Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 16th Sep 16, 3:46 PM
    • 4,207Posts
    • 8,673Thanks
    TallGirl
    The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor
    • 16th Sep 16, 3:46 PM
    The trials & tribulations of a 1st time landlord & investor 16th Sep 16 at 3:46 PM
    Dear all
    I've been around a long time on this MFW for a long time and I love it. Keeps me on track and helped me pay off my mortgage 9 years early. I'm on the verge on starting something new so I thought I would start a new diary and focus it more on money saving and less on personal stuff. My life was quite steady and stable until April 2015 when I left my husband and took a one year job in London all made easier and more ore possible because I was mortgage free.

My job ended in July 2016 and I had hoped to stay within the organisation in a new job but I didn't get it and they didn't recruit anyone else. I am a great believer in that things will happen for the right reason and good things come to good people. Whilst on holiday and on my birthday I was told my ex had died and as we were still married I now owned the whole house plus his pensions and share in the small family business.

I applied for a new job whilst on holiday and I start that Monday its 28 hours a week with Friday's off and it's obviously on less month than my previous full time one.

I have been busy in the last two months sorting the house out so I can rent I out from October which will give me an income as well.

I have been trying to get his affairs in order so I can apply for probate and I'm getting there. So good folks if you want to read about the following kinds of topics then please feel free to read and or comment:
    • How to be an accidental landlord
    • How to go about getting probate and IHT sorted
    • How to invest an inheritance
    • How to keep accounts as a landlord
    • How to save money on everyday things whilst living in London

There will be more and I often stray into personal totally unrelated money stuff so just gloss over that if you find it boring.

So here we are start of something new so a quick update on where we are with the above topics.

1. Property should be ready after 27/9 as carpets going down then. Estate agent doesn't want to market it before it's completely ready. Once painter is done need to arrange final clean and my old cleaner to hang curtains.

2. My accountant friend has suggested the valuation of the family business is ok to use and my new IFA confirmed the two pensions are outside inheritance tax so I should be able to more forward on this very soon.

3. Meeting the IFA 30/9 potential inheritance will be around £190k will need to pay funeral expenses but want to invest most of it.

4. I need to read up on how to keep accounts as a landlord not sure I need an accountant but as I'm now a part business owner I might have too. Will definitely register with Inland Revenue but as house isn't rent out yet nothing has changed.

5. Finally I love saving money from getting the best deal to using coupons and tokens. I'm very good but can also be very bad. It's expensive to live in London but I'm a property guardian so my rent is so so cheap so I should really save lots of money. I promise I'll do a budget once I get my new wages, I would rather live on this than have to use my income from my property but might be difficult .

Ok I will end there and try and keep on the straight and narrow in terms of sticking with money saving stuff.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 17-06-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    Save £12k in 17 no 93 £9750/£12k Pay off wasted money £2735/£10k
Page 10
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 8th May 17, 8:27 AM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Nice weekend played golf when DG came back from work Friday so cold it was really freezing. Didn't do much Saturday kind of went to the gym and did a bit of batch cooking.

Golf yesterday after meeting the ladies and I've got a game set up for Wednesday to mark my first card for my official handicap. I will need three so it's a good start.

Currently sat with my foot in hot water as smashed a glass Friday and this morning got a splinter from said glass so annoying.

Today I must apply for the two jobs that closes next week and also complete my open uni course and get on with my professional qualification.

I think that is about it DGs birthday tomorrow she almost ordered a rain jacket and booked some lessons but didn't so her present will still be welcomed by her I know that,
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 9th May 17, 10:05 AM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    DG loved her birthday presents and the jacket fitted which was lucky. She's gone to work and I'm still in bed having watched the Sarah Beeny show about being mortgage free. Yes it's all good if you got land or parents with land I did it 9 years early but getting a better job and some small inheritances. Not that great but fun to see the cheap homes being built.

The two application forms have lots of work to do on them and tomorrow I won't have time as I'm playing golf and meeting a friend. Has to be done by Friday as I'm away next week.

Cinema tonight so that's nice still no drinking feel like the weight is dropping needs to go to the gym as well today no classes I fancy so workout on my own instead.

We will know Thursday if we can rent the room from 1/6 I do hope the guy goes he's creating a bad atmosphere by skulking around. Also found out my tenants haven't given notice so although it's now a rolling contract they are still in and still paying so all is good long may it last.

