which is bad and I do want to stop. I'm not going to so gambling anonymous I'm going to post on here if I feel the urge and I'm certainly closing all sites down so I don't get temped. It's usually no more than £20 I have set as monthly limits so can't go too mad but I set up some new accounts in the time I was off so that's the damage done.

I've transferred over the first £1000 this month and that takes it down to £9k. I want it gone before Christmas ideally but that's not possible until I get my tax rebate. My salery this month will be £1500 I can easily live on that but can't chuck anything next months so it will be Oct & Nov with min £1000 a month that takes it down to £7000 which is a bit better.

I'm going to update my signature and then I must get on with some work.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • vandanfc
    • By vandanfc 25th Aug 17, 11:38 AM
    • 1,804 Posts
    • 4,796 Thanks
    vandanfc
    Ouch TG. Do you not have the gambling website blocker installed ? Knowing how determined you can be, I am sure that you will pull this back very soon.

Have you heard how Jack got on ?
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 25th Aug 17, 1:39 PM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 8,583 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Thanks VandaFC I might need the blocker going ok so far. Jack is fine got a picture of him unable to keep his tongue in as no teeth. Looks cute really. Trying to get as much for done but keep being distracted.

Also got my £139.80 on expenses so straight to savings.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 26th Aug 17, 8:24 PM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 8,583 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Bit hungover today five small beers last night 2.5% about 2.5 points such a lightweight. Have been out to play golf not brilliant but lovely weather. Playing in the match tomorrow DG prepping for her job interview. I've missed the matches since I can't do Wednesday any more.

Not spent much money just £8 out of joint account for chips and lime and soda after golf. Don't normally but such a nice evening. Asda was £27 just some essentials and stocking up on cooking sauces 90p I do make my own but that's for four portions in each jar. My home grown autumn squash is cooking in the oven ready to have with peppercorn sauce.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 26-08-2017 at 9:17 PM.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 28th Aug 17, 9:24 PM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 8,583 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Nice weather played golf both Sunday and today. Almost played to my handicap but not quite and DG had a strop today she was hungover which doesn't help the golf.

Had lunch at club yesterday £7 and also hired a buggy today as it was so hot. Otherwise not spent anything.

Early night ready for work tomorrow will be busy as my staf member is on leave so need to fend for myself. It's nice not to dread work actually look forward to it. Will need to speed up its week 3 and I need a plan by week 5 or six that's my aim. Could have done more on Friday but hopefully manage to catch up this week.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 28-08-2017 at 9:27 PM.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 30th Aug 17, 8:34 PM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 8,583 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Payday tomorrow cannot wait to do the money shuffle (now where are those dancing bananas GallyGirl used to use). Need to send email to Guardian company saying my rent will be reduced due to lack of heating. DG has done hers I'll do mine tomorrow. Councillor has unexpectedly replied and I think they actually got them to put the shower in. We don't want to push it too far might be better to stay with electric heaters than be moved out. We shall see.

No spend today amazing but actually only because I didn't take my jacket at lunchtime and it rained.

Tired as awake at 5.30am early night again and not going in until 9.30 ish but want to look for a mindmap app for my Ipad want to capture my thoughts but the one I have been recommended hasn't been updated.

Enjoyed bake off last night glad that is back feels like autumn today naughty dinner really should get eating under control. And go back to gym.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 31st Aug 17, 8:59 PM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 8,583 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Spent today coffe £2.80 as I was early could have had it for free had I taken a Waitrose cup. Stop myself spending at lunchtime did get free pizza at work so not too difficult but then left my oyster at work so had to pay for overground home plus back tomorrow as couldn't go back for it. Did walk so saved the bus fair.

Cashed my expenses cheque and put £100 in savings so updated my signature. Will save £185 on rent this month due to deductions for no heating or hot water but someone from guardian company who we have had no dealings with so far emailed all to say we can't deduct from 15/8 as hot water. Well we can and we will also in correspondence with councillor so covered that way for now. Sadly there's a planning meeting 20/9 for this place so we might not have long left. Really don't want to move yet such a hassle. Couple next room to us are moving out wonder if they get someone to take the room ŵith no heating.

Work still interesting might get new member of the team which would really help. Financial capability which is something I want for the CV so that's really cool already got lots of other areas we cover so that's fine.

Want to carry on not spending and be able to stash savings away. This weekend we're back down old haunts staying with friend but will need birthday presents x three so need time to get that organised. Yeah to Friday tomorrow. Tired so early night again DG was up at sparrows this morning even though I went back to bed I'm still tired.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 31-08-2017 at 9:04 PM.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 3rd Sep 17, 9:14 PM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 8,583 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Nice overnight stay with friend felt right at home as always down in that area. Got my copy of my passport certified by solicitor friend so can now get it off to the pensions transfers. Quick catch up with friend I was staying with before party and also got my toes painted £18 but really nice with flowers on. Love the colour should last a while. DG got her hair cut and her finger nails down looks lovely too.

Party good got there at 7.30 saw loads of people from my old golf clubs chatted to most danced a bit knackered so we were back at my friends house at midnight a bit too much to drink really. Should have slowed down.

Today quick catch up with friend who works a dream job place if I had applied for the most resent one she would have been my manager not a good idea.

Shopped at Lidls spent £60 but some meals out too and booze for £40 no presents needed in the end. Good time and no break ins or other nasty stuff.

Lunch done and will go big box tomorrow for rest of the week.

Re paying wasted money I forgot that. I paid DGs golf membership put front to save money and she's paying me back monthly. She pays me £89 so I need to stick that I need the savings account. I'll round it up to £100 too.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 5th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 8,583 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Hectic week with lots of meeting but still really interesting and I'm learning lots and meeting lots of important people.

Spent £1.45 today on chocolate and bottle of water to take on the tube with me. Quite good for me lunch I took with me from home and I've done tomorrows lunch as well. On joint account I bought loaf of bread which I promptly forgot at work but it will be fine tomorrow.

When my premium bond won comes in it's going into filling up the wasted fund. Everything helps and I want to get there. Been sent email I owe £90 rent that's 15 days worth of deductions but DG only owe 11 days and we pay the same rent for each room makes no sense. It's an automated message so not doing anything at the moment.

DG is preparing for her presentation for the job interview she's got Thursday. It's ten minutes I do worry about it as she's not a public speaker but it's only a panel of three so let's hope. Would be fab if she got it even if it will mean long commute.

I need to answer some emails first thing but not going in until 10am which is great. Makes travel so much easier. Must ask about travel expenses as I don't have a zone 1 card.

Right that's it for my waffles tonight.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 6th Sep 17, 7:53 PM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 8,583 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Busy again today but got lots achieved and really pleased with progress. Mad to be back doing what I do actually love it thought I was done and dusted with business development but it's so much fun.

DG is doing prep again for her interview dinner was the bread I bought yesterday and left at work it was lush but expensive at £5. Forgot my lunch today so £3 spent on meal deal very bad but could have been worse. Free coffee at Waitrose before work as I was early.

Waiting for the premium bond money to hit account so I can top up savings nice an addictive
    Save £12k in 17 no 93
    £7750/£12k
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,713Posts Today

7,032Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin