Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Enigmatic Me
    • By Enigmatic Me 16th Sep 16, 11:56 AM
    • 1,225Posts
    • 12,073Thanks
    Enigmatic Me
    Interesting Article re Facebook Competitions
    • 16th Sep 16, 11:56 AM
    Interesting Article re Facebook Competitions 16th Sep 16 at 11:56 AM
    I am in a local area group (not comp related) and someone has posted this on the page as we posts things re scams, neighbourhood watch etc.

https://medium.com/scams-scotland/facebook-like-and-share-competitions-are-a-scam-heres-why-2eb3d37cd9cb#.1d3e4o277
    Last edited by Enigmatic Me; 16-09-2016 at 12:06 PM.
    The best things in life are free.....
Page 3
    • Pinkzie
    • By Pinkzie 21st Sep 16, 3:30 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    Pinkzie
    An interesting read, thank you. I have read some similar things said about like and share competitions.

I'm not a big fan of them as an entrant but agree they are quick to enter and harmless if they are genuine. A few years ago I did a couple of small facebook competitions on my craft page and just out of interest I just went back and I can still see all of the likes/shares on them from each person and can keep scrolling to see all of them. I'm not sure if this is the case when there is a lot more entrants as these ones only 150-200 or so but I can definitely see everything. Maybe things have changed since then?

I don't mind when people point out the rules to companies, I think they only have good intentions and want things to be as fair as possible although it does look like they're just moaning, maybe they want the prize being offered but want proper rules in place so they feel they have a fair chance? I'm just glad when the prize is genuine!

I won with the National lottery on twitter and I'm pretty sure the 50% tweet thing was part of the t&c's when I won because I remember wondering if I'd get my prize but they awarded me my prize even though I'd say my profile was mostly competitions at the time.
    • JamboDP
    • By JamboDP 22nd Sep 16, 12:42 AM
    • 27,498 Posts
    • 6,073,250 Thanks
    JamboDP
    How can anybody who runs a competition say they do not want people who enter comps to win, totally contradicts the point of running a competition.
    I do it just for fun and whatever I win is a bonus
    • ScottMcGready
    • By ScottMcGready 22nd Sep 16, 1:14 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    ScottMcGready
    Some people also consider the same applies to TW and not all entries are seen but another way to look at it is to consider being seen is part of the winner selection process as there is nothing to show the same people are always overlooked, bit like 15,000th person to enter wins so the first 14,999 to enter have no chance (sony have/do run some like that).
    In some ways L&S/Retweets are more open than many other competitions including Apps on FB where you have no idea how the winners were actually selected or if they had met the entry requirements.
    Originally posted by mjm3346
    Forgive me - what is TW?

This is all very interesting as over the last 18 months my wins on FB have dried up completely, I used to win roughly once a month and have won some great prizes. I only comment on a comp when asked to, and I refuse to grovel to try and win anything, so it looks like I will not be winning anything in the future. Also on twitter comps I have done thousands and thousands of RTs the only thing I have won is a Thong and it did not fit.
    Originally posted by JamboDP
    I literally have no words for this, but hopefully it helped!

And there we have it. A subtle yet obvious foot stamp because someone dares to disagree with you. You have joined this forum in the last few days to comment on this thread. How it must please you that this thread could possibly bring you some traffic. You are a blogger and saying "I've been on TV. I've dealt with other scams" means nothing. So has Jamie Oliver and he's a complete moron. Doesn't mean you have any qualifications to dictate to the rest of us. I don't know why you feel the need to proclaim anything. I also don't like your inference with the comment I've quoted. You obviously don't like being disagreed with but I can assure you that this forum is full of people with their own minds and thoughts. . I disagree with you. I will carry on with my own views and i resent your hint 'touched a nerve' that i am part of some conspiracy.

