Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • immy
    • By immy 16th Sep 16, 1:19 PM
    • 213Posts
    • 35Thanks
    immy
    kids pass membership cancellation
    • 16th Sep 16, 1:19 PM
    kids pass membership cancellation 16th Sep 16 at 1:19 PM
    Anyone been able to cancel kids pass auto enrolement membership?

I have been auto enrolled after the trial period and charged £40 for a years membership.

Just wondering if i have any rights to cancellation and refund?

My mistake that i forgot to cancel but they didn't send any reminder emails or anything.

Just feel aggrieved that i haven't used their service or not likely to use their service.
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 16th Sep 16, 1:22 PM
    • 10,810 Posts
    • 7,043 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 16th Sep 16, 1:22 PM
    • 16th Sep 16, 1:22 PM
    Just wondering if i have any rights to cancellation and refund?
    Originally posted by immy
    from their website http://www.kidspass.co.uk/refund-policy.pdf
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 16th Sep 16, 1:41 PM
    • 18,650 Posts
    • 15,550 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 16th Sep 16, 1:41 PM
    • 16th Sep 16, 1:41 PM
    Note that that Refund & Cancellation Policy refers to your "right to cancel your initial membership with us within 14 days of your original purchase".

OP, you have no right to cancel the renewal having allowed it to take place.
    That does not mean you cannot ask them to cancel the renewal, but expect a refusal.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 16th Sep 16, 2:10 PM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 2,866 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 16th Sep 16, 2:10 PM
    • 16th Sep 16, 2:10 PM
    I used to be treasurer of an organisation that collected most of its subscriptions by direct debit. According to the rules, members had to give notice before the end of the membership year if they did not want to renew.

Each year a few members would go to their banks, sometimes several months after renewal, and claim that they had not authorised renewal. The bank would then, without question, claw the money back and charge us for the privilege!

In theory, or so we were advised, we could sue the former member for that year's subscription but that is not a route we opted to go down.

I have no idea what would happen in this case.
    • immy
    • By immy 16th Sep 16, 3:27 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    immy
    • 16th Sep 16, 3:27 PM
    • 16th Sep 16, 3:27 PM
    Note that that Refund & Cancellation Policy refers to your "right to cancel your initial membership with us within 14 days of your original purchase".

OP, you have no right to cancel the renewal having allowed it to take place.
    That does not mean you cannot ask them to cancel the renewal, but expect a refusal.
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    I mistook this to be 14 days after the year membership was taken so according to them I cannot cancel. Seems unfair and no email reminders to say of upcoming YEARLY renewal.
    • bod1467
    • By bod1467 16th Sep 16, 4:50 PM
    • 14,797 Posts
    • 13,463 Thanks
    bod1467
    • 16th Sep 16, 4:50 PM
    • 16th Sep 16, 4:50 PM
    I used to be treasurer of an organisation that collected most of its subscriptions by direct debit. According to the rules, members had to give notice before the end of the membership year if they did not want to renew.

Each year a few members would go to their banks, sometimes several months after renewal, and claim that they had not authorised renewal. The bank would then, without question, claw the money back and charge us for the privilege!

In theory, or so we were advised, we could sue the former member for that year's subscription but that is not a route we opted to go down.

I have no idea what would happen in this case.
    Originally posted by Undervalued
    Bear in mind that the OP's situation is more likely to be a CPA (continuous payment authority) rather than a DD (direct debit). So the DD guarantee rules wouldn't apply, and clawing back payments (whilst not impossible) are more difficult to do. (A CPA can still be stopped though).
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 16th Sep 16, 5:33 PM
    • 3,239 Posts
    • 4,713 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    • 16th Sep 16, 5:33 PM
    • 16th Sep 16, 5:33 PM
    I mistook this to be 14 days after the year membership was taken so according to them I cannot cancel. Seems unfair and no email reminders to say of upcoming YEARLY renewal.
    Originally posted by immy
    But then that would mean you would be getting a 45 day free trial.

