Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Luke
    • By MSE Luke 14th Sep 16, 5:49 PM
    • 181Posts
    • 41Thanks
    MSE Luke
    MSE News: MSE Big Energy Switch Event 5: British Gas 300/yr saving for new &...
    • 14th Sep 16, 5:49 PM
    MSE News: MSE Big Energy Switch Event 5: British Gas 300/yr saving for new &... 14th Sep 16 at 5:49 PM
    We've negotiated cheaper than the cheapest gas & elec prices - and locking in now protects you...
    Read the full story:
    'MSE Big Energy Switch Event 5: British Gas 300/yr saving for new & existing customers'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havent already, join the forum to reply. If you arent sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 11
    • Danceswithhorses
    • By Danceswithhorses 13th Oct 16, 8:23 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Danceswithhorses
    One of the reasons I've always been reluctant to change suppliers is the bad press it gets as there always seems to be problems.
    Originally posted by JC383
    I've changed gas+elec many times over the years, and all have gone pretty smoothly...the British Gas one being the exception.
    • fussypensioner
    • By fussypensioner 13th Oct 16, 10:27 PM
    • 2,020 Posts
    • 4,355 Thanks
    fussypensioner
    Got an email from EDF my previous supplier telling me my switch to BG is completed. However, all I have is a welcome e mail from BG. They also asked me to register for an online account but I can't because I don't have an account number. I haven't been asked to give meter readings yet either.

EDF have asked me to go back to them and given the feedback on here I will be contacting them tomorrow. I also remember now why I switched away from BG 5 years ago - its because of their terrible customer service.
    Holding back the years...

• jelv
    • By jelv 14th Oct 16, 10:28 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    jelv
    Can't log in
    Trying to log in the the BG site this morning I'm getting

Proxy Error

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
    The proxy server could not handle the request POST /uaa/login.
    Reason: Error reading from remote server
    • bobstheboy
    • By bobstheboy 14th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    • 555 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    bobstheboy
    Trying to log in the the BG site this morning I'm getting
    Originally posted by jelv
    Just signed into my account no problems
    • jeglet
    • By jeglet 14th Oct 16, 11:06 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    jeglet
    Late into this thread as I checked to see I am not the only one confused by multiple emails and ever changing service start dates. Cold comfort for us all to be in the same boat! I have 4 gas accounts, 2 x 2 duplicates, plus 1 energy account, 2 sets of meter readings submitted but none registered yet. Hopefully this does not mean I have to pay 5 times...
    • jelv
    • By jelv 14th Oct 16, 12:45 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    jelv
    Just signed into my account no problems
    Originally posted by bobstheboy
    I'm now getting

Oops, something went wrong.

Sorry, we're having technical problems at the moment. Please come back and try again later.
    • Zippy69
    • By Zippy69 14th Oct 16, 4:44 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Zippy69
    For those already with British Gas on the MSE Collective Fix (ending this December) that took advantage of the new Collective Fix (ending October 2017), be sure to check your new direct debit and projections as failure to do so may lead to a heart attack!!

Login in to British Gas and go to Your account > Manage account > Check my plan

My previous direct debit was 81pm

Once I switched to the new Collective, BG automatically increased my direct debit to a whopping 125pm!

They then projected that at the end of the fix, they would owe me 394!!

Luckily, you can change the direct debit amount which in turn changes the projected figures at the end of the switch.

I changed mine to the minimum allowed which was 96pm which instead means I'm projected to be in credit by 11p at the end of the fix!

The money is better in your account than theirs!
    • Crinkmeister
    • By Crinkmeister 14th Oct 16, 5:20 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    Crinkmeister
    So my original post indicating my unhappy experience so far and BG's response have been deleted. I wonder why!!

I have had four emailed supply dates, plus the original estimate, which makes a total of 5 dates so far.

Obviously the first two dates have passed, so the latest supply date (for gas) is 25th October.

Can someone please explain what is going on? Switching time is supposed to be 17 days: It is now 24 days since I started this process
    • jelv
    • By jelv 14th Oct 16, 6:48 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    jelv
    Is this the one?

British Gas are making a pigs @R$ out of my transfer as well. I have had three start dates so far - two have been and gone. I have input my electric meter reading twice and my gas meter once. Nothing showing on either account. Not looking good.
    Originally posted by Crinkmeister
    Hi Crinkmeister, that's certainly doesn't sound like a great start.
    However I'm sure we've got your readings it’s just that you can't view them until the account is fully set up & you'll still see a link to submit readings until that time.
    In the meantime, if you'd like to pop me a copy of the emails you've received with the different start dates and I'll look into what's caused this. Just email your details to me at talktous@britishgas.co.uk & include your MSE username & MSE Forums in the subject heading. Cheers, Matt
    If so it's still where you posted it: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71443940#9
    Last edited by jelv; 14-10-2016 at 6:49 PM. Reason: Add link to original post
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 14th Oct 16, 7:25 PM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    polymaff
    Just had a "How did we do?" email:

Dear Polymaff

Thank you for recently buying from us.

We are committed to using what our customers tell us to improve our service and would appreciate you taking a few minutes to tell us how we did.

Ha bloody ha
    • Crinkmeister
    • By Crinkmeister 14th Oct 16, 7:30 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    Crinkmeister
    Is this the one?

If so it's still where you posted it: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71443940#9
    Originally posted by jelv
    Thanks jelv. When I did a search for all my posts, it didn't show up. Perhaps I am going mad!!
    • wolfers
    • By wolfers 14th Oct 16, 7:40 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    wolfers
    This switch has so far been a disaster.

British Gas customer service is unbelievably bad.

EVERY time I call I get an automated message saying how busy they are and how I should maybe use their website. I've never successfully spoken to a human being.

