Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Luke
    • By MSE Luke 14th Sep 16, 5:49 PM
    • 181Posts
    • 41Thanks
    MSE Luke
    MSE News: MSE Big Energy Switch Event 5: British Gas 300/yr saving for new &...
    • 14th Sep 16, 5:49 PM
    MSE News: MSE Big Energy Switch Event 5: British Gas 300/yr saving for new &... 14th Sep 16 at 5:49 PM
    We've negotiated cheaper than the cheapest gas & elec prices - and locking in now protects you...
    Read the full story:
    'MSE Big Energy Switch Event 5: British Gas 300/yr saving for new & existing customers'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havent already, join the forum to reply. If you arent sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 9
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 7th Oct 16, 11:27 AM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    polymaff
    Switch to Sainsbury's Price Promise September 2017(British Gas) now apparently complete - and a big, big saving (Eastern Region) made by choosing that tariff, rather than MSE's British Gas deal.
    • perky_v
    • By perky_v 8th Oct 16, 5:13 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    perky_v
    Called British Gas and apparently gas accounts are being delayed due to an issue with MSE and BG. Complaints case manager has taken over the issue to transfer the account. Not happy as I am on a high tariff for gas at the moment and winter is about to get underway!!

EDIT: Apparently affecting over 8000 customers!
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 8th Oct 16, 6:17 PM
    • 382 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @perky_v
    A very similar thing happened in February when BG won the last collective deal from MSE. Seems like some companies never learn lessons.
    • suemichelle
    • By suemichelle 9th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    suemichelle
    I'm beginning to wish that I hadn't switched. I was very happy with Eon's customer service and online account and seriously thought about staying with them and paying for a higher tariff just because of this. So far I've tried 3 times to submit my meter readings online with BG and 3 times I've had emails asking me to do it again (one addresssed to Dear None). Finally I thought I would use the 24 hour telephone service to do it only to go through all the security and be told that I can't do it that way either as their offices are closed. I don't think British Gas and myself will have a very long relationship!
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 9th Oct 16, 11:19 AM
    • 589 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    I'm beginning to wish that I hadn't switched. I was very happy with Eon's customer service and online account and seriously thought about staying with them and paying for a higher tariff just because of this. So far I've tried 3 times to submit my meter readings online with BG and 3 times I've had emails asking me to do it again (one addresssed to Dear None). Finally I thought I would use the 24 hour telephone service to do it only to go through all the security and be told that I can't do it that way either as their offices are closed. I don't think British Gas and myself will have a very long relationship!
    Originally posted by suemichelle
    CEC :

I've changed my mind, how do i cancel my switch?

If you change your mind after requesting the switch, you'll have a cooling-off period of 14 days in which to stop it going through.

You'll need to contact the supplier you're switching to directly to do this (contact details are at the bottom of this page). It can take up to two days for your new supplier to add your details to its systems, so wait this long before contacting it.
    yabba dabba don't
    • Raine E Day
    • By Raine E Day 9th Oct 16, 2:00 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 1,831 Thanks
    Raine E Day
    Originally posted by suemichelle
    I too have had multiple emails for metre readings even though I have resubmitted them each time, either via laptop or tablet app. (I used the same readings to avoid any confusion - these were taken on due day of switch, 3 Oct). I have even received a satisfaction survey email to complete of how my switch went! I have not even been notified that I actually have an account with BG. I spoke to an adviser last week who confirmed they have the readings who said the system is 'behind'.....

Does not inspire confidence....
    Rain drops are not the ones who bring the clouds.
    • bobstheboy
    • By bobstheboy 9th Oct 16, 5:49 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    bobstheboy
    I too have had multiple emails for metre readings even though I have resubmitted them each time, either via laptop or tablet app. (I used the same readings to avoid any confusion - these were taken on due day of switch, 3 Oct). I have even received a satisfaction survey email to complete of how my switch went! I have not even been notified that I actually have an account with BG. I spoke to an adviser last week who confirmed they have the readings who said the system is 'behind'.....

Does not inspire confidence....
    Originally posted by Raine E Day
    I had this problem when I switched in Feb. It appears the emails are automatically generated and it was sorted after I spoke to them. No problems this time because I have a Smart Metre.
    • SpanishBlue
    • By SpanishBlue 9th Oct 16, 11:13 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    SpanishBlue
    I too have had similar problems switching from E.ON to British Gas. When I log on to my new account I keep on getting asked for my opening readings despite inputting them numerous times both online and over the phone. One BG person said, and I quote "I wouldn't worry about it if I was you" Unbelievable reassurance from their customer service!
    • greenpark
    • By greenpark 10th Oct 16, 9:36 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    greenpark
    Same here
    The British Gas website accepted my opening meter readings but then another email arrived saying it hadn't. I am switching from E.on to BG. BG's phone system not accepting meter readings either. I eventually spoke to someone who started all over again. What a pain.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 10th Oct 16, 11:46 AM
    • 34,034 Posts
    • 142,246 Thanks
    silvercar
    Sainsbury energy switch: I now have an online account that thinks I have no services with them, an electricity reading submitted through their main website because my online account doesn't think I have electricity through them and a gas switch that has been delayed three times already!

I thought using the MSE energy club to switch was meant to be easy!!!

