Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mimi Arc en ciel
    • By Mimi Arc en ciel 14th Sep 16, 12:56 PM
    • 4,378Posts
    • 5,686Thanks
    Mimi Arc en ciel
    0 WOW
    London Christmas
    • 14th Sep 16, 12:56 PM
    0 WOW
    London Christmas 14th Sep 16 at 12:56 PM
    ARGRGHHHH The C word!!!

100 days though!

Me and my friends are planning a girly day out in December for some (last minute!) Christmas shopping and tagging along will be my 9yo

We plan on doing the "usual suspect" of shops (Harrods, Hamleys, Choccywoccy etc) and visiting the Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park

Is there anywhere else that we ought to visit?

Thanks in Advance
    Very proud mummy of 2!
Page 1
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 15th Sep 16, 9:06 PM
    • 3,379 Posts
    • 2,822 Thanks
    Sharon87
    • 15th Sep 16, 9:06 PM
    • 15th Sep 16, 9:06 PM
    Westfield in White City is usually pretty good, it has great shops and it usually has an ice rink at Christmas or events in the middle. Go to Shepherds Bush Station on central line.

If you like ice skating there's loads of places in London that has it around Christmas, I'm not sure where this year, but the London Eye and Somerset House usually has it.

There is usually a Christmas market on the Southbank, but you may need to google for dates.

Be warned it gets really busy around Christmas so prepare for crowds!
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 15th Sep 16, 9:21 PM
    • 6,388 Posts
    • 4,767 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 15th Sep 16, 9:21 PM
    • 15th Sep 16, 9:21 PM
    You are brave going anywhere near Hamleys!
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 16th Sep 16, 8:20 AM
    • 1,489 Posts
    • 1,232 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 16th Sep 16, 8:20 AM
    • 16th Sep 16, 8:20 AM
    I don't know how far south you live - but I would highly recommend Edinburgh rather then London for a Christmas city break - its so beautiful! The Ice rink and German market in Princess St gardens are the best I have ever been to and the understated fairy lights on the trees on Castle Hill are magical. The architecture of the city lends itself so well to Christmas - almost every street in the old town looks like a Christmas Card.
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 16th Sep 16, 3:28 PM
    • 5,073 Posts
    • 35,137 Thanks
    newgirly
    • 16th Sep 16, 3:28 PM
    • 16th Sep 16, 3:28 PM
    M and M world if you have a nine year old would probably go down well, although it is always very busy- but so is everywhere else!

The snowman at the peacock is very reasonably priced for a theatre show, I'm going to book for my girly shopping day this year. I have to say I would personally skip Westfield it's not as central and most of the shops are in regent/Oxford street anyway.

Have fun
    MFW 21
    Target for 2016 30,000 \ 72,350.11 paid so far

Mortgage 63,080 5 yrs 8 months left. Total owed 92,893.96. Fridge fund 0

Weight loss 2016 - 17.25 lb lost 40lb target
    • Mimi Arc en ciel
    • By Mimi Arc en ciel 16th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    • 4,378 Posts
    • 5,686 Thanks
    Mimi Arc en ciel
    • 16th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    • 16th Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    You are brave going anywhere near Hamleys!
    Originally posted by daveyjp
    haha will be our 3rd trip into hamleys (once before in London and once in Glasgow) I hate the place but the kids love it (Plus choccy is round the corner)

I don't know how far south you live - but I would highly recommend Edinburgh rather then London for a Christmas city break - its so beautiful! The Ice rink and German market in Princess St gardens are the best I have ever been to and the understated fairy lights on the trees on Castle Hill are magical. The architecture of the city lends itself so well to Christmas - almost every street in the old town looks like a Christmas Card.
    Originally posted by TheGardener
    We've just got back from Glasgow, maybe next year though, thanks for the info

M and M world if you have a nine year old would probably go down well, although it is always very busy- but so is everywhere else!

The snowman at the peacock is very reasonably priced for a theatre show, I'm going to book for my girly shopping day this year. I have to say I would personally skip Westfield it's not as central and most of the shops are in regent/Oxford street anyway.