To be fair, they make it perfectly clear on the sign up page what happens before you submit your details:-

Only £1 payable today. By joining Kids Pass, I understand that my membership is an ongoing subscription service and will automatically renew on my trial expiry date 16 October 2016 for greatly a reduced annual fee of £39.99 (normally £75). I understand that I can cancel at any time in accordance with the Terms and Conditions, and that my membership will continue to renew at the end of each subsequent term until it is cancelled in accordance with the Terms and Conditions. I agree to inform Kids Pass if any of my contact details change. Purchases will appear on your statement as from Kids Pass.
    • immy
    • By immy 17th Sep 16, 4:41 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    immy
    • 17th Sep 16, 4:41 AM
    • 17th Sep 16, 4:41 AM
    Yes i know i signed up to their terms and agreements....i was curious as to what deals they offered....turns out its not very much and i forgot to cancel.

I was curious to see if others had a similar experience and if they were able to cancel.

Obviously its part of their business model for this type of sale.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 17th Sep 16, 6:44 AM
    • 3,217 Posts
    • 5,551 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 17th Sep 16, 6:44 AM
    • 17th Sep 16, 6:44 AM
    You can cancel to make sure you don't get charged again next year but you won't necessarily get a refund for this year. You may not have used nor want the service but they made it available to you.
    • indigoheart
    • By indigoheart 21st Sep 16, 5:48 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    indigoheart
    I too have been caught out with this auto renewal and am not happy!
    I initially joined on a trial offer and stopped the auto renew before it kicked in when I couldn't see anything that was worth having from them. But it would appear one of the kids looked at the app on my phone for theme park deals a few weeks back and it started up another trial which I knew nothing about until I checked my bank account yesterday to see they have taken £29.99 out of it! This threw me into the red and I'm now overdrawn. I am most annoyed
    I rang them (in tears) only to get a very unhelpful lady tell me it is in their terms and to email the accounts department. I emailed the accounts department and told them they have taken money which I had no notification they were going to take and it has plunged me into the red and just got a 'sorry but its in the agreement and we don't give refunds' reply.
    I am beyond disgusted with their 'customer service' and lack of empathy. Im left out of pocket and without a leg to stand on.
    So as rotten as it is to say....but I doubt you will be lucky enough to get a refund.
    The only thing we can hope is that this saves other people their money by making them more aware of these auto-renew systems, and it shows how callous and uncaring KidsPass as a company and their customer service is.
    Save
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 21st Sep 16, 5:53 PM
    • 18,650 Posts
    • 15,550 Thanks
    wealdroam
    I too have been caught out with this auto renewal and am not happy!
    I initially joined on a trial offer and stopped the auto renew before it kicked in when I couldn't see anything that was worth having from them. But it would appear one of the kids looked at the app on my phone for theme park deals a few weeks back and it started up another trial which I knew nothing about until I checked my bank account yesterday to see they have taken £29.99 out of it! This threw me into the red and I'm now overdrawn. I am most annoyed
    I rang them (in tears) only to get a very unhelpful lady tell me it is in their terms and to email the accounts department. I emailed the accounts department and told them they have taken money which I had no notification they were going to take and it has plunged me into the red and just got a 'sorry but its in the agreement and we don't give refunds' reply.
    I am beyond disgusted with their 'customer service' and lack of empathy. Im left out of pocket and without a leg to stand on.
    So as rotten as it is to say....but I doubt you will be lucky enough to get a refund.
    The only thing we can hope is that this saves other people their money by making them more aware of these auto-renew systems, and it shows how callous and uncaring KidsPass as a company and their customer service is.
    Originally posted by indigoheart
    Forgive me for saying this, but I think you and your children are entirely responsible for your current situation.
    • emidee
    • By emidee 26th Oct 16, 10:31 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    emidee
    Kids Pass Rip Off......Cancelled online but still auto-renewed! >:(
    Be very, very careful about signing up for this 'free' trial -

I did, out of curiosity - realised it wasn't much use to me, & cancelled, via the kids pass website, a few days after the trial was set up.

I was more than a bit surprised to find yesterday that they've since helped themselves to £29.99 from my bank account!! >

I complained by email, but of course because the cancellation process is via a form on their website, I have no proof of it so I'm screwed.

Do yourself a favour & avoid this company.....for the sake of a 'free' trial the hassle & unexpected expense is simply not worth it.

Update: I've just been browsing the 'Kids Pass' reviews on the Play Store - it would appear I'm not alone, many, many others have reported the same experience - this company make a habit of ignoring free trial cancellation instructions, take the years' subscription fee & then pretend that they have no knowledge of the cancellation (which is conveniently only online or by phone).

