Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joeshmo
    • By joeshmo 15th Sep 16, 6:48 AM
    • 50Posts
    • 3Thanks
    joeshmo
    Water:Is it possible for a temporary disconnect?
    • 15th Sep 16, 6:48 AM
    Water:Is it possible for a temporary disconnect? 15th Sep 16 at 6:48 AM
    ....such as when people take round the world holidays...

I contacted Yorkshire Water using their online contact form asking for costings on a possible temporary disconnect. Their terms of reference online do not mention that but they do mention the cost of an external stop !!!! close. There is no mention of a cost to open it back up.
    I plan on taking an extended holiday abroad which may well be a few months but more than likely the year.. I do not use a meter.
    I requested they supply answer by letter. I had been helpful- i stated when i would need it doing for, i asked for costings and said after reading their reply, i would get back in touch with the go ahead. I said i was aware of the lack of sewerage facility(toilet) that would occur in the short time between the temporary disconnection and leaving for it. Website Contact form message supplying my account, preferred reply method and request for information was 2nd September. There was an auto reply to email, on my registered with them. (On 9th September i received an email by a (text removed by MSE Forum Team), their Customer Relationship Manager, who suggested he had options more beneficial and to ring. My request for a letter where he could have put his options instead got an email saying to ring. I sent back that he could have put those options in the letter and please just add them to the letter I had requested with the information I had requested.. If someone asks for specific information why do things like this happen in life?
    I sent my reply the same day to his email. As i write this it is gone 0630 on Thursday 15th September 2016 and yes i could have waited a few hours but would you not have assumed he would email me saying a letter was in fact on the way-he did not..
    So putting what has gone on aside, which was stated to put you in the picture with a little background, is it possible for a temporary disconnection..i have looked at my bill and i monthly pay up to a date(which is listed) in March 2017 which may be the thing causing problems or him just trying to be extra helpful by not being helpful..
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 03-10-2016 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Personal details
Page 2
    • joeshmo
    • By joeshmo 28th Sep 16, 9:10 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    joeshmo
    For those wondering if it ever occurs to you, when bad things/stalling/interference happen to you on a regular basis, almost every process/action, old things get forgotten about/processed 'finished with' as you suffer more indignations..
    • joeshmo
    • By joeshmo 1st Oct 16, 1:43 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    joeshmo
    Water Hijinks
    Sorry folks, please read this and tell me if you think i am correct in my assumptions.

---
    Dear Yorkshire Water,
    I currently am looking at the letter you sent me on 20th September 2016, signed by (text removed by MSE Forum Team) It states under the Temporary Disconnection subheading

“Whilst you are away we'll be more than happy to come and shut off your external stop !!!!. This will stop any water coming in, protecting your home against any leaks that might occur whilst you are away for a long period of time. You may be pleased to know this service is free of charge. Please get in touch with us at least 14 days before you leave and i'll arrange this for you. You'll also need to get in touch with us again at least 14 days before you return home so we can arrange this to be turned back on for you.”

Now that was from a letter from your company, Yorkshire Water. Note where it says the free of charge.

Your email from (text removed by MSE Forum Team) “Returning Home: Just let us know when you're coming home(we'll need 14 days notice) and we'll arrange for your supply to be turned back on. There's no charge for this. We'll then set up a new account and direct debit for you.” Earlier in this email it states “I agree with your comments and appreciate how confusing this must be for you” which sorry to say I view very condascending.

1. Now your Reconnection facility for a Temporary Disconnection is either free or not. I do not view it as an accident how (Text removed by MSE Forum Team) worded that letter.

2. A direct debit can be variable in amount. Your reply to my enquiry as to why it was necessary to close the account for a temporary disconnection was this from
    “!(Our Ref: LNSS-ADECWJ1)

Customer reference number! !29123! 4563! 48497! 9

Good afternoon Mr xxxx

Thank you for your email received on 28 September 2016.

I'm sorry you're unhappy about us closing your account and appreciate your
    concerns.

I understand that you own your home and that you'll need the water back on in the future.! We need to close your account to cancel the charges whilst you're away.! Just so you know, when we close accounts it doesn't affect the supply.

When we close your account it will cancel the charges from when you went away.! We'll then set it back up for you to raise charges from when you've come home.! By doing this, you won't be paying charges for the time you're on holiday.
    We can't leave your account open as it would mean you'll be paying for the charges whilst you're away and your account would also be showing there's a balance due.

