Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • juliavix
    • By juliavix 13th Sep 16, 2:27 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    juliavix
    0 WOW
    Ski clothing - HELP!!
    • 13th Sep 16, 2:27 PM
    0 WOW
    Ski clothing - HELP!! 13th Sep 16 at 2:27 PM
    We're due to go on our first family ski holiday - with 3 kids - in February 2017. Horrified to see that 'middle range' ski clothing for the 5 of us could easily run to £1,500-2,000! The price of this stuff is enough to make you faint!
    Does anyone know where I can find some good quality (don't want miserable cold damp kids!) to buy or perhaps rent?
    Thank you
    julia x
Page 1
    • Blue264
    • By Blue264 13th Sep 16, 3:38 PM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    Blue264
    • 13th Sep 16, 3:38 PM
    • 13th Sep 16, 3:38 PM
    I really would consider Ebay, particularly for the kids as they'll only get one season's wear out of them, and because it's out of season still.

Look on the shop websites for the fabric names of the clothes you would prefer, and search Ebay by those names.

http://www.en.dare2b.com/

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/clearance/ski/
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 13th Sep 16, 3:39 PM
    • 9,041 Posts
    • 19,633 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 13th Sep 16, 3:39 PM
    • 13th Sep 16, 3:39 PM
    Tk maxx if you don't want to go second hand
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Sep 16, 3:54 PM
    • 5,531 Posts
    • 13,680 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 13th Sep 16, 3:54 PM
    • 13th Sep 16, 3:54 PM
    EBay all the way for all of you, get the nicest stuff you can afford for a fixed budget & plan to resell it when you get back?

My school used to go on skiing trips, and the resale of ski gear was a standard practice.

Above all, Do The Exercises. "Sitting" against a wall for as long as your legs can stand it etc is not at all fun, but ye gods, if you're going skiing & can't move after day two, you've bought a *very* expensive holiday.

Some possible articles to consider are here, here (although if you do have seriously knowledgeable & or best of all qualified instructors in the family network, Of Course ask them!), here & here (complex, but probably worth the effort I think).
    Then please do not break your leg at an early stage (or ideally At All). It's Extremely Boring, the jokes get repetitive & while the repatriation techniques are well rehearsed that does not make them at all fun.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 13th Sep 16, 4:20 PM
    • 16,936 Posts
    • 6,804 Thanks
    richardw
    • 13th Sep 16, 4:20 PM
    • 13th Sep 16, 4:20 PM
    Aldi and Lidl do ski clothing occasionally.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • tinabina
    • By tinabina 13th Sep 16, 4:57 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tinabina
    • 13th Sep 16, 4:57 PM
    • 13th Sep 16, 4:57 PM
    There's one or two places that hire out middle to top end gear - one is skismart.co.uk - Helly Hansen, Spyder etc - great if you want to treat yourself and they cover all kids ages and sizes. They also do a trial service if you want to check sizes ahead of your trip. Good luck anyway!
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 13th Sep 16, 5:40 PM
    • 17,063 Posts
    • 38,765 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 13th Sep 16, 5:40 PM
    • 13th Sep 16, 5:40 PM
    Decathlon do a great range of ski clothing, especially good value for children.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • jfdi
    • By jfdi 13th Sep 16, 6:02 PM
    • 930 Posts
    • 1,410 Thanks
    jfdi
    • 13th Sep 16, 6:02 PM
    • 13th Sep 16, 6:02 PM
    The Range usually have it in later in the year, and I've found cotton traders sale cheap for thin stuff to wear underneath.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Sep 16, 10:06 PM
    • 15,007 Posts
    • 10,761 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Sep 16, 10:06 PM
    • 13th Sep 16, 10:06 PM
    I'd echo TKMaxx, I got a very good ski jacket for £50 in December 2014. In fact, just checking the manufacturer's website they have some deals on there now that you might want to take a look at.

http://www.surfanic.co.uk/ski-jackets/
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 13th Sep 16, 11:37 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    michele-p
    Keep a look out for base layers with merino wool. Its really good at keeping moisture away from your skin (yes you will sweat a lot!) and you can get away with a quick wash midway through the week.

Aldi stuff is great. I have a pair of their merino long johns, bought in the sale for £8. I also have a pair of Icebreaker ones, worth around £50. Aldi ones are just as good. I prefer narutal merino to synthetic for freshness!

Also check out sports direct. My first ski jacket was £15 quid and was great. They usually have trousers, gloves (i like mittens to keep hands warmer) and i wear silk glove and sock liners, usuallt amazon a few quid but worth it. One pair of each, rinse out each night.

Good stuff doesnt have to cost a bomb.

Have fun!
    • Blue264
    • By Blue264 14th Sep 16, 10:02 AM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    Blue264
    ...and i wear silk glove and sock liners, usuallt amazon a few quid but worth it. One pair of each, rinse out each night.

Good stuff doesnt have to cost a bomb.

Have fun!
    Originally posted by michele-p
    Thank you! I forgot to mention silk glove and sock liners. They're worth their weight in gold. Back in the 80's, I got a few silk shirts in the sale at C&A (remember them? Still going strong in Switzerland!) and wore them as my base layer. It made a lot of difference.
    • JIreland
    • By JIreland 15th Sep 16, 9:56 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    JIreland
    ebay for jackets and salopettes, especially for kids stuff
    • Dave Z
    • By Dave Z 16th Sep 16, 3:15 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    Dave Z
    TK Maxx for me too. Me and the Mrs spent around £100 before our first trip together to Colorado in 2010 and got kitted out. Same gear is going with us back there in December and still not worn out. A lot of it is brands I've never really heard of but does the job.
    Debt-free date: 30/07/2010
    • creased-leach
    • By creased-leach 17th Sep 16, 4:12 PM
    • 1,447 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    creased-leach
    Aldi and Lidl will have their ranges in before you go.
    Only dead fish go with the flow...
    • Moby_Tide
    • By Moby_Tide 17th Sep 16, 11:33 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Moby_Tide
    We're onto year 3 of skiing and the kids have had to have new gear each year due to growing and we've changed our equipment through experience but we haven't spent more than £750 I imagine.

MandM direct/tk maxx/trespass/dare2b for coats
    Same for Salopettes
    Decathlon for thermals(and to be honest the rest of the gear if we'd known early enough)
    • tinabina
    • By tinabina 22nd Sep 16, 6:10 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tinabina
    I'd avoid the likes of Trespass Dare2b like the plague - won't take more than a light dusting of rain or snow to saturate = guaranteed misery. Fabrics are thin and clammy.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 22nd Sep 16, 6:19 PM
    • 1,236 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I think everywhere I thought of has been mentioned, including C&A which I used when I first went skiing back in the late 70s!

So Aldi/Lidl (who sell in the German/continetal market) have decent stuff including the accessories, as do Decathlon. I've a decent jacket from TX-Maxx and earlier this week I noticed they had the new season's stock in. Seconded the idea to get inner gloves, but that's partly me getting older and going in January to quite high altitudes!
    Remember fleeces and lower layers can get a fair bit of use in other circumstances, I use them both watching and playing football when it's really cold.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,067Posts Today

6,050Users online

Martin's Twitter