Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 12th Sep 16, 7:13 PM
    • 12,667Posts
    • 24,103Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    BBC Loses Great British Bake off
    • 12th Sep 16, 7:13 PM
    BBC Loses Great British Bake off 12th Sep 16 at 7:13 PM
    The current series will be the last Series of Great British Bake Off on the BBC.

Seems Love Productions are after money the Beeb just does not have.

https://twitter.com/bbcpress/status/775391890384490496
    “Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, A Hat Full of Sky
Page 4
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 13th Sep 16, 6:05 PM
    • 14,938 Posts
    • 26,889 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    I think they'll have shot themselves in the foot if they've sold the show without the four presenters as part of the package.
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 13th Sep 16, 6:08 PM
    • 14,938 Posts
    • 26,889 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    I watch Master Chef but never tried the Bake Off. There's only so much TV I can cope with, and I think cooking shows have reached saturation. Even Master Chef has four different "flavours" (amateur, professional, celebrity and junior) - I only watch the amateur and professional version, otherwise I'd be watching it non-stop.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    I think it's ok if you're only currently watching one - I don't think I'd watch both Bake Off and Masterchef if they were being broadcast in tandem.
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 13th Sep 16, 6:12 PM
    • 14,938 Posts
    • 26,889 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    These 3.

I quite like GBBO, although I have only got into it this past 3 years. I don't understand why people have a problem with people enjoying it. If you don't fancy watching it, then don't watch it. Simples. It's not the best or most riveting show ever, but it's good... It's basically just a bit of light entertainment...

As for BBC; they have a nerve charging £145 a year for the tv licence! I don't watch anything except Happy Valley! Even Doctor Who is is rubbish now, and The Voice has gone to ITV!

I never listen to any BBC radio stations either.

I really resent paying for the licence!
    Originally posted by Lily-Rose
    Try BBC4 - it accounts for about half of my viewing and is worth every penny just on its own.

I wish everything else was as good value as the TV licence at less than 40p a day - you can't buy a cup of tea for that!
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 13th Sep 16, 6:21 PM
    • 3,604 Posts
    • 6,904 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    I think its a shame it will go from the BBC.

The BBC is what made it what it is, now the programme makers have got all greedy and want more, if it wasn't for the BBC and the fact they took a chance with it in the first place then there wouldn't be a programme worth millions to sell.

I don't think it will work on CH4 with the adverts and as someone has said there will probably be a viewers vote as in x factor to pay for it. I will not be watching it once it moves and althought its a great programme, in some ways I hope it fails, will serve the programme makers right. Rant over
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 13th Sep 16, 6:40 PM
    • 10,170 Posts
    • 13,106 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    If GBBO had moved to ITV, there would have been a compulsory Jeremy Kyle appearance on every other show.

(Adam Crozier loves himself some Simon Cowell and Jeremy Kyle.)

No loss to me, as long as it never affects my Sherlock Holmes and Touch of Frost watching on ITV Hub
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    If Putin invades, I'm not worried: you, however, should be.
    • Lily-Rose
    • By Lily-Rose 13th Sep 16, 7:04 PM
    • 1,940 Posts
    • 6,239 Thanks
    Lily-Rose
    Oh no, that's not good
    If Mary and Paul quit too then channel 4 are going to be royally screwed, imagine spending millions on a TV show and then losing the people that make it so popular?
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    How disappointing that they are leaving. I wonder why?

I like watching them.

GBBO is finished now IMO. This will see the end of it I reckon............
    Proud to have lost over 3 stone (45 pounds,) in the past year! Now a size 14!

Proud to be debt free.

Slave to 2 mad cats.
    • melbury
    • By melbury 13th Sep 16, 8:42 PM
    • 8,738 Posts
    • 12,049 Thanks
    melbury
    I think they'll have shot themselves in the foot if they've sold the show without the four presenters as part of the package.
    Originally posted by missbiggles1
    That would be hilarious

C4 could always get the dreadful Ant and Dec to present it, if of course they could afford to pay their inflated salaries.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

• SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 15th Sep 16, 12:50 PM
    • 20,535 Posts
    • 35,139 Thanks
    SailorSam
    In the wake of the proposed move to C4, it seems fans of the show are watching as much of the Bbc version as they can. Viewing figures for the Wednesday show were half million higher.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37371586
    Catch it while you can, while stocks last.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
    • rainbowfairydust
    • By rainbowfairydust 15th Sep 16, 6:03 PM
    • 15,933 Posts
    • 46,230 Thanks
    rainbowfairydust
    Oh no, that's not good
    If Mary and Paul quit too then channel 4 are going to be royally screwed, imagine spending millions on a TV show and then losing the people that make it so popular?
    I am wondering if Mary & Paul are tied into BBC contracts as they both have cooking shows which are shown on BBC 2.

