Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LittleDrum
    • By LittleDrum 13th Sep 16, 2:08 PM
    • 79Posts
    • 24Thanks
    LittleDrum
    New Car Damaged by Dealer
    • 13th Sep 16, 2:08 PM
    New Car Damaged by Dealer 13th Sep 16 at 2:08 PM
    My husband picked up his brand new 66 plate car yesterday, when he got home he noticed 2 quite considerable dents on either side of the roof - probably caused by the transporter offloading.

He took it back the dealer who agreed that's the likely cause. They have offered to repair it for him and are loaning him a replacement whilst his is being fixed.

Should he negotiate some kind of discount now for the "broken" car? or ask for a replacement brand new car?

It seems outrageous that he's bought a brand new car but in essence is a damaged vehicle!

Any advice would help!
Page 2
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 14th Sep 16, 1:54 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    m0bov
    What happens if he hands the car back at the end of the PCP and they notice the repaired damage??
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 14th Sep 16, 1:58 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    Oakdene
    Its highly doubtful they will, however I guess it wouldnt hurt to ask for a letter from the dealership (on headed paper) stating the car was damaged by the transportation company & they had it repaired...
    • rhysadams
    • By rhysadams 19th Sep 16, 12:03 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    rhysadams
    Reject it and ask for a replacement car, most of us know now that there aren't hundreds of cars sitting in fields, so you may need to wake a few weeks.

However when it comes to selling the vehicle and a salesman tells you that its been repaired and repainted and not up to scratch, you'll kick yourself. The best bodyshops in the world can't reproduce a factory finish.

Like someone else has said, it does happen all of the time. I got a warning once as my customers car had arrived with dints in the a pillar from the transporter, I rang and told the customer and gave them their money back (without permission), however I explained to the DP that if that was my car, I'd want my money back and wouldn't want a sub standard car. Wasn't long before I got promoted, believe it or not
    • bobbymotors
    • By bobbymotors 19th Sep 16, 8:56 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    bobbymotors
    I used to be a car dealer (now retired)

If the roof needs a couple of 'dent man' dents pushed out then thats fine you wont see the repair

But i can assure you that its impossible to repaint the roof of a car without it being noticeable. It's because it is directly in your eye line and (especially if metallic) you will see evidence of repair.

I've sold 5000 cars, I've never seen a good roof paint repair, it's just never quite right.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 20th Sep 16, 11:09 AM
    • 8,118 Posts
    • 5,231 Thanks
    neilmcl
    ^Totally agree with the above. Any flat (metallic paint) surface, such as roof or bonnet never looks perfect if repainted.

If it can be repaired via PDR (paintless dent removal) then fair enough.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 20th Sep 16, 1:51 PM
    • 12,572 Posts
    • 7,878 Thanks
    arcon5
    Reject it and ask for a replacement car, most of us know now that there aren't hundreds of cars sitting in fields, so you may need to wake a few weeks.

However when it comes to selling the vehicle and a salesman tells you that its been repaired and repainted and not up to scratch, you'll kick yourself. The best bodyshops in the world can't reproduce a factory finish.

Like someone else has said, it does happen all of the time. I got a warning once as my customers car had arrived with dints in the a pillar from the transporter, I rang and told the customer and gave them their money back (without permission), however I explained to the DP that if that was my car, I'd want my money back and wouldn't want a sub standard car. Wasn't long before I got promoted, believe it or not
    Originally posted by rhysadams
    If you worked for me you'd be going through the disciplinary process! It's not for you to make such decisions without permission so you shouldn't be doing so! Your personal opinion matters only as much as your manager lets it, afterall ultimately you represent the company and THEIR ethos, not your own.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 20th Sep 16, 2:15 PM
    • 8,456 Posts
    • 9,494 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    If you worked for me you'd be going through the disciplinary process!
    Originally posted by arcon5
    You'd discipline one of your workers for giving a customer what they are legally entitled to?
    • Suman Verma
    • By Suman Verma 21st Sep 16, 10:16 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Suman Verma
    If I would have been at his place, I would have surely opt for a brand new car instead of the repaired one. Well, that's me but I am not saying that there is something wrong with the fixed one. Check it yourself and once satisfied go with the alternative best suited for you.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 22nd Sep 16, 5:40 AM
    • 12,572 Posts
    • 7,878 Thanks
    arcon5
    You'd discipline one of your workers for giving a customer what they are legally entitled to?
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    I'd discipline a worker for not following company procedure/policy.

There's no suggestion the company wouldn't have met their obligations and refunded anyway, doesn't change the fact it's clearly not within ops job description or list of duties. If refunds have to be authorised by certain individuals within the organisation and an employee acts of his own accord with nothing but disregard for the systems in place then that's tough, the employee should rightfully be disciplined!
    Last edited by arcon5; 22-09-2016 at 5:44 AM.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 22nd Sep 16, 10:18 AM
    • 8,456 Posts
    • 9,494 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    I'd discipline a worker for not following company procedure/policy
    Originally posted by arcon5
    So, if the customer was legally entitled to a full refund, you knew that they were entitled to this and your employee also knew this and you said that a refund would eventually be given, what possible benefit is there to either the customer or the business in making the customer wait for their money simply because it's company policy?
    All company policies and rules don't have to se set in stone and an employee with a bit of common sense and initiative is often far better than a "yes man" who never thinks for himself.

Surely a prompt refund would keep the customer happy and would help ensure that you kept their business and that they would recommend you to others.
    IMO, it seems that rhysadam's boss understood the need for good customer service a bit more than you do.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

193Posts Today

1,784Users online

Martin's Twitter