Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Luke
    • By MSE Luke 14th Sep 16, 5:49 PM
    • 144Posts
    • 31Thanks
    MSE Luke
    MSE News: MSE Big Energy Switch Event 5: British Gas £300/yr saving for new &...
    • 14th Sep 16, 5:49 PM
    MSE News: MSE Big Energy Switch Event 5: British Gas £300/yr saving for new &... 14th Sep 16 at 5:49 PM
    We've negotiated cheaper than the cheapest gas & elec prices - and locking in now protects you...
    Read the full story:
    'MSE Big Energy Switch Event 5: British Gas £300/yr saving for new & existing customers'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 4
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 20th Sep 16, 12:42 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    polymaff
    Nor is it money saving to switch from an efficient supplier to an incompetent one just to get a cheaper tariff.
    Originally posted by Sosumi
    Not necessarily! I stayed with Scottish Power for several years as the £~150 per annum compensation for their !!!!-ups was something I quite got used to receiving.

I had something akin to withdrawal symptoms when I switched to EdF - but not for long.
    • Leear
    • By Leear 20th Sep 16, 12:54 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Leear
    Just to say thank you for savings
    I've just been informed by British Gas (BG) that the projected "Extra Spend" I have saved from their Standard Tariff is £322.82 per year by switching from BG to BG on this MSE Big Energy Switch and I can still use my Smart Meter
    • SoftKittyWarmKitty
    • By SoftKittyWarmKitty 21st Sep 16, 11:38 AM
    • 331 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    SoftKittyWarmKitty
    I've put in my annual usage from the annual statement from my current supplier (Scottish Power) and as I'm on the standard tariff (my fixed rate ended in June and I didn't get around to changing), the savings are good. However there's only a £1 per month difference between BG and Eon.

BG - Est costs £781pa / £65pm

Eon - Est costs £786pa / £66pm

Both give £30 cashback after a few months and I'll save around £340/£335 respectively with them, so either will be a big saving. Is there a particular benefit to going with BG which is part of the switch, vs. going with Eon which isn't part of the switch?
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 21st Sep 16, 11:42 AM
    • 345 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    No special benefit going with the switch over the E.ON offer.
    • Haffiana
    • By Haffiana 21st Sep 16, 1:59 PM
    • 706 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    Haffiana
    Go with BG. Eon will not let you switch to whatever their best new tariff is when this one ends, whereas BG will.
    • brightonjan
    • By brightonjan 21st Sep 16, 2:34 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    brightonjan
    British Gas
    AHelp please. Various issues....
    I hope to move in the next 6 weeks or so to a house where I will be cooking on gas for the first time and also have a gas fire. (Have had and will have gas central heating). I am wondering about changing to the British Gas Offer.
    If I change suppliers to it now, can I transfer it to my new house?
    Is there enough time to do so?
    Will I have to pay to move it?
    How can I do a price comparison when I don't know how much gas
    I will be using?

Soz more info - am currently on EDF Energy EDF Energy Simply Fixed May17
    for my gas and electricity

Thanks had no realised what a stress moving can be.
    Last edited by brightonjan; 21-09-2016 at 2:54 PM. Reason: More info
    • Tharweb
    • By Tharweb 21st Sep 16, 7:45 PM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    Tharweb
    This is a tough decision for me: apparently the BSE5 is £40/year more expensive for me than my Feb 2017 BSE4 fix, but it is fixed now until Oct 2017... the question is, will something better come along before my Feb 2017 fix expires? If so, then I'm better sticking, if not, I'd be better switching now while I can (and with the £30 cashback it's only £10/year more - estimated). It's also good to have a longer deal with BG as I now have a smart meter from them...
    Originally posted by zexpe
    I am in a similar situation to you. Currently on the Feb 17 fix and the Oct 17 fix is coming up £40 more expensive for me. But like you say, the £30 cashback reduces it to £10 a year and I don't have the worry of finding another deal in Feb 17,.I'm going for it!
    This site has saved me a fortune ...it's also cost me a fortune!
    © Tharweb 2006
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 21st Sep 16, 8:11 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    polymaff
    It's amazing how creative our energy suppliers are trying to be. I note that, in the Eastern Region, Eon's latest deals charge exactly the same per kWh for gas as does the existing Sainsbury's tariff. What a coincidence

The difference, though is all in the standing charge. Has anyone else seen a standing charge higher than Eon's remarkable 66.654p per day? That's the equivalent of being asked to pay the price of 41.5 kWh of gas each day - over 15,000 kWh per annum - before you actually use any gas at all.

Crazy World
    Last edited by polymaff; 21-09-2016 at 8:15 PM.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 21st Sep 16, 10:56 PM
    • 25,772 Posts
    • 12,363 Thanks
    Cardew
    I am in a similar situation to you. Currently on the Feb 17 fix and the Oct 17 fix is coming up £40 more expensive for me. But like you say, the £30 cashback reduces it to £10 a year and I don't have the worry of finding another deal in Feb 17,.I'm going for it!
    Originally posted by Tharweb
    The higher Daily Standing Charge(DSC) for both gas and electricity has the biggest effect on those with low consumption.