If you've any questions or you'd like to talk to me please call me on 01274
    262327.! I'm available Monday to Friday between 8am and 4pm.

Regards

----
    I am sorry but your reply was just repeating the same thing but not explaining WHY you cannot reduce the direct debit to zero and leave the account open whilst I am away as it is a Temporary Disconnection. Please explain WHY you cannot vary the direct debit amount thus reduce it to zero because as far as I am concerned the present account is linked to my house, your letter which you sent to me calls into question the correctness of email information you have supplied as regards whether there will be a charge for opening back up the stop !!!!(reconnection from temporary disconnection.). Please check your copy of the letter (text removed by MSE Forum Team) sent me that I have quoted from.
    I am not happy with what is occurring here, as I think owning a house and having 2 differing accounts(albeit over different time periods) whilst you own it for water seems in some way incorrect, especially as it will just involve you closing an external valve to shut it off then reopening it and the account number, and account could quite easily remain the same and even in force. The direct debit can be changed in amount so you have not satisfactorily to me explained why the account needs to be closed down . You refer to it showing there's a balance due if you left it open and you agree I should not be paying for the water if I am not using it whilst away, err when you close the account I am assuming AS you have said I should not be paying for the water, you are wiping what is left to pay??? If this is not the case why have you not said. If you are wiping it, then what difference does it make whether account is open or not- you just have bills state monthly payment changed to zero, temporary STOPPAGE of supply whilst the customer away on protracted holiday?? Your email(from (text removed by MSE Forum Team)) states “Once we have an exact date from you we'll arrange for one of our team to visit your home to turn off your supply free of charge.! We can't keep your direct debit live and reduce your payments to zero, so we'll close your account and will let you know if there's a credit or balance.! We'll then cancel your direct debit, so there's no need for you to do this.” Err hence big question mark here. Compare that with the entirety of (text removed by MSE Forum Team) email above. And your letter from (text removed by MSE Forum Team) states “I agree that whilst you are away from your home for such a long time, water and sewerage charges will be a pointless cost.”(hmm didnt say actually HOW long! I said could be 6 months right up to a year and beyond.)

3. As I say I am not happy, can you also confirm that if this ends up happening when you have explained why correctly, if you will force a meter on me for reconnection from temporary disconnection?
    --------------------------------------------
    sorry guys but what are your thoughts on this??
    i am going away on a protracted holiday abroad. I require only a temporary disconnect, which should require just an external stop clock close and reopen and to say info supplied is either conflicting or not explained enough in one source is an understatement...
    Last edited by MSE Jessica; 07-10-2016 at 2:35 PM. Reason: Personal details
    • joeshmo
    • By joeshmo 1st Oct 16, 2:01 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    joeshmo
    i haven't sent that yet, and am currently in my city's Central Library. I will most definitely come back in to send it though after hearing honest opinions. And for info i am wholly aware of the bits top and bottom which don't need to go with it, that is why i am now cutting and pasting WITHOUT the first sentence and last paragraph starting 'sorry guys..' into the wp and placing it for a memory stick save for future send after hearing your opinions..
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 2nd Oct 16, 2:23 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 22,437 Thanks
    D_M_E
    Why does the DD have to be reduced to zero?

Why can you not keep it going but at a reduced amount of, say £5 or less in order to keep the account active and any credit thus accrued be applied to your next bill when you return?

If there are any arrears on your account then a reduced DD payment could also be used to clear these while you are away.
    • bumpercars99
    • By bumpercars99 2nd Oct 16, 2:26 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    bumpercars99
    I think you'd get some more helpful responses if you were a bit clearer in what you were asking. I'm trying to read your posts but they're a bit hard to follow.

If you made a bullet point list of what's happened and what your main questions are, it would be a lot easier for people to help you.

Am I right in saying you're going on holiday and want to stop your water bills while you're away? As people said in your other thread, this is likely to be more expensive to do than it would be to simply turn off the water yourself and pay only the standing charge.

What is the problem with this option? I looked up Yorkshire Water rates and the standing charges seem to be £28 a year. To me this would represent a much more sensible and likely cheaper option than paying YW to terminate then reinstate your supply.