Have fun
    Originally posted by newgirly
    Theatre - we plan on skipping the theatre in London (unfortunately) - its a tradition that we go to the panto on Christmas eve

M&M world sounds fab, definitley need to go there
    Very proud mummy of 2!
    • Bollotom
    • By Bollotom 16th Sep 16, 7:49 PM
    • 920 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    Bollotom
    • 16th Sep 16, 7:49 PM
    • 16th Sep 16, 7:49 PM
    Rail tickets with the Network Rail logo get you quite a few 2 for 1s. Have a shufty at the link.

https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london
    • martindow
    • By martindow 17th Sep 16, 11:18 AM
    • 6,484 Posts
    • 3,479 Thanks
    martindow
    • 17th Sep 16, 11:18 AM
    • 17th Sep 16, 11:18 AM
    Originally posted by newgirly
    M and M World's attraction always astonishes me with crowds emerging with carrier bags of sweets. Do you really want a child with a manic sugar rush?
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 17th Sep 16, 2:49 PM
    • 3,379 Posts
    • 2,822 Thanks
    Sharon87
    • 17th Sep 16, 2:49 PM
    • 17th Sep 16, 2:49 PM
    M and M World's attraction always astonishes me with crowds emerging with carrier bags of sweets. Do you really want a child with a manic sugar rush?
    Originally posted by martindow
    It's not just sweets, it's merchandise like t-shirts, toys, sweet dispensers.etc It's worth a look in if you like M&Ms! But very expensive to buy M&Ms lol.

I know Westfield White City is not central London, but it's only a short tube ride away from Oxford Street on the central line and is a much nicer shopping experience, especially if it rains! It also has the 'posh' part in the Village to visit, as well as really good restaurants. As a Londoner I avoid Oxford Street near Christmas as much as possible and go to Westfield. Yes it's still busy but there's more room to walk and is warmer inside and the Christmas decorations usually are amazing. If you're going with kids they're less likely to get trod on! lol, plus they have a whole kids section near the Lego store to keep them entertained.
    (I don't work for Westfield btw lol, I just like going there!)

Foodwise I would suggest avoid Oxford Street and venture into Soho - a couple minutes walk and you will find amazing restaurants/cafes, depending on what you fancy. Google maps is your friend to find hidden amazing restaurants.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 18th Sep 16, 11:28 AM
    • 6,484 Posts
    • 3,479 Thanks
    martindow
    It's not just sweets, it's merchandise like t-shirts, toys, sweet dispensers.etc It's worth a look in if you like M&Ms! But very expensive to buy M&Ms lol.
    Originally posted by Sharon87
    I have been in and found it hard to see the attraction. I'm obviously in the minority as it was packed with tourists emerging with carrier bags full of stuff. The lighting is so bright it's a relief to emerge into sunlight!

http://londonist.com/2015/10/why-the-hell-do-people-go-to-m-m-s-world
    • Mimi Arc en ciel
    • By Mimi Arc en ciel 22nd Sep 16, 12:48 PM
    • 4,378 Posts
    • 5,686 Thanks
    Mimi Arc en ciel
    I have been in and found it hard to see the attraction. I'm obviously in the minority as it was packed with tourists emerging with carrier bags full of stuff. The lighting is so bright it's a relief to emerge into sunlight!

http://londonist.com/2015/10/why-the-hell-do-people-go-to-m-m-s-world
    Originally posted by martindow

Lighting is awful! maybe its so you don't see the prices?! I'll be mindful to take some shades
    Very proud mummy of 2!
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 23rd Sep 16, 3:50 PM
    • 5,073 Posts
    • 35,137 Thanks
    newgirly
    I think most 9 year olds wouldn't mind a visit to massive chocolate shop! Perhaps not as fun for parents who are paying
    MFW 21
    Target for 2016 30,000 \ 72,350.11 paid so far

Mortgage 63,080 5 yrs 8 months left. Total owed 92,893.96. Fridge fund 0

Weight loss 2016 - 17.25 lb lost 40lb target
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 24th Sep 16, 8:58 PM
    • 12,985 Posts
    • 115,873 Thanks
    zagubov
    When you're in central London you can find most attractions near tube stations using this tube map. But better still use the buses (sit on the top deck and enjoy the view)- your 9yo will love the view!. These are some of the ones that show you the touristy bits (they're just ordinary buses so you use your Oyster card), and maybe use this website to find stuff to do.

and this one to find the shops.

You may not need to get an Oyster card if you have a contactless bank card but mine never works!

If you decide to do Edinburgh use this website.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,110Posts Today

5,986Users online

Martin's Twitter