You have joined i presume because you are enjoying the attention here on this thread . Your 15 mins of fame as it were. I'm moving on because i have no interest in what you have to say. What i do and what others do is none of your business. Many of us have entered fb comps for years and won a lot on it. I just think the fact you jumped very quickly into this thread and forum dubious in itself. Remember, no matter how highly you obviously think of yourself, many of us are intelligent people with very high academic achievements. I won't feed into your attention seeking anymore. But to help your conspiracy theory devotion, Michael Jackson isn't alive, America did not orchestrate 9/11, Nasa didn't fake the moon landing and the Illuminati never really existed. Hope that helps. Now i'm moving on as I suspect you will do as you joined simply to speak on this thread and advertise your blog. You will disappear right afterwards. Good luck with your next project which is probably trying to prove Paul McCartney really did die.
    Originally posted by serenity2012
    I'm not the one who started insulting something they didn't even take the time to read, and yet try and poke holes in it. There's no angle, no product to sell, no competition to force on you from me - it's just the truth. I'm not a blogger and I care not for my "15 minutes of fame". I'm a technical expert, who quit their job in 2012 to try and change the world one little bit at a time. I donate quite a bit of time writing articles for NWS / TSS and other organisations so that the consumers might benefit.

I use a publishing platform called Medium and can see referral links (i.e. who linked to my articles) and popped over here to have a gander at what was being said as the MSE forums were generating quite a large amount of traffic (as was facebook, where I spent time replying to messages recieved too). I'm not sure what's dubious about that.

Regarding your thinly veiled insults at my intellect / academic achievement / qualifications / 15 minutes of fame / blowing my own trumpet / attention seeking I'm going to choose to ignore. Disagree with the article by all means, but insulting someone based on your perceived notion of their academic qualification is just rude and demeaning.

I'm happy to debate with you what you think is wrong, but if you're going to act like a spoilt child I'll continue to assume my possibly incorrect notion that either you're just someone who's mad at the world and looking for an outlet, or a business that runs one of these competitions who's annoyed someone's pointing out the flaws...

I never ever enter these like & share FB competitions, mostly because I don't want to spam my friends' pages with competition posts. I'll only enter on Facebook if I can do it via an app, or occasionally if it's just a quick 'like this status' entry. I didn't actually realise that page owners can't see specific likes on these posts, so I probably won't even bother with those in future now!

I think once and once only, I got to the end of an app competition form and had to share a post to complete the entry. I just set the sharing status to 'Only me' and the entry went through - I'd gone through the mechanics of 'sharing', but I didn't have to bother anyone else with the post.

Interesting read, thank you!
    Originally posted by kaya1991
    You're welcome! Hope you found it useful. There's no method to the madness unfortunately with regard to what they can / can't see, so I'm not even able to give you a workaround like "create a new profile with these specific things and you'll always show up". Wish I could (but that doesn't mean to say none of your entries on the comps you've entered doing just a quick 'like' didn't show up)!

An interesting read, thank you. I have read some similar things said about like and share competitions.

I'm not a big fan of them as an entrant but agree they are quick to enter and harmless if they are genuine. A few years ago I did a couple of small facebook competitions on my craft page and just out of interest I just went back and I can still see all of the likes/shares on them from each person and can keep scrolling to see all of them. I'm not sure if this is the case when there is a lot more entrants as these ones only 150-200 or so but I can definitely see everything. Maybe things have changed since then?

I don't mind when people point out the rules to companies, I think they only have good intentions and want things to be as fair as possible although it does look like they're just moaning, maybe they want the prize being offered but want proper rules in place so they feel they have a fair chance? I'm just glad when the prize is genuine!

I won with the National lottery on twitter and I'm pretty sure the 50% tweet thing was part of the t&c's when I won because I remember wondering if I'd get my prize but they awarded me my prize even though I'd say my profile was mostly competitions at the time.
    Originally posted by Pinkzie
    Quick - yep. Harmless - maybe not (personal opinion). Spam is a growing problem, and it damages real advertising (which I think is overkill anyway), which leads to more 'legitimate' adverts since they don't pull as much weight, which in turn leads to the online version of Piccadilly Circus everywhere.