That's it for now have a lovely day.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 9th May 17, 3:03 PM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    One application done need to check it and the other one is quite similar so hopefully that will be easy. Just had a very naughty magnum ice cream the new raspberry one omg it's lush. Not been to the gym really bad I know.

DG on her way home early nice bonus as we're out at 6pm.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 09-05-2017 at 3:08 PM.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 11th May 17, 7:29 AM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    4DX film was great definitely recommend it for the right film very different and good fun. Did have two ice creams £10 only because it was her birthday and god they were sickly one scoop would have done.

Played golf yesterday really nice ladies and really nice weather. Golf was good too played over my handicap but still very relectable. I think I'm going to like the members those I met yesterday were nice. Met friend for an hour after she finished work I really don't miss that journey into town but it was good seeing her.

Today gym either at 10am or 12.15 no excuses job applications to be done too ready for DG to check and I can then send them tomorrow.

My sister and mum is going to have a small ceremony to place the urn of my uncle in the family grave on the 4/6. It's also my nieces birthday so she would like me to come. Not sure if I get interviews to so great if I don't it's not that much money to travel over.

Tonight DG has her golf lesson I'll come too just to practise a bit.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 12th May 17, 6:52 AM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Did gym but no class as no instructor still did 45min. Lesson went well paid for 1/2 hour got 1 hour he was really good and she's improved massively. Might go tonight instead of gym as she's away tomorrow night and then I'm off for a week with the car so she can't go.

Finished the CAB application but the other one is a res only six questions but it's behavioural based with examples which is fine but you only have 950 caracters which is just impossible. I've done three but the forth is 1600 and I need to cut it more of course. So painful but needs must the job sounds really good and I've done all the other sections.

Starting to look forward to my trip to cornwall, Dorset and Devon been two years since I last went. My friend will be in a state I know it and she needs support. Her marriage is hopefully over and I might be able to move her forward. She's not worked for a while and I think she's got drinks problems again and possibly her eating disorder is back so things aren't looking good for her really.

Things kicked off again here yesterday with the difficult guy. He had an altercation with the female again saying he was being bullied out. Doesn't sound like he's even close to moving out which is so frustrating as I just want that room and get my nephew over here. Just not possible at the moment.

DG had to go in early lots of work might just have a snooze now.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 13th May 17, 7:24 PM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Nice Friday night did have two beers (big ones) felt it this morning not good. DG has gone out with three friends staying overnight I miss her but I've been a away a lot and I'm away Sunto Thurs so I hope she has a nice time.

Done some study need to do final read of my job application will do that tomorrow then that's both sent off they close Mon and Weds so fingers crossed they are right up my sleeve job wise would be great to get an interview.

Can't wait to head off tomorrow on my big south west trip will be good to see all those people again definitely getting bored being off work.
    • mrsval
    • By mrsval 13th May 17, 10:54 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    mrsval
    rent a room
    Hi all, I need a little help and advice. My son wants to return home and has suggested he wants to come back home and rent one of my bedrooms. I have read that the government allows you to do this. My son is on pip benefits and currently has his own 1 bed flat, I don't work, or claim benefits, my husband is on state pension. We still have a mortgage to pay so being able to rent a room to my son and be there for him 24/7 instead of the long travel 3/4 times a week to see him and make sure he's ok would help a lot but I have no idea what I have to do and whether or not family would be allowed to do this rather than renting to a stranger. Thank you in advance
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 14th May 17, 9:26 AM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 3,985 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    Hi all, I need a little help and advice. My son wants to return home and has suggested he wants to come back home and rent one of my bedrooms. I have read that the government allows you to do this. My son is on pip benefits and currently has his own 1 bed flat, I don't work, or claim benefits, my husband is on state pension. We still have a mortgage to pay so being able to rent a room to my son and be there for him 24/7 instead of the long travel 3/4 times a week to see him and make sure he's ok would help a lot but I have no idea what I have to do and whether or not family would be allowed to do this rather than renting to a stranger. Thank you in advance
    Originally posted by mrsval
    You should really start a new thread on the Benefits or Housing boards as you will get a better response.

Does your son work? You say he is on PIP. Does he get any other benefits such as housing benefits? If he gets housing benefit then it is very unlikely that he will continue to get this if he rents a room in your home. You would need to ring your Councils's housing department to be sure but I have never heard of family members getting housing benefit if they rent a room in the houses of close family.