If you think you've cancelled, make sure you have an email to prove it. If you don't, then you probably haven't cancelled! :O
    Last edited by emidee; 05-12-2016 at 10:09 PM. Reason: New information
    • Sneaker
    • By Sneaker 30th Nov 16, 1:12 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Sneaker
    I am disgusted at having money taken out of my bank. I sent several emails to them to cancel and they ignored me. They have now said they do not accept emails as a cancellation but I couldn't see anything on the app on how to cancel. Any success stories in getting £ back?
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 30th Nov 16, 1:21 PM
    • 3,239 Posts
    • 4,713 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    I am disgusted at having money taken out of my bank. I sent several emails to them to cancel and they ignored me. They have now said they do not accept emails as a cancellation but I couldn't see anything on the app on how to cancel. Any success stories in getting £ back?
    Originally posted by Sneaker
    More info needed.

You signed up to the free trial and didn't cancel in time?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 30th Nov 16, 2:55 PM
    • 3,737 Posts
    • 2,755 Thanks
    sheramber
    Originally posted by Sneaker
    Item 6 of the Terms and Conditions
    You can cancel your membership and automatic renewal at any time during the first 30 days period by calling 0161 244 8225 Monday – Friday from 09.00 – 17.00 or by writing to us at York House, Vicarage Lane, Bowdon, WA14 3BA. You will receive an email to confirm the cancellation of your account plus a cancellation reference number for your records.
    • stemcgoo
    • By stemcgoo 14th Jun 17, 1:42 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    stemcgoo
    apart from anything else, this company are a complete shower when it comes to complaint process. I sent an email with my letter as pdf attached, they reply that they cannot deal with a complain that way and I have to post it in to them.
    Shower of ....
    • Danydad
    • By Danydad 11th Jul 17, 3:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Danydad
    I'm afraid I've been caught out too! Yes, admittedly the warnings are there regarding the cancellation policy but I too feel aggrieved and think business models such as this are unethical. They have the technology to see if members have used their accounts and should be obliged to notify customers that they are receiving no benefit from membership and query them as to whether they wish to proceed with full paid up membership.
    As a business strategy it's as old as the hills. You just have to cancel and put it down to experience.
    I'm not sure MSE should be giving exposure to Kids Pass though?
    Last edited by Danydad; 11-07-2017 at 3:11 PM.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Jul 17, 9:16 PM
    • 25,853 Posts
    • 10,291 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    I forgot to cancel Amazon Prime after using it for a single order. Thought damn and blast and silly me etc. But now they have sucked me into the i can get it NOW!!!

I am in a Prime Now area and ordered something at 17:20 and it was delivered at 18:30. Thats service. Order certain items and get it the same day, they deliver upto 10pm.

I wonder if Amazon China can deliver stuff within 48 hours instead of 2 - 4 weeks?

Only person to blame for not cancelling is myself. I clearly knew the date but being lazy I forgot.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 11th Jul 17, 9:33 PM
    • 30,091 Posts
    • 19,046 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I forgot to cancel Amazon Prime after using it for a single order. Thought damn and blast and silly me etc. But now they have sucked me into the i can get it NOW!!!

I am in a Prime Now area and ordered something at 17:20 and it was delivered at 18:30. Thats service. Order certain items and get it the same day, they deliver upto 10pm.

I wonder if Amazon China can deliver stuff within 48 hours instead of 2 - 4 weeks?

Only person to blame for not cancelling is myself. I clearly knew the date but being lazy I forgot.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Now thats really good service, worth it for the £79 a year.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 11-07-2017 at 9:41 PM.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • hotbern
    • By hotbern 27th Sep 17, 3:01 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    hotbern
    I'm afraid I've been caught out too! Yes, admittedly the warnings are there regarding the cancellation policy but I too feel aggrieved and think business models such as this are unethical. They have the technology to see if members have used their accounts and should be obliged to notify customers that they are receiving no benefit from membership and query them as to whether they wish to proceed with full paid up membership.
    As a business strategy it's as old as the hills. You just have to cancel and put it down to experience.
    I'm not sure MSE should be giving exposure to Kids Pass though?
    Originally posted by Danydad

Totally agree with this later point - MSE it's got to the point where so many people (admittedly through our own tardiness) have got stung that maybe you should stop promoting them as money saving?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

98Posts Today

2,227Users online

Martin's Twitter