For me, part of why the show works is the combination of presenters and judges - i find mel and sue amusing. Mary is like your granny and while i think Paul is a little too big for his boots these days - he has been there since the start and is part of the furniture. I couldnt imagine Jamie Oliver as a replacement.

I am really not sure if i will watch when it moves - it will depend on the presenters and of course the judges. I am also put off by the fact there will be adverts which will cut the actual show down by 15 minutes.

I think it is a great shame that love productions want £25 million - its sheer greed imo. I dont blame the beeb for not shelling out that much - especially given the fact they are under so much pressure and scrutiny at the moment.

Time will tell as how it pans out..

ETA - Another reason Bake off is so popular is because the contestants are "normal people" , and i cant help wonder if C4 will go for the "young & the beautiful" - which of course are not an accurate representation of the population.
    Last edited by rainbowfairydust; 15-09-2016 at 6:06 PM.
    Mature Student
    2015 - 2018

Year One Done

Year Two - 26/9/16
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 22nd Sep 16, 10:30 AM
    • 5,879 Posts
    • 18,660 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Berry quits!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3801031/Paul-Hollywood-spotted-sneaking-secret-Bake-talks-Channel-4.html
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 22nd Sep 16, 10:46 AM
    • 10,126 Posts
    • 18,081 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    I'd say no real surprise there. Mary Berry has got to be one of the most 'BBC person' in the business.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 22nd Sep 16, 10:49 AM
    • 5,879 Posts
    • 18,660 Thanks
    fairy lights
    I'd say no real surprise there. Mary Berry has got to be one of the most 'BBC person' in the business.
    Originally posted by worldtraveller
    I'm not surprised either.
    Can't believe Paul Hollywood is still in talks with channel 4 though. Judas. Although having said that I bet they're absolutely desperate to keep him now and he can probably name his price.
    • hunters
    • By hunters 22nd Sep 16, 11:29 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    hunters
    Can't believe Paul Hollywood is still in talks with channel 4 though. Judas. Although having said that I bet they're absolutely desperate to keep him now and he can probably name his price.
    I'd say he can't afford to quit, his name doesn't have quite the pull that Mary Berry has.
    • JulieElizabeth
    • By JulieElizabeth 22nd Sep 16, 11:55 AM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 27,719 Thanks
    JulieElizabeth
    Mel and Sue make this show for me (esp Mel)
    NO MORE HANDWASH GLITCHES PLEASE
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 22nd Sep 16, 11:57 AM
    • 761 Posts
    • 2,093 Thanks
    kathrynha
    BBC are reporting that Paul is staying with the show. Not overly surprised. Wonder how much channel 4 have offered him
    Living within my means and saving what's left
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 22nd Sep 16, 12:06 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    Oakdene
    Judas? Hardly...

There is talk that he wants to do a TV show about motor cycles which the BBC said they didnt want to do so perhaps C4 have said they'll do it,,,
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 22nd Sep 16, 12:11 PM
    • 5,879 Posts
    • 18,660 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Judas? Hardly...

There is talk that he wants to do a TV show about motor cycles which the BBC said they didnt want to do so perhaps C4 have said they'll do it,,,
    Originally posted by Oakdene
    I was hoping he would stay with the BBC and the four of them would be put together again in a new format. But I suppose Paul is the most replaceable of the lot really, he's only there as the token eye candy.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 22nd Sep 16, 12:12 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    Oakdene
    I was hoping he would stay with the BBC and the four of them would be put together again in a new format. But I suppose Paul is the most replaceable of the lot really, he's only there as the token eye candy.
    Yeah a friend of mine says theres 'something' about him
    • Dill
    • By Dill 22nd Sep 16, 12:28 PM
    • 1,604 Posts
    • 2,961 Thanks
    Dill
    It will be interesting to see what BakeOff fans will make of the new format/presenters. If Top Gear is anything to go by it'll be difficult at first!
    • A Pict In A Past Life
    • By A Pict In A Past Life 22nd Sep 16, 1:13 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    A Pict In A Past Life
    Please, PLEASE don't let Simon Cowell have anything to do with a "replacement" for GBBO Auntie Beeb.
    "I have got an idea for a new bread show, which involves cakes and innuendos and the BBC can have the contract for life" says Cowell in yesterday's Independent.
    Dinnae fash yersel' - 'tis but a forum.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,724Posts Today

6,392Users online

Martin's Twitter