Regarding what you can see on your page - is it an actual facebook page, or is it a personal profile/group - those you *will* see the total likes/shares

How can anybody who runs a competition say they do not want people who enter comps to win, totally contradicts the point of running a competition.
    Originally posted by JamboDP
    They might not say it, but I imagine it happens. Think about it - you choose a winner, who's not a comper, that goes on and on about that iPad they won from X company last year. You guys might list your winnings, but the non-comper will think they're somewhat special (or magical, or like Neo - the chosen one).

I won a car once... Still go on about it to this day. Total shot in the dark raffle, and only bought one ticket, *AND* this was 8 years ago...
    • serenity2012
    • By serenity2012 22nd Sep 16, 3:39 PM
    • 989 Posts
    • 50,730 Thanks
    serenity2012
    I'm not the one who started insulting something they didn't even take the time to read, and yet try and poke holes in it.
    Originally posted by ScottMcGready
    Blatant response saying you are angry that i have disagreed with what you wrote. Thank you for confirming.

There's no angle, no product to sell, no competition to force on you from me - it's just the truth.
    Of course there's an angle. Traffic to your little page. Foot stamping temper tantrum. I'm going to pat you on the head and slowly back away. Don't want to startle you.

I'm not a blogger and I care not for my "15 minutes of fame".
    Erm you have a blog. Sorry to say hun that means your a blogger. And you blatantly care about being noticed.

I'm a technical expert, who quit their job in 2012 to try and change the world one little bit at a time.
    Of course your an expert sweetie xx That's why you are so up in social media but didn't even know what Twitter was. You say you are so it must be true And thankyou sooo much for trying to change the world to what you think it should be. Where would we be without you?

:I'll continue to assume my possibly incorrect notion that either you're just someone who's mad at the world and looking for an outlet, or a business that runs one of these competitions who's annoyed someone's pointing out the flaws...
    I'll continue to assume your a little man with a big ego Have i put a dent in it hun? Insults do not affect me in any way whatsoever. This forum and the members in it are renowned for allowing all viewpoints. Mine is different from yours and that makes it no less valid. Maybe with a little more wisdom you'll get that point in the end. I'm even going to pat you on the head as I leave the thread. Hugs and kisses xxxxxxx

PS: Musician, prolific warranty voider, coffee lover, and hacker is what you call yourself. Isn't hacking illegal? I guess its do as i say not as I do. Bye hun xxx
    Last edited by serenity2012; 22-09-2016 at 3:45 PM.
    August 2016: Some and a bit more

• mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 22nd Sep 16, 3:58 PM
    • 30,127 Posts
    • 172,186 Thanks
    mjm3346
    Forgive me - what is TW?
    Sorry, Twitter
    • ScottMcGready
    • By ScottMcGready 22nd Sep 16, 7:59 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    ScottMcGready
    Blatant response saying you are angry that i have disagreed with what you wrote. Thank you for confirming.

Of course there's an angle. Traffic to your little page. Foot stamping temper tantrum. I'm going to pat you on the head and slowly back away. Don't want to startle you.

Erm you have a blog. Sorry to say hun that means your a blogger. And you blatantly care about being noticed.

Of course your an expert sweetie xx That's why you are so up in social media but didn't even know what Twitter was. You say you are so it must be true And thankyou sooo much for trying to change the world to what you think it should be. Where would we be without you?

I'll continue to assume your a little man with a big ego Have i put a dent in it hun? Insults do not affect me in any way whatsoever. This forum and the members in it are renowned for allowing all viewpoints. Mine is different from yours and that makes it no less valid. Maybe with a little more wisdom you'll get that point in the end. I'm even going to pat you on the head as I leave the thread. Hugs and kisses xxxxxxx

PS: Musician, prolific warranty voider, coffee lover, and hacker is what you call yourself. Isn't hacking illegal? I guess its do as i say not as I do. Bye hun xxx
    Originally posted by serenity2012
    Wow, how rude. I didn't come here to insult you or anyone, not sure why you think it's perfectly acceptable to demean someone because you disagree with them? Anyway, yes I have a blog but I really couldn't care less about hits to the blog, nor do I care for hits to the Scams Scotland stuff, or any other articles I've written on NatWest/RBS's website or the TV ads I did for them.