I agree that you should turn the water off at the stopcock if you're away for a while as you don't want a leak over the winter but this is something you should be able to do yourself without involvement from YW.
    • joeshmo
    • By joeshmo 2nd Oct 16, 11:09 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    joeshmo
    D_M_E i agree but you have added another factor. D_M_E and anyone reading I was told in the letter, they agreed paying for the water i wasnt using was a 'pointless cost'. Direct Debits can be varied and they have not fully explained why they need to close the account rather than just reduce the direct debit to zero.. The letter phrases the reconnection seperate to the temporary disconnection and it should just involve yorkshire water closing and reopening an external valve. (Text removed by MSE Forum Team) states about the temporary disconnection then states this is free then states seperately 'you will also need to get in touch..' and refers to the reconnection. I think this is deliberate and was asking everyone's opinion. (Text removed by MSE Forum Team) email States there will be no charge for reconnection yet end of the day i hold my letter at home, emails can disappear.
    (Text removed by MSE Forum Team) mentions not paying charges whilst i am away, (Text removed by MSE Forum Team) a pointless cost whilst (text removed by MSE Forum Team) mentions closing my account and letting me know if there is a credit or balance-what (text removed by MSE Forum Team) says does not sound like they are wiping the monthly payments as i will not be using the water and them thinking its right for me not paying for the water i do not use which was in my original contact form to them to which (text removed by MSE Forum Team) replied and agreed. I originally contacted YW referring to whether i should be paying for the water which i do not use and asked for details on a temporary disconnection, full costs and notice. And no i am not stupid, it sounds to me like they are being deceitful. I contacted them originally requesting costs and details saying i would get back in touch on whether i had decided to go ahead. I have got these answers and am not that happy with the situation.

The answer by (text removed by MSE Forum Team) was their reply as to why they need to close the account, a direct question, and her reply imho does not explain why bearing in mind direct debits are changeable in amount and if they are not charging me for the water i do not use, they do not say they are not and some give the impression they are not going to charge me for that water, then why do they have to close the account to do that? My opinion having 2 different account numbers or not keeping the account open is somehow wrong as the disconnection is temporary and will only involve an external valve closing then opening on return, with me remaining the houseowner unless current plans change(no intention of them changing.) and i also am curious if they may be doing this to force a meter on me to reconnect or maybe just misleading me to actually pay for the water i do not use..
    Your opinion guys. I didnt want to put words in your mouths. I thought i would get more replies reference the actual standalone first post this thread.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 03-10-2016 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Personal details
    • bumpercars99
    • By bumpercars99 3rd Oct 16, 11:13 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    bumpercars99
    I see, you don't have a water meter?

I still think you're being hasty cutting off the water supply to the property for (in the grand scheme) a short-term vacancy. Maybe fitting a meter would benefit you, sounds like you live alone? Your usage is likely to be low.

I'll say it one more time, if you want help here or from Yorkshire Water, you need to be MUCH more clear about what has happened and what you want to happen now. Don't include any other information! I think you would benefit from using bullet points to focus on the key points. I'm not surprised YW haven't given the answers you want, they probably don't understand what you're asking for.
    • joeshmo
    • By joeshmo 3rd Oct 16, 4:55 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    joeshmo
    Bumpercars99 my name is Chris Downie, what is your name...
    • joeshmo
    • By joeshmo 3rd Oct 16, 5:04 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    joeshmo
    Not just personal details mse forum staff, yes you..if i want to state my instagram is IrrefutablyMeChrisD and, what i posted is true thus allowable...so sorry a name of someone else is perfectly allowable if i post evidence which I DID..you only used it as an excuse to access my post and you removed the quotes...FACT
    Last edited by joeshmo; 12-10-2016 at 11:54 AM.
    • joeshmo
    • By joeshmo 12th Oct 16, 11:53 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    joeshmo
    Yorkshire Water have not replied to my enquiry, content post #23 here without the bit for you top and bottom, and my name reinserted.
    Sent via their contact form facility on October 3rd...i got an autoreply to acknowledge i sent but nothing else since.
    Please only helpful..nothing else please from bumpercar person or cardew, who got what he wanted...
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 17th Oct 16, 1:00 PM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 899 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Wow you are majorly verbal.

In the time it took you to compose those massive incoherent posts, you could have just called the guy like he suggested and sorted the whole thing out !!
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • societys child
    • By societys child 17th Oct 16, 10:26 PM
    • 3,705 Posts
    • 3,663 Thanks
    societys child
    Truly fascinating, but I do need to lay down for a while now . . .

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,887Posts Today

6,153Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just been to @channel4's #bearhunt premier, a beautiful artist reworking BUT be warned, a surprisingly sad end, mini MSE in floods of tears

• Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• Follow Martin