In the mean time my eon tariff (from last year's switch) will finish its fixed rate and I will be paying over the odds.
    • JC383
    • By JC383 11th Oct 16, 9:13 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    JC383
    Same here regarding entering meter readings, have received 2 emails asking for meter readings even though I'd submitted them on receiving the first. Logged onto the website and it states it requires an initial meter reading and even when you re-enter the numbers it doesn't update.

BG need to up their game.
    • Gizmo247
    • By Gizmo247 11th Oct 16, 10:31 AM
    • 453 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    Gizmo247
    I just got off the phone with BG as I noticed this morning that the electricity service had disappeared off my account. The lady at BG confirmed that both fuel were still being switched but that I had not provided any first readings which I had via the online service. She was adamant that I needed to phone them though so I gave her the historical readings for the switch date.

She then transferred me to IT support to discuss the missing electricity service. That lady there said that the account registration process had been triggered too early and recommended that we should stay off the online and app service until we get an email saying the setup was complete and providing us with our customer number starting with "8".

She also checked the database and the online readings that I had provided online were actually there so all is ready to go.

Apparently the reading window is open until the 13th Oct and that true account activation will occur shortly after that.
    Last edited by Gizmo247; 11-10-2016 at 10:41 AM.
    MFiT-T3 #149: {Q4/14} (46,447)-->(0) ~ +46,447=100%
    Mortgage Free: 1st October 2014
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 11th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    • 4,012 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Reading the last couple of pages of this thread brings on a sense of deja vu - anyone else remember the 100s of posts re EON accounts and meter readings ~ 2 years ago?? EXACTLY the same issues
    • Raine E Day
    • By Raine E Day 11th Oct 16, 12:29 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 1,831 Thanks
    Raine E Day
    I just got off the phone with BG as I noticed this morning that the electricity service had disappeared off my account. The lady at BG confirmed that both fuel were still being switched but that I had not provided any first readings which I had via the online service. She was adamant that I needed to phone them though so I gave her the historical readings for the switch date.

She then transferred me to IT support to discuss the missing electricity service. That lady there said that the account registration process had been triggered too early and recommended that we should stay off the online and app service until we get an email saying the setup was complete and providing us with our customer number starting with "8".

She also checked the database and the online readings that I had provided online were actually there so all is ready to go.

Apparently the reading window is open until the 13th Oct and that true account activation will occur shortly after that.
    Originally posted by Gizmo247
    Thanks for posting this. I was just about to phone as my electricity details have disappeared too but I will now wait and see what happens later this week. Strange business practice to send (many) emails suggesting you set up online account, submit metre readings and then tell you not to look at it!
    Rain drops are not the ones who bring the clouds.
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 11th Oct 16, 12:38 PM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    polymaff

Originally posted by Gizmo247
    Same thing here. Have been asked for readings - and have supplied them - three times. Yesterday they confirmed that they had all three pairs of readings - and which pair did I want them to use

This morning the electricity account has vanished - but I do have a customer number starting in 8. Have had from the start.

What a shambles.
    • jamesperrett
    • By jamesperrett 11th Oct 16, 2:50 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    jamesperrett
    Glad I didn't follow everyone from Eon to BG. I can still remember what they were like 8 years ago and it looks like they haven't improved - despite MSE's assurances to the contrary.
    • Gizmo247
    • By Gizmo247 11th Oct 16, 2:56 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    Gizmo247
    I think the correct approach is to submit your readings online once and ignore repeated requests thereafter. I also think there should be no harm in phoning them through too.
    MFiT-T3 #149: {Q4/14} (46,447)-->(0) ~ +46,447=100%
    Mortgage Free: 1st October 2014
    • Danceswithhorses
    • By Danceswithhorses 11th Oct 16, 10:23 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Danceswithhorses
    British Gas.....same old same old
    Well at least i now know i'm not the only one.
    I was a previously happy Eon customer, but moved to BG for a cheap collective deal, and now i wish i hadn't.
    I've given my opening readings via app (once), website (twice), and phone call (once), but the website still hasn't changed in 7 days, from 'need opening readings', and emails telling me how important it is for me to give them my opening readings, continue to be received.
    I've now also contacted them by website message, and told them the readings again (that 5 times now), and mentioned to them what a poor first impression this is, and how unhappy i am....it can take 3 days for them to reply apparently.
    NOT IMPRESSED BRITISH GAS
    Last edited by Danceswithhorses; 12-10-2016 at 1:10 PM.
    • unhappychappy16
    • By unhappychappy16 12th Oct 16, 1:56 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    unhappychappy16
    Ive just made a post in the forums after having nothing but problems with my account setup at british gas i wish i had never switched now, infact im going to see if i can get out of the contract dealing with british gas is like talking to a donkey.
  • British Gas Rep Matt
    I too have had similar problems switching from E.ON to British Gas. When I log on to my new account I keep on getting asked for my opening readings despite inputting them numerous times both online and over the phone. One BG person said, and I quote "I wouldn't worry about it if I was you" Unbelievable reassurance from their customer service!
    Originally posted by SpanishBlue
    Hi SpanishBlue, I understand your concern but it's just that the link to submit opening readings isn't dynamic.
    This means it stays available even after you've selected the link & submitted your readings.
    As long as you've submitted the readings, you can ignore the link and once your account's set up it will be removed. Thanks, Matt
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

8Posts Today

3,729Users online

Martin's Twitter