The reason I didn't understand TW = twitter is because there's about a gazillion different acronyms and initialisms we use in the tech industry - it's hard to keep track of them all.

Oh and for your information, "hacker" isn't equal to criminal. One of the many misinterpretations people make. If you'd spent about 10 seconds googling it (instead of spending 20 minutes researching me), you'd have found that out. There's no need to (attempt to) be patronising. I've been nothing but polite.

Sorry, Twitter
    Originally posted by mjm3346
    Ah, thanks. Yeah the Twitter comps are just as equally interesting for the same reasons. Twitter ones can be harder to spot since you can have an app that you interact with on twitter that *does* log entries, and that's perfectly fine. It's just more obvious in facebook, and it's something I see quite a bit, hence why it was directed at that.
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 22nd Sep 16, 8:03 PM
    • 8,226 Posts
    • 279,891 Thanks
    BlueBella
    Thanks ScottMcGready, I have found your posts very informative We are not all ungrateful on this forum
    A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
    • ScottMcGready
    • By ScottMcGready 22nd Sep 16, 8:52 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    ScottMcGready
    Thanks ScottMcGready, I have found your posts very informative We are not all ungrateful on this forum
    Originally posted by BlueBella
    Hey, don't worry about it. You can't please everyone .
    • Enigmatic Me
    • By Enigmatic Me 22nd Sep 16, 9:03 PM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 12,073 Thanks
    Enigmatic Me
    I too agree with BlueBella Scott and found your article very interesting and appreciate the effort you have put into it. I cannot understand why someone would need to be so rude to you
    The best things in life are free.....
    • ScottMcGready
    • By ScottMcGready 22nd Sep 16, 10:30 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    ScottMcGready
    I too agree with BlueBella Scott and found your article very interesting and appreciate the effort you have put into it. I cannot understand why someone would need to be so rude to you
    Originally posted by Enigmatic Me
    Thanks for sharing my article . Don't worry about it!
    • taxiphil
    • By taxiphil 23rd Sep 16, 4:32 AM
    • 1,896 Posts
    • 3,271 Thanks
    taxiphil
    I agree with BlueBella and Enigmatic Me. I found your article and input on this thread really interesting and informative, Scott. It's always great on forums when someone shares their expertise and unique insight on a subject, and you're someone who clearly knows their stuff.

I can't fathom the reason for the attack on you, which comes across as hysterical, paranoid and rather bizarre. And I don't understand the implication that a blogger is a dark, sinister force with ulterior motives. Is there a difference between a blogger and somebody who regularly opines on a forum such as this? Anyone is free to blog, or write on forums, or both.
    • ScottMcGready
    • By ScottMcGready 23rd Sep 16, 5:23 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    ScottMcGready
    I agree with BlueBella and Enigmatic Me. I found your article and input on this thread really interesting and informative, Scott. It's always great on forums when someone shares their expertise and unique insight on a subject, and you're someone who clearly knows their stuff.

I can't fathom the reason for the attack on you, which comes across as hysterical, paranoid and rather bizarre. And I don't understand the implication that a blogger is a dark, sinister force with ulterior motives. Is there a difference between a blogger and somebody who regularly opines on a forum such as this? Anyone is free to blog, or write on forums, or both.
    Originally posted by taxiphil
    Don't worry about it! Although it was totally bizarre, I'm used to far worse (you can't work in anti-scams/anti-fraud without receiving a few death threats now and again!). I could understand resistance if I'd posted it here myself but I didn't and as I mentioned previously, I noticed the hits coming in from here and wanted to make myself available for scrutiny from the comping community. You guys do this sort of stuff all the time, so there could've been a remote possibility my article was wrong, or parts of it were off, and I wanted to give you guys the opportunity to call me out on it.

That's the beauty and the horror of the internet - anyone can have a soap box where they can broadcast their opinions to the world- good, bad, or misdirected. Honestly though, don't worry about it. I'm glad you found it useful/informative .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,747Posts Today

7,475Users online

Martin's Twitter