His PIP won't be affected, so he will continue to get this as long as his disability doesn't improve or the criteria for getting PIP don't change.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 14th May 17, 11:21 AM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Thanks SuzieSue I was going to suggest that too I don't think you can get housing benefit forrenting to family. I'm a property Guardian it's a cheap way to rent and you get to live in some unusual places maybe google Camelot Properby Guardian and Ad Hoc there are loads of companies.

Finished by open uni course got 92% quite happy with that signed up for one that starts tomorrow it's on financial regulation and understanding products. Will be handy for work and an area I quite like to get into if I cold e.g. FCA, FOS etc.

Sent my CAB application form off that's two in have to wait now really hope I get an interview would like both some is familiar but an organisation I love the other is new to me but the advice areas right up my street unlike Age UK where the organisation was new and the advice areas wasn't my cup of tea.

DG should be home soon so I want to pack and have a shower before she gets here some brunch first long time since I had my yoghurt.
    Last edited by TallGirl; 14-05-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 19th May 17, 8:30 AM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Gosh a week since I've posted lots of good things since then.

Drove off to Dorset Sun night with friend who wasn't well on lots of morphine so not good really but still glad I went and broke journey in half. With my friend in cornwall with the very old husband mon to Weds nice time but she's recovering from a full mastectomy as her family has history of breast cancer. She's out of work but husband just started work tues which is great as he's out of her hair and earning. He's 75 she's 36 not good really and they are not happy together.

Her dad is recovering from cancer too and she's caring for him and staying there while his partner is away. He's a total alcoholic one bottle of whiskey a day reminded me of my ex dh. Anyway nice time had with friend caught up properly not really spoken for at least a year. Bit of shopping and treating her which was fine.

Weds drove up to se another friend who I always saw when I was down there on business. Nice evening with him and his partner at their house lovely garden st it stopped raining first time since Monday. Girl played yesterday then lunch then stopped at other friends house got puppy, doggy and kitty cuddles and got home at 9.30pm. 620 miles driven but well worth it and nice to catch up with all those people who through my travelling job became friends.

Once my friend who lives next door to my house moves to cornwall I'll definitely got down more often to see her and some of them.

Also other important news I have an interview for the CAB job on Tuesday. Really happy got to do ten minutes presentation on why they are struggling with staff morale and volunteers leaving pus clients unhappy. Right up my street really so should be fine. Going to do it today obovusly.

Right now a bit of open uni to catch up with DG went to work just after seven but I couldn't sleep.

Hope all is well with my fellow MSEer will catch up with some diaries soon.
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 19th May 17, 8:48 AM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 3,985 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    Congratulations on the interview. I think it's cheeky how some organisations use interviews to solve their own problems but there is nothing much you can do about it. I have a friend who works in the same sort of area as you and she is convinced that some of the interviews she has attended have been for the sole purpose of picking her brains and that they were going to give the job to an internal candidate all along.

Wow, 36 & 75. I thought our age gap (9 years) was bad enough. How long have they been together?
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 19th May 17, 10:18 AM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    They have been married 3 years together 4 far too quickly never lived together before getting married just not right for each other. She's now flirting with another married man who's flipping 71 she's a nightmare! Lots of issues really.

Agree re cheeky them asking to solve their problems and yes there could well be an internal candidate. I've got some ideas but need to formalise it more and read annual report etc.

Still not started lol.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 20th May 17, 9:56 AM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Got some work done not enough on the presentation for interview but loads of reading so back in the swing of things with CAB.

DG came back at 10 from night out I went to bed at 11. Had one beer so feel fine this morning.

Today golf later then got golf tomorrow morning with ladies to get second card in which will be good.

Next week busy for me Monday finish presentation, Tuesday job interview, Wednesday course same n as DG is on, Thursday appointment for insoles, Friday were down South and got dentist and golf booked. Happy busy week may be last one before working.

That's it I think nothing too exciting to report as usual.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 21st May 17, 9:09 PM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Golf Saturday and Sunday played with the ladies and had a good round Wednesday week will be my final card and I'll have an handicap again. DG took the bus to the course and we had lunch then came home she also got to practise. My foot is killing me but got app Thursday so all s good.

Spoke to my sisters earlier about nephew coming over sadly we can't book flights as stupid house mate stil hasn't gone so can't wait to see the back of him. No sign of him moving though which is crap.

Need to get on with presentation tomorrow don't want to have to do some Tuesday morning no good. I'll get it done.

