Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AllTimeMiddle
    • By AllTimeMiddle 15th Sep 16, 5:43 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    AllTimeMiddle
    Multiple hard searches - wrong dob
    • 15th Sep 16, 5:43 PM
    Multiple hard searches - wrong dob 15th Sep 16 at 5:43 PM
    Can anyone advise pls? My broker recently applied for a mortgage for me, however upon checking my credit file I have seen 3 hard searches in 3 consecutive days. All of them have an incorrect dob. (by 3 months). All searches are by the correct lender, which has taken the valuation fee from my account. I called the broker yesterday, who saw that there was a mistake and would get it sorted, but didn't really leave me feeling very confident in them. I did provide my ID with dob on it, so it was a keying error.
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 15th Sep 16, 5:49 PM
    • 30,016 Posts
    • 15,958 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 15th Sep 16, 5:49 PM
    • 15th Sep 16, 5:49 PM
    What advice do you want?

Errors happen. Has your application been declined?

Which lender are we talking about as well?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • AllTimeMiddle
    • By AllTimeMiddle 15th Sep 16, 6:01 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AllTimeMiddle
    • 15th Sep 16, 6:01 PM
    • 15th Sep 16, 6:01 PM
    Just wondering if it's usual to have so many credit searches, and if an incorrect dob will usually lead to a decline. It's not the only reason that I'm doubting this broker, but just getting concerned that if it's declined I will be left with 3 searches and will find it difficult to go forward. We've been trying hard to keep a clean record / no credit applications for over a year etc.
    No decision has been made yet, but info isnt really forthcoming from the broker. It's Halifax.
    • Tattsjc
    • By Tattsjc 15th Sep 16, 7:23 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tattsjc
    • 15th Sep 16, 7:23 PM
    • 15th Sep 16, 7:23 PM
    Hey , are you sure there hard searchs and not soft searches? I would think any hard search would be carried out by the lender rather then the broker. (I could be wrong though)
    • lonestarfan
    • By lonestarfan 15th Sep 16, 7:41 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    lonestarfan
    • 15th Sep 16, 7:41 PM
    • 15th Sep 16, 7:41 PM
    It says all searches were done by the correct lender so I think it's the lender that's done the searches x3.
    • AllTimeMiddle
    • By AllTimeMiddle 15th Sep 16, 7:49 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AllTimeMiddle
    • 15th Sep 16, 7:49 PM
    • 15th Sep 16, 7:49 PM
    Thanks, yes the searches are definitely the lender. My file has 1 soft search and 3 hard searches. My wife's file has 2 soft searches and 3 hard searches.
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 15th Sep 16, 8:05 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 811 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    • 15th Sep 16, 8:05 PM
    • 15th Sep 16, 8:05 PM
    Mortgages are not a simple yes or "computer says no". Yes, it will flag up in a check if you need to go to a different lender but once they take a closer look at your file, It should be apparent that they have all been conducted by one lender in a very close timeframe.

Mistakes happen and even if a wrong DOB was provided, they have obviously located your info correctly hence the credit checks.

Try not to worry...
    Mummy to 2 little boys born in 2013 & 2015
    House on the market for 19 months ....SOLD! ...complete!
    Natalie
    • lewisa
    • By lewisa 15th Sep 16, 11:59 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    lewisa
    • 15th Sep 16, 11:59 PM
    • 15th Sep 16, 11:59 PM
    On a recent application I had 4 hard and 6 soft searches over the course of a week or so. This was a high street lender, no broker involved but the banks underwriters were involved.

I wouldnt worry. Aside from anything else they will all drop of the file in a short while anyway.
    • AllTimeMiddle
    • By AllTimeMiddle 15th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AllTimeMiddle
    • 15th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 15th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    Thought I'd update to say that our mortgage was approved!
    It was a total of 5 hard searches in the week following the application, and the wrong DOB didn't cause any problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

2,186Users online

Martin's Twitter