I sent an online form instead and was told it would take three days to get a response. Today I got an e-mail saying how busy they are and that I'd have to wait TEN days for a response.

I got an e-mail today saying I should by now have received an e-mail confirming my payments and usage. I haven't.

I got an e-mail today saying I should now register online using my customer number, which is on all e-mails and letters. It's on none of them, so I can't register.

This is astonishingly poor customer service. I'm cancelling the switch and sticking with Scottish Power. They actually answer the phone.
    • Danceswithhorses
    • By Danceswithhorses 14th Oct 16, 8:18 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Danceswithhorses
    Just had a "How did we do?" email:

Dear Polymaff

Thank you for recently buying from us.

We are committed to using what our customers tell us to improve our service and would appreciate you taking a few minutes to tell us how we did.

Ha bloody ha
    Originally posted by polymaff
    I had that also.
    I was brutally honest, but polite.
    Would i recommend BG...you're having a laugh
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 14th Oct 16, 9:57 PM
    • 34,045 Posts
    • 142,312 Thanks
    silvercar
    So my original post indicating my unhappy experience so far and BG's response have been deleted. I wonder why!!

I have had four emailed supply dates, plus the original estimate, which makes a total of 5 dates so far.

Obviously the first two dates have passed, so the latest supply date (for gas) is 25th October.

Can someone please explain what is going on? Switching time is supposed to be 17 days: It is now 24 days since I started this process
    Originally posted by Crinkmeister
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. I would start tweeting and facebooking them but I have moved to sainsbury energy (run by BG) who don't seem to have a social media presence.
    • unhappychappy16
    • By unhappychappy16 15th Oct 16, 12:15 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    unhappychappy16
    Matt i really want to share with you links to my screenshots of my messed up account without any account info showing, just to show you and the public all the website errors im getting.

But im not allowed to post links or upload images how lucky is that for you!

Btw ive had 3 different people tell me my account is setup but what the website is showing me is totally different, i would love to add the images to prove it but hey ....... its not allowed here so matt can get away with saying website faults aint true.
    Last edited by unhappychappy16; 15-10-2016 at 12:26 PM.
    • Raine E Day
    • By Raine E Day 16th Oct 16, 9:47 AM
    • 774 Posts
    • 1,831 Thanks
    Raine E Day
    Evenutally my online account is showing metre readings. I thought all was well until I clicked on tariffs just to check everything one last time. I have looked at this previously and each time they were correct but my level of trust in BG is somewhat lacking.....

For many years previously, with BG, NPower and Eon two electric metre readings (which are totalled) have been used because before I lived here, there were storage heaters. On appearance of metre readings on my account, my tariff has now been changed to what I assume is Economy Seven despite being on MSE Collective.
    • Supplier British Gas (British Gas Trading Limited)
    • Tariff name Collective Fix Oct 2017
    • Tariff type Fixed[1]
    • Payment method Monthly Direct Debit
    • Day unit rate 12.70p per kWh
    • Night unit rate 4.32p per kWh
    • Standing charge 21.81p per day
    So, a word of warning to anyone in same situation who has to submit two electric readings - check your tariff again. So, more hassle trying to sort this out with CS tomorrow...
    Last edited by Raine E Day; 16-10-2016 at 10:10 AM.
    Rain drops are not the ones who bring the clouds.
    • mariotr
    • By mariotr 16th Oct 16, 10:38 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mariotr
    Evenutally my online account is showing metre readings. I thought all was well until I clicked on tariffs just to check everything one last time. I have looked at this previously and each time they were correct but my level of trust in BG is somewhat lacking.....

For many years previously, with BG, NPower and Eon two electric metre readings (which are totalled) have been used because before I lived here, there were storage heaters. On appearance of metre readings on my account, my tariff has now been changed to what I assume is Economy Seven despite being on MSE Collective.
    • Tariff type Fixed[1]
    So, a word of warning to anyone in same situation who has to submit two electric readings - check your tariff again. So, more hassle trying to sort this out with CS tomorrow...
    Originally posted by Raine E Day
    I have the feeling I'll be running into the same issue soon...let me know how it goes!
    • unhappychappy16
    • By unhappychappy16 16th Oct 16, 12:28 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    unhappychappy16
    Ive had 6 e-mails to date now all asking for meter readings, ive given them everytime they asked. Im saving all the e-mails which may be used in my complaint. 1 week ago my gas supply said it was setup now it says its not setup nor is my eletricity setup and both are still asking for meter readings WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON ?
    I really wish i had not switched over to british gas
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 16th Oct 16, 12:47 PM
    • 26,058 Posts
    • 12,527 Thanks
    Cardew
    I am on the Collective Fix Oct 2017 from 19 Sep 2016 and also have a E7 meter. They have correctly added the totals on the two registers. i.e.

19 to 29 Sep 2016 - 39kWh on E7 register

19 to 29 Sep 2016 - 135kWh on daytime register

Charged for 174kWh @8.59p/kWh(less VAT @5%)

So they can get it right!
    • Raine E Day
    • By Raine E Day 17th Oct 16, 10:19 AM
    • 774 Posts
    • 1,831 Thanks
    Raine E Day
    • Tariff type Fixed[1]
    BG have told me this morning that this is a computer error and their records show the correct tariff. Because there are so many mistakes with the online accounts there is a backlog and I have joined the queue as my account will have to be manually amended. This apparently could take some time. It is just not good enough that the tariff shows as something completely different to what I switched to and is what is on my contract. I was obviously very annoyed, insisting on getting something in writing today, and have now received an email from the person I spoke to confirming the correct tariff. The website is clearly not fit for purpose.
    Rain drops are not the ones who bring the clouds.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,561Posts Today

7,303Users online

Martin's Twitter