Lots of batch cooking done tonight well loads of boulgur wheat both with and without tomato. Made giant couscous with feta like you can buy in sainsbury that will save £5 on the ready made version. Got mint and parsley plant in cornwall for £2.50 and given a tomato plant today so that helps too. Going to order some chicken breast from musclefood anyone used them? Any good looks cheap £25 for 5kilo. Want to order a big load to make chicken curry, marinated chicken for kebabs and DG also has two every week in her lunchbox.

Think that's enough essay for now.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 21st May 17, 9:58 PM
    • 5,753 Posts
    • 28,193 Thanks
    bugslet
    Not popped by for a while, good luck with the job interview.

If CAB is like anywhere else, it'll be too much micro managing, too much beaurocracy and too much pressure.

Mr Bugs was 23 years older, but even I went at that age gap!
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 22nd May 17, 3:44 PM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Not popped by for a while, good luck with the job interview.

If CAB is like anywhere else, it'll be too much micro managing, too much beaurocracy and too much pressure.

Mr Bugs was 23 years older, but even I went at that age gap!
    Originally posted by bugslet
    Thanks Bugslet nice of you to pop in.

I have being micro managed so it's a wait and see on that one would rather be working than sat at home and obviously not much luck in switching to something slightly different right now.

Wow 23 years quite a bit but not as bad as my friend that's the most I've heard of I was 8 years younger than my ex dh and 5 years younger than DG.

Done the presentation and a handout but I think it needs to me more bullet pointed. I'll run through it again and DG will also check it later when she's home.

Starting to get a bit nervous about tomorrow I must say. Not feeling confident feels like I've been away too long but actually it's only two years and prior to that I was in two whole years and before that I've got 16 years in the advice sector working with CABx.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 23rd May 17, 9:38 AM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Leaving for interview soon needs loads of extra time not taking any chances not a good look to be late.

Really quite nervous trying to remember what to say and got my presentation ready too obviously.

Wish it was all over but once I'm there it will be fine I usually perform well in those situations

Sad about Manchester horrible but happens more and more.
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 23rd May 17, 3:13 PM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Back went ok in a tiny room panel of three crammed into a tiny room knees almost touching. Old member of staff works there I had forgotten she brought out a grievance against my team leader not me personally but still weird to see her. She was fine though didn't act anything different just friendly. Couldn't quite connect with CEO he sat next to me and only asked two questions at he end. He seemed reluctant to answer my questions. Not sure I did enough we shall see they will decide today know by end of week. Not devastated if I don't get it but nice atmosphere and so cab it's was untrue.

Going to have nap now then play golf this evening. Hit some balls last night but DG wants to play which is fine.
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 23rd May 17, 8:13 PM
    • 797 Posts
    • 4,689 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Hi TG, found your new thread. Hope you don't mind me following.

I wish you every luck with the job interview today. I sincerely hope you get the outcome you want. The office sounds small and cramped, like so many CAB offices. Familiar territory!

And good luck with the other application.

My new voluntary work is on the Trustee Board of a CAB, so back in the thick of it. Perhaps you can go and be a TB member in a Bux, it will give an alternative perspective to your application forms, something that most other applicants won't have! Give it a thought.

Tx
    Striving to be mortgage free.
    2018 MFW £135
    • TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 26th May 17, 8:32 AM
    • 4,207 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    TallGirl
    Hi Tahlullah thanks for popping in I didn't get it got feedback very constructive there basically was a stronger candidate and I wasn't too good on reaseach and campaign and also what issues people have in the area. To be frank spot on and reason I problably said two years ago I wouldn't go back into cab possible CITA would be ok.

I have however seen a bit of a dream job for me at an organisation I've been flirting with for four years but it's never been the right time. It's via an agency but got my friend who works there to check my cv and covering letter. I haven't got quite the right experience but I have quite a bit of what they are looking for. Would be an amazing opportunity and very well paid but it's a long shot and I know it. My friend has almost identical experience to me and she got in I do also know the senior manager of the department but she's off sick.

Yes I have seriously considered being a trustee I was thinking a small housing association but I don't think they are interested in unemployed people so need to wait with that one. Cab might be a good one too agree good luck with yours Tahlullah.

Off to the dentist now then golf house sitting for friend plus cat lovely to be down in my old area I can see my house out of the window as I type this.

Hope you all have a lovely bank holiday.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,984Posts Today

8,711Users online

Martin's Twitter