I have high consumption and the Oct 17 Fix is £30pa cheaper than the Feb 17 fix, and the £30 cashback is on top of those savings.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 22nd Sep 16, 4:27 PM
    • 3,891 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Currently on the EON MSM March 2016 fix.
    Finally managed to find the EON Saver v2 1 yr fix tariffs for my area - staggeringly it would actually beat the kwh price for eleccy I'm currently paying with the same kwh rate for gas BUT the standing charges are nearly £100 pa more !!!
    • Neo08
    • By Neo08 22nd Sep 16, 6:52 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Neo08
    Does anybody know if there is a limit on how many people can switch to the new BG collective switch?

Just thinking if it's worth waiting for a week before switching from the Feb 17 switch to take advantage of the slightly cheaper price per unit
    • bobstheboy
    • By bobstheboy 22nd Sep 16, 7:02 PM
    • 546 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    bobstheboy
    Does anybody know if there is a limit on how many people can switch to the new BG collective switch?

Just thinking if it's worth waiting for a week before switching from the Feb 17 switch to take advantage of the slightly cheaper price per unit
    Originally posted by Neo08
    That's what I call a real MONEY SAVER !!

You may save a couple of pounds, I have made the same switch today. It is a calculated risk but I prefer to know what I am paying for the next year than looking again in five months.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 22nd Sep 16, 7:08 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @neo08
    Last time CEC had a limit of 130,000 (for the February 16 BG switch) and then surprise that limit was increased again to encourage more people to sign up.
    As they haven't published a figure I would assume it is unlimited, given the big song and dance they made last time.
    Just my opinion of course.
    • mariotr
    • By mariotr 23rd Sep 16, 2:37 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mariotr
    Can I join this tariff if I have an Economy 7 meter? This is how I have it set up currently with Eon (using a standard tariff).
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 23rd Sep 16, 6:51 PM
    • 25,772 Posts
    • 12,363 Thanks
    Cardew
    Can I join this tariff if I have an Economy 7 meter? This is how I have it set up currently with Eon (using a standard tariff).
    Originally posted by mariotr
    Welcome to the forum.

Are you asking if you can have a normal one-rate(24/7) tariff with an Economy 7 meter?

If so the answer is yes! BG will aggregate the consumption from both registers e.g 1,000kWh on peak and 200kWh on off-peak will be treated as 1,200kWh at a single rate.

P.S. the term 'standard tariff' is confusing in this context. You can be on an Economy 7 'standard tariff' or a 'normal' standard tariff.
    • mariotr
    • By mariotr 23rd Sep 16, 7:01 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mariotr
    Welcome to the forum.

Are you asking if you can have a normal one-rate(24/7) tariff with an Economy 7 meter?

If so the answer is yes! BG will aggregate the consumption from both registers e.g 1,000kWh on peak and 200kWh on off-peak will be treated as 1,200kWh at a single rate.

P.S. the term 'standard tariff' is confusing in this context. You can be on an Economy 7 'standard tariff' or a 'normal' standard tariff.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    Many thanks for your reply Cardew, that's exactly what I was asking
    Sorry about the confusion - I thought the term standard was used to refer to a single-rate tariff, but presumably a standard tariff is just the default one that you get when joining via the supplier's website.

Thanks again, I think I'll be switching soon given that EOn's saver tariff is limited to new customers.
    • M271
    • By M271 23rd Sep 16, 7:45 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    M271
    For me the increase in my annual bill will be only £2 so with the £30 cash back it's worth me switching from the BG MSE Collective
    Feb 17 to this Oct 17 one.
    Does the switch take place immediately or does it take some days?
    • brila
    • By brila 24th Sep 16, 7:24 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    brila
    I can't do a comparison - I just get an "unavailable" message with a broken lightbulb picture. I tried last night and this evening, but am getting the same message. Is it a general problem or just me?
    MFiT-T4 No. 61 £23,231/£55,947.
    £
    32,716 left to go!
    • denise38
    • By denise38 24th Sep 16, 7:45 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    denise38
    I don't have Gas just now and am moving in 5 weeks to a property with gas . I am out of my fix and need to sort my electricity out . Will I be able to grab the BG deal for new property given I need it to start on a specific date . If not will need to get an electricity deal I can take with me,
    Last edited by denise38; 24-09-2016 at 7:57 PM.
    I have never met a calorie yet I didn't like!!
    • planetf1
    • By planetf1 25th Sep 16, 12:33 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    planetf1
    As a current collective fixed dec 2017 customer I received an email about a new special tariff, thinking this might be the collective fixed - but it's called Home Energy Fixed 2017 and seems a lot different:

collective fixed Dec 2016 - my current tariff
    26.00 p/day 9.16/kWh electricity
    26.01 p/day 3.02/kWh gas

Home Energy Fixed Sep 2017 - from their special email
    26.01 p/day 9.82/kWh/electricity
    26.02 p/day 3.04/kWh gas

Collective Fixed Oct 2017 - from MSE
    21.809 p/day 9.041 p/kWh electricity
    21.809 p/day 2.657/kWh gas

correct? If so the collective fixed is a super deal, whilst email persuading me to go home energy fixed is a bit of a con (it's a decent tariff, just not the best they offer... esp given the wording of the email).
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,504Posts Today

6,092Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @PapaSlavs: @MartinSLewis hi, how much per month should I typically charge my daughter board & lodgings now she's left uni and become an?

• RT @EssexHebridean: 13 years, 2 months and 6 days after taking it out, we've just paid the final lump sum off our mortgage. #MortgageFree @?

• Many first time buyers panicked about Help to Buy mortgage guarantee ending, here's my video on what it really mean? https://t.co/uGD6sG4hvl

• Follow Martin