Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Nick
    • By MSE Nick 16th Sep 16, 11:27 AM
    • 195Posts
    • 63Thanks
    MSE Nick
    Money Moral Dilemma: Does our flatmate deserve our leftover cash?
    • 16th Sep 16, 11:27 AM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Does our flatmate deserve our leftover cash? 16th Sep 16 at 11:27 AM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I moved out of my flat recently and one of my two housemates did very little to get the place clean and ready for check-out. We got some credit back on our energy bill as well as a small refund on council tax, however my other housemate says she doesn't think he deserves any of the cash. Should we confront him?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
Page 2
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 21st Sep 16, 5:12 PM
    • 11,214 Posts
    • 10,553 Thanks
    Guest101
    I wish these 'moral' dilemmas would be kept off.

This is a legal argument and it's crystal clear.
    • Augustus the Strong
    • By Augustus the Strong 21st Sep 16, 5:32 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Augustus the Strong
    Too late now, you should have agreed this before or during the clean-up.
    • AnneMary
    • By AnneMary 21st Sep 16, 8:13 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    AnneMary
    And two wrongs make a right?

If you have a problem with something (e.g. lack of cleaning effort) you should have discussed it at the time.
    • meknowalot-51
    • By meknowalot-51 21st Sep 16, 8:14 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    meknowalot-51
    Definately.
    Yes,you should confront him about his lack of help in cleaning up the flat.Then tell him about the extra cash from bills paid and give him his third share,that way you end up not being a thief.Ask yourself this,if you were to share a flat again would you prefer the slightly unhelpful man or the female thief?
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 22nd Sep 16, 8:12 AM
    • 2,153 Posts
    • 1,341 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Whilst I don't disagree with the most of your post, rather than it being "moral" to give it back, it would be more a legal issue than a moral one!

Also, to suggest hiring a cleaner on a money saving website probably isn't the best suggestion.
    Originally posted by mattk_180

Some LL's require the flat required to be professionally cleaned with a copy of the receipt to be happy.

It's probably better in terms of time and no dispute of cost and split it with how ever many people living there.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 22nd Sep 16, 8:31 AM
    • 985 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    This isn't real. It's a hypothetical to "encourage discussion". And, as usual, for reasons best known to themselves, they have picked a hypothetical where it's impossible to have any opinion but the obvious and correct one. I don't know why they do this; I can only imagine they don't like argument and like to see threads where 100 people say the same thing one after the other.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 22nd Sep 16, 8:58 AM
    • 8,398 Posts
    • 11,006 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Some LL's require the flat required to be professionally cleaned with a copy of the receipt to be happy.

It's probably better in terms of time and no dispute of cost and split it with how ever many people living there.
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    Some landlords might require the tenants in bed by 10pm every night or it's smacked bottoms all round. It doesn't make it any more enforceable that a landlord's requirement to use "professional" cleaners. It's the end result that's important not the method of achieving it.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Maat
    • By Maat 22nd Sep 16, 9:32 AM
    • 430 Posts
    • 2,472 Thanks
    Maat
    The money is not to do with the clean-up but with the fact that the three of you shared the rent and bills for however long you were there. Why not use the money to take the three of you out for a nice meal and tell the idler she can pay for the drinks to make up for not joining in the clean-up?
    • crmism
    • By crmism 22nd Sep 16, 6:02 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    crmism
    Moving out
    Assuming this to be an authentic plea for advice, I'm unsure how refunds of energy costs and council tax bear any relation to the amount of work done to leave the place habitable and clean. Whether you like it or not, the third occupant is entitled to his share of the money. Why didn't you all sit down and agree beforehand who should do what, and write it down?

What bothers me more than anything, though, is the inference that the place was in such a disgusting state that it required so much work to clean it up and leave it in the condition in which you found it. If yours is a typical example, it's no wonder that so many caught in tenancy arrangements, when giving up possession, leave responsible landlords with the short straw, ie repairs and maintenance to make the place liveable for the next occupant.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 22nd Sep 16, 10:46 PM
    • 8,398 Posts
    • 11,006 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    What does cleaning have to do with repairs and maintenance?
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,898Posts Today

5,752Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • People keep telling me the man who said the offensive (in my view) comment on mental healt "gets worse" later in the show #bbcqt

• Don't tell me what I should be offended at! How ridiculous. I found the trivialisation of mental health offensive a? https://t.co/yTgO4pUFzT

• Deeply offensive comment from audience member on question time. Trivialising mental health conditions to make a political point. #bbcqt

• Follow Martin