Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 14th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    • 5,136Posts
    • 9,794Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    0 WOW
    Snacks you take on a flight
    • 14th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    0 WOW
    Snacks you take on a flight 14th Sep 16 at 1:27 PM
    What do you take?

I'm looking for non messy non smelly non melting food. Plus I don't eat bread.
    Rejoined Slimming World 28/7/16
    Lost 2st 2lb first time Need to lose that again
    Lost 10lb 1st 6lb to go
Page 2
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 15th Sep 16, 10:25 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Ganga
    Depending on the flight time it could be the first opportunity to relax and have a little bite to eat. Even a mid morning flight from Gatwick would mean us loading the car at 4 or 5 a.m. Erring on the side of caution, 90 mins to the airport, an hour to park up, check-in/drop bags, get airside, wander round the shops, watch the planes etc.

So by the time we take off been on the go for perhaps 6 hours or more.

On a non catered flight, we usually either go for a "meal deal" at Boots or take some sausage rolls and those little pots of Pringles that are 3 for a £ at Poundland or £1.50+ each on board.

I'm always fascinated how bags of crisps expand and become like an almost solid cushion once airbourne, I get so tempted to "pop" the bag but in these nervy times, probably not a good idea!
    Originally posted by pompeyrich
    The packets are filled with nitrogen (at least Walkers are ) to keep the crisps fresh,maybe the nitrogen expands in the aircraft due to the increased pressure?
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 15th Sep 16, 11:00 AM
    • 702 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Aircrafts are pressurised below normal. I think they are pressurised to the equivalent of 7000' so any sealed bag item contains air or anything else will expand as the aircraft climbs
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 15th Sep 16, 11:01 AM
    • 1,552 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    eDicky
    The packets are filled with nitrogen (at least Walkers are ) to keep the crisps fresh,maybe the nitrogen expands in the aircraft due to the increased pressure?
    Originally posted by Ganga
    In the reduced cabin air pressure the enclosed volume of gas in the bag expands to fill it. Another effect is the leakage of liquids/gels such as toothpaste if not carefully capped.
    Evolution, not revolution
    • Blue264
    • By Blue264 15th Sep 16, 11:11 AM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    Blue264
    On a non catered flight, we usually either go for a "meal deal" at Boots or take some sausage rolls and those little pots of Pringles that are 3 for a £ at Poundland or £1.50+ each on board.
    Originally posted by pompeyrich
    Flying home from the UK, I always get a Boots Mexican Bean wrap, or a couple of M&S salads.

Flying out from Switzerland, I always try to get a bottle of lemon juice with mint because it's so refreshing and really hydrates me.

To be honest, BA's food is woeful to very moderate - even in First and Business.
    Originally posted by dickydonkin
    Totally agree. On my last three BA flights, I've given my food to my OH because it was far too salty.

Best inflight food I've ever had is with Air New Zealand. Best coffee and fastest meal service is with (surprisingly) Aegean. Most generous food service is if you get a Swiss flight at the end of the day. I don't know if this is standard, but on our last flight home to Zurich (2hr 10mins), my OH got 4 rounds of coffee and three bagettes.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 15th Sep 16, 11:54 AM
    • 14,347 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    hollydays
    A prepacked salad?
    Some baby bel cheese ?
    A packet of crisps?
    • missytake
    • By missytake 20th Sep 16, 12:47 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    missytake
    Cant you have a bite to eat at the airport before you board the plane?
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 20th Sep 16, 6:59 AM
    • 11,032 Posts
    • 14,762 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Cant you have a bite to eat at the airport before you board the plane?
    Originally posted by missytake
    You can but, with inflated airport prices, it's not very MSE.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • greatgimpo
    • By greatgimpo 20th Sep 16, 7:06 AM
    • 624 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    greatgimpo
    You can but, with inflated airport prices, it's not very MSE.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Unless you prepare it and bring it with you.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 20th Sep 16, 4:22 PM
    • 11,032 Posts
    • 14,762 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Unless you prepare it and bring it with you.
    Originally posted by greatgimpo
    Then you might as well eat it on the plane.
    • Moto2
    • By Moto2 20th Sep 16, 5:54 PM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 1,474 Thanks
    Moto2
    We once watched a guy ask the attendant for an empty cup.
    He then proceeded to unwrap some hard boiled eggs, cracked them on the side of the window and then peeled each one into the cup.
    He ended up with half a dozen lined up on his seat tray before eating them one by one, we called him Luke
    Romanes eunt domus Romani ite domum
    • sazaccount
    • By sazaccount 21st Sep 16, 12:05 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    sazaccount
    Pack up ideas if you take lunches to work/out... wraps/pitta bread/pasta, packet of crisps, fruit, cereal bar

when I flew out of the UK i bought one of the boots meal deals getting a wrap instead of the sandwich, its not much more than outside the airport. Flying from Aus to NZ I had picked up some trail mix and cereal bars before going to the airport and an empty water bottle, all of the airports i've been in (its been a few in the last 12 months) they've had a place to refill water, on my first flight I had some of the super concentrate squash as less than 100 ml. But other than a couple of low budget flights in asia the food has been alright on the planes and you can normally walk to the back and get another bag of pretzels/drinks etc if you ask nicely.

And some or your favourite sweets to pick at (if you have a sweet tooth)

Hope your going somewhere nice
    [FONT="Arial"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"] Car Loan = £5499£5271 4753 4293 £ 3340.68£2980.54 £1908 £1431 - Bye Bye Car
    Credit card = £765 £553 £475 £349 £0

Living it up in New Zealand had an amazing 8 months travelling before arriving with saving help from MSE forums
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 21st Sep 16, 6:27 PM
    • 11,032 Posts
    • 14,762 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I've never found long haul a problem. The food provided is usually more than adequate.

An exception was a night flight from Kuala Lumpur where I didn't get a proper meal for ten hours. I didn't realise at the time that I could have asked the cabin crew for a snack in between.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 21st Sep 16, 6:48 PM
    • 2,231 Posts
    • 3,152 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    No English bread is made by the Chorleywood method which uses a stronger yeast so the bread rises faster and leaves some of the yeast in the bread which can cause bloating and discomfort in sensitive people.
    Originally posted by welshbookworm
    Not all English bread is made by the Chorleywood method!

How about Artisan breads and sourdough bread, for example?

I wouldn't choose to eat anything on board a short haul flight. Nothing worse than someone sat next to you chewing their face off. Plenty of eateries and restaurants in the departure lounge to grab a bite to eat before boarding if you're hungry.
    • Tom The Great Sebastian
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 21st Sep 16, 8:08 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    I take a small jar of hot pepper sauce and a couple of limes on most flights.
    I only ever drink booze on planes so the sauce is for the first couple of Bloody Mary's and the limes are for the remaining G+Ts.
    Very few airlines provide either.
    If I'm peckish I usually ask the stewardess to bring me some nibbles.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 22nd Sep 16, 4:38 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 580 Thanks
    ibizafan
    If necessary, we get a Boot's meal deal, depending on the time of the flight. Just returned from a B.A flight from Las Vegas, and had one of the worst breakfasts ever. A horrible omelette accompanied by a slice of tomato and a couple of nasty wedges of potato. Truly dreadful. B.A long haul food does not impress me in the slightest, compared to Emirates and Singapore Airlines.
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 22nd Sep 16, 6:28 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    Pringles.

On board they cost about £7.95 for a tiddly packet so I like to look smug with my big stack Aldi pack costing 89p.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

268Posts Today

1,710Users online